PES Stats Database

Eric Cantona | 1993-1994

Postby PES Stats Database » 2008 Dec 13, 23:35

Nickname: "King Eric"

Club: Manchester United

Growth type: Standard

INFO:

Spoiler: show
Has there ever been a more "French" Frenchman in football than Eric Cantona? He is perhaps one of the most iconic men to have ever played the game - a loose canon on and off the pitch, with his tall frame balanced by finesse, flair and skill the like the English game had never seen before. "Ooh Ahh" said fans of Cantona and he certainly gave them something to ooh and ahh about.

Biography

In 1981, when Eric was 15, he joined the Auxerre youth team. There he was spotted by the French national youth team too, but Eric had to do his duty to France in more ways than football back then. The time had come for him to complete his year of national service in the army.

Eric completed his stint but kept up the football throughout and went straight to Auxerre upon his return and right into their first team. After a promising period with Auxerre, a bout of illness led to him being dropped before going to Martigues on loan and then in 1988 to Marseille. Eric remained at Marseille until 1991, but during this period he was loaned to a couple of other clubs before finally being taken by Nimes in 1991.

The fires of the Frenchman’s belly were starting to bubble up. His temper on the pitch, which had been a huge part of his rocky eight years in French football, now made him a trouble-maker at Nimes and it was French legend Michel Platini who suggested Eric should move to the more aggressive game over the English Channel.

Eric was going to sign for Sheffield Wednesday but it was rival Yorkshire club Leeds United who nabbed the Frenchman. He became a vital part of the Leeds side that won the last ever 1st Division before it became the Premier League in 1991/92. As Platini predicted, Cantona enjoyed the English ethos and discovered quite the goalscoring touch for the Whites, none more so than in the 1992 Charity Shield, where he bagged a hat-trick against rivals Liverpool.

Sadly Leeds Utd failed to cut it in the new Premier League in the following season and their beloved French star Cantona left the club in Nov 1992 and joined giants of the English game Manchester United for what would become one of the biggest bargains in football - only £1.2 million. Man Utd needed a goal scorer and in Cantona they certainly got that.

It’s questionable whether the complete dominance Man Utd had on the English game in the nineties would have been possible had it not been for ooh ahh Cantona. He appeared in 143 games for the Red Devils between 1992-97 with a fine return of 84 goals. He made an explosive start at Old Trafford and, in the first two seasons arriving from Leeds, Eric helped United win the next two league titles, the FA Cup and picked up the individual reward of 1994 PFA Player of the Year.

His skill was immense and the partnerships he had with wingers such as Ryan Giggs and fellow striker Mark Hughes made United an unstoppable force in the early-mid '90s.

HONOURS:

Club
Marseille
Ligue 1 1989, 1991
Coupe de France 1988
Montpellier
Coupe de France: 1990
Leeds United
Football League First Division: 1991-92
Charity Shield: 1992
Manchester United
Premier League: 1992-93, 1993-94, 1995-96, 1996-97
FA Cup: 1993-94, 1995-96
Charity Shield: 1993, 1994, 1996

45 Caps 20 Goals

Individual:
PFA Players' Player of the Year: 1994
FWA Footballer of the Year: 1996
Premier League 10 Seasons Awards (1992/3 - 2001/2)
Overseas Player of the Decade
Overall Team of the Decade

VIDEOS:

ADDITIONAL LINKS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_cantona

http://www.ericcantona.com/biography/

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/football ... ton=Search

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/autho ... ntona.html

POSTER#1

Re: Eric CANTONA | 1996/1997

Postby POSTER#1 » 2008 Dec 13, 23:42

Suggestions;

Choccy Posted: Jun 2 2008, 09:55 PM wrote:Nice stats :)

However I think his balance is a bit high, he wasn't stronger than Mark Hughes IMO. Also I don't think his ST was that good, I think he was more in the 90 area.

chinchin Posted: Jul 16 2008, 03:20 PM wrote:IMO his ST could be even higher, around 97?...His chip shots are the stuff of legend, as are his volleys. I don't see how Henry is that much higher than Cantona.

For references you can find it on youtube easily enough, or look at Number 5 on his top ten link.

GoonerLover66 Posted: Jul 16 2008, 05:01 PM wrote:In that case, shouldn't Ian Wright be increased as well? :rolleyes:

ravlee Posted: Jul 16 2008, 05:06 PM wrote:or lets decrease henrys.. his 99 in ST is a joke 97 would do it..

GoonerLover66 Posted: Jul 16 2008, 05:08 PM wrote:But as it has been mentioned before, a high ST doesn't guarantee beautiful goals. A high ST will make a player score from more awkward angles and strike the ball incredibly well.

chinchin Posted: Jul 16 2008, 05:12 PM wrote:While I'm okay with Henry's, his ability to score goals from literally anywhere was second to none, Cantona could strike the ball beautifully, making it look so easily and fluid, which in my opinion does make him need a higher ST. He could score from a variety of places with a variety of different technical shots.

And actually, I do think Ian Wright is under-rated ;)

Uzair Posted: Jul 16 2008, 05:22 PM wrote:the suggestion of 97 is on the table now folks. i personally am leaning towards it
TheTrueSeto

Postby TheTrueSeto » 2008 Dec 29, 08:47

**dont quote first post plz**

He wasn't as selfish imo, teamwork 78 maybe? He always linked up well with his strike partners

And i agree with Shot tech increase, Technique could be 96 as well
choccy

Postby choccy » 2008 Dec 30, 14:03

Tbh there are a lot of these stats I don't agree with, but if people are happy with them I think I won't waste my time with suggestions. One thing though, his speed looks overrated, he wasn't slow but both TS and ACC look too high.

I've tested what I suggested and I have to say it didn't work :? My suggestion on speed frankly sucked ass. Sorry about that.

One thing though, considering height affects agility, isn't 75 too low? I was thinking about something around 80.
Persona non grata
Jez

Postby Jez » 2009 Jun 08, 15:54

96/97? that was like one of his worst seasons at united :?
93/94 would be my choice for his best season
most goals, fa cup and premier league double and PFA Players' Player of the Year
"DEBT IS THE ROAD TO RUIN" David Gill August 2004

My blog is back, check it out! www.mybeautifulgame1.wordpress.com
Brezza

Re: Eric CANTONA | 1993/1994

Postby Brezza » 2009 Jun 08, 16:11

8-)

Changed the era.

Agility looks too low he wasn't this stiff, id raise it to 80 and he wasnt this selfish he had wonderful creativity and vision with some of his passing, and he form a superb striking partnership with Mark Hughes. Not sure on a number yet though.
Vandeach

Postby Vandeach » 2009 Jun 08, 16:17

His passing is massively overrated, compare him to Berbatov, the best passing forward today. Also lower his mentality he was a lazy bugger and deserves about a 72 maybe a 73 max. I'll probably do a long post on him tonight though, I haven't visited the Classics much recently, being the EPL mod and all.
"If you are first you are first. If you are second, you are nothing" - Bill Shankly.
"I guarantee fourth place" - Rafael Benitez.
Jez

Postby Jez » 2009 Jun 08, 16:38

Can't wait to see that film :lol:

Uzair

Postby Uzair » 2009 Jun 08, 16:52

agree with passing coming down. mentality isn't exactly high but if it's making him look as if he's putting too much effort into his game then i guess it could come down further.
Alcohomicide

Postby Alcohomicide » 2009 Jun 08, 20:15

Shot acc should be 84/85. :? I don't think his placement was so much better than Eduardo, who is another cultured user of the ball when finishing. Also BB is insane, I agree orange sort of area is fair, but 94? Combined with height and weight that basically makes him Nemanja Vidic. It has to come down to 89/90, which is still even Kenwyn Jones turf. Thoughts?
"When we were winning leagues and European Cups at Real I always said Makelele was our most important player. There is no way myself Figo or Raúl would have been able to do what we did without Claude and the same goes for Liverpool and Gerrard."
Uzair

Postby Uzair » 2009 Jun 08, 22:11

Alcohomicide wrote:Shot acc should be 84/85. :? I don't think his placement was so much better than Eduardo, who is another cultured user of the ball when finishing. Also BB is insane, I agree orange sort of area is fair, but 94? Combined with height and weight that basically makes him Nemanja Vidic. It has to come down to 89/90, which is still even Kenwyn Jones turf. Thoughts?

i can't really imagine him getting muscled off the ball very easily in all honesty. he was a big, powerful guy. it could probably come down 1 or 2 points but should still stay in the oranges methinks
SA could come down to 86 but i don't reckon it could be lower. i think his placement was better than our current eduardo. he was quite accurate from distance as well so...but yeh i agree that it could come down but to 86.

do you any of you reckon his aggression could come down a tad to 87/88?

also, it was mentioned that his passing should come down. does anyone have any figures? i reckon all of his passing stats should be in the low 80's. maybe an 83 for SPA, 83 for SPS. LPA coming down to 80/81 and same for speed.

SP should come down to 89 or 88 . had a hard shot capable of welly-ing it but not a regular hard hitter to deserve 90+
and this is just a slight nitpick but i just wanna lower his DA by one. one of those ladder things ;)

about his special stars: i'm not sure as to whether he actually needs the Tactial Dribble and Passing stars.
Vandeach

Postby Vandeach » 2009 Jun 10, 15:48

Okay my post on a truly great Prem striker...

Attack: Could be 89, on par with Torres.

Defence: He didn't drop deep. Simple as, it should be about 32/33.

Balance: He was big and tough no doubt, you would never see Cantona fall over, however it is ever so slightly too high, I'd lower it by 1.

Speed: It is too high, he was fast-ish but it is too high, I'd say lower his TS by 1 and lower acceleration to 80.

Dribble Accuracy: Agree, he wasn't as good as Diego at dribbling in fact I'd lower it to 90 I don't think his close control was as good as Henry's for example, perhaps lower DS too/

Agility: He weighs a lot and is quite tall, did some nice turns too. Taking that into account, 80, maybe?

Passing: Agree with Uzair's passing stats, although I'd lower his LPS to a mid green, they didn't really have pace, kind of floaty.

Shooting: Agree with Alco, he wasn't as good as Eddy, an 85 for SA is more than fair. Also he couldn't smack the ball as hard as Van Persie or Toure in my opinion, perhaps an 88, just behind Rooney?

Aggression: Way too high, he was no poacher didn't make that many runs, 88, maybe?

Mentality: Way too high, I don't disagree too much with your other stats but giving Cantona a high-ish green for mentality baffles me, he should be 72 absolute max. he doesn't charge around, he doesn't need to, he's Cantona.

Special Stars: Come on Uzair you went a bit overboard here :o :P.
I don't think he needs the dribbling stars, especially *TD, dribbling could stay though. *Reaction should go, its not really meant for strikers. He wasn't the Fabregas/Carrick killer ball type player so you should also remove *Passing. Also unsure on *Penalties, how many did he take/score?
"If you are first you are first. If you are second, you are nothing" - Bill Shankly.
"I guarantee fourth place" - Rafael Benitez.
Uzair

Postby Uzair » 2009 Jun 10, 16:47

bear in mind, this set was one of the first i made - before i was completely sure on how to rate everything and before all the ladders so yeh i thought they looked a bit odd too after looking at them again.

@Vandeach. yeh actually, ur suggestions are pretty similar with mine and i agree with them. about his special stars i agree with taking away Tactical Dribble, Passing and Reaction and also Middle Shooting. i only gave him the latter because he scored some nice long-range piledrivers (like that indirect freekick against whoever it was) but he wasn't a regular striker of the ball like that from distance and he preferred chipping the keeper off his line a lot of the time.
Definatley keep Penalties though because he had a fantastic record for Man U. there is a video of the penalties he took for united somewhere on youtube. he had that fantastic technique where he would just stroll up to the spot, send the keeper the wrong way, then roll it in the opposite direction.
Alcohomicide

Postby Alcohomicide » 2009 Jun 10, 16:57

I've never seen Eric miss a peno. Reminds me of Figo and Kuyt with how calm he was on them.
"When we were winning leagues and European Cups at Real I always said Makelele was our most important player. There is no way myself Figo or Raúl would have been able to do what we did without Claude and the same goes for Liverpool and Gerrard."
Uzair

Postby Uzair » 2009 Jun 10, 17:03

sorry for double post but i found a video: http://s323.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... alties.flv

deserving of the star. he only has two misses to his name, one of them on this video
Alcohomicide

Postby Alcohomicide » 2009 Jun 10, 17:05

Even Le Tiss missed a peno in his time. His record is deserving of the star, though. IMO we are too harsh on post 90's + modern players who get penos. Like the hell it took for Ronaldo to get them for instance.
choccy

Postby choccy » 2009 Jun 10, 21:47

Nice discussion going here, let me muddle the waters ;)

Cantona is a bit tricky to rate because he during his career went from a CF to a SS, and this changed gradually. I haven't seen him play during his career in France, but from what I've gathered he played more as a CF than in his last years in England where he gradually becamemore of a play maker although he still broke through defences for 1 on 1 vs goalkeepers.

So if you're going to rate him during his early days at Utd, I think this is useful to know how to rate his ATT/DEF but also aggression and mentality.

Over to the suggestions, I'll just do them in accordance with Vandeach as he was quite thorough:

[quote="Vandeach"]Okay my post on a truly great Prem striker...

[b]Attack: Could be 89, on par with Torres.[/b]

Agree with this, 90's would IMO be too much and by that I mean where he positioned himself on the pitch.

[b]Defence: He didn't drop deep. Simple as, it should be about 32/33.[/b]

I disagree here. Although the tendency to drop deep was more frequent later, he frequently dropped to the mid-circle. If Mark Hughes was playing a typical move would be Sparky bringing down a ball, passing it to Cantona who had dropped in the room between midfield and defence. I don't mind 40 to 45 actually.

[b]Balance: He was big and tough no doubt, you would never see Cantona fall over, however it is ever so slightly too high, I'd lower it by 1.[/b]

Agree, 93 seems about right, 92 might be fine too though. I have no idea if this is true, but I can only remember Ruddock giving him a hard time at duels at the time. But it's a long time ago and Ruddock would roughen up his grandma if given the chance.

[b]Speed: It is too high, he was fast-ish but it is too high, I'd say lower his TS by 1 and lower acceleration to 80.[/b]

Disagree, although I thought the same until I tested him with lower speed. If you compare him to Berbatov, there's a marked difference. Cantona continuously burst through the middle of defence like Berbatov can't do with his speed, 84 is just right. ACC could be 82 though. He was heavyset but deceptively quick, especially this early in his Utd career.

[b]Dribble Accuracy: Agree, he wasn't as good as Diego at dribbling in fact I'd lower it to 90 I don't think his close control was as good as Henry's for example, perhaps lower DS too/[/b]

Yeah, 93 is too much. Giggs could keep close control of the ball at much higher speed than Cantona, not sure which value to land on though, 89?

[b]Agility: He weighs a lot and is quite tall, did some nice turns too. Taking that into account, 80, maybe?[/b]

Agree, and pending ratings for TEC and DA he might be warranting more. Not much though.

[b]Passing: Agree with Uzair's passing stats, although I'd lower his LPS to a mid green, they didn't really have pace, kind of floaty.[/b]

88 was overstating it, but his passing was a play maker worthy, dropping them too much won't do. I think SPA 84/85 would be fine, he could be remarkably accurate on quick flicks, heels and in crowded spaces too. This is where I'm most uncertain though, he was extremely inventive, I can honestly say that I think he was the most creative passer in England at the time.

[b]Shooting:
Agree with Alco, he wasn't as good as Eddy, an 85 for SA is more than fair. Also he couldn't smack the ball as hard as Van Persie or Toure in my opinion, perhaps an 88, just behind Rooney?[/b]

[b]Aggression:
Way too high, he was no poacher didn't make that many runs, 88, maybe?[/b]

Agree here.

[b]Mentality: Way too high, I don't disagree too much with your other stats but giving Cantona a high-ish green for mentality baffles me, he should be 72 absolute max. he doesn't charge around, he doesn't need to, he's Cantona. [/b]

77 is ok, in fact I'd give him more. He became captain for a reason, a very determined man, he was the last man to give up a lost cause.. I don't get the charge around remark. Have I missed an aspect of mentality that I should know about? Might have changed in later versions of PES for all I know.

TW: Underrated, I don't know what you call it England, but directly translated from Norwegian it's "The Butler's Eye" or something :D Meaning that players with TBE almost at all times has an overview of where his team mates are on the field. This was more distinct in his last two seasons IMO, so I'd give him 85/86.

Stars:

*Penalties - cool as ice, I don't think he missed one during his Utd career.
*Tactical dribble - water is wet
*Passing - inventive AND provided assists instantly when he joined
*MS - tended to blast his long shots with little or not swerve, could be optional though as he might not have attempted them often enough.
*1-touch pass - his volleying was quite nice
*Scoring - this one's obvious considering how often he took up deep positions
Persona non grata
Brezza

Postby Brezza » 2009 Jun 13, 20:57

Updated ladies ;) some good discussion/suggestions . I'm with Choccy in terms of his passing though, he really could make some exquisite passes, little chips and through balls that were even more inventive than Berbatov imo. A great example was his little outside the boot, flick/through ball to Irwin he made against Spurs years back, it was epic 8-)
Jez

Postby Jez » 2009 Jun 14, 16:55

did you mean to edit his SA to 80?

Brezza

Postby Brezza » 2009 Jun 14, 17:05

Whoops :lol:

Return to “90's”