PES Stats Database
PSD Backbone

Grigoris Kastanos

Postby PES Stats Database » 2017 Mar 05, 19:54

Rex
Regular Poster

Re: Grigoris Kastanos, SV Zulte Waregem

Postby Rex » 2017 Oct 07, 23:05

He is by far technically most superior player of Cypriot NT, and unfortunately seems like a diamond in the rough while playing for Cyprus. They are not the worst team ever, at all, they are actually quite solid for a country with such a small population (+only Greeks want to play for Cyprus) but Kastanos just has no teammate to link up with consistently. Sotiriou is a nice striker, that french guy Laban is a solid deep siting midfielder, but that's not enough to extract the qualities of Kastanos.
Relja's not dead
petreleo
PSD Loyalty Program Member

Postby petreleo » 2017 Oct 08, 00:16

BanovoBrdoRepublika wrote:He is by far technically most superior player of Cypriot NT, and unfortunately seems like a diamond in the rough while playing for Cyprus. They are not the worst team ever, at all, they are actually quite solid for a country with such a small population (+only Greeks want to play for Cyprus) but Kastanos just has no teammate to link up with consistently. Sotiriou is a nice striker, that french guy Laban is a solid deep siting midfielder, but that's not enough to extract the qualities of Kastanos.

Great post.
The problem with Cyprus under new manager, Ben Shimon, as well as previous manager, Christakis Christoforou, is that they play far too defensive even against teams like Estonia and Greece, for no reason what so ever.
If only they started Kastanos more often in the World Cup Qualifiers... Who knows what could have happened? With 2nd place not far from sight, it could have changed things only for the better.
For the majority of the qualifiers, Cyprus played with a 4-3-3 formation(1 DM, 2 CM), and the three Midfielders were mainly defensive-minded players; Artymatas(a Defensive-Midfielder by trade), Hambos Kyriakou(can play the ball well from the back but he is no Attacking-Midfielder, but rather a Defensive-Midfielder and even Center-Back), and Vincent Laban(who I am also a big fan of, but he is 33 years old).
In the absence of Kastanos in the main line-up in many games, there was absolutely no link between midfield and attack. Pieros is in great form in the last two and a half years, but he cannot do everything by himself, and remember he is not very creative, and technique is one of his biggest disadvantages.
Even the WIngs were totally absent in many games, with frequent injuries to Georgios Efrem and Demetris Christofi. For example tonight, with the regular three in midfield, Kastanos played but not in his favourite position of Attacking-Midfielder, but on the Right-WIng, and on the Left-Wing was Margaca, a Defensive-Midfielder/Left-Back!
The positive news is that Tottenham's Left-WIng-Back, Anthony Georgiou, is in the process of obtaining Cypriot citizenship, and maybe he can do something on the Left-Wing in the future.
But nevertheless there are many areas of the squad that Cyprus need to address if they want to do anything in the short future.
As you said, if Kastanos gets more game-time in the National-team as well as at club-level(a big IF), then the Attacking-Midfield of Cyprus would be sorted for years, as well as the Center of Defence with Laifis, Nicholas Ioannou and others, all capable of playing for top teams in the future. Of course Pieros is indispensable up-front, as well as Jason Demetriou who doing a great job at Right-Back, and we seem sorted at Defensive-Midfield at the moment, but the fact that Laban is 33 years old and possibly playing his last international games, does worry me. The other positions, mainly Left-Back(although Ioannou can play there) and Wingers seem up for grabs for the Euro qualifiers.
About Kastanos, I do agree with what you said. The sky is the limit for him, but he seems far from a final product and far too immature at the minute. The key for him, as I have said above, is to get more game-time at club-level, and then to be trusted more in the National-team. I don't know if he can do it either at Zulte, but the first sample is not very optimistic.
Here is a post I have made about Kastanos last Season in the Missing Serie A player's topic:

petreleo wrote:My Set on Grigoris Kastanos, senior Cypriot International, on-loan from Juventus to Pescara. It is based mainly on his performances with the National Team, where I could watch him more easily. Hopefully, my Set will helpful...

Spoiler: show
Club: Delfino Pescara 1936
Name: Grigoris Kastanos
Shirt Name: KASTANOS
Number: 9
Positions: AM, CM, SM

Nationality: Cypriot _cyp

Height: 178 cm
Weight: 71 kg

Injury Tolerance: B
Foot: L
Side: B

Attack: 69
Defence: 48
Balance: 75
Stamina: 77
Top Speed: 76
Acceleration: 77
Response: 72
Agility: 80
Dribble Accuracy: 82
Dribble Speed: 78
Short Pass Accuracy: 75
Short Pass Speed: 72
Long Pass Accuracy: 75
Long Pass Speed: 73
Shot Accuracy: 70
Shot Power: 77
Shot Technique: 72
Free Kick Accuracy: 72
Curling: 76
Header: 67
Jump: 70
Technique: 82
Aggression: 72
Mentality: 67
Keeper Skills: 50
Teamwork: 72

Condition/Fitness: 3
Weak Foot Accuracy: 4
Weak Foot Frequency: 4

ATTACK / DEFENCE AWARENESS: 2/2

NEW STATS:
Attack Prowess: 71
Defense Prowess: 54
Ball Winning: 57

GOALKEEPER STATS:
Catching: 40
Clearing: 40
Reflexes: 40
Coverage: 40

SPECIAL ABILITIES:

PLAYER INDEX CARDS:

MOTION STYLE:

He is technically brilliant, having great first-touch, and dribbling ability, as well as ability to play dangerous diagonal balls in-behind defenses.
I would have expected him to be a bit quicker than what he actually is, but still he is not slow at all. Physically, he is actually both taller and stronger than I thought that he was. He is not a "soft" player at all, and usually resists to challenges.
Defensively, he is relatively good for a young Attacking-Midfielder that he is. I have seen him tracking-back usually for the Cyprus National Team, and despite the fact that he is not a "clean" or effective tackler at all, his good work-rate of dropping deep makes-up for it.
On the other hand, Immaturity seems to be his biggest problem at the moment. Great ability, amazing potential, but at the moment he seems far from the world-class end product he could be in the future. For example, immature decision-making leads to him making unnecessary runs and skills with the ball, that lead to him losing the ball far too frequently.
Rex
Regular Poster

Postby Rex » 2017 Oct 08, 01:46

What a brilliant assist, not just a pass, but his body movement and technique, just brilliant. Not really familiar with your manager, altough i know who the guy is, specifically i am not familiar with the way he managed Cyprus through this qualifiers, i mean, through these couple of games, but i feel he was quite passionate, and i'll say what i think of him based on 1 game, which is not the complete image, but it's quite enough for some concludes.

I think Cyprus under him are trying to play football what mainstream media would call "a real football". Now, i hate myself for writing that, but you know, playing from the back, trying to control the game is what people like and mostly praise with "that's the real football". I tried to analyse Cyprus for most of the game, and they've shown a really solid patience in build up in some moments, playing from the back, but not rushing, trying to keep the possession, with lot of reasonable back and side passes. Ofcourse, the lack of quality, technical, tactical, or just a plane deconcentration were obvious in many situations. The way Laifis made a mistake was really cheap, and it's a price you have to pay if you want to play from the back with technically limited team.

Also, terrible defending of set pieces, extremely noticeable. Manolas had an early chance, then Tziolis scored, then Torosidis had the brilliant opportunity. Leaving the huge amount of space for counters too, way too early, Mantalos had a chance to finish the game in the first half, after that penalty appeal in Greece's box, he just had a situation to score or to pass,and he gave a bad pass for Fortounis. Also, pretty much as the second half started, Greeks (Greeks no1) should've scored like 2 or 3 goals. OFC, managers are not controling players with the remotes, can't blame them for everything, but these things are really connected to his kind of play.

At the and of they, quite lot of positives, some really bad negatives, but ok, Cyprus are in progress. If you somehow manage to find a replacement for Laban, that type of player, maybe find a better partner for Laifis (i am not familiar with how the Cypriot talents are doing, i don't even know their names) this could be good.

Ben Shimon really seems like an odd manager, not just from what i saw on the pitch, but especially what i've heard, because it was easy to hear him on the tv. All he was saying was "go, go" :lol: when Cyprus needed to press, claping around and shouting some basic stuff in english like c'mon, but he obviously has his attacking system, nothing new, nothing original ofcourse. Maybe if you let him do the whole qualifiers for 2020 Euros, with a bit of luck in draws, you can qualify, 24 nations is a lot, there's a chance for you.
Relja's not dead
petreleo

Re: Grigoris Kastanos, Juventus FC U23

Postby petreleo » 2019 Apr 13, 21:35

Thoughts on his debut as a starter Vs SPAL?
I think he played in a different position than what the official Juventus line-up said(a CM next to Bentancur in a 4-4-2), more of a Left-AMF, certainly higher-up the pitch than a CM.
In my opinion, that was not a great performance from him, but in fairness the whole Juventus team played quite badly, including the likes of more experienced players, Dybala etc, and Kastanos was no different. He wasn't very active in the game, not in terms of running and pressing, but in terms of actively asking for the ball and occupying positions where his teammates could pass him the ball at. That's a big difference in relation to his national-team matches. Today however, I think at times he looked like a player who had as his primary target to just try to make it at the end of his debut without making a big mistake.
If Juventus clinch the league-title in the next few match-days, then we might get a chance to watch him as a starter in 3 or 4 more matches on the bounce, and then we can draw better conclusions for him. But for a debut I expected more, as he's meant to be one of the seniors in Juve's B team in Serie C, and not as much of a rookie like their other youngsters who played Vs SPAL.
AdAc
Regular Poster

Postby AdAc » 2019 Apr 14, 12:19

petreleo wrote:Thoughts on his debut as a starter Vs SPAL?
I think he played in a different position than what the official Juventus line-up said(a CM next to Bentancur in a 4-4-2), more of a Left-AMF, certainly higher-up the pitch than a CM.

In fact it wasn't 4-4-2, even if yesterday the line-up was publicized with 4-4-2
It was 3-5-2
De Sciglio, Barzagli and the young Gozzi in a 3-line defense
Cancelo, Cuadrado, Bentancur, Kastanos and Spinazzola in a 5-line midfield
Dybala and Kean in the attack

Cuadrado played as a CMF (as he did before the injury) near to Bentancur and Kastanos made the same thing

For me Kastanos confirmed he is a mediocre football player
petreleo

Postby petreleo » 2019 Apr 14, 22:14

AdAc wrote:
petreleo wrote:Thoughts on his debut as a starter Vs SPAL?

In fact it wasn't 4-4-2, even if yesterday the line-up was publicized with 4-4-2
It was 3-5-2
De Sciglio, Barzagli and the young Gozzi in a 3-line defense
Cancelo, Cuadrado, Bentancur, Kastanos and Spinazzola in a 5-line midfield
Dybala and Kean in the attack

Cuadrado played as a CMF (as he did before the injury) near to Bentancur and Kastanos made the same thing

For me Kastanos confirmed he is a mediocre football player

Yeah I agree with your formation, but I just think that Kastanos played further forward than the other Central-Midfielders, like what I've said as a Left-Attacking/Mid.
For sure he didn't have a great game at all, and generally he is hardly somebody who Juve can rely on for serious competition in the squad, but that specific performance alone was below the standards he has showed he is capable of in the past, especially for the national-team. Mentally he looked off-topic during the match, wasn't asking for the ball or to initiate the play as he usually does.
As I've said, better conclusions can be made for him if he gets more playing-time until the end of the Season. Personally, I think that he is a good player, but unfortunately I cannot see him making it at Juve. He screams for a loan-move or permanent with buy-back option...
petreleo

Postby petreleo » 2019 Aug 23, 15:12

https://twitter.com/PescaraCalcio/statu ... 4130875395

Back to _ita Delfino Pescara 1936 on a season-long loan. He is No.#37.

Photo:

Return to “Delfino Pescara 1936”