PSD Guru

Re: Will Buckley

Postby BigStu » 2013 May 10, 18:35

if madvillain reads this I'd like your thoughts on him if you've seen enough
frshmn
Regular Poster

Postby frshmn » 2013 May 10, 18:58

I've only been following him since he joined Albion, so I haven't got a set for him yet. He's become a hot property in the Championship over the past two years or so, and quite rightly so. To tell you the truth, I haven't watched him as intently as I have players like Ince and Zaha, so I can only really describe him in very vague terms. In fairness to him, he's up there with the best in the Championship when it comes to technical ability - he has this real "continental" style so to speak, in the sense that he has the verve and flair you'd typically associate with players from abroad - but I've been preoccupied with working on player's who've really come in to their own this season, this Championship seasons stand out players, as it were.

No concrete values right now since, as I said, I haven't paid as much attention to him as I have with others, but what I will say is, he's far better technically than these stats give him credit for, and he's got excellent control. He'd sit nicely on an 83 for DA, and he could do with some skill cards as well - very proficient when it comes to heel chops and such, which I suppose is aided somewhat by his nice turning circle. Also likes to take defenders on and beat them with little shimmies and step overs, so that's something to note.

I know for sure he needs a higher ACC, he really does burn past most Championship fullbacks. Also, my memory's sketchy, but iirc he sometimes plays as an attacking midfielder, although I'm not quite sure whether he's actually deployed there, or if that's a result of his drifting inwards.

Apologies for only describing him in vague strokes, I do plan on following him more closely next season (unless of course he makes the step up to the Premiership, which is becoming increasingly likely). Definitely a player to watch out for.
Formerly Madvillain.
BigStu
PSD Guru

Postby BigStu » 2013 May 10, 21:27

What i hoped you say ;) acc was a mistake would have rated it a few points higher to start with, though I would go higher still...one point I would bring up is I made a major booboo with long passing stats should be high greens if not yellow for speed and green for acc, on positions he has played a tiny bid as a SS...
frshmn
Regular Poster

Postby frshmn » 2013 May 10, 21:45

Yeah, tbh the ACC value did look odd. He's a very explosive player, and his burst is an important element of his game since he's a classic anticipation dribbler. I'm thinking an 86, possibly 87 value would be good for him, although I can't state with absolute certainty since I haven't got notes which often accompany my sets. As you said, the long passing stats are definitely due a raise, although I've generally noticed that his short passing game is more incisive - he has the cut of a natural playmaker at times when he pulls off those really penetrative one touch and weighted passes. Just an observation, I'm not sure if that's necessarily the case all of the time.

Would I be right in saying you're reluctant to add the SS position? It's nothing concrete, and it's especially hard to determine when you consider he's allowed the creative freedom to drift inwards from the wing. I can't add much more of substance to the matter, ultimately it's up to you.
Formerly Madvillain.
BigStu
PSD Guru

Postby BigStu » 2013 May 10, 21:58

87 is the value I had in my head ;) and yeah Short passing should sit closer to yellows...
frshmn
Regular Poster

Postby frshmn » 2013 May 10, 22:02

Yeah, I'd be okay with a high green value. I think ATT should be a few points higher too, whatever definition you choose to go by (not that the definitions are interchangeable, but he's deserving of a higher value either way). I can't quite put my finger on a concrete value, partly due to my own ignorance of ATT as a stat, but also due to the fact that his performances fluctuate a lot of the time. Sometimes he's a real handful for opposing defenders, other times there's little to no variance whatsoever in his play and he looks devoid of ideas. I'll leave it to you to pick a specific value Stu, but imo he's definitely worthy of a green value.

EDIT: Somehow forgot to mention, a lower value for Form kinda links in with my final point. I'd only go a point lower, mind you.
Formerly Madvillain.
BigStu
PSD Guru

Postby BigStu » 2013 May 10, 22:06

I only gave him such a low value caus I realised he wasn't over certain players...forgetting the players in question need updating (which they have), just checked the update log and I gave him 76 to start with
frshmn
Regular Poster

Postby frshmn » 2013 May 10, 22:11

I forgot to mention, he absolutely needs a higher EP value. He's got a very nice turning circle, and he's excellent at catching defenders off balance with sudden turns and shimmies. His EP coupled with his nice burst of pace makes him a real handful for defenders, since his movement is so unpredictable. I could see him sitting around an 85 value or so, that's one value I'm pretty certain about.
Formerly Madvillain.
anOKguy
Veteran Stat Maker

Postby anOKguy » 2019 Apr 30, 10:51

65-66 att really could fit this guy. A non-threat to ever do anything with his attacking intelligence. His passing is very poor and he doesn’t provide good crosses for his teammates, and he has poor finishing. Should maybe be a championship level sub just to bring pace, but even that is debatable

Return to “English Lower Leagues”