Gianfranco Zola | 1997-1999

Moderators: Korinov, Adrien, Albo7, Brezza, jurgens

User avatar
PES Stats Database
Posts: 17810
Joined: 2008 Dec 09, 12:06
Been thanked: 397 times

Gianfranco Zola | 1997-1999

Postby PES Stats Database » 2008 Dec 12, 19:46

Nickname: "Magic Box" | "Marazola"| "Tamburino Sardo" ("Sardinian drum")

Club: Chelsea FC



Growth type: Standard/Lasting

INFO:

Gianfranco Zola was one of the outstanding Italian attackers during the 1990s. He spent the first decade of his career playing in Italy, most notably with Napoli, alongside the legendary Argentinean Diego Maradona whom he learned many of his skills from. When Napoli won Italian Series A title in 1990, Zola was still a reserve player and played a few number games. He started to reah his prime at Parma where he scored 19 league goals in three consecutive seasons, before moving to English side Chelsea. Zola became one of the most extraordinary players in English Premier league history renowned for his technical abilities and would eventually be voted Chelsea's greatest ever player in 2003. After seven seasons in England, He was retired number 25 of Chelsea for his honour and moved back to play in his homeland with Cagliari where he played only two seasons but the club still retired number 10 for him again. Internationally, Zola didn’t achieve as much as he could due to Roberto Baggio ahead of him in the pecking order.

VIDEOS:



Last edited by Uzair on 2010 Dec 18, 22:51, edited 11 times in total.
User avatar
fishdalf
Posts: 951
Joined: 2008 Dec 12, 07:34
Location: Liverpool, UK
Contact:

Re: Gianfranco ZOLA | 1997/1998

Postby fishdalf » 2009 Jan 09, 08:07

Umm, his free kicks seem a tad overrated. :o
User avatar
Xyder
Posts: 3871
Joined: 2008 Dec 10, 01:54
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: Gianfranco ZOLA | 1997/1998

Postby Xyder » 2009 Jan 10, 00:09

fishdalf wrote:Umm, his free kicks seem a tad overrated. :o


Agree, he wasn't best than Mihajlovic in FK terms, maybe could be lowered FK & Curling in 3 points IMO.
Attack could be lowered too, 90 seems better, a world class SS but not better in poaching than other players like Cantona or the Romario of Barça times.
Image
Image
User avatar
fishdalf
Posts: 951
Joined: 2008 Dec 12, 07:34
Location: Liverpool, UK
Contact:

Re: Gianfranco ZOLA | 1997/1998

Postby fishdalf » 2009 Jan 10, 07:00

Yeah i agree, how about:

Attack: 90
Free Kick Accuracy: 94
Curling: 97

Looks much better.
Uzair
Posts: 521
Joined: 2008 Dec 09, 11:40
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Gianfranco ZOLA | 1997/1998

Postby Uzair » 2009 Jan 10, 17:33

fishdalf wrote:Yeah i agree, how about:

Attack: 90
Free Kick Accuracy: 94
Curling: 97

Looks much better.


only agree with attack but he was regarded as one of the best freekick takers. if it's to be lowered then only by one but in all honesty it should be left how it is.
ravlee

Re: Gianfranco ZOLA | 1997/1998

Postby ravlee » 2009 Jan 10, 18:01

yes 94 is kinda an offense to Zola.. if he isn't in the god-region for FK then i don't know .. it should be 96 at the very least :| and still 96 is "too" low - if its dropped than only by one as Uzair said

Attack - agreed - he wasn't better than Baggio or Ronaldinho who are rated at 90 .. 92 is like Owen, Rossi and Weah .. naaahh 90 is okay :)
User avatar
bitz
Posts: 2430
Joined: 2008 Dec 09, 10:26
Has thanked: 181 times
Been thanked: 169 times

Re: Gianfranco ZOLA | 1997/1998

Postby bitz » 2009 Jan 10, 18:04

Disagree with dropping FK acc. If there's someone who really deserves FK acc. 98 is Zola for sure.
Visit my alt thread: http://pesstatsdatabase.com/viewtopic.php?f=1011&t=25348
User avatar
fishdalf
Posts: 951
Joined: 2008 Dec 12, 07:34
Location: Liverpool, UK
Contact:

Re: Gianfranco ZOLA | 1997/1998

Postby fishdalf » 2009 Jan 11, 23:01

Go look at all the best current free kick takers now, he wasn't any better than them, he wasn't. You guys are treating it like he was the greatest free kick taker of all time, again, false.

Current FK Takers:

Juninho
Free Kick Accuracy: 96
Curving: 98

Pirlo
Free Kick Accuracy: 93
Curling: 97

Beckham
Free Kick Accuracy: 93
Curving: 97

Nakamura
Free Kick Accuracy: 93
Curling: 96

Ronaldinho
Free Kick Accuracy: 89
Swerve: 98
CDDRodrigo
Posts: 721
Joined: 2008 Dec 09, 18:25
Location: Brazil
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Gianfranco ZOLA | 1997/1998

Postby CDDRodrigo » 2009 Jan 11, 23:05

fishdalf, both Juninho and Beckham had 99 and 99 on their peak. And these are the stats for the peak season of Zola.
User avatar
Brezza
Posts: 2278
Joined: 2008 Dec 08, 23:57
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: Gianfranco ZOLA | 1997/1998

Postby Brezza » 2009 Jan 11, 23:10

In his peak Zola apparently scored 1 in every 3 freekics I believe. Im not sure that he should be in the greatest of all time region ( 98-99) but he should certainly be in that God region
User avatar
fishdalf
Posts: 951
Joined: 2008 Dec 12, 07:34
Location: Liverpool, UK
Contact:

Re: Gianfranco ZOLA | 1997/1998

Postby fishdalf » 2009 Jan 11, 23:10

OMG why, am i the only one who think's SOME of these 'classic' stats are a little bullcrap....

Yes they're classic players, but some of these values are absolutely crazy.
User avatar
fishdalf
Posts: 951
Joined: 2008 Dec 12, 07:34
Location: Liverpool, UK
Contact:

Re: Gianfranco ZOLA | 1997/1998

Postby fishdalf » 2009 Jan 11, 23:11

Fine them give him 95 and 97 respectively, 1 higher in FK accuracy than i suggested, but surely no higher, i mean come on...
Vandeach
Posts: 2950
Joined: 2008 Dec 09, 18:21
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Gianfranco ZOLA | 1997/1998

Postby Vandeach » 2009 Jan 12, 18:02

Well this is how in my opinion it should look(players peak)


99: Juninho
98:
97: Beckham
96: Zola,Mihajlovic,Platini
95: Rogerio Ceni

The god region should only be reserved for people who where truly deadly and among the best of all time there are already 7 places there so I think thats enough I find it ridiculous to have 5 people on 99 for one stat these are a cut above the rest imo. I put Juninho 2 above everyone else because I don't really think anyone comes close to him in terms of pure accuracy and placement.
"If you are first you are first. If you are second, you are nothing" - Bill Shankly.
"I guarantee fourth place" - Rafael Benitez.
User avatar
fishdalf
Posts: 951
Joined: 2008 Dec 12, 07:34
Location: Liverpool, UK
Contact:

Re: Gianfranco ZOLA | 1997/1998

Postby fishdalf » 2009 Jan 13, 06:24

See i can't really argue with your value EXCEPT for Zola who i would put on 94 - 95 max. Oh well, a difference of opinion is good i suppose, although i think we can both agree what he has now is too high.
Vandeach
Posts: 2950
Joined: 2008 Dec 09, 18:21
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Gianfranco ZOLA | 1997/1998

Postby Vandeach » 2009 Jan 13, 16:32

Yes I agree there definetley but we need to get a right balance to please everyone maybe a 95?
"If you are first you are first. If you are second, you are nothing" - Bill Shankly.
"I guarantee fourth place" - Rafael Benitez.
Uzair
Posts: 521
Joined: 2008 Dec 09, 11:40
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Gianfranco ZOLA | 1997/1998

Postby Uzair » 2009 Jan 13, 19:06

Vandeach wrote:Yes I agree there definetley but we need to get a right balance to please everyone maybe a 95?


nope. tis an injustice to him.
User avatar
fishdalf
Posts: 951
Joined: 2008 Dec 12, 07:34
Location: Liverpool, UK
Contact:

Re: Gianfranco ZOLA | 1997/1998

Postby fishdalf » 2009 Jan 14, 00:21

Fine put him on a 96 then, just as long as we get him down from that obviously wrong 98. I also agree that his curling could go down 2 or 3.
Vandeach
Posts: 2950
Joined: 2008 Dec 09, 18:21
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Gianfranco ZOLA | 1997/1998

Postby Vandeach » 2009 Jan 18, 19:36

I believe a lot of classics are overrated and I'm going to try and lower as many as possible. So Zola phenomenal player but overrated in quite a few areas.

Attack:

92 is way over the top for Zola, I mean two points above Owen?! I can't agree to that only a very select few SS can have an orange value for attack and Zola very rarely relied on his positioning to score it really should be at an 85/86 value.


Acceleration:

85 is a pretty huge number for Zola considering he wasn't the fastest yes he had a nice burst but only enough to warrant an 83 imo.


Dribbling:

You know what? I'd actually knock Zola's DA up by 1 his close control was quite fantastic.

Agility:

Yes Zola was very agile but this value is insane it puts him 2 points behind Messi! His ability to twist and turn was very good no doubt but I wouldn't go any higher than 89 to be quite honest with you he wasn't godly agile.


All Passing Stats:

All his passing seems a bit overrated to me tbh I mean his current short pass values put him over Xabi Alonso and Cesc Fabregas! Long passing looks strange also if I remember rightly he took all the corners for Chelsea? But his passing wasn't this good.Here's what I suggest

Short Pass Accuracy: 88
Short Pass Speed: 86
Long Pass Accuracy: 86
Long Pass Speed: 85


All Shooting stats:

Zola was never deadly accurate like you made him out to be he was more 'a scorer of great goals' than a 'great goalscorer' his SA should be lowered quite a bit to an 84 value. Shot power needs to be dropped as well he didn't have a venomous shot it should be lowered to 82/83 I'd also drop ST by 1 to 91.


Technique:

I believe his dribbling was better than his ability to trap the ball(although both where phenomenal) so I suggest to drop technique to 94 2 points below his DA.


Aggression :

I feel you've been rather harsh on aggression although he liked to play deep he did make a fair few runs forward I'd put his Aggression at 84 he'll play quite deep but will stay make some attacking runs.


Team Work:

I feel you've underrated this also not only was his vision and eye for a pass truly magnificent he also formed solid partnerships with Hasselbaink and Gudjohnsen I feel he deserves an 88 value.



SUM UP OF SUGGESTIONS:
Attack: 85/86
Top Speed: 79
Acceleration: 83
Agility: 89
Dribble Accuracy: 96
Short Pass Accuracy: 88
Short Pass Speed: 86
Long Pass Accuracy: 86
Long Pass Speed: 85
Shot Accuracy: 84
Shot Power: 83
Shot Technique: 91
Technique: 94
Aggression: 84
Team Work: 88
"If you are first you are first. If you are second, you are nothing" - Bill Shankly.
"I guarantee fourth place" - Rafael Benitez.
User avatar
fishdalf
Posts: 951
Joined: 2008 Dec 12, 07:34
Location: Liverpool, UK
Contact:

Re: Gianfranco ZOLA | 1997/1998

Postby fishdalf » 2009 Jan 20, 18:59

Add some new values to his free kick accuracy and curling and you have a new set of stats that actually look right.
User avatar
choccy
Posts: 292
Joined: 2008 Dec 15, 13:37

Re: Gianfranco ZOLA | 1997/1998

Postby choccy » 2009 Feb 01, 11:28

Vandeach wrote:I believe a lot of classics are overrated and I'm going to try and lower as many as possible. So Zola phenomenal player but overrated in quite a few areas.

Attack:

92 is way over the top for Zola, I mean two points above Owen?! I can't agree to that only a very select few SS can have an orange value for attack and Zola very rarely relied on his positioning to score it really should be at an 85/86 value.


Acceleration:

85 is a pretty huge number for Zola considering he wasn't the fastest yes he had a nice burst but only enough to warrant an 83 imo.


Dribbling:

You know what? I'd actually knock Zola's DA up by 1 his close control was quite fantastic.

Agility:

Yes Zola was very agile but this value is insane it puts him 2 points behind Messi! His ability to twist and turn was very good no doubt but I wouldn't go any higher than 89 to be quite honest with you he wasn't godly agile.


All Passing Stats:

All his passing seems a bit overrated to me tbh I mean his current short pass values put him over Xabi Alonso and Cesc Fabregas! Long passing looks strange also if I remember rightly he took all the corners for Chelsea? But his passing wasn't this good.Here's what I suggest

Short Pass Accuracy: 88
Short Pass Speed: 86
Long Pass Accuracy: 86
Long Pass Speed: 85


All Shooting stats:

Zola was never deadly accurate like you made him out to be he was more 'a scorer of great goals' than a 'great goalscorer' his SA should be lowered quite a bit to an 84 value. Shot power needs to be dropped as well he didn't have a venomous shot it should be lowered to 82/83 I'd also drop ST by 1 to 91.


Technique:

I believe his dribbling was better than his ability to trap the ball(although both where phenomenal) so I suggest to drop technique to 94 2 points below his DA.


Aggression :

I feel you've been rather harsh on aggression although he liked to play deep he did make a fair few runs forward I'd put his Aggression at 84 he'll play quite deep but will stay make some attacking runs.


Team Work:

I feel you've underrated this also not only was his vision and eye for a pass truly magnificent he also formed solid partnerships with Hasselbaink and Gudjohnsen I feel he deserves an 88 value.



SUM UP OF SUGGESTIONS:
Attack: 85/86
Top Speed: 79
Acceleration: 83
Agility: 89
Dribble Accuracy: 96
Short Pass Accuracy: 88
Short Pass Speed: 86
Long Pass Accuracy: 86
Long Pass Speed: 85
Shot Accuracy: 84
Shot Power: 83
Shot Technique: 91
Technique: 94
Aggression: 84
Team Work: 88


Wonderful post! The suggestions seem very reasonable. Only thing I'm wondering about is his TW, no 90's value? I didn't watch him regularly but he seemed to be a very good reader of the game.
Persona non grata

Return to “90's”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests