_col Carlos VALDERRAMA
_srb Dejan SAVIĆEVIĆ

Attackers:

_fra Eric CANTONA
_lib George WEAH
_bul Hristo STOICHKOV

BEST XI

--------------------------------SCHMEICHEL---------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------DESAILLY-----------STAM---------------------------
------CAFU--------------------------------------------------MALDINI--------
----------------------------------KEANE---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------LAUDRUP----------ZIDANE-------------RIVALDO----
--------------------------RONALDO------ROMARIO-------------------------

Last edited by Anonymous on 2008 Dec 23, 19:33, edited 8 times in total.
ravlee

Re: 1990's All Stars

Postby ravlee » 2008 Dec 22, 05:03

added Maldini since he has to be in either the 90's All Star Team or the 00's All Star Team..

i think the 90's All Star team suits him better

but a little luxury problem here.. Maldini or Roberto Carlos as LB?!
Brezza
PSD Loyalty Program Member

Postby Brezza » 2008 Dec 22, 06:59

Gotta have Giggsy in there Imo, Id say he deserves a place slightly more than Davids who was brilliant as well,.. but i think the midfield is covered well enough defensively with Matthaus, Redondo and Guardiola.
Or Maybe you could even make a compromise and fit Matthaus in the 1980's and then bring Keane in or maybe another striker .

Maldini is arguably the greatest defender of all time with Baresi so he has to be in the starting XI, id actually stick him in the middle with Desailly.

Oh and id maybe swap Adams with Cafu seeing as Thuram could play centre-back as well.
Fides
PSD Loyalty Program Member

Postby Fides » 2008 Dec 22, 11:41

I actually think Redondo is a bit overrated as starter in this team.
ravlee

Postby ravlee » 2008 Dec 23, 19:32

Brezza wrote:Gotta have Giggsy in there Imo, Id say he deserves a place slightly more than Davids who was brilliant as well,.. but i think the midfield is covered well enough defensively with Matthaus, Redondo and Guardiola.
Or Maybe you could even make a compromise and fit Matthaus in the 1980's and then bring Keane in or maybe another striker .

Maldini is arguably the greatest defender of all time with Baresi so he has to be in the starting XI, id actually stick him in the middle with Desailly.

Oh and id maybe swap Adams with Cafu seeing as Thuram could play centre-back as well.

well i dunno maldini was more a CB in the 00's .. i think in the 90's he was more a LB :/ - so i put him as LB

changed Cafu with Adams - and added Giggs instead of the Pitbull
Paddy
PSD Guru

Postby Paddy » 2008 Dec 24, 15:17

Giggs Deserves it more than Beckham
as_10
PSD Elite

Postby as_10 » 2008 Dec 24, 15:49

Paddy wrote:Giggs Deserves it more than Beckham

Giggs's already there ;)
I want my son Brooklyn to be christianized, but I still don't know in which religion - David Beckham
Fevernova
Veteran Stat Maker

Postby Fevernova » 2010 Feb 09, 20:30

Weah in for Batistuta, definately. It´s not only the qualitie of the player, but also the impact he had in that decade´s football scene. Weah was the first African to ever win the Ballon D' or, aside from being a truly great player and very succesfull, both with Marseille and AC Milan, a must in the 90´s.

Also, Sammer won the Ballon D or in 1996, one of the first (or the first, can´t remember) defenders to ever win this trophy, should be seriously considered.

Last, but not least, Rivaldo, several years older than Ronaldo appears in the 2000´s All Star team, while Ronnie appears in the 90´s, it´s true he was at his prime, phisically, in the late 90s, yet his greatest achievments came in the 2000´s, really, I think they should be swapped, Rivaldo was a monster in the late 90s with Barça, and his Trophy in 1997 as World´s Best Player proves it.
It takes nothing to join the crowd, it takes everything to stand alone
Plava Čigra
Valued Contributor

Postby Plava Čigra » 2010 Feb 09, 20:45

This team will be expanded to 32 players during the next few days or so (I thought that looked like logical step, if you've seen threads for '50s, '60s and '70s All Stars :? ).

Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Weah, Batistuta and Sammer will be in this team.

In fact, feel free to write suggestions for Reserves (and if you think there's a need for more changes at 23 Men Squad).
Fevernova
Veteran Stat Maker

Postby Fevernova » 2010 Feb 09, 20:52

Plava Čigra wrote:This team will be expanded to 32 players during the next few days or so (I thought that looked like logical step, if you've seen threads for '50s, '60s and '70s All Stars :? ).

Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Weah, Batistuta and Sammer will be in this team.

In fact, feel free to write suggestions for Reserves (and if you think there's a need for more changes at 23 Men Squad).

Will it be 32-man squad+Reserves or 32-man between Squad+Reserves? ;)
Plava Čigra
Valued Contributor

Postby Plava Čigra » 2010 Feb 09, 21:19

Since we already made '50s, '60s and '70s All Stars with 23 Men Squad + 9 Reserves, I think we should do the same here. :)

P.S. You don't have to quote message above yours. ;)
Fevernova
Veteran Stat Maker

Postby Fevernova » 2010 Feb 09, 21:25

I do it in case someone posts before me, it´d look a little odd if it happened, right? Like I´m talking to myself, haha... :)

Anyway, I'll post my version of the team, soon. So we can reach an understanding. ;)
as_10
PSD Elite

Postby as_10 » 2010 Feb 09, 21:45

Bergkamp's peak was at the 00's.
I want my son Brooklyn to be christianized, but I still don't know in which religion - David Beckham
Fevernova
Veteran Stat Maker

Postby Fevernova » 2010 Feb 09, 22:22

as_10 wrote:Bergkamp's peak was at the 00's.

Could be considered, but remember as_10, he was in the Balon D´ or Top 3 two consecutive times (92-93), both with Ajax and Inter, so I think it doesn´t get much better than that for a player...

As I said, here´s my version:

23-man Squad

Keepers:
Peter SCHMEICHEL
Michel PREUD'HOMME

Defenders:
Jaap STAM
Fernando HIERRO
Lilian THURAM
Matthias SAMMER
CAFU
Paolo MALDINI
ROBERTO CARLOS

Midfielders:
Roy KEANE
Fernando REDONDO
Josep GUARDIOLA
Michael LAUDRUP
Zinedine ZIDANE
Gheorghe HAGI
David BECKHAM
Ryan GIGGS

Strikers:
RIVALDO
ROMARIO
Dennis BERGKAMP
Hristo STOICHKOV
Roberto BAGGIO
George WEAH

********RESERVES*********
Keepers:
Claudio TAFFAREL

Defenders:
Laurent BLANC
Marcel DESAILLY

Midfielders:
Carlos VALDERRAMA
Dejan SAVICEVIC
Estefan EFFENBERG

Strikers:
Gabriel BATISTUTA
Eric CANTONA
Jean-Pierre PAPIN/Jurgen KLINSMANN

Best XI:
----------------------SCHMEICHEL-------------------------
CAFU-----------HIERRO----------MALDINI---------R. CARLOS

------------------------KEANE-----------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------
-BECKHAM------------ZIDANE----------------LAUDRUP------

--------------------BAGGIO--------------------------------
--------------------------------ROMARIO------------------

That´s it, I know people insist in placing Ronaldo in the 90´s, and it´s each one choice, but I´d still go with him to the 2000´s, really, and he is my all time favourite.

Beckham is possibly one of the main reasons of the magnificient blossom of football worldwide in mid-late 90's, he helped the sport reach truly unthinkable level of fame and followers. As I said before, it's not only the players qualities that count, also his contribution to the sports scene during 1990-1999 strecht.
;)
Plava Čigra
Valued Contributor

Re: 1990s All Stars

Postby Plava Čigra » 2010 Feb 14, 05:04

I've updated 1990s All Stars to new format. I've also added formation made with formation tool. ;)

Changes...

1. Removed Matthaus from his team (he's in the 1980s All Stars).

2. I've put Desailly into Reserves and Hierro into 23 Men Squad (and Best XI).

3. I've put Weah into 23 Men Squad and moved Batistuta from 23 Men Squad into Reserves.

4. Moved Redondo into Reserves and inserted Rivaldo into 23 Men Squad.

5. Added the rest of the Reserves.

Now, here are a few notes considering previous posts by Fevernova and as_10.

@as_10

I agree with Fevernova about Bergkamp. Most of his peak was during 1990s. Maybe you consider his more recent seasons (2-3 seasons before retirement) when he still was world class with his technique, but everybody (who watched Bergkamp in 1990s) will tell you that he was even better during 1990s.

@Fevernova

I agree with most of your Reserves, but I still have a few observations about this team.

1. I wouldn't put Maldini as CB in '90s. In '90s he showed he's one of the greatest (if not the greatest) left side back (full back) ever. When he lost some of his speed he became great, world class CB (but in my opinion his greatest contribution to football, was his role as left full back in '90s).

2. I must disagree with taking Ronaldo out of the 1990s All Stars. He was literally a Superman in late '90s (until injuries started). In 2000s he was a great poacher, and he did won more trophies, but I was more impressed with him during his Barca and Inter days (again, until he started to get injured often). To conclude, when I put his games from 1990s and all the skill he showed back then on one side and his trophies and poaching ability during 2000s on the other, and if I have to choose, I would always pick '90s Ronaldo. He really was phenomenon in those days. ;)

3. I've added Peruzzi as third keeper. I thought about Ravelli also, but Peruzzi in his prime was better keeper (at least for me). Taffarel isn't a bad choice, but I somehow think that he isn't on Peruzzi's or Ravelli's level.

4. Added Lizarazu on the expense of not adding Klinsmann. Tough choice for me, but I wanted to keep both Sammer and Lizarazu. Sammer because of his intelligence and great defensive skills and Lizarazu due to the fact that, in his prime, he was one of the greatest left backs, ever (in my opinion).

I've tried to balance my formation. That's why Cafu has attacking arrow and Maldini doesn't. Also that's why Stam is on Cafu's side and Hierro is on Maldini's side. Hierro has medium defensive arrow, so he can go a bit higher then Stam and act as a link between defence and attacking midfielders (meanwhile Maldini and Keane will stay deeper to cover the space behind Hierro). Two players should attack through wings, Cafu and Giggs. Laudrup and Zidane should act as playmakers (obvious), and provide usable balls for Ronaldo and Romario (or try to play balls for Cafu who would go for crosses, or Giggs who could either go for crosses or try to use his speed and dribbling to score/assist).

Any thoughts about this update?
Classical
Seasoned Stat Maker

Postby Classical » 2010 Feb 15, 09:23

For me, Desailly was a better centerback than Stam or Hierro.

Power, heading game, tackle and stifness. Hierro didn't have these abilities, rather being a technical defender and a indomable leader and Stam has them all, but one step below I would say.
When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. Eric Cantona
Fevernova
Veteran Stat Maker

Postby Fevernova » 2010 Feb 15, 14:10

I agree with most of the changes, alltough I still think it won´t be as interesting without R. Carlos filling the left flank...

BTW, a very interesting, clearer, pic:

URL> http://onwardstate.com/wp-content/uploa ... 64d462.jpg
Classical
Seasoned Stat Maker

Postby Classical » 2010 Feb 15, 15:18

I was thinking also the actual pic is no big deal (I luv the 80s one, by the way...)

What about this one, after some editing?

When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. Eric Cantona
Plava Čigra
Valued Contributor

Postby Plava Čigra » 2010 Feb 16, 16:26

Hierro is in the 23 Men Squad because he was cultured defender. I went for Stam because thought it would be better to have one destroyer in the team. One can say that Desailly was better then Stam, but it's all a matter of individual opinion. I wouldn't have any objections to replace Stam with Desailly if enough people agree on that change.

Also, I think the last picture represents the essence of '90s. :mrgreen:
Fevernova
Veteran Stat Maker

Postby Fevernova » 2010 Feb 16, 16:49

Yeah, I agree with Desailly´s upgrade. ;)
Plava Čigra
Valued Contributor

Postby Plava Čigra » 2010 Feb 17, 07:29

Switched Stam with Desailly in 23 Men Squad. After some thinking (and watching of two Desailly's games), I remembered how good he actually was. While Stam was really tough defender with good game reading and positioning, Desailly had all those qualities but he also had very nice first touch (for a defender) and solid passing skills.

Return to “Other Era Teams”