Ânderson Polga

Moderator: Mod's

element

Ânderson Polga

Postby element » 2008 Dec 09, 14:09

Name: Ânderson Corrêa Polga

Info (Outdated):
Spoiler: show
''Anderson Polga is a central defender who oozes class. His speed on the ground, finely-tuned sense of anticipation and strength in the air are defensive attributes which are complemented by superb passing ability.

Polga’s magnificent form this season is perhaps the major factor behind the statistic that Sporting had the defence that has conceded fewest goals in the whole of Europe in 2006/07 at the time of writing.

Polga came to prominence in his native Brazil playing for Gremio for whom he made his debut in 1999. He went on to make 94 appearances for the club, winning the Rio Grande do Sul Championship and the Brazilian Cup.

World Cup winner

So impressive was his form that he forced his way into one of the most powerful World Cup squads ever assembled as he joined Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho and company in Luiz Felipe Scolari’s squad for the 2002 World Cup in Japan and Korea.

Although only 23 at the time, Polga wasn’t there just to make up the numbers, and featured in two matches as Brazil fulfilled their hot favourites tag to lift the game’s greatest prize.

His considerable talent and new-found international pedigree made him a target for several European teams and it was something of a coup when Sporting secured the centre-back’s services in 2003/04.

Since than he has established himself has a mainstay in the Lisbon team, and has been one of the Lions’ most consistent performers over recent seasons. It came as no surprise when Sporting tied him down to an extended and improved contract until 2009.

Trophy hunting

Despite helping the club to the UEFA Cup final in 2004/05, Polga is yet to win silverware in Portugal. That could all change as what is undoubtedly Polga’s most impressive season nears its end with Sporting still in contention for a Portuguese league and cup double.

So impressive has the defender’s performances been that a recall to the Brazilian national team surely beckons.''

Last edited by element on 2010 Oct 18, 09:59, edited 3 times in total.
element

Re: Anderson POLGA

Postby element » 2009 Jan 18, 19:00

Description added
Paddy

Postby Paddy » 2009 Oct 26, 03:43

Is he not a tad stronger than this?
Tom

Postby Tom » 2009 Oct 26, 08:56

Paddy wrote:Is he not a tad stronger than this?

Yup and he's also quicker in his TS, standard in his shooting, dribbling, FKA and Attack, has a better Stamina and should be 1 point higher in Response.
RB7

Postby RB7 » 2009 Oct 26, 12:35

His stats are pretty much fine, besides no way we'll up him in the form he has been.. I'm trying to believe this is just a phase so I don't drop his stats drastically but he has been pretty crap this season so far.
SPORTING CLUB PORTUGAL
Tom

Postby Tom » 2009 Oct 26, 13:09

RB7 wrote:His stats are pretty much fine, besides no way we'll up him in the form he has been.. I'm trying to believe this is just a phase so I don't drop his stats drastically but he has been pretty crap this season so far.

They aren't fine. Certain areas clearly aren't matching the standardised value for a CB - like Stamina, Dribble Accuracy, Shot Accuracy, Shot Technique and Free Kick Accuracy.

His positional sense in the oppositions box is clearly better than the 58 given and it's the kind of value you'd give to a player who doesn't go forward regularly like Jamie Carragher.

He's visibly pacier than the current TS value suggests and there's no logical reason why he should be below John Terry. It's also apparent that he's slightly stronger than the current Balance, but only slightly.

The current 85 does represent him fairly well (but 1 point higher works well in game), but it puts a hastened cap on the possible Response value that could be given to a defender in the Portuguese Liga and this has had a knock-on effect on the entire ladder which, in turn, has been a principle reason why Ali has suggested a decrease in Liedson's Response.
RB7

Postby RB7 » 2009 Oct 26, 13:18

Man, Polga has scored like what, 1 goal in 7 years? Element made this stats in comparison to many european defenders but now Polga is in a terrible shape and it's not fair at all to boost him if I've been trying to not drop him in almost every stat.. So it's not fair at all to have him on standard with other CB's, he skyrockets every shot and he's not very pacey.. he's ok in the first metres but then he clearly loses quite some speed and that's why he usually has to use sliding challenges.
SPORTING CLUB PORTUGAL
Tom

Postby Tom » 2009 Oct 26, 14:17

RB7 wrote:Man, Polga has scored like what, 1 goal in 7 years? Element made this stats in comparison to many european defenders but now Polga is in a terrible shape and it's not fair at all to boost him if I've been trying to not drop him in almost every stat.. So it's not fair at all to have him on standard with other CB's, he skyrockets every shot and he's not very pacey.. he's ok in the first metres but then he clearly loses quite some speed and that's why he usually has to use sliding challenges.

He's scored 1 goal in 7 years because he doesn't go up regularly for corners, he stays back covering for the other defenders. That's not to say, however, than when he does go up for the odd set-piece that he's lacking in his positional sense - that isn't the case. I'd only raise him to an average 60 value, but you've also got to consider that sweeper-esque role he occasionally plays.

Are you telling me that he won't sky-rocket shots on a 65 for ST and a 65 for SA? The current shooting stats make him the lowest rated defender on the database. Is that logical? Nope!

He's in terrible form, not terrible shape. He can still last 90 minutes with ease and it really wouldn't be wildly inaccurate to put him on an 83-84 value in Stamina.

And you haven't answered why he should be below John Terry. He'd still get outpaced if he sat on a 75 or 76 value in his Top Speed and he'd still have to perform the last ditch challenges that he's become famous for.
element

Postby element » 2010 Oct 18, 10:00

Made a little update
JMVP

Postby JMVP » 2010 Oct 20, 15:59

He's still clearly overrated and he's the only defender to play in Portugal that has 3 defensive stars. To put it in a simple way he has better stats than Carriço, so he's overrated. Although Carriço may be a little underrated too.
jorgeaugustogil

Postby jorgeaugustogil » 2010 Oct 21, 14:03

I think he deserves the three defensive stars. He's coming back to his best form, I think we should leave this stats and wait for more matches to see if he keeps it up.
About Carrico, I think he's clearly underrated.
Djoni

Postby Djoni » 2010 Oct 21, 19:13

jorgeaugustogil wrote:I think he deserves the three defensive stars. He's coming back to his best form, I think we should leave this stats and wait for more matches to see if he keeps it up.
About Carrico, I think he's clearly underrated.

Why should we wait to update if he played crap last season?
I think that even in is best form he isn't worthy of this stats. He isn't a good tackler, neither one of the best in his position in Liga Sagres.
JMVP

Postby JMVP » 2010 Oct 21, 19:37

Jorgeaugusto you can't be serious. I suppose you're aware these stats make him one of the best defenders in our league don't you? He's past his 30's, do you expect him to ever deserve this stats again? If you can justify all his stars i'd be happy to see you try, for the moment i'd only keep Marking.
jorgeaugustogil

Postby jorgeaugustogil » 2010 Oct 21, 21:20

JMVP wrote:Jorgeaugusto you can't be serious. I suppose you're aware these stats make him one of the best defenders in our league don't you? He's past his 30's, do you expect him to ever deserve this stats again?

I didn't say the stats are correct, only said we should wait for some more matches to see if he can keep up with the form. Lowering the stats is obvious but I think is way better comparing to last season, so the downgrade should be done attending to recent matches.

Heading and Jumping is clearly overrated and imo neither at his top he deserved those stats. Aerial game was always is weak spot.
Defence and balance should down a couple of points. Due to his age stamina should be downgraded but not too much because due to his experience and intelligence he can manage it through the 90 minutes.
Response is the most overrated point. He isn't anymore the kind of defender who does that greatly timed tackles and use the anticipation to end the other team attacks.
TS and ACC as been downgraded by element so it seems fine to me, but a less point in ACC is acceptable.
Agility was also updated but lowering a point wouldn't hurt.
jorgeaugustogil

Postby jorgeaugustogil » 2010 Oct 21, 21:39

JMVP wrote:If you can justify all his stars i'd be happy to see you try, for the moment i'd only keep Marking.

Covering was and is always hes best atributte, his sense of position and intellingence are remarkable. Due to his age, he's not so exuberant as before but still cover spaces very well.
Man marking is not his best predicate but think he still deserves that star.
Sliding is t he only one I would accept to be turned off, as I said in the other post his response is not that good anymore and he doesn't make that greatly timed sliding tackles over and over again. But he still does a few, and the few he does, does it quite well.
JMVP

Postby JMVP » 2010 Oct 23, 12:25

Oh ok then, i though you though he deserved the current stats.

The covering star makes him cover the spaces on the side lines when LB's go up, Polga is more the kind of player to defend inside the box or along the defence line. I understand where you're getting at, giving him covering because of his intelligence and his positioning, but it's just not the same thing. What you're looking for, that kind of intelligence and reading of the game is more of a combination of defence and response not really covering.
jorgeaugustogil

Postby jorgeaugustogil » 2010 Oct 23, 12:53

JMVP wrote:Oh ok then, i though you though he deserved the current stats.

The covering star makes him cover the spaces on the side lines when LB's go up, Polga is more the kind of player to defend inside the box or along the defence line. I understand where you're getting at, giving him covering because of his intelligence and his positioning, but it's just not the same thing. What you're looking for, that kind of intelligence and reading of the game is more of a combination of defence and response not really covering.

Yeah...I read the stars explanations before the post...I think he still manages to cover spaces all over the back very well even If his condition is not the same as before.

What do you think of my sugested values?
JMVP

Postby JMVP » 2010 Oct 23, 13:16

I agree with most of them. Imo if defence is to be lowered it should be just by one point for now, and response can stay around 82.
Something you didn't coment was his TW value, maybe something like 82~83 would be better too.
jorgeaugustogil

Postby jorgeaugustogil » 2010 Oct 23, 17:35

JMVP wrote:I agree with most of them. Imo if defence is to be lowered it should be just by one point for now, and response can stay around 82.
Something you didn't coment was his TW value, maybe something like 82~83 would be better too.

Agreed. The TW is a good point I didn't notice maybe 83 suits better for him imo.
da_ni

Postby da_ni » 2010 Oct 26, 11:36

JMVP wrote:Oh ok then, i though you though he deserved the current stats.

I think the "intelligence" you're refering too relates more with his TW than either his defense or response...
and shure, i agree with a raise in his TW and a decrease in his response. His response currently is way over the top (way over the top meaning 2 or 3 points!).
"My heart only has one colour: Blue and White!!
João D. Pinto

Return to “Retired Players”