Teamwork: 80

Condition/Fitness: 4
Weak Foot Accuracy: 6
Weak Foot Frequency: 3

outside
sliding
covering
passing

this is a very interesting player. just by chance, i saw some passes by him that were so good i wanted to follow up on him and see if he had an accurate set.

I think he's a great passer, my original impression about his ground passing was all around really really high because i was seeing his best passes, but after watching more i see that he has a bit of sloppiness in him, and not quite enough passes to prove the kind of level i think he might be worth.. by that i mean, he has the ability to play the kinds of passes that hint he has a world class ceiling in his ground passing. His long passing is good but nothing too remarkable, he has good weight, and gets the passes in the general area he wants them to. Sometimes he plays good long passes, but he's alot clumsier in his technique and alot less precise than when he's playing passes on the ground.

he has decent, slightly average dribbling and technique. these things hold him back because he's really really sluggish. He's got pretty good top speed, but takes a really long time to get there, and ambles around slower than anyone else on the field when he's trying to support his teammates in possession. he doesn't have any real strength for his size either, so he is at a disadvantage when it comes to receiving the ball because he is really quite unagile.

I get a bit conflicted about how to rate his teamwork in the same way i was with Yaya Toure last season, because Selnaes, just as Yaya did, does contribute good movement trying to support the play when his team is in possesion, but he takes so long to get where he wants that he's seldom as useful as he should be. This is what i saw from Yaya last season, Yaya was still moving all across the field like an orange teamwork player, but he took so long to get where he was trying to go that he was seldom even useful by the time he arrived to support the play. This is different than when you see someone like Jordan Henderson's support movement, where he's got some pace, and he has great stamina, but when you watch Henderson support play he cuts his movement short in most situations, and often switches off and only makes minimal attention to what angles he's giving to his teammates, and is much more of a start and stop kind of midfielder. Someone like Yaya last season was supporting constantly whenever he played, showing glimpses of his old style, but was just way too slow to be useful at all.

to a lesser extent in support movement, i see Selnaes as being quite similar to that Yaya. He does do good work, better than anyone else in his teams when he's trying to move around and give passing options, but he takes so long that he seldom is really that useful, and if the ball is turned over, he's then in big trouble because of how hard it is for him to get going.

maybe he should have less top speed to reflect this, but he sometimes does show some kind of pace when he's tracking back and anytime he needs to run long distance. I notice though that he is slowing down now compared to how he was two/three years ago.

regarding his awareness and attacking contribution, i personally think he's a clever forward passing player, but he doesn't have much to show for it in terms of keypasses or assists. still, i see him as much more of a carrick/alonso than a busquets. he's not aggressive, and almost never moves more than 5 yards past the half-line, but as the playmaker of the team, he doesn't just make sideways passes, he does have vertical awareness and can play some useful passes to kick a play into motion.

i like his tackling but i don't think he's solid enough to be rated into the seventies like he is right now. he's a distributor, and relied on for his passing and support play rather than for his defensive presence, it's just a plus that he's an alright tackler. he also gets turned and feinted too easily, which coupled with his horrible agility, makes him a pretty unremarkable defensive obstacle. This current rating is too high in my view.

an interesting but mostly irrelevant thing about him is that he has truly horrible shot placement. Selnaes the kind of shooter that goes 5 yards wide of the post consistently and really has no idea where he's trying to shoot. he's got tremendous weight and power in his shots, and connects quite decently on volleys and 1-times shots- he won't really shank anything, but just can't aim his shots almost at all.

And despite being quite tall, he's rather terrible as an aerial presence. You don't even see Selnaes joining attacking corner kicks, or defending runs on set pieces, he's just not useful despite his height- not a great jumper, and not a great header on him either.

the main thing about selnaes is his ground passing, and i think he has a great potential there. he has alot of weight in his grounded passes, and can pick some really exceptional through balls. this talent is something to keep an eye on. if you watch any of his old rosenborg or st etienne highlights videos you can see some of these passes. He made a really amazing pass with the Norweigen national team a week or two ago, and i found a nice little pass in a match highlight video from this season below that isn't in any highlight videos.

spa:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXcJ5YOPNXg&t=0m32s

he's only a decent player overall, but i don't think he'll really be anything noteworthy in his career, he has too many flaws to be useful at the highest level, or even at a medium-high level like with teams such as.. betis/bilbao, everton/bournemouth etc. But he does have some special passing ability that makes him something of a hidden gem, the kind of player you never expect to be playing passes better than some of the best passers in the world, but has the weaknesses to explain why he stays at that mid-lower tier level.
If you don't put effort into your post, i won't put effort in my response.
Ocrin
Valued Contributor

Re: Ole Selnæs

Postby Ocrin » 2018 Oct 27, 02:11

I wanted to review this set for quite some time now, just didn't find the time for it.

His athletic/physical ability, barring his STA (which I think could be a tiny bit higher), is indeed dreadful. I think his TS is slightly higher than what it currently is, though.

The current ATT/DEF rating was based on St-Etienne games. I did notice some weight and pace in his passing (especially long passing actually), but he was just to timid in the way he used his passing IMO. That's why his passing is at greens and his ATT not even 70, he was just extremely plain with it, picking mostly easy passes, very few vertical passes.
As good as his passing ceiling might be, I don't think he's worth of oranges in neither SPA and SPS, he doesn't have that consistency IMO and that one value really looks out of place to me. Consistency-wise, his passing speeds stands out more than his accuracy IMO, so he should probably be indeed rated high in SPS/LPS.

I think his defending ability is really correct, the main issue is his dreadful turning which is highlighted in your set. He's a very okay ball winner when he gets his positioning right, with decent response, however he consistently struggles with pacy dribbling and passing and it's indeed really easy to cut him off of the game with a bit of pace. Lower agi is indeed a must. I do think his ACC should be in the high 60s too, slightly lower.

The one thing that stands out the most about him from what I recall is how much space he need to properly play. He isn't able to handle pressure and cleanly evade pressing through technique, strength or speed, he doesn't have any of these. His technique is actually clean, I don't remember eye-catching bad touches or stuff like that from him, it's mostly his agility and strength that let him down when he's trapping a ball under pressure. He just can secure a ball with enough speed to make a difference through first touches, but otherwise, he's clean.
I also think he's slower on the ball than 74 DS, he doesn't carry the ball much and won't use his DS for much more than gaining some space for a pass or shot.

He has a bit of a Ganso syndrome, he's really lacking physically and that will consistently hinder his game if he doesn't get that right.
Everyone knew it was impossible. Then came along a fool who didn't know it, and he did it.
vinnie
PSD Loyalty Program Member

Re: Ole Selnæs

Postby vinnie » 2018 Oct 27, 02:47

Ocrin wrote:I wanted to review this set for quite some time now, just didn't find the time for it.

His athletic/physical ability, barring his STA (which I think could be a tiny bit higher), is indeed dreadful. I think his TS is slightly higher than what it currently is, though.

The current ATT/DEF rating was based on St-Etienne games. I did notice some weight and pace in his passing (especially long passing actually), but he was just to timid in the way he used his passing IMO. That's why his passing is at greens and his ATT not even 70, he was just extremely plain with it, picking mostly easy passes, very few vertical passes.
As good as his passing ceiling might be, I don't think he's worth of oranges in neither SPA and SPS, he doesn't have that consistency IMO and that one value really looks out of place to me. Consistency-wise, his passing speeds stands out more than his accuracy IMO, so he should probably be indeed rated high in SPS/LPS.

I think his defending ability is really correct, the main issue is his dreadful turning which is highlighted in your set. He's a very okay ball winner when he gets his positioning right, with decent response, however he consistently struggles with pacy dribbling and passing and it's indeed really easy to cut him off of the game with a bit of pace. Lower agi is indeed a must. I do think his ACC should be in the high 60s too, slightly lower.

The one thing that stands out the most about him from what I recall is how much space he need to properly play. He isn't able to handle pressure and cleanly evade pressing through technique, strength or speed, he doesn't have any of these. His technique is actually clean, I don't remember eye-catching bad touches or stuff like that from him, it's mostly his agility and strength that let him down when he's trapping a ball under pressure. He just can secure a ball with enough speed to make a difference through first touches, but otherwise, he's clean.
I also think he's slower on the ball than 74 DS, he doesn't carry the ball much and won't use his DS for much more than gaining some space for a pass or shot.

He has a bit of a Ganso syndrome, he's really lacking physically and that will consistently hinder his game if he doesn't get that right.

i am in the same range for alot of your disagreements. i did see some really decent top speed at some occaisons, but he uses it so little, i eventually lowered the TS i think he deserves from high greens down to this 75. i also considered acceleration as low as 68, but i think his main thing is agility, he can accelerate at a passable rate once in a while, if he needs to catch his balance though he can take way longer, and i see this as mainly agility based trouble.

maybe 90 spa is too much, 94 sps as well, it's on the optimistic side. i can see both lower, but i think he has some pretty outstanding capability in both these areas.

regarding DS, you may be right. i saw some ok runs with he ball though, and again i think his main problems are with getting going, once he's at speed his DS is decent imo.

if you think the current ATT/DEF are fair as they are, then i won't argue it further. i don't see those values at the moment, but the stats support lower attack considering his lack of key passes. the stats do support lower spa than 90 as well, but i just think his best short passes are too good to be indicative of anything other than elite potential.
If you don't put effort into your post, i won't put effort in my response.

Return to “AS Saint-Étienne”