Moderators: Korinov, Adrien, Albo7, Brezza, jurgens

PES Stats Database

Matthias Sammer | 1994-1997

Postby PES Stats Database » 2008 Dec 11, 17:15

Club: Borussia Dortmund

Growth type: Standard

INFO:

Spoiler: show
Matthias Sammer is one of three defenders in history to win European footballer of the year. He started as as central midfielder early in his career until the end of Germany in world cup 1994, moving down to play as attacking libero instead of Lothar Matthaeus, showing his fantastic vision when support attacking game. As libero, He reached world-class 2 seasons leading both Dortmund and Germany winning the biggest title of Europe. At the time he was even compared in the same light with Franz Beckenbauer. Unfortunately, Sammer a serious knee injury eventually leading him to retirement in 1998. If it wasnt for the early retirement he could He could of arguably be raked among the best ever in his position.

ATTACK
He was an attacking libero in the same mould as Beckenbauer, great in defence and also very effective in attack and as he had already been a successful midfielder in his earlier days he had the attacking intelligence and drive to get in good positions and score plenty of goals.

DEFENCE
I think it was his reading of the game that made him a great defender, although his positioning was still very, very good.

BALANCE
Well he wasn't a typical German powerhouse but he had decent strength and seeing the height/weight effects I think this is a fair value.

SPEED & STAMINA
The guy was a finely tuned athlete and had very solid pace, he could beat players purely on speed. Like I said he was very athletic and could run all day long, great set of lungs.

DRIBBLING & AGILITY
He was very slender and so was quite nimble and was an elegant, assured player on the ball, who had very good close control and he would often make driving runs into the box. I think it's fair to put him on a similar level to Gerrard in DA & AGI.

PASSING
He seemed to me to be a quality passer for a defender and average for a midfielder, not the most daring of passers but still a very solid passer of the ball.

SHOOTING
He had very good shooting abilities and could hit a ball very cleanly, but also was pretty accurate in front of goal.

TECHNIQUE
Very good trapping abilities, I'd again compare him to Gerrard at this, and put him a couple of points behind him.

AGRESSION
In his position he had a lot of freedom to attack and well he certainly did this a lot, even this late on in his career (equal to Beckenbauer, 1 above Passarella).

TEAMWORK & MENTALITY
He was a natural born leader but also had a great footballing brain and worked well with anybody around him. Also he was a workhorse and a real warrior on the pitch I think a couple points behind God region is fair for Sammer.

I know these stats make him a great player, but that's exactly what he was and he is one of the real greats in German football history. If it weren't for injuries then he'd probably be held in even higher esteem. But in the mid 90's he really showed what class and versatility he had when he moved to sweeper and at his very best he was deemed a top 10 player in the world, and in 1996 he proved his potential by being the first defender since Beckenbauer to win European Footballer of the Year.

VIDEOS:

Spoiler: show

ADDITIONAL LINKS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthias_Sammer

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthias_Sammer

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/football ... roID=49807

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/football ... roID=49808

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/stati ... index.html

http://www.worldfootball.net/spieler_pr ... as-sammer/

Last edited by Vandeach on 2009 May 04, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
jorgebolano

Re: Matthias SAMMER | 1995-1996

Postby jorgebolano » 2009 Jan 25, 18:50

A Mentality of 95+ is a must for Sammer.
Ace

Postby Ace » 2009 May 03, 19:17

Vandeach wrote:Dribble Speed: 78

green ;)
Shubitidze

Postby Shubitidze » 2009 Jun 24, 16:21

jorgebolano wrote:A Mentality of 95+ is a must for Sammer.

Agree!

And also a TW in the 90s, one of Germany's most intelligent players ever. -->93
Vandeach

Postby Vandeach » 2009 Jun 24, 19:29

Shubitidze wrote:
jorgebolano wrote:A Mentality of 95+ is a must for Sammer.

Agree!

And also a TW in the 90s, one of Germany's most intelligent players ever. -->93

Intelligence as in 'reading the game' and 'timing' is covered by the response stat.
"If you are first you are first. If you are second, you are nothing" - Bill Shankly.
"I guarantee fourth place" - Rafael Benitez.
Phil

Postby Phil » 2010 Apr 12, 22:43

I think these stats could be discussed a little, to start with I think his aggression is underrated he was more of a libero like Beckenbauer than a defensive sweeper and would often surge into the penalty box, it should probably be in the yellows. I know statistics aren't the best way to rate a player but to compare him with Beckenbauer, he scored more goals than him despite only playing half as many games and playing in a worse team. But if you compare their stats here Beckenbauer has him beat in every single stat (apart from mentality), though it's probably a case of Beckenbauer being a little overrated and Sammer being underrated. A few other stats could be discussed as well, most notable of which are attack, shooting, speed, agility and I think mentality should go up the guy was a warrior, injury tolerance should be C too. I'll post some suggestions when I can be bothered.

Another thing to note is that a lot of people hold Sammer in higher regards than players like Kohler and think that if it weren't for injuries he would have been up there with Beckenbauer as one of Germanys greatest. All ifs and buts, but it still might show that he's a little underrated.
Phil

Postby Phil » 2010 Apr 13, 14:57

** See first Post **
Last edited by Phil on 2010 Apr 14, 18:36, edited 6 times in total.
Krakatau

Postby Krakatau » 2010 Apr 14, 16:23

yes, the key player of the german 96 euro team, an absolute leader. with the old matthäus he was the last real german sweeper of international class. so I zhink the stats are fine, maybe the passing skills could be bit better. a pity that his career ended that soon due to a knee injury...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fylgsaAUbNo
Phil

Postby Phil » 2010 Apr 14, 16:34

What do everyone else think of the stats? I wasn't too sure on his passing stats to be honest but they maybe could be a bit highet come to think of it.
Brezza

Postby Brezza » 2010 Apr 14, 16:45

I like them, he was far more of an attacking libero than the first post says, he had fantastic vision when support attacking game. Im just unsure about agility and dribble speed values, he seem pretty graceful coming forward with the ball alot like Scirea.
Phil

Postby Phil » 2010 Apr 14, 17:17

With dribble speed I think 82/83 might be better come to think of it because he would sometimes go on surges with the ball into the box and could be quite direct at times but not quite this much, and yeah agility should be higher it was supposed to be 83 but I must of mistyped it. Also what are your thoughts on passing? because he's already got a high TW value but I think they could come up a bit still.
Krakatau

Postby Krakatau » 2010 Apr 14, 17:54

My oppinion is, long pass skills could be raised (not a must) about 1-2 points and shoot technique and accuracy should definitely raised into the yellow area....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbd2yehoD1g
Phil

Postby Phil » 2010 Apr 15, 18:14

Is there any objections to adding my set to 1st post ? :) , or does anybody have anything else to add ?
Krakatau

Postby Krakatau » 2010 Apr 15, 19:12

Well, I played your stats right now with shoot accuracy and technique on 82 level and think they are better than the older ones (that I used before)...but his number at Dortmund was the 6
Brezza

Postby Brezza » 2010 Apr 17, 18:16

Updated with Phillip Gizzle's stats but with my compromise for dribble speed. ;)

Giving him 80's for shooting stats would be much too high Krakatau, in terms of defenders those values should only be exclusive to the likes of Koeman Beckenbauer and maybe Passarella on a good day.
Phil

Postby Phil » 2010 Apr 17, 18:22

Thanks Brezza, his stats look a lot better now 8-) .
warriorism

Re: Matthias SAMMER | 1994-1996

Postby warriorism » 2011 Feb 25, 23:06

absolutely agreed with his stamina and response

but i think 'red' matthias passes need update by watching his match

BB: needs to 85, considering his height and how perfectly he storming for goal, i've seen his play when he dribbling he seems floating and light but he still maintain his posture
SPA: looks okay
SPS: 81 maybe
LPA: bit underrated he need 80
LPS: i think 77 would fit him
SA: fit
SP: it seems he overrated, should be 85
ST: upgrade to 81, although his SA &SP not special, his ST was helping it
Header: 85, he deserve more than 82
Agg: raise to90, are u sure he's 86??? he likes go forward too much.
warriorism

Re: Matthias SAMMER | 1994-1996

Postby warriorism » 2011 Mar 14, 19:05

first goal by Ruben sosa.... was born by sammer superb long pass with his Weak Foot!(Left foot)
so surprised he can pass with that accuracy with left.
next goal was by sammer himself with Left again, although it was blind shoot but it has a strange effect that bouncing and swirling back to the goal...
definitely has something on his shoot technique

oh yeah he even scoring many goals in dortmund with his left...
and it's from middle shooting...

so obviously his weak foot accuracy & frequency need goes to 8

and lastly...
his agility & ST should be in orange value for what im analyse that two was his major technical weapon...

my though: he has a bit higher agility than his response considering his wind-like movement.
in my eyes his response should be in 91 then his agility should 94

his 1-touch, technique was godlike enough that not many people notice, on 88 to be fair... an exceptional ball trapper that helped moeller many times in german and dortmund....

great response in 0:29-0:31 if you know what i mean...

rarely i saw a responsiveness athlete like that

Return to “90's”