PSD Backbone

Vampeta | 1999-2002

Postby Vickingo » 2020 Sep 14, 00:58

Club: Corinthians - Inter - PSG - Flamengo

Vickingo
PSD Backbone

Re: Vampeta | 1999-2002

Postby Vickingo » 2020 Sep 14, 13:20

Before I lose this knowledge from my fragile memory, I wanna make some comments about this really good player.

Vampeta was one of dynamic and complete players. A total modern (modern in terms after 2010 football) player playing in 90's/early 00's. The most I watched him and I remembered what I was watching in Corinthians past years, the most I convince myself that he was the prototype of an Argentinian midfielder, more than a Brazilian. I guess I read that somewhere and totally applies to him.

I tried to emulate his style with those cards and specially with that combo of technical and physical abilities. Sometimes he reminded me a lot to Paulinho, sometimes he was really disorganizated but man, so aggressive and going forward like a lion.

He hadn't a super muscle mass body, quite the opposite, but he was quite unstoppable when he got speed...something like Verón in long distances. He wasn't explosive at all, he had sometimes sloppy dribbling, but with his aggressiviness and his real intelligence he was damn good.

Not a super passer but yeah he was capable of dictating the game from the centre. Barely used his speed, only when he went forward dribbling and breaking lines. I want to highlight how aggressive he was, just like Paulinho.

Another thing we mustn't overlook is his good middle distance shoting, almost the 80% of his goals in Corinthians were super similar: a rebound stood in there, he came running and bang! Scoring from distance. Well, distance is relative, since most of his goals are from 25-30 metres, but still. His ST in there was more than decent.

His TW was good, nothing superb but the guy showed up in a really good way to make the team play. It's like Rob said quality > quantity, and Vampeta was like that, you won't watch him running like a crazy from here to there, but the quality of his movements to be available was in there, i repeat, a very smart midfielder.

I find him quite overrated in defence here and there, i think he was REALLY good at sliding tackle, most of his interventions in defence are because of his good response to loose balls or his great and strong tackle, more than any real defensive ability, so it's ok with those numbers i guess.

So well, he was WC champion in 2002 (sub) and after that his career wasn't that good tbh. In a general basis I expected a lot more from him in terms of big clubs career cause yeah he had an spell at Inter and PSG but after all the good stuff he showed at NT and Corinthians...

Nothing spectacular but this assist with the outside of his foot in a wet pitch to Romario vs Bolivia was quite nice:
Spoiler: show

And to show up some classic movements from him, this is what I was saying about aggressiviness, break lines, commitment, leg force and good finishing:

And about loose balls and middle shoting from 1°

Return to “00's”