Douglas Costa | 2015-2018

Postby PES Stats Database » 2018 Feb 23, 23:33

Club: FC Bayern München / Juventus FC

Growth Type: Standard

vinnie
PSD Loyalty Program Member

Re: Douglas Costa | 2015-2018

Postby vinnie » 2018 Feb 23, 23:38

to comment on Costa, well i never talked about him despite changing his set so much back then. but i think this set has stood the test of time.

his playstyle has been consistently the same since i saw him for the first time during preseason with Bayern in 2015. Douglas Costa has a very distinct style with ferocious perpendicular explosiveness. He's fantastic at using a quick body turn to create an angle to drive into, and then using his acceleration to explode forward down the line to fire a hard hit cross into the danger areas.

the key that i talked about elsewhere, is his really overlooked body strength and balance. Bursting past a defender is often fruitless if a defender just fouls you or employs dark arts defending like shirt tugging or subtle tripping, or can just quickly barge you off your path. Costa can outduel defenders trying to barge him off the ball because of his sheer strength, and forces the advantage he creates with his burst to continue into the end result of the open play, rather than the stagnation of a foul or set piece. This is a consistent ability for Costa and is key to his effectiveness.

just look at that penalty Costa won against Spurs. Yes Aurier didn't have to bring down Costa in the box, but i think that situation was less an error by Aurier and more a show of spectacular acceleration and strength by Costa.
Aurier is not weak at all, i think i rate him around 83 or 84 BB. Yet look at how Douglas fends off a solid barge by Aurier and shrugs him off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMlS0Al_2AI&t=5m55s

It was because Douglas won that duel that Aurier was forced to make a decision: let Douglas go and be free to shoot or cross in an extremely dangerous area of the box and a 3 v 2 situation, or try a desperate tackle to get some of the ball. honestly the odds Costa creates a goal there from open play is probably about the same or only a little lower than the chances of a penalty being scored. This situation doesn't happen with a Jesus Navas; Aurier was in a fair position to barge Costa off the ball, if that were someone weak, or simply not so strong like Costa, that run is interrupted and at least Aurier regains a defensive position and forces the attacker off of his attacking line, and at best Aurier flat out forces the attacker off balance and easily wins the ball.

I know it was questionable bringing up Costa's Body Balance rating by ten points, but i honestly think this was always an extremely obvious ability of his, and has been proven by repeated demonstrations by Douglas, like the one above.

Regarding other qualities of his, i did at some times think maybe he could deserve a bit more acceleration and agility and passing accuracy during the absolute best part of his Bayern form, but i think he couldn't sustain that and proved that those levels were a mix of tactics complimenting and showcasing his qualities, and also defenders having not yet figured out how to effectively defend against him. He was a nightmare, almost unstoppable until defenders learned to respect his explosiveness and strength and started sitting deeper and more compact and not giving him the chance to burst past him.

Once this shift in how much space was given to Costa, i think his limited dribbling and technical ability became more obvious as he dropped significantly in effectiveness. Costa is not a fluid dribbler that can deal with multiple markers and pressure because his drbbling is not good enough to deftly adjust the ball and body position in tight spaces like that. Costa was always deadly effective at using a lightning twist of his torso and changing his stance into a different angle to accelerate down the line and towards the goal. Costa's strength meant once he had that yard on you, he was near impossible to intercept.

In 1 versus 1 situations where there is space behind the defender, he would single-handedly devestate a defensive structure by puncturing the flanks over and over again. From the free flank he also had enough weight on his grounded or lofted crosses to deliver to the strikers with the right timing. I think the weight Costa can put on his crosses is a complimentary reason for why he is so dangerous in one versus one from the flank, because he won't always be lazer precise, but the momentum he creates when beating the fullback and forcing the centrebacks to be on the move, and on the back foot, isn't wasted by a lack of weight on the cross- exploiting the fragile defensive shape and difficulty to mark strikers or track runs into the box.

away from that scenario though Costa loses alot of effectiveness in his passing as he doesn't have the precision to try through passes.

I thought Costa was slower for a few weeks in the summer, but i think that was due to an injury. I've watched his vs videos the last few weeks and he seems to be back or very close to his normal level.

i think this set has been very successful at emulating Costa's abilities and has remained accurate despite some highs and some lows.

and i think the reason for so many drastic changes to the set that i made when he transfered to bayern from shaktar was due to the previous set being inaccurate. i've seen a handful of vs videos of douglas at shaktar and he had the same strengths and weaknesses, he was pretty much no different from what i saw since his bayern days- the old set made costa out to be a run of the mill, intricate, delicate creative midfielder when he's actually much more of a nailgun.

the only area i think could deserve a change is a plus two to attack, but i'm not sure how necessary that change is. Douglas is definitely no nonsense danger through and through though, and will punish you if you don't adjust to his qualities. At Costa's absolute peak with Bayern.. i think he might've hit 96 acceleration, maybe 92 agility too with orange aggression. again though, i think this set is accurate when rating Costa's sustainable level, and overall level across more than one season.
If you don't put effort into your post, i won't put effort in my response.
vinnie
PSD Loyalty Program Member

Re: Douglas Costa | 2015-2018

Postby vinnie » 2018 Mar 09, 01:32

another fantastic burst of speed by Costa where he (should've) won a penalty almost entirely with just his acceleration. That's twice he did this in two matches against Spurs. He's a true killer when you give space behind a defender and let him attack 1 versus 1.

something i've been wondering is if maybe costa's acceleration deserves a slightly higher rating? i've thought since i saw costa the first time that he is bang on around 94 acceleration.. i use this value as a point of comparison for how i regard other players as well in a fairly rigid way. is this too low? any other thoughts? i feel that 94 acceleration is fine, but i can understand as high as 96 acceleration, the same way i can also accept 92 agility- for his prime at least.
If you don't put effort into your post, i won't put effort in my response.

Return to “Contemporary Players”