PSD Backbone

Mauro Silva | 1992-1996 & 1998-2002

Postby PES Stats Database » 2009 May 10, 12:49

Name: Mauro da Silva Gomes

Club: Deportivo de La Coruña

Attack/Defence Awareness Card: Defence Minded

INFO:

Spoiler: show
If one were to award a prize for the single most under-rated football player in the world, Mauro Silva of Deportivo la Coruña would have to be a strong contender. For most fans everywhere outside Spain and his native Brazil, he is more than underrated, he is virtually unknown.

An everpresent for Brazil during their successful world cup campaign in '94, Mauro Silva went on to win 58 caps for his country. A midfield anchor man known for his positional play and tactical awareness, he was also very technically gifted and skillful. He represented Deportivo La Coruna for 13 years, during which time he was undoubtedly one of the teams most important players, eventually winning La Liga after many near misses.

One may state with conviction that if Arsenal manage to get the better of Mauro Silva in this week's Champions' League match against Deportivo at Highbury they will come out the winners. Should Vieira, Pires or Henry or anyone else doubt that Mauro – as he is known – is the key man for a team who have beaten Manchester United twice this season and who swept aside Juventus 10 days ago, let them ask their French team-mate Zidane, or Figo, or Raul, or any other of the superstars who play for Deportivo's most recent victims, Real Madrid.

They will say – should they have recovered the power of speech after the massive blow Deportivo inflicted on their morale – that, supremely skilled as they themselves might be, they were eclipsed by the Brazilian; that they threw everything they had at Deportivo in Wednesday's Spanish Cup final but that every move foundered on the rock that was Mauro Silva.

To play the most expensive collection of talent ever assembled – in a cup final, at the Bernabeu, on the very day of Real's 100th anniversary, before the king and queen of Spain, is quite a thing.

For a team with next to no reputation in the game, representing a fishing town of barely 250,000 people, to have gone out and beaten Real – a fair and square 2-1 victory – in a game that meant so much to the legendary Madrid club and their tens of millions of supporters worldwide represented a feat that some in the Spanish press compared to Uruguay's victory against Brazil in the 1950 World Cup final at Rio's Maracana.

Call it the mother of all spoilt parties; call it, as one Spanish paper did, a savage act of profanity. Whatever. It was a massive game. The kind of game that provides the ultimate test of a player's mettle, both as a footballer and as a man. The best player on the pitch, the lion king of the Bernabeu, was Mauro Silva.

Who is Mauro Silva and where, for that matter, does he play? Mauro Silva is the Roy Keane of Deportivo. He plays in the same position as Keane, in midfield just in front of the defence. But he is a more dignified version of the Irishman, a strong but silent type, a player who rises to the big occasion, a man of iron when nerves fray. A family man, about as far removed from the spoilt-brat type as one can imagine, he is a player who leads by mature example. Intelligent but self-effacing off the pitch, he is several steps ahead of most other players on it. If he is an excellent reader of the game in defence, it is also because, at 34 years old, he has been around.

The surprise is that none of the giants of Europe have sought to prise him away from north-west Spain, his home for the last 10 years. Because it is not as if he were some kind of late developer. He won the World Cup in 1994, and he was no bit player. He not only played in every game Brazil played, he started every time and was only substituted once.

He has since won the Spanish league and now the Spanish Cup. What remains is the European Cup. Or perhaps even the goal Deportivo players said they were gunning for in the euphoria of Wednesday's game at the Bernabeu: the big Treble, the one only Manchester United have ever won. Three other teams are competing with Deportivo for that singular achievement, and all three of them, remarkably enough, are in the Spanish side'sChampions' League group: Arsenal, Juventus and Bayer Leverkusen.

Deportivo are the only team with one trophy already in the bag. And since that one, given the nature of the opposition and the magnitude of the game, was as tough as any of the others are likely to be, the prospect of one of the least glamorous teams in Europe repeating the achievement of the fabled Manchester United no longer seems as improbable as it might have done. Should they do so, raise a glass to Mauro Silva, a man who gives the impression that nothing would please him less than to play for one of the flashy clubs. For the quiet Brazilian is the living, breathing spirit of Deportivo – a team whose mighty successes so far, never mind what glories the future may hold, send a message to the whole of the football

VIDEOS:

ADDITIONAL LINKS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauro_Silva

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauro_silva

http://www.deportivo-la-coruna.com/prof ... silva.html

http://en.sambafoot.com/articles/346_Ma ... age_1.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 53427.html

Last edited by vinnie on 2014 Apr 19, 07:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited format
Korinov
PSD Loyalty Program Member

Re: MAURO SILVA | 1991-1994

Postby Korinov » 2011 Mar 25, 15:55

Image Korinov la Komadreja
jurgens wrote:korinov clearly jinxed atletico. jealous of their succes he struck with kind words laced with hispanic voodoo.
amine wrote:Spanish vodoo is real. That’s my takeaway from this. When my gran children ask me about it, i’ll tell them about the era of xosé the great
JMVP

Postby JMVP » 2011 Mar 25, 17:21

He was really, really strong, but no need for 95 obviously. And he sure wasn't this fast, Essien or Makelele were faster.
xeneize
PSD Guru

Postby xeneize » 2011 Mar 25, 17:40

i going to ask about his TS and ACC too
THANKS FOR EVERYTHING, THERE WILL BE NOT ANOTHER LIKE YOU
JMVP

Postby JMVP » 2011 Mar 25, 17:41

Look,for BB give him the same you'd give Essien, for speed give him the same you'd give Gatusso, but with less acceleration.
Brezza

Postby Brezza » 2011 Mar 27, 16:58

Brazil's Roy Keane 8-) Updated to new format:

Updated stats Balance: 95 > 92 Top Speed: 84 > 79 Acceleration: 86 > 80 and standardized a few things

Although its likely a whole new set is needed like most of Blanka's stats, check Plava's great work for the 58 + 62 Brazil players. I need to watch him more first but he was more skilful than this

BTW I think a few classic 'hard' players are overrated in balance actually, time for some updates 8-)
JMVP

Re: MAURO SILVA | 1992-1994

Postby JMVP » 2011 Mar 27, 18:08

TW and response should also drop to mid eighties values, similar to Essien as well.
jurgens
Clear

Postby jurgens » 2011 Sep 05, 11:40

Updated to new format. Updated Rsponse 90 > 87. Updated teamwork 92 > 86.

Any other suggestions?
Korinov

Postby Korinov » 2011 Sep 05, 12:10

I'd drop his jump stats a little. Had a great jump and sometimes would impose himself in the air over taller players, but I think 89 may be a bit excessive. 87 or 88 would suit him better.

And what about extending his era a little? In 1992 - 94 he was 24 - 26 years old, and I believe he maintained these stats almost until his thirties (to be fair, he was still in a pretty good shape the previous seasons of his retirement year). Maybe 1992 - 96 would be more accurate for his peak.
jurgens wrote:korinov clearly jinxed atletico. jealous of their succes he struck with kind words laced with hispanic voodoo.
amine wrote:Spanish vodoo is real. That’s my takeaway from this. When my gran children ask me about it, i’ll tell them about the era of xosé the great
jurgens
Clear

Re: MAURO SILVA | 1992-1996

Postby jurgens » 2011 Sep 05, 12:19

Was thinking the same with Era. Extended Era and updated jump. Also I'd say he wasn't worth such a high def at this age... he got better in this regard as he aged. Maybe a second set for his later years would be nice to have. I have no idea where to start on that though.
Korinov

Postby Korinov » 2011 Sep 05, 13:14

Yup, defensively he got better with time, I'd say 80 would be enough for 1992 - 96.

About a second set for later years, I find it a good idea. Let's give it a try:

Mauro Silva | 1998 - 2002

Name: Mauro da Silva Gomes

Era: 90's
Name: MAURO SILVA
Shirt Name: MAURO SILVA
Number: 5
Positions: DM, CB
Nationality: Brazilian

Height: 177 cm
Weight: 85 kg (estimated)

Injury Tolerance: A
Foot: R
Side: B

Attack: 61
Defence: 82
Balance: 89
Stamina: 87
Top Speed: 74
Acceleration: 78
Response: 85
Agility: 76
Dribble Accuracy: 73
Dribble Speed: 69
Short Pass Accuracy: 77
Short Pass Speed: 77
Long Pass Accuracy: 73
Long Pass Speed: 74
Shot Accuracy: 64
Shot Power: 86
Shot Technique: 65
Free Kick Accuracy: 64
Curling: 68
Header: 80
Jump: 85
Technique: 81
Aggression: 60
Mentality: 93
Keeper Skills: 50
Teamwork: 88

Condition/Fitness: 7
Weak Foot Accuracy: 5
Weak Foot Frequency: 5

Same special abilities, player/index cards and att/def awareness (DEF).

He retired at the end of the 2004/05 season, at 37 years old if I remember correctly. If anyone wonders about those latest years in his career, he never experienced a sudden massive drop and maintained a pretty decent shape until his very retirement. He was still a key player for Deportivo until his last season, when he appeared "only" in 20 matches, with longtime understudy (nice writing here Wikipedia) Aldo Duscher progressively assuming his role.
Last edited by Korinov on 2011 Sep 05, 22:08, edited 2 times in total.
jurgens
Clear

Postby jurgens » 2011 Sep 05, 21:32

Would probably be best to take stamina down a few points, and BB at 88/89. I'd rather go with a lower def on both er'as.... 80 for young... 82 for old. 83 would make him the highest def DMF in the modern database. Would like to hear some more opinions on these sets.
Korinov

Postby Korinov » 2011 Sep 05, 22:09

Agreed, changes done.
jurgens
Clear

Postby jurgens » 2011 Sep 06, 05:20

I'll leave attack at 65 as it's already a very low number, and change his def awarness to solde defense. Added the set to second post, looks good to me, maybe could tweak his da/tech and passing stats a little.
Korinov

Postby Korinov » 2011 Sep 06, 08:39

To be fair, he may deserve a slight increase in both DA and Passing (in both sets). I'm looking at Makélélé's stats right now, and he's much better than Mauro in those areas, whereas in reality Mauro was much more unlikely to give away possession. I mean, Makelele was a hard worker, recovered a lot of balls and all that, but he also lost many due to his poor game vision and sometimes unnacurate passing. Mauro was slower than Makelele and didn't have as much stamina as him, but he needed to recover less balls mainly because he also didn't hand them to the opposition.

I prefer to be cautious about suggesting great upgrades for Mauro since I believe Makelele's passing is clearly overrated in his current classic set. So I'll just propose small changes. The following for both sets:

DA: 73 -> 76 or even 77 (he wasn't clumsy with the ball at all)
SPA: 77 -> 79
SPS: 77 -> 78
LPA: 73 -> 75

I find his current LPS, on the other hand, to be pretty fine.

I'd also suggest a small increase of ATT for his older set. While being clearly a defensive midfielder not prone to participate in offensive tasks, he did went forward a few times, even creating some goal opportunities and giving a few assists in those years. Maybe 68 could do fine.

Video with some examples (actually, I didn't remember he had such classy movements at passing):

Edit: Ah, nevermind, it's the same video featured in the first post.
Korinov

Postby Korinov » 2011 Oct 26, 17:19

Would like to insist again about his dribbling and passing. He wasn't this clumsy at dribbling nor unnacurate at passing, at all. I mean, the guy almost never lost a ball and yet here he has far worse dribbling and passing skills than 90% current-day DMFs.

My point about dribbling in the previous post still stands, but now I would also recommend to take Short Pass into top greens/low yellows. Sort of 81/79 for SPA/SPS and 76/75 for LPA/LPS. Although he usually didn't take any risks, his passing was very consistant and as I said earlier almost never gave the ball away.

My eyes hurt each time I see people like Makelele or Mascherano dwelling around low yellows for all their passing skills and then Mauro Silva at whites :cry:
jurgens
Clear

Postby jurgens » 2011 Oct 27, 04:13

Updated DA, SPA, SPS. I'll leave lpa at 73, thats a fine value really.
Korinov

Postby Korinov » 2011 Nov 13, 22:57

I'd suggest a raise in Teamwork. I've been checking other classic DMF's values and 86/88 seems to low for a player who had such a game-reading ability and was able to help his teanmates exactly when needed. The Anchor Man card will prevent him from moving too much even with a very high TW value, so I don't think we're at risk of making him a Lass-type DMF ingame.

I'd say 89 TW for his prime set (1992 - 96) and 92 for the second one (still behind Roy Keane).
Korinov

Postby Korinov » 2012 Jun 11, 12:37

Game some tweaks to both sets: update to new standards, etc. Don't know why we had given him near-oranges SP if he almost never shot, I mean he scored one single goal during all his Deportivo spell and it was from close range.
Fiddy

Postby Fiddy » 2012 Jun 11, 13:12

He scored ONE goal his entire carrer, i wouldnt mind lower shooting stats.

Return to “90's”