Brede Hangeland

Moderator: Mod's

PES Stats Database

Brede Hangeland

Postby PES Stats Database » 2008 Dec 09, 11:48

Hangeland has taken the Premier League by storm this season, prompting numerous clubs to claim an interest in his services. Forging a solid partnership with the underrated Aaron Hughes with Mark Schwarzer providing the custodial role, Hangeland has made an integral contribution to Fulham's solid defence (although less can be said of their strike force). The Texan-born Norwegian originally started his career at third division minnows FK Vidar, moving to Viking two seasons after and also joining the international set-up. Hangeland started to set a name for himself in the Norwegian league, being part of the Viking team that won the Norwegian Cup in 2001 (Let's face it, regardless of how good he is, he wasn't going to be able to break the tedious trend of Rosenborg BK winning the League). He then moved to FC Copenhagen where he got his first taste for European football - although hopefully not his last - and played well in the process, helping Copenhagen sweep up a double in his first season and winning the league for two consecutive years. Although I won't go into details, countless Danish and Norwegian fans have pointed to this point in his career as a real turn towards maturity in his playing style. In January of last season, he was brought into a struggling Fulham at the start of the Hodgson reign whilst still being unknown in the European footballing community. He's quickly changing this, after just about saving Fulham from the drop (although Murphy, Bullard, Nevland and McBride have received most of the credit for this), he has cemented his place in the first team and is increasingly winning over Premier League fans with his uncompromising defensive style, amazing height, decent heading ability and positional ability. Although I hate to go along with the stereotypical analogies provided by the media, he does seem to be in the same sort of mould as the chronically underrated Sami Hyypia.

Defence
He has excellent positioning and this has been undoubtedly shown at both FC Copenhagen and at Fulham. In fact it has been this quality of his that has led many to call him one of the best defenders in the Premier League, although I feel that's grossly overstated. Nonetheless, he does have decent positioning and the only reason that I haven't placed him at an 85 value is because I'd like to see how he'll fare in his second full season in the Premier League. Accompanying that is my own belief that he shouldn't have an equal value to Lucio just yet and, of course, the beloved arrow system will give him a decent arrow on one of the positive days, and with his Consistency value, there will be a lot of them.

Balance
For a man of his height he really doesn't dominate physically as much as he should, in fact it's surprised me at just how many players actually do outmuscle him. He was run ragged by the likes of Carlton Cole, Yakubu, Jason Roberts and Benjani Mwaruwari. And the circumstances where they did outmuscle him were clear cut; they weren't running straight at him, and therefore building enough momentum to blast past him regardless of strength, and they didn't use any underhand tactics to "outmuscle" (i.e. Volkan Demirel shoved Jan Koller in the Euros, this prompted Turkish stat makers to proclaim that he was stronger than Koller when, in actuality, he just caught Koller off guard). People forget that height means nothing, it's your build that correlates to strength (although even then, strength can be hidden), like Crouch he's very lanky, and if he were to have the same body build as Campbell or Koller then he'd be a brick wall. That's not to say that he's as weak as Crouch, there are very few that are! In fact, most of his physical strength is shown when in the opposition box when he's trying to vie a position for a header, I remember him completely out muscling Gallas in the Arsenal vs. Fulham match in September (he subsequently scored, poking it past Almunia), although that itself could be partly due to Arsenal's inability to defend from set-pieces. So if I were to sum him up, strength-wise, I'd say that he's a lot more like Senderos than he is Metzelder.

Passing
A skill that Hangeland has developed from his days as a defensive midfielder, yet he still incorporates it well into his playing style as a central defender. Roy Hodgson too has been able to use this asset successfully into Fulham with his tactics of a flowing, passing game (A tactic that he presumably picked up from his numerous managerial stints in the Serie A). Although Hangeland isn't that dangerous with his passing moves, he will surprise you with a fairly decent range of passing (for a defender at least) with accuracy.

Header & Jump
In comparison to most other defenders, his heading ability is largely quite good. In terms of the accuracy of his headers and headed passes he's in and around the same sort of region as Sylvain Distin and Sol Campbell. Heck, if the goal was just an inch wider then he'd have scored countless goals for Fulham having hit the bar many times since he's joined them. And yet, for a man of his height he really doesn't dominate the air as much as he should. His leap is rather lacking the vast majority of the time, although on a good day he'll get some height, simply by not reaching the sort of heights that he should. It's the technique he uses for leaping, he doesn't get enough spring and needs to bend his legs more. Although that's not the main issue he often doesn't leap, rather like a lot of players in his height range, thinking that his height and fantastic first touch will lead him to getting the ball anyway in a process I call Lateral Crouch Thinking. This proves to be a particular problem when you get a nippy poacher opposing him, someone like Robbie Keane, who will simply nick the ball from him whilst Hangeland waits for the ball to come to him. The first rule of heading is to attack the ball, and he doesn't do this when he defends set pieces. Anyway, I digress....

Technique
His first touch is often overlooked when people discuss Hangeland, and if anything it's one of the aspects that's been helpful towards Fulham's fluid passing system. He can reach out and take the ball away like a bullfrog with its tongue and - with his tall, lanky demeanour - will remind you of Peter Crouch in this sense. The sad thing is that he doesn't receive much appraisal for it, whereas the likes of Ferdinand and Puyol are revered so highly in this area. It's another area in which he can be compared to Hyypia, his first touch brings the ball down stylishly and thus destroying the attacking move in the process. Again, this is another value that will probably see an increase in the future and it could definitely be a yellow one!

Condition/Fitness
I don't think there's a question about Hangeland's lack of fatigue; he's played every game for Fulham so far this season, he played nearly every game possible last season, and played every game
for FC Copenhagen in the 06/07 season.

By GoonerLover66

GavidTreveguet

Re: Brede HANGELAND

Postby GavidTreveguet » 2008 Dec 15, 02:56

Like with Michael Turner, i would suggest an improvement in Hangeland's heading abilities. I think he's a better header of the ball than the stats dictate. Whilst i'd keep his jump as it is, given his height, i think he's shown in many games this season how dominant he is in the air and manages to win pretty much every header that comes his way. This has been one of the many reasons why Fulham's defence has been so sturdy recently.

I would suggest 84/85.
choccy

Postby choccy » 2008 Dec 19, 17:56

GavidTreveguet wrote:Like with Michael Turner, i would suggest an improvement in Hangeland's heading abilities. I think he's a better header of the ball than the stats dictate. Whilst i'd keep his jump as it is, given his height, i think he's shown in many games this season how dominant he is in the air and manages to win pretty much every header that comes his way. This has been one of the many reasons why Fulham's defence has been so sturdy recently.

I would suggest 84/85.

Agree with that.

Also his DEF and Response could do with a tweak, both seem a bit low if you consider how easy he's taken to the PL.

Another thing, is his TS and ACC a bit underrated as well? Not sure myself, but to me he seems a bit quicker than that.
Persona non grata
Paddy

Postby Paddy » 2008 Dec 21, 21:02

he's been colossal in the air as ever, but now his reading of the game and positioning has improved immeasurably. Calm and composed and always looks to play the ball out of defence. One of the reasons for Fulhams incredible defensive record.
bald777

Postby bald777 » 2009 Jan 03, 12:46

agree with the heading increase. defence could go up to 83 and response to 84. thoughts?
Paddy

Postby Paddy » 2009 Jan 17, 16:04

He's a revalation.
TheTrueSeto

Postby TheTrueSeto » 2009 Feb 14, 10:33

bald777 wrote:agree with the heading increase. defence could go up to 83 and response to 84. thoughts?

yeah this and the heading increase. rock of the fulham defence. I wouldn't argue as well if someone suggests to raise BB
BiG TeL

Postby BiG TeL » 2009 Feb 22, 13:26

So I would agree with:

Defence: 83
Body Balance: 89
Response: 83
Header: 84
vicecity

Postby vicecity » 2009 Mar 20, 23:18

Well, here’s a player that I promised to do before the elimination of the agenda but I feel its one worthwhile doing. Although he still remains in relative anonymity, he is progressively becoming one of the better defenders in the Premier League and has had numerous clubs bidding for him. Have no doubts, Fulham should fear a potential exodus in the Summer from bigger clubs and he is one of the players that could leave. When you alter Fulham’s tactics, make sure that you assign him the role of going forward for set-pieces as he’ll prove to be a real danger for the opposition, so here’s......

Name: Brede Paulsen Hangeland

Club: Fulham
Number: 5
Position: CB*
Nationality: Norwegian

Foot: R
Side: B

Length: 195
Weight: 92

Attack: 64
Defence: 84
Balance: 87
Stamina: 83
Top Speed: 76
Acceleration: 79
Response: 84
Agility: 73
Dribble Accuracy: 74
Dribble Speed: 72
Short Pass Accuracy: 76
Short Pass Speed: 79
Long Pass Acc.: 73
Long Pass Speed: 77
Shot Accuracy: 62
Shot Power: 83
Shot Technique: 65
Free Kick Accuracy: 63
Curling: 69
Header: 86
Jump: 78
Technique: 79
Aggression: 62
Mentality: 82
Keeper Skills: 50
Team Work: 82

Injury Tolerance: B
Condition/Fitness: 8
Weak Foot Accuracy: 5
Weak Foot frequency: 5
Consistency: 7

SPECIAL ABILITIES:
-

Hangeland has taken the Premier League by storm this season, prompting numerous clubs to claim an interest in his services. Forging a solid partnership with the underrated Aaron Hughes with Mark Schwarzer providing the custodial role, Hangeland has made an integral contribution to Fulham’s solid defence (although less can be said of their strike force). The Texan-born Norwegian originally started his career at third division minnows FK Vidar, moving to Viking two seasons after and also joining the international set-up. Hangeland started to set a name for himself in the Norwegian league, being part of the Viking team that won the Norwegian Cup in 2001 (Let’s face it, regardless of how good he is, he wasn’t going to be able to break the tedious trend of Rosenborg BK winning the League). He then moved to FC Copenhagen where he got his first taste for European football - although hopefully not his last - and played well in the process, helping Copenhagen sweep up a double in his first season and winning the league for two consecutive years. Although I won’t go into details, countless Danish and Norwegian fans have pointed to this point in his career as a real turn towards maturity in his playing style. In January of last season, he was brought into a struggling Fulham at the start of the Hodgson reign whilst still being unknown in the European footballing community. He’s quickly changing this, after just about saving Fulham from the drop (although Murphy, Bullard, Nevland and McBride have received most of the credit for this), he has cemented his place in the first team and is increasingly winning over Premier League fans with his uncompromising defensive style, amazing height, decent heading ability and positional ability. Although I hate to go along with the stereotypical analogies provided by the media, he does seem to be in the same sort of mould as the chronically underrated Sami Hyypiä.

Defence
He has excellent positioning and this has been undoubtedly shown at both FC Copenhagen and at Fulham. In fact it has been this quality of his that has led many to call him one of the best defenders in the Premier League, although I feel that's grossly overstated. Nonetheless, he does have decent positioning and the only reason that I haven't placed him at an 85 value is because I'd like to see how he'll fare in his second full season in the Premier League. Accompanying that is my own belief that he shouldn't have an equal value to Lucio just yet and, of course, the beloved arrow system will give him a decent arrow on one of the positive days, and with his Consistency value, there will be a lot of them.

Balance
For a man of his height he really doesn't dominate physically as much as he should, in fact it's surprised me at just how many players actually do outmuscle him. He was run ragged by the likes of Carlton Cole, Yakubu, Jason Roberts and Benjani Mwaruwari. And the circumstances where they did outmuscle him were clear cut; they weren't running straight at him, and therefore building enough momentum to blast past him regardless of strength, and they didn't use any underhand tactics to "outmuscle" (i.e. Volkan Demirel shoved Jan Koller in the Euros, this prompted Turkish stat makers to proclaim that he was stronger than Koller when, in actuality, he just caught Koller off guard). People forget that height means nothing, it's your build that correlates to strength (although even then, strength can be hidden), like Crouch he's very lanky, and if he were to have the same body build as Campbell or Koller then he'd be a brick wall. That's not to say that he's as weak as Crouch, there are very few that are! In fact, most of his physical strength is shown when in the opposition box when he's trying to vie a position for a header, I remember him completely out muscling Gallas in the Arsenal vs. Fulham match in September (he subsequently scored, poking it past Almunia), although that itself could be partly due to Arsenal's inability to defend from set-pieces. So if I were to sum him up, strength-wise, I'd say that he's a lot more like Senderos than he is Metzelder.

Passing
A skill that Hangeland has developed from his days as a defensive midfielder, yet he still incorporates it well into his playing style as a central defender. Roy Hodgson too has been able to use this asset successfully into Fulham with his tactics of a flowing, passing game (A tactic that he presumably picked up from his numerous managerial stints in the Serie A). Although Hangeland isn't that dangerous with his passing moves, he will surprise you with a fairly decent range of passing (for a defender at least) with accuracy.

Header & Jump
In comparison to most other defenders, his heading ability is largely quite good. In terms of the accuracy of his headers and headed passes he’s in and around the same sort of region as Sylvain Distin and Sol Campbell. Heck, if the goal was just an inch wider then he’d have scored countless goals for Fulham having hit the bar many times since he’s joined them. And yet, for a man of his height he really doesn’t dominate the air as much as he should. His leap is rather lacking the vast majority of the time, although on a good day he’ll get some height, simply by not reaching the sort of heights that he should. It’s the technique he uses for leaping, he doesn’t get enough spring and needs to bend his legs more. Although that’s not the main issue he often doesn’t leap, rather like a lot of players in his height range, thinking that his height and fantastic first touch will lead him to getting the ball anyway in a process I call “Lateral Crouch Thinking”. This proves to be a particular problem when you get a nippy poacher opposing him, someone like Robbie Keane, who will simply nick the ball from him whilst Hangeland waits for the ball to come to him. The first rule of heading is to attack the ball, and he doesn’t do this when he defends set pieces. Anyway, I digress....

Technique
His first touch is often overlooked when people discuss Hangeland, and if anything it's one of the aspects that's been helpful towards Fulham's fluid passing system. He can reach out and take the ball away like a bullfrog with its tongue and - with his tall, lanky demeanour - will remind you of Peter Crouch in this sense. The sad thing is that he doesn't receive much appraisal for it, whereas the likes of Ferdinand and Puyol are revered so highly in this area. It’s another area in which he can be compared to Hyypia, his first touch brings the ball down stylishly and thus destroying the attacking move in the process. Again, this is another value that will probably see an increase in the future and it could definitely be a yellow one!

Condition/Fitness
I don't think there's a question about Hangeland's lack of fatigue; he's played every game for Fulham so far this season, he played nearly every game possible last season, and played every game
for FC Copenhagen in the 06/07 season.

BY GOONER
jmg721

Postby jmg721 » 2009 Mar 20, 23:20

Yep...that seems right :D
"The Recoba Effect"
vicecity

Postby vicecity » 2009 Mar 20, 23:22

So I think they definately need to go in the first post then.
jmg721

Postby jmg721 » 2009 Mar 21, 12:29

GoonerLover66 wrote:Technique
His first touch is often overlooked when people discuss Hangeland, and if anything it's one of the aspects that's been helpful towards Fulham's fluid passing system. He can reach out and take the ball away like a bullfrog with its tongue and - with his tall, lanky demeanour - will remind you of Peter Crouch in this sense. The sad thing is that he doesn't receive much appraisal for it, whereas the likes of Ferdinand and Puyol are revered so highly in this area. It’s another area in which he can be compared to Hyypia, his first touch brings the ball down stylishly and thus destroying the attacking move in the process. Again, this is another value that will probably see an increase in the future and it could definitely be a yellow one!
I'll admit...I have definitely overlooked this aspect. There are very few CB's from my knowlege that deserve above a 75 in technique....to me that has always been sort of the top mark for Technical CB. It's good that a REAL stats maker like yourself can be bold enough to go that extra bit. It really opens my eyes up. Maybe there were guys I put at 75 that could be 78 or higher. I didn't want to come too close to the Maldini range ;)
"The Recoba Effect"
BECKS23LA

Postby BECKS23LA » 2009 May 02, 22:55

Cond must be 8, he never misses a game
Vandeach

Postby Vandeach » 2009 May 02, 23:02

He has been here often for Fulham this year but having a quick look at his appearance record he averaged around 20-23 games a season with Viking FK and F.C Copenhagen, I have no idea of his injury record there, but that is less than impressive, more Condition: 5 if anything, but he has played 50 games for Fulham in a season and a half.
"If you are first you are first. If you are second, you are nothing" - Bill Shankly.
"I guarantee fourth place" - Rafael Benitez.
Nrby

Postby Nrby » 2009 May 02, 23:06

He is a bit underrated if you ask me ... hope Fulham gets that 7th post so that we can see him in the europa league :)
deity86

Postby deity86 » 2009 Jun 22, 12:46

Should the 1st post be updated with Gooner's stats?
Alf Ramsey: "I'll be watching you for the first 45 minutes and if you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime."
Rodney Marsh: "Crikey Alf, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea."
choccy

Postby choccy » 2009 Jun 24, 17:49

deity86 wrote:Should the 1st post be updated with Gooner's stats?

IMO yes, they look spot on.

The only thing I'd change is his mentality, I think he deserves more - 84/85, he's a natural leader mostly because of the way he handles pressure and he doesn't crumble when his team are a goal (or more) down.
Persona non grata
Paddy

Postby Paddy » 2009 Jun 26, 17:40

He's a bit older than this...
Ken

Postby Ken » 2009 Jun 26, 18:00

Paddy wrote:He's a bit older than this...

What do you mean "older than this" ?
Paddy

Postby Paddy » 2009 Jun 26, 18:51

1st post has been edited.

Return to “Retired Players”