Stamina up 1 to 81
Response up 3 to 81
Agility up 3 to 82
Shot accuracy up 2 to 80
Shot Power up 3 to 85
Shot Technique up 1 to 82
Technique up 1 to 79

Add star:

Penalties (Definite, think he's only missed one this season)
D-Line
Yes, I support Preston.
Giff
New Stat Maker

Re: Sylvan EBANKS-BLAKE

Postby Giff » 2009 Mar 11, 09:45

He atleast deserves to have 90 in both acceleration and top speed. Maybe some point less. But he is very fast. He is faster then Henry, and certinly fastest on the team.
Ajacied_Breda1
Veteran Stat Maker

Postby Ajacied_Breda1 » 2009 Mar 11, 10:01

He's fast but not 90's fast. I'd say moreso about the 86 for TS and 87 for Acc.

I agree with Softy's suggestions (Even though it should've been the *Lines rather than *D-Line :lol:) and I'd like to seriously suggest looking into giving him the *Scoring star. 25 goals in 49 appearances last season for Plymouth and Wolves and 20 goals in 32 appearances for Wolves so far...

I'm surprised this guy is still in the Championship. :?
Buon compleanno, il pibe d'oro.
Softy
New Stat Maker

Postby Softy » 2009 Mar 11, 16:35

Okay, I agree on the speed stats, and yeah, dunno why I put D-Line! I'll add scoring star in the update.
Yes, I support Preston.
Softy
New Stat Maker

Postby Softy » 2009 Mar 11, 16:54

Updated lads. :)
Yes, I support Preston.
jmg721
PSD Guru

Postby jmg721 » 2009 May 01, 09:27

CREDITS TO GOONERLOVER66

Who says that the Manchester United academy is dead and buried? Sylvan Ebanks-Blake is one of the many graduates of the aforementioned academy who have failed to pierce into the first team squad of Manchester United, and that was certainly not through lack of ability or the wrong attitude but because United simply had too many players ahead of Ebanks-Blake and it was inevitable that they had to let him go. Like his former partner Giuseppe Rossi, Ebanks-Blake has come into prominence elsewhere and has similarly exploded onto the football scene that has left many excited about where his future lies for both club and country. His potential and ability has always been quite obvious, it may surprise some MLS fans but Ebanks-Blake's form at Manchester United made Kenny Cooper look like a second-rate striker. He left the Manchester United academy in 2006, despite a wonderful record with the reserves and a successful loan in Belgium, and was snapped up by Plymouth Argyle for a fee of £200,000 (potentially rising higher depending on how successful he would be) and didn't make the most immediate effect, scoring most of his goals towards the end of his first season at Plymouth Argyle. The second season proved to be far better and he kicked it off with 11 league goals before New Years Eve and by this point he had made himself a firm favourite with the Pilgrims, for them nothing could go wrong! That is, until January came around. In January 2008, Plymouth Argyle saw a mass exodus of first-team talent of which few teams worldwide had ever experienced. Ákos Buzsáky, David Norris, Barry Hayles and Dan Gosling all left Plymouth Argyle in that transfer period and alas so did our protagonist, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, and he moved to Wolverhampton Wanderers to replace Freddy Eastwood and the mercurial Jay Bothroyd, who both could not gel with the team and experienced a severe goal-scoring drought within the period. Ebanks-Blake’s transfer was certainly not futile and he started his career at Wolves in the same vein that he ended his Plymouth Argyle career, scoring 7 goals in his first 8 starts and ended the season with 23 goals to his name (accrued from his Plymouth Argyle goals) and the Golden Boot for the Championship. Surely he couldn’t follow up on a such a season, could he? Well, with the season 13 games strong, Ebanks-Blake had already scored 9 times. Fast forward to....now and you’ll find that Ebanks-Blake has scored 25 goals, has won the Championship Player of the Year award and scored the goal that helped Wolves achieve automatic promotion! He maintained a level of consistency throughout the season so high that, even when the rest of the Wolves team tapered off, our man Sylvan was still scoring prolifically. At this point in an article I tend to compare the player to another, don't I? In this case, I think that the attributes that Ebanks-Blake has makes in the comparison rather easy. He has, in my mind, a similar playing style and traits to Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink; Strong, decent turn of pace, powerful shooting, frequently attacking, can make something out of nothing, fat arse. It’s all there!

Attack
Ebanks-Blake’s positioning is not an area of his that I rate highly. Although a prominent and prolific goal-scorer who does score a lot of goals within the opposition box, it is not his positioning that gets him into these scoring positions. He gets into these positions mostly due to the long-balls from the Wolves midfield in which Ebanks-Blake runs as the ball is being played, using his immense strength and pace to get past the opposition defenders, and then simply slams the ball into the net. Or where he makes a late, but well-timed run, from behind the defender to score. It’s quite a good variety of tactics but they can only truly be adopted at a level in which the opposing defenders have comparatively poor positional sense. And from his style of play we can see that he doesn’t show the same sort of positioning ability as the likes of James Beattie and Kevin Phillips have shown at this level (although both have them have shown decent positioning in the top-flight too). Heck, in his Manchester United days this was one of the aspects in which Giuseppe Rossi was the more accomplished.

Balance
Ebanks-Blake has the type of physique that draws people to criticise him for being overweight and I think it shows a little bit in his overall stamina. He is very much a short-burst player in the runs that he makes, with or without the ball, and is not constantly involved in build-up play. However, when he appears, he certainly makes his presence felt. As I have mentioned before, and will do throughout the analysis, his immense strength is arguably the biggest contributory factor towards his goal-scoring. He brushes defenders aside with such ease, and with a good level of pace he has been nigh on unstoppable in the Championship. It is also a highly beneficial area to his aerial ability and is a real pain for defenders, as he backs into them after seemingly allowing them free jumps, regardless of how strong they are. It is likely that he’ll surprise quite a few Premier League defenders (Well, those who haven’t paid attention to the potential new competition) with his strength because - let’s face it - regardless of his build, his rather diminutive height does not give the impression of oxen-like strength.

Pace
It's rather funny, actually. He's another a player who shows a very good level of acceleration, and whilst his top speed may not show the eye-popping level of pace as the likes of Kabba, he can be considered a pacy player. He is very much a short-burst player in the runs that he makes, with or without the ball, and this in accumulation to his immense strength helps him to burst past the opposition defender when a ball comes lofted over the top or when the ball is about to come into the box via a cross. He scored a goal against Colchester United last season that epitomised the sheer burst of pace that he does possess.

Agility
As previously mentioned, he's built like an oxen and possesses an amazing physical strength. And yet he has a nimbility in his movements and actions that makes marking him problematic, and helps him to evade so many defenders. Although he maintains a certain rigidness in his dribbling that is solely due to other factors about him that make it unnecessary for him to twist-and-turn around the opposition, he simply barges past the opposition with a titillating mixture of explosive pace and a powerhouse physique. However if you look at his movement in the opposition box or in areas surrounding the opposition box, you see a completely different creature. He turns past players with great ease with a slick, slippery motion that can dumbfound a Championship defence, leading to understandable comparisons with Andy Cole and, by some, Thierry Henry in this specific area.

Weaker Foot
Not a lot of people seem to notice this trait of his, but when he does show the accuracy he possesses in his weaker foot you can affirm your knowledge of him having an all-round ability. There are numerous examples of the skill and power in his left foot, one of the best ones would be the second of his two goals against Charlton last season (The Goal of the Season goal) and there are countless others that do indeed justify this sort of valuation. Actually, this is an area in which he is quite comparable to Sebastian Boenisch at Werder Bremen and slots in quite nicely with that discussion.

Defence & Mentality
Quite a fault by comparison to his other stats, Ebanks-Blake’s tendency to come back and defend is rather low in relation to the average striker. He will, more often than not, linger in the position he was previously even when he’s showing no signs of fatigue. I find it rather odd that Wolves, last season, had a selection of strikers who wouldn’t track back, the mercurial gypsy Freddy Eastwood being one of them. I would say that he has a higher tendency to track back than the likes of Ronaldo and Adriano, that’s for certain, but he doesn’t match up to the average striker in terms of helping out when the attack turns to defence. Now when it comes to Mentality, we have an interesting predicament with Ebanks-Blake. Sylvan has a good work-rate and possesses a good level of determination, and as we have mentioned previously; he was one of the few Wolves players to keep their head when they went through a rough patch of form. This seems odd because, surely, a hard-working player must inevitably track back, right? And yet Ebanks-Blake tends to only show a fairly decent work-rate in the opposition half without tracking back, it’s remarkably odd but there are quite a lot of strikers like that; think Amr Zaki before he went off form! Sadly this subsequently diminishes the potential Mentality that one could give him because, as my old friend Tuomas adequately put it, we have to consider the effect that Mentality has in relation with the rest of the Holy 4. Too high a Mentality is going to help him to track back, more so than he currently does and so we have to put something of a cap on how high a Mentality value he can receive. Anyway, that doesn’t really matter. His determination and work-rate can be quite hit-and-miss at times, so that effectively limits what you can give him.

Penalties
Quite a controversial area here, and I’m bound to have some-one questioning my decision here but I have not given Ebanks-Blake the Penalties special ability. I do understand that he does score quite a lot of penalties, and has currently scored 6 penalties this season. But let’s not forget that he has also missed 2 (against Coventry and Charlton), whereas someone like David Villa has scored every penalty he has been given this season (8 to be precise) and he is clearly someone that warrants the star. Moreover, I can’t see what would make Sylvan more warranting of the star than someone like Ruud Van Nistelrooy (who delperio didn’t give the star to). It’s not as if he’s going to be poor at penalties without the star, just look at his shooting stats and you can guess that he will score a lot of penalties but will indeed miss some, as he does in reality.
"The Recoba Effect"
manoloxcr17
PSD Loyalty Program Member

Postby manoloxcr17 » 2009 May 17, 03:08

BB for 84 he is strong.
Farts stinks like a mother fucker!
jmg721
PSD Guru

Postby jmg721 » 2009 May 17, 04:49

EnigmaX wrote:BB for 84 he is strong.

Dude...look at Gooner's....he is an 88 ;)
"The Recoba Effect"
manoloxcr17

Postby manoloxcr17 » 2009 May 17, 04:50

Gonner stats are the real ones?
jmg721
PSD Guru

Postby jmg721 » 2009 May 17, 05:03

If we can get enough people agreeing on them...but they are definitely more current, and a very trusted stats maker. They are the ones I'd use ;)
"The Recoba Effect"
manoloxcr17

Postby manoloxcr17 » 2009 May 22, 23:43

Ok dude thanks. ;)
Vandeach

Postby Vandeach » 2009 Jun 03, 17:35

Updated with Gooner's stats ;).
"If you are first you are first. If you are second, you are nothing" - Bill Shankly.
"I guarantee fourth place" - Rafael Benitez.
prosser2k10
Valued Contributor

Postby prosser2k10 » 2009 Jul 28, 16:21

update age hes 23 now and do you think he should have lines* :?:
Sheffield Wednesday FC
Tom

Postby Tom » 2012 Jan 27, 13:49

It's been 3 years since I made this set, and I'm not exactly sure how I'd evaluate Ebanks Blake's time in the Premier League. To be frank, he's not set the world alight. He started off pretty poor and has since been largely consigned to the bench. However, for a player whose appearances majorly came from being substituted on, 7 goals is a fairly decent haul for a club as weak as Wolves. But there certainly can be changes made, largely to his physical attributes.

Unlike his barnstorming, bullish Championship performances, Ebanks Blakes seems to have balked at the possibility of a real Premier League physical tussle. Sure, he's definitely strong and stocky. But he's certainly not shown the sheer momentous strength that he did some seasons ago. I'd probably knock his Balance down to an 84. Close to Darren Bent, but definitely superior to him.

Again, this is an area that parallels the Bent situation. He doesn't play from as deep a position as he used to when he plays. He never gets the chance to come in from the right and shoot across goal any more, instead he appears to be instructed to push the line - which, actually, rather suits Ebanks Blakes' often lethargic style. He's still got a good burst, just watch him when a loose ball appears. But I'm not sure you could argue it's to this degree at the moment. Perhaps a TS of 81 and Acceleration of 83 would emulate his style, although you do have to consider the Response attribute in this equation. Similarly, he's not as quick on the ball - or at least he's not showing it - any more. So I'd probably knock his DS down to a 78/79.

I'd also look to make a definite change to his Condition. He simply doesn't warrant the 7 any more. He's not first choice, his performances come from the bench in brief 35-25 minute bursts. I'd probably knock this down to a 5.
I wouldn't make a change to his Stamina. Again, whilst he can look lethargic, he is often prone to a true hard-working performance - just look at how he performed against Norwich in December.

Agility could use slight a decline. He opens his body well, but as I stated in my original explanation; he's got a rather "straight-line" style of dribbling. I think this was perhaps an over-evaluation of how well he can spin past his marker, and believe me he could do this terrifically in the Championship - he was amazingly sprightly on the pivot for a player with such a stocky build. Right now, I'd probably put him at a 79, although I'm hesitant to do so as he really can pivot on the spot well.

I'd also reduce his Shooting stats a touch as they currently make him a little more potent in the League mode than he should be. His SP could go down to an 82/83 value, he's not really scored some of the jack-hammer goals he used to. And I'd reduce his Shot Technique down to an 80/81. The fact is, I'm uncertain what to do here. He's a really good finisher, but you don't want to make him too potent.

Other than that, I'm really not sure what to do about Ebanks Blake's set. When he plays, he looks dangerous and a lot of Wolves fans would like him to start ahead of Doyle. On the other hand, Ebanks Blake is a tactically limited player and generally - although he will surprise you at times - lacks the energy needed to work a Premier League defence for a full 90 minutes. That's why he has a bench-based role, quite similar to Hernandez. McCarthy seems willing to use the likes of Doyle and Fletcher to harry and wear down the opposing defence and then bring on Ebanks Blake late to raise the scoring threat.
However, it is paramount to point out that he's not particularly a lazy player at that. If you watch some of the games this season that he has played (off the top of my head, I'd point to the Norwich match in December and Wolves' cup exit against Birmingham last week), you'll see that he does work hard (I think the Hernandez/Zaki comparison is valid; he ventures nary out the opposing half but he does harry and work hard - which makes me wonder whether we should raise his Mentality) and he is an incredibly dangerous striker in and around the box (He strikes the ball with general accuracy and can produce a cracking, if not goal-scoring shot, when tightly marked and pressed).
Fiddy

Postby Fiddy » 2012 Jan 27, 23:12

Agree with pretty much evrything Tom.
PIPA23

Re: Sylvan Ebanks-Blake

Postby PIPA23 » 2013 Dec 20, 13:27

he signed with Ipswich town untill end of 2013/2014 season, he will wear n.27:
http://www.itfc.co.uk/news/article/eban ... 45352.aspx
mracho
Veteran Stat Maker

Re: Sylvan Ebanks-Blake

Postby mracho » 2013 Dec 21, 18:25

PIPA, you can move players by yourself now that you're a green mod, maybe it's even faster and easier for you than to write a post in the thread. ;) If you have any questions about moving players, feel free to PM me.

Return to “English Lower Leagues”