Predrag MIJATOVIĆ | 1995-1996 & 1996-1998

Moderators: Korinov, Adrien, Albo7, Brezza, jurgens

clinon

Predrag MIJATOVIĆ | 1995-1996 & 1996-1998

Postby clinon » 2009 Jun 28, 16:58

Nickname: "Peđa"

Club: Valencia CF

INFO:

One of finest footballers from Yugoslavia during 1990s. He had very refined technique, good sense for goal and he positioned himself very well during the attacks. Although he mostly played as SS or CF, in Valencia he was sometimes used as winger (very successfully). In national team he was mostly used as pure striker.

Despite the fact that in most cases he wasn't used as CF in Valencia, he managed to score 28 goals in 40 games, during 1995-1996 season. He also managed to have a few great assists during the same season.

Nickname: "Peđa"

Club: Real Madrid

Mijatovic (in the middle) scores one of Real's most important goals ever, the one that conquered the 7th European Cup for the "Merengues".

INFO:

Unlike most people think, Mijatović didn't become "a deadly center forward" when joining Madrid, on the contrary. Many of his goals came mainly from his runs from wide-in, from the flank into the rival's area, resulting in true beautys from time to time.

He would often accompany Raul, Šuker or Morientes, never as a main striker, but always a reliable attacking resource. Not typically a goalscorer, the Yugoslavian would often score when needed, proving himself as a key member in Real's front line back then, but none of his almost 30 goals scored with "Merengues" matched the one he scored against Del Piero's and Zidane's Juventus, at Amsterdam Arena, during the Final that catapulted him into the privileged list of players who'd manage to win trophies "by themselves".

May 20th 1998, was the day chosen for Predrag to make his way into history. Around 65th minute, he made an incredible run from wide and was able to retain a rebound from a Roberto Carlos shot, he dribbled, cheated Peruzzi and scored with a subtle touch, the most important goal he'd ever score, the one that gave Real Madrid the 7th European Cup (now Champions League). The 29 year old Mijatović had a date with History, and he didn't disappoint.

After finishing his spell at Bernabeu, Mijatović went to play for Fiorentina and Levante, before retiring as a professional footballer, but his link with Real Madrid went further than his pressence as a player and in 2006, he became Sport Director of the club, until 2009, when subbed by another club legend: Jorge Valdano.

He won 1 Spanish Liga, 1 Spain Super Cup, 1 International Supercup and the mentioned European Cup while playing for Real Madrid, in only 3 seasons.

VIDEOS:

ADDITIONAL LINKS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predrag_Mijatovic

http://www.reprezentacija.rs/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1294&Itemid=12

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/statisticsandrecords/players/player=54219/index.html

http://www.worldfootball.net/spieler_profil/predrag-mijatovic/

Last edited by clinon on 2009 Oct 01, 18:45, edited 5 times in total.
coolactive

Re: Predrag MIJATOVIC | 1995/1996

Postby coolactive » 2009 Jun 29, 08:52

Thanx for the stats, I was about to make his stats for earlier period but this will do fine.
A few things to discuss :
Defence : 40
I did not expect such a "high" value. Imo, he never passed 38 :P
+ Remove AMF, even as optional, because I never seen him play nothing but attack. WF is doubrfull, but , in his Valencia days I remember him play there few times.
http://www.fcradnicki-nis.com/
FK Radnički Niš Stadium Reconstruction : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVC8KPA70hM
Classical

Postby Classical » 2009 Jun 29, 11:17

When he was in Valencia he did play sometimes as a winger. And I think he could claim some extra points in TS and ACC, no?
When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. Eric Cantona
clinon

Postby clinon » 2009 Jul 10, 16:01

Updated a bit ;)
as_10

Re: Predrag MIJATOVIC | 1995-1996

Postby as_10 » 2009 Dec 11, 15:56

If the era is 95-96 then nationality isn't Yugoslavia anymore, should be Montenegro(I'm sure he was from there).

I hope my history knowledge is correct. :lol:
I want my son Brooklyn to be christianized, but I still don't know in which religion - David Beckham
coolactive

Postby coolactive » 2009 Dec 11, 19:59

No it is not. ;)
Even in France '98 he played for Yugoslavia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_FIFA_World_Cup
Later it was SCG [Serbia&Montenegro] and at the end - Serbia solo and Montenegro solo...

Yugoslav national team matches 1990-1999
http://reprezentacija.rs/cgi-bin/index. ... tak=199099

Predrag Mijatović page @ reprezentacija.rs :
http://reprezentacija.rs/cgi-bin/index. ... %20Predrag
FK Radnički Niš Stadium Reconstruction : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVC8KPA70hM
as_10

Postby as_10 » 2009 Dec 11, 22:31

Oh I see, I thought when Yugoslavia disappeared all nations became indepentent at once, but Serbia and Montenegro stayed together and formed a "new" Yugoslavia.

Then shouldn't it be "Montenegro _mne (Yugoslavian at the time)"?
I want my son Brooklyn to be christianized, but I still don't know in which religion - David Beckham
coolactive

Postby coolactive » 2009 Dec 11, 22:33

No. Back then it was just Yugoslavia. Let us leave it at that. Mijatovic would not mind - he earned his fame under a Yugoslav colours so....
Plava Čigra

Re: Predrag MIJATOVIĆ | 1995-1996

Postby Plava Čigra » 2010 Jan 15, 13:21

Updated to fit the new format.

Changes...

Top Speed: 82>83,
Acceleration: 84>85,
Dribble Accuracy: 85>86,
Long Pass Accuracy: 79>80,
Long Pass Speed: 76>78,
Team Work: 80>82,

Form/Condition/Fitness: 6>7.
Rubedo

Postby Rubedo » 2010 May 14, 14:20

He needs an update.

First of all, he needs his era extended to 1998, because in 1997 he won The Silver Ball, as the second best player of Europe, behind only Ronaldo, and ahead of Zidane, and in '98 he scored that famous goal in the Champions League final against Juventus. He actually went to the World Cup as one of the brightest stars of European football, but he failed completely. Not only did he play bad, or average at best, but he also hit that legendary crossbar from the penalty spot against the Netherlands. :(

Eh... When I remember... :(

He could possibly see some of his stats updated too.
"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music." - George Carlin
Plava Čigra

Postby Plava Čigra » 2010 May 14, 14:28

These are his stats at Valencia. I talked with their original creator and he saw his Valencia games and wanted to capture his stats from that Era. He changed a bit when he was in Real.
Rubedo

Postby Rubedo » 2010 May 14, 14:33

So, you think we should create another version of him?

In that case, get down to business, since you know I won't do it. :P
"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music." - George Carlin
Plava Čigra

Postby Plava Čigra » 2010 May 14, 14:44

I'll skip that for now. I'm currently focused on updating already created players.
Fevernova

Predrag MIJATOVIĆ | 1996-1998

Postby Fevernova » 2010 May 27, 19:32

*** First Post ***
Last edited by Fevernova on 2010 May 31, 20:44, edited 3 times in total.
It takes nothing to join the crowd, it takes everything to stand alone
Plava Čigra

Postby Plava Čigra » 2010 May 28, 10:03

I'm glad somebody gave his Real stats a try. Here are my observations, although it's all from my memory (maybe in the future I'll re-watch Real games from 1996-1998 period).

1. Era should be changed to 1996-1998. His best 2 years in Real (1998-1999 wasn't too successful season for him and I think these stats don't represent that season).

2. You're right Mijatović wasn't a deadly CF in Real, but I also think that his primary position was *SS (maybe playing a bit wide sometimes). Besides that I'm not that sure that CF should be completely erased from secondary positions, because I believe he was used as CF in national team (and occasionally in Real). And for the end, I think that AMF could be considered as optional due to his ability to sometimes act like a playmaker and drop deeper (I'm not 100% sure that he started his games in that position, because of that I wrote that it could be considered).

For his Valencia set SMF could be considered as secondary/optional position (again, I'm not 100% sure, but he sometimes dropped deeper as side midfielder and provided passes for his teammates).

3. When I was chatting with clinon (a few months ago), he tried to convince me that Mijatović doesn't need higher TS and ACC. I somehow explained him that he deserves at least small boost, although in my opinion, he deserved something like TS: 86, ACC: 88 (for Valencia stats). I think TS: 85 and ACC: 87 (for Real stats) is ok (I think that gap between his ACC and TS should be 2 points, because I remember that he would often use ACC to get starting advantage over his opponents). He was still fast, but I think that he lost a bit of his speed.

4. WFA: 8 is questionable... Although his ball control and shooting with his left foot was very good, I think WFA: 7 suits him better.

These are the things I remember. There are a few more things in the stats that doesn't feel right, but since I'm too unsure about them (my memory might be wrong), I won't comment now (maybe after I re-watch his games from that era).
Fevernova

Postby Fevernova » 2010 May 31, 20:30

OK, Plava, when U feel U´re ready to make a full update, feel free to make any changes, for now I´m changing the era and positions, as U suggested... ;)

PS-1: I posted Zidane´s Bordeaux era a few months ago, and they haven´t been added to the first post, I think that they completes his growth rate (Bordeaux-Juve-Madrid). It's in page 7

PS-2: I sent both, U and Brezza a younger Maradona version when still playing for Argentinos and Boca, with some considerations, I'd like to know what U guys think...

Thanks!

Updated>

- Much wider PLAYER INFO
- Era and positions (based on Plava's suggests)
- Links
- Videos

Waiting for ur suggests regarding his abilities, Plava and onthers as well.

Cheers! ;)
It takes nothing to join the crowd, it takes everything to stand alone
gala2000

Re: Predrag MIJATOVIĆ | 1995-1996 | 1996-1998

Postby gala2000 » 2011 Sep 13, 13:37

i think balance can go up 1 or 2 he was ok in 1 v 1 duels for his size

balance 80-81
Korinov

Postby Korinov » 2011 Dec 23, 00:39

Got some suggestions for his Real Madrid (1996 - 98) set. First of all I'd like to say the set is already pretty good, I'm merely suggesting some minor tweaks.

Defence: 35 -> low 40s. As clear as water. He worked pretty hard in defensive tasks, specially in terms of pressing the opposition defenders when they had the ball, but also helping to regain the ball in the midfield when needed. A low 40 value is in order, considering how good he was at it (he recovered quite a number of balls indeed) I'd suggest something like 43 or so (one point over current-day Benzema).
Top Speed: 85 -> 84. Dunno about his time at Valencia, but I've seen several matches of him during the 1996 - 98 era and, while not being exactly "slow", he wasn't also a really fast player. Actually, he seemed to be faster and way more dangerous when moving on the ball rather than 'dart-running'. I've tested it ingame and 84 fits him perfectly... alonside other minor tweaks. Acceleration value is ok though, he had a pretty good burst, but TS should be slightly under prime David Villa.
Dribble Accuracy: 88 -> 89. I'm not going for oranges since his close ball control wasn't as clean nor fluent compared to players who actually sit on 90s, but I'm convinced he deserves a top yellow then, because this guy could really do amazing things when moving with the ball, in combination with his good Agi and great Acc he sometimes left the defenders on the ground, some of his movements (specially quick turns) were really impresive.
Dribble Speed: 84 -> 86. And this is also key. He wasn't exactly a typhoon when running with the ball, but he could actually keep a sustained speed on the ball which sometimes was enough to prevent defenders from closing down on him.
Passing: short passing values are ok, but about long passing ones... I'd downgrade LPS to 81 and upgrade LPA to 83, I consider his LPA could sit on the same level of his SPA. He was usually pretty accurate with both his short and long passing, finding teammates with relalative ease even in tight situations.
Shot Power: 82 -> 80/81. Rarely smashed it, he always favored placement and technique over power. Also usually shoot from inside the area, so a high value is not needed. With 80 or 81 we should be perfectly able to do ingame what he did on the pitch in regards to shot power.
Jump: 78 -> 79/80. I have some doubts here. To me his jumping was clearly better than 78, but I'm torn between a slight upgrade to 79 or moving him into yellows. He displayed from time to time a nice jumping ability, not espectacular but pretty decent, sometimes beating defenders taller than him. I'd probably leave it at 79.
Technique: 93 -> 94. He was the best ball trapper in the Real Madrid of his time, showing amazing controls quite frequently. Could kill almost any kind of ball with extreme ease and style... barely decent crosses, long aerial balls, even Hierro's incredibly strong ground passes, there wasn't a thing he couldn't 'tame'. He even made accurate backheeling passes... in mid air!
Mentality/Tenacity: 83 -> 85. Deserves a mid yellow at least. It could even go a bit higher, to 86 or so maybe. Pedja wasn't only a player of good mental strenght and strong character, he also kept running, dropping deep and trying even when he was clearly tired. I've seen some matches in which, by minute 90, he's still doing defensive tasks, then running forward like crazy despite showing clear signs of fatigue. A true example of a hard-working and technically skilled forward.
Team Work: 82 -> 84. As I've said, his work-rate was excellent. He was constantly moving, and throughout a match would appear in all offensive positions, helping in defensive tasks, providing support for teammates when needed, dropping to the sides when appropiate, etc. He must have been a true nightmare for defenders to chase around, since he didn't stop for a single moment.

Now, after such a wall of text, time to talk about some cards and special skills. First of all, *Lines is a must here. His ability to break the offside trap was impressive. He knew it better than anyone else, and so he also tried it often too, so maybe *Reaction and the Marauding card would also be recommendable. *Dribbling seems also obvious to me, considering his excellent on-the-ball movements and wide array of resources to get past defenders. As to replicate his behaviour on the pitch (moving constantly along the attack line without a well defined position), the Dummy Runner card seems perfect to me. And finally, as far as I've seen of his displays, the Shoulder Feint Skills card could also be a good idea.

Edit: added a technique suggestion.
Image Korinov la Komadreja
Spoiler: show
jurgens wrote:korinov clearly jinxed atletico. jealous of their succes he struck with kind words laced with hispanic voodoo.
amine wrote:Spanish vodoo is real. That’s my takeaway from this. When my gran children ask me about it, i’ll tell them about the era of xosé the great
Korinov

Postby Korinov » 2011 Dec 28, 22:28

Bump.
Image Korinov la Komadreja
Spoiler: show
jurgens wrote:korinov clearly jinxed atletico. jealous of their succes he struck with kind words laced with hispanic voodoo.
amine wrote:Spanish vodoo is real. That’s my takeaway from this. When my gran children ask me about it, i’ll tell them about the era of xosé the great
jurgens

Postby jurgens » 2011 Dec 31, 18:36

I'll leave this to someone esle as I don't like touching Plavas work.

Return to “90's”