Moderators: lucashag, Adrien, Albo7, Korinov, Brezza, jurgens

Forum rules
PES Stats Database
PSD Backbone

Lee Sharpe | 1993-1994

Postby PES Stats Database » 2008 Dec 12, 21:01

Club: Manchester United

INFO:

As Ryan Giggs is inundated with praise for his performances in the twilight of his career, a former Man United left winger will look back and wonder if he could have found himself in a similar position, if luck had been on his side.

Lee Sharpe was an immensly talented winger but injury as well as the celebrity lifestyle saw his talent dwindle and he ended his career at unheralded Garforth Town.

Starting his career at Torquay United, he was snapped up by Man United after just 16 appearances for £200,000, a record fee at the time for a YTS player and it was at Old Trafford that Sharpe made his name.

He scored his first goal for the club the following season against Millwall but his season would end in disappointment as he failed to make the squad for the FA Cup final, which United would win 1-0 in a replay after initially drawing 3-3.

The following season as United won the Cup Winners Cup, Sharpe would play an integral part and in his own words the highlight of his United career came as he scored a hat trick against Arsenal in the League Cup. The 90-91 season saw Sharpe finally become United’s first choice left winger but he would not hold this position for long as an unknown rose through the ranks to usurp his place, Ryan Giggs.

As he became first choice at United he would receive England call ups and despite being unable to shake John Barnes from the position, for some one as talented as he to only get 8 caps it was a shame especially as in his time England had players like Steve Guppy in his preferred position.

Injury also played a part in his decline, he suffered viral meningitis in Autumn 1992 opening the door for Ryan Giggs to come in and take his place on the wing and when he had fully recovered he was left battling with Denis Irwin for the left back spot and Andrei Kanchelskis for a place on the right wing.

VIDEOS:

ADDITIONAL LINKS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Sharpe

http://www.footballfancast.com/football ... lee-sharpe

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/football ... ton=Search

http://www.national-football-teams.com/ ... p?id=16419

Last edited by vinnie on 2014 Apr 19, 05:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated picture, adjusted format.
jurgens
Clear

Re: Lee SHARPE | 1993-1994

Postby jurgens » 2012 Oct 11, 21:37

The speed stats look really overblown, didn't see this sort of speed at all. But he was much more composed in front of the goal than these stats suggest.
Brezza
PSD Loyalty Program Member

Postby Brezza » 2012 Oct 13, 12:10

Someone has been watching United Season reviews I see 8-) I'll try and get round and help update some players when I have sometime over the weekend.

Set is pretty ancient, i remember him damaging his cruciate and loosing quite abit of his pace but its still overblown as is AGI and DS. LPS should come down as well but he was lovely crosser of the ball the one thing he was more consistent at then Giggs. Also Robben esque clinical finisher for a winger a pretty erm..Sharpe to react in and around the box.
jurgens
Clear

Postby jurgens » 2012 Oct 13, 12:20

Yeah, season reviews are the only thing I can grab footage off unfortunately, finally got a new vcr so I'm I'm watching some of the matches I have, but I have absolutly no idea how to get tape footage onto pc. Any ideas :D ? I dunno how much of the 90's man u I'll touch.. tbh I only take notes of players who I have pes faces for.. sharpe ain't one of them, so I don't have specifics. From my impressions though, his TS and ACC looked something like 84 for both.

Return to “90's”