Kalvin Phillips

Moderators: BigStu, anOKguy, Welbeck19, Phil, Brahms, Jez, Mod's

User avatar
PES Stats Database
PSD Backbone
Posts: 20797
Joined: 2008 Dec 09, 12:06
Been thanked: 582 times

Kalvin Phillips

Postby PES Stats Database » 2017 Jan 28, 17:22

Image

BigStu
PSD Guru
Posts: 8025
Joined: 2009 May 28, 16:43
Location: England
Has thanked: 210 times
Been thanked: 262 times

Re: Kalvin Phillips

Postby BigStu » 2019 May 17, 20:36

A really interesting player and key to the way bielsa wanted to play the past season, I’ll link a video later that explains his role, arguably the most improved player under him, this set will be tweaked as well edit: https://www.tifofootball.com/video/tact ... ds-united/
ks182
New Contributor
Posts: 12
Joined: 2015 Feb 15, 21:33
Location: Russia

Re: Kalvin Phillips

Postby ks182 » 2019 Dec 17, 02:18

fixed, realy nationality: England
BigStu
PSD Guru
Posts: 8025
Joined: 2009 May 28, 16:43
Location: England
Has thanked: 210 times
Been thanked: 262 times

Re: Kalvin Phillips

Postby BigStu » 2020 Feb 13, 00:20

If Leeds successfully do what they do best and he stays It will be as big a crime as Brighton and Fulham snubbing Norwood now looks that he won’t be in the prem next season
anOKguy
PSD Loyalty Program Member
Posts: 2436
Joined: 2014 Dec 14, 16:53
Has thanked: 1063 times
Been thanked: 975 times

Re: Kalvin Phillips

Postby anOKguy » 2020 Feb 14, 01:05

BigStu wrote:If Leeds successfully do what they do best and he stays It will be as big a crime as Brighton and Fulham snubbing Norwood now looks that he won’t be in the prem next season

He has to go up, that 60 minutes or so against Arsenal in the cup was top notch recently. Bamford will be the reason if they don't go up along with Kiko going back to being ridiculously error prone. He needs to be up next year, by far the best all around DM in the league
anOKguy
PSD Loyalty Program Member
Posts: 2436
Joined: 2014 Dec 14, 16:53
Has thanked: 1063 times
Been thanked: 975 times

Re: Kalvin Phillips

Postby anOKguy » 2020 May 07, 02:44

This guy really might, and should, get an England call. He offers a complete package but yet something a bit different than Declan Rice. Rice is really good at calming down the game and reading play, which Phillips is as well. But, Phillips has a bit more of that athleticism to really break up play and make things happen. He’s got to go to the EPL next year with or without Leeds. Guy is a top class footballer and top 3 player in the league for sure. I’ll try to get more into what he does in the Bielsa system at a later date for those who aren’t aware of it since he is the thing that makes the whole machine work.
BigStu
PSD Guru
Posts: 8025
Joined: 2009 May 28, 16:43
Location: England
Has thanked: 210 times
Been thanked: 262 times

Re: Kalvin Phillips

Postby BigStu » 2020 May 09, 10:30

Yep, watching him do get the impression he could be the best option at the base of the midfield three, lessening the reliance on henderson, and given Southgate the option of playing 2 more attacking CM's. However sounds like there won't be any international football till next spring, and its still looking slim we do finish the 19/20 prem and EFL season, and that the 21/22 doesn't happen at all.
BigStu
PSD Guru
Posts: 8025
Joined: 2009 May 28, 16:43
Location: England
Has thanked: 210 times
Been thanked: 262 times

Re: Kalvin Phillips

Postby BigStu » 2020 Sep 08, 22:26

Low key England debut though showed some nice composure and passing despite being played in an completely alien system in terms of shape and in terms of his midfield partner, and had the most defensive contributions.
anOKguy
PSD Loyalty Program Member
Posts: 2436
Joined: 2014 Dec 14, 16:53
Has thanked: 1063 times
Been thanked: 975 times

Re: Kalvin Phillips

Postby anOKguy » 2020 Sep 08, 22:42

Can't wait to see him in the EPL. This Leeds team could be really solid right away. Who partnered him with England? Just Rice? Looking at the lineup on paper seems a really odd choice of those two that would not bring the best out of either.
BigStu
PSD Guru
Posts: 8025
Joined: 2009 May 28, 16:43
Location: England
Has thanked: 210 times
Been thanked: 262 times

Re: Kalvin Phillips

Postby BigStu » 2020 Sep 08, 23:26

anOKguy wrote:Can't wait to see him in the EPL. This Leeds team could be really solid right away. Who partnered him with England? Just Rice? Looking at the lineup on paper seems a really odd choice of those two that would not bring the best out of either.

Was an odd tactical setup, still can’t get what southgate wanted, it wasn’t a double pivot though least it became one in the second half before mount came on for sancho to change the system
7Jonathan28
New Stat Maker
Posts: 226
Joined: 2019 Nov 27, 19:38
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 80 times

Re: Kalvin Phillips

Postby 7Jonathan28 » 2020 Sep 08, 23:31

BigStu wrote:
anOKguy wrote:Can't wait to see him in the EPL. This Leeds team could be really solid right away. Who partnered him with England? Just Rice? Looking at the lineup on paper seems a really odd choice of those two that would not bring the best out of either.

Was an odd tactical setup, still can’t get what southgate wanted, it wasn’t a double pivot though least it became one in the second half before mount came on for sancho to change the system


Southgate played with 3 CB's, 2 DM's and no attacking midfielder against Denmark last night. No shape, no tactical awareness, no system. Just vibes.
Live life for the moment, because everything else is uncertain.
anOKguy
PSD Loyalty Program Member
Posts: 2436
Joined: 2014 Dec 14, 16:53
Has thanked: 1063 times
Been thanked: 975 times

Re: Kalvin Phillips

Postby anOKguy » 2020 Sep 08, 23:54

7Jonathan28 wrote:
BigStu wrote:
anOKguy wrote:Can't wait to see him in the EPL. This Leeds team could be really solid right away. Who partnered him with England? Just Rice? Looking at the lineup on paper seems a really odd choice of those two that would not bring the best out of either.

Was an odd tactical setup, still can’t get what southgate wanted, it wasn’t a double pivot though least it became one in the second half before mount came on for sancho to change the system


Southgate played with 3 CB's, 2 DM's and no attacking midfielder against Denmark last night. No shape, no tactical awareness, no system. Just vibes.

That’s what it looks like on paper. Was wondering what the hell was going to connect the game through the middle unless he just bypassed entirely through the flanks or made Sancho drop deep until Grealish and Moutn came on. Weird. That’s a shame. Thanks! Sounds like I can skip this game lol.
User avatar
Vickingo
PSD Backbone
Posts: 15951
Joined: 2010 Jun 09, 02:18
Location: Argentina
Has thanked: 1616 times
Been thanked: 1271 times

Re: Kalvin Phillips

Postby Vickingo » 2020 Sep 12, 19:24

Today he shoted quite a good FK, very nice curling in there, was he right? Just a note to take into account.
User avatar
pcrooce
Seasoned Stat Maker
Posts: 634
Joined: 2012 Sep 17, 17:09
Location: Buenos Aires
Has thanked: 383 times
Been thanked: 312 times
Contact:

Re: Kalvin Phillips

Postby pcrooce » 2020 Sep 12, 19:25

Vickingo wrote:Today he shoted quite a good FK, very nice curling in there, was he right? Just a note to take into account.


yeah it was him, also, his assist for the first goal was outstanding.
BigStu
PSD Guru
Posts: 8025
Joined: 2009 May 28, 16:43
Location: England
Has thanked: 210 times
Been thanked: 262 times

Re: Kalvin Phillips

Postby BigStu » 2020 Sep 12, 19:27

Vickingo wrote:Today he shoted quite a good FK, very nice curling in there, was he right? Just a note to take into account.

Yep should have bumped him up, clearly decent set piece taker
anOKguy
PSD Loyalty Program Member
Posts: 2436
Joined: 2014 Dec 14, 16:53
Has thanked: 1063 times
Been thanked: 975 times

Re: Kalvin Phillips

Postby anOKguy » 2020 Sep 12, 19:59

Yeah definitely one to watch. He hadn’t taken many at all last year, but that was a very good start
Whoah10115
Seasoned Stat Maker
Posts: 649
Joined: 2018 Jul 11, 14:48
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 130 times

Re: Kalvin Phillips

Postby Whoah10115 » 2020 Sep 12, 22:56

He was damn good. Spacing, tackling, perfect job of making himself available and putting the team on the right direction.
anOKguy
PSD Loyalty Program Member
Posts: 2436
Joined: 2014 Dec 14, 16:53
Has thanked: 1063 times
Been thanked: 975 times

Re: Kalvin Phillips

Postby anOKguy » 2020 Sep 16, 16:22

Thanks to Amine, we got the heat maps from the Leeds players from last year that should help explain the Bielsa tactics a good bit. This one should really show just how critical Kalvin is to this system:
Image

Notes: he goes over left a little more since Ayling tends to tuck in (why I was telling y'all hold off on the aggression increase and I'll add his map in a moment on his thread) and then primarily Alioski for a lot of time and later Dallas are attacking a lot more from the LB position. Well anyways Kalvin just sits in this pocket right behind where the forwards are and ahead of where the midfield will often come and then dictates tempo. He is the key to them working.
User avatar
Vickingo
PSD Backbone
Posts: 15951
Joined: 2010 Jun 09, 02:18
Location: Argentina
Has thanked: 1616 times
Been thanked: 1271 times

Re: Kalvin Phillips

Postby Vickingo » 2020 Oct 03, 21:53

Very nice display in today's game again:
86.8% pass accuracy
68 touches
33/38 successful passes
9 ball recoveries (2nd-most)
6 tackles won (best)
3 interceptions (best)
2 successful take-ons
1 shot on-target

Return to “Leeds United FC”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest