Fabio Cannavaro | 1998-2002 | 2004-2006 | 2006-2009

Moderators: Korinov, Adrien, Albo7, jurgens, Brezza

PES Stats Database

Fabio Cannavaro | 1998-2002 | 2004-2006 | 2006-2009

Postby PES Stats Database » 2008 Dec 12, 16:44

Club: AC Parma

Club: Juventus FC

Club: Real Madrid CF

Last edited by Uzair on 2011 Jan 24, 14:12, edited 5 times in total.
yourigo

Re: Fabio CANNAVARO | 2004-2006

Postby yourigo » 2009 Oct 02, 16:00

this sugestion might seem a bit odd for some people but please consider it carefully before rejecting it ;) ...

so, i'll put it straight out: i think cannavaro deserves better defence value than maldini, they both stand at 95 as it is and i think cannavaro can get 96 or even 97. my reasoning is that cannavaro is just plain better on 1-1 situations, more confident. maldini is great of course but he had (weird to talk about him in the past tense) a tendency to go for the tackle more often while cannavaro would just be "the wall" on the path of his opponent's, so as i see it, maldini was better in the tackle (hence the 98 response value), but cannavaro had better positioning, he placed himself just perfect, he's been nicknamed "wonderwall" for a reason. of course i think maldini was better in almost everything, but not in this particular stat.

btw, if there's another way to make him a better "wall" that i don't know of, i can go with that, but i really think it comes down to defence
"You do ill if you praise, and still worse if you reprove in a matter you do not understand." - Da Vinci
Vandeach

Postby Vandeach » 2009 Oct 23, 20:00

Standardise his shooting, and defence and response should be switched around, I'd also lower agility by two. But otherwise, I think these stats are really very good otherwise though.
"If you are first you are first. If you are second, you are nothing" - Bill Shankly.
"I guarantee fourth place" - Rafael Benitez.
Oriello

Postby Oriello » 2009 Oct 24, 15:22

Agree with the above suggestions of Defence being higher than response, hell I thought he was rated at 98 on here :? - guess I saw fit to make that change to my OF :lol:, anyways the wall analogy is pretty accurate his strength of style was being in the way of a play from occuring rather than reading and destroying plays outright -he had an excellence in 1-1's that I think can be highlighted more with a higher Defence. I would not be opposed to his Response even dropping to a 94.
Uzair

Postby Uzair » 2009 Oct 24, 15:54

that look better? or do you want response to come down to 94?
Brezza

Postby Brezza » 2009 Oct 24, 16:12

I pretty much agree with Oriello and yourigo's assessment. Good update.

By the way here is Del Perio's version from around the same era in case people want a second opinion. Taken from his immense Rio Ferdinand/ Cannavaro Comparison, pretty interesting read.

Club: Juventus
Number: 28
Position: CB
Nationality: Italian
Era: 2005-06

Foot: R
Side: B

Length: 176
Weight: 75

Attack: 60
Defence: 97
Balance: 84
Stamina: 85
Top Speed: 78
Acceleration: 80
Response: 93
Agility: 81
Dribble Accuracy: 70
Dribble Speed: 74
Short Pass Accuracy: 74
Short Pass Speed: 77
Long Pass Acc: 74
Long Pass Speed: 78
Shot Accuracy: 58
Shot Power: 83
Shot Technique: 60
Free Kick Accuracy: 67
Curling: 64
Header: 91
Jump: 96
Technique: 76
Aggression: 58
Mentality: 94
Keeper Skills: 50
Team Work: 85
Injury Tolerance: A
Condition/Fitness: 8
Weak Foot Accuracy: 6
Weak Foot frequency: 7
Consistency: 8

Marking
Sliding
Covering
D-Line Control

Fabio Cannavaro is the most complete central defender in the world. If you give him even decently defending midfield, he'll be all right. If you give him a midfield like Italy had in the summer's World Cup, he'll mop up everything what's left from Gattuso's and Perrotta's and he'll take things under control without blinking an eye. There's no particular weakness in Cannavaro's game! The only mentionable thing is his below-average height (for a centre back), which sometimes causes him to lose some tackles because he can't reach them. This is because his reach is from physical point of view only average and impossible for him to correct. Oh boy, does he cover his only mentionable 'weakness' well! He excells in positioning, timing of tackles, he wins headers despite the modest height (and he wins them against anyone), he leads, he passes, he covers mistakes from others, and he even chips in with goal or two - and above everything he is a Winner with capital W.

There isn't a player in the world, who could possibly give more to his team during the season and always play with so high mentality and consitency. You can cherry pick one or two mistakes from him during his seasons at Juve, but even they were often mistakes by others which he just couldn't repair. One thing we should give him credit is the way he changed from his well below the average-Cannavaro perfomances at Inter into amazing performances at Juventus! He was start/stop, with some good, some excellent and some horrific games at the nerazzurri. There's plenty of reasons for this, but people who saw him at Inter can confirm that he's been a different player since he signed for Juve, or should i say, his old self.

Cannavaro has been the captain of Italian national team since the legendary Paolo Maldini decided to retire his international career. Cannavaro has done something that Maldini never did and led the Azzurri to be the World Champions. During this World Cup Cannavaro has emerged as a surprise for some football fans, which i personally find quite amusing to be honest. There's nothing surprising with his performances, more surprising was to see his "shaky" CB partner from Juventus, Lilian Thuram, playing a majestic world cup for France. Fabio Cannavaro is definitely the best CB in the world at the moment!\

3.1 Stats, the default:

Looking at these players in the default database reminds me of Konami's general way to look at players: it's a very casual way. In this case, the technically more gifted defender has actually gotten the better of the other in most critical of CB values in the game! You look at defence Ferdinand wins, you look at balance Ferdinand wins, response Ferdinand wins, heading Ferdinand wins, mentality Ferdinand wins (wtf ?!?!), consistency Ferdinand wins (again wtf ?!?!). There's only one value (Balance is also correct) where Konami has done the right thing and rated Cannavaro higher, but it says casual all over the place. If there's one thing everyone knows about Cannavaro, it's the sick jumping ability he has. This looks like they don't know how good Cannavaro is - or should I say, how complete he is. Don't they compare players stats they've given to other players when they release the game??

3.1.1 Special abilities, the defaults:

Ferdinand
:: Outside
:: Marking
:: Covering
:: D-Line control

Cannavaro

So basically they had very similar special abilities, but does Ferdinand really need 'outside'? Does he really earn 'D-Line control'? Why Cannavaro doesn't have 'Sliding tackle'? As you can see, there's couple question marks over their set of special abilities, which are taken care of later...

3.2 Stats, the updated:

What I have been trying to get sorted is to make the players balanced in their abilities, rather than trying desperately to get Cannavaro's abilities above Ferdinand's. As stated above, both are excellent defenders so it's no easy job make their strengths and weaknesses into right frame. The temptation to make them little overrated is always there when you update really high quality/class players. Usually you have a player who has couple stats in 80s (sometimes 90s) and most from 70s/lower and it's easy to make the correct balance between the pros and the cons of their abilities, but when you are dealing with players who have so high stats in many areas it's definitely more difficult.

There's plenty of little tweaks here and there, some MORE important like getting the awful default defence values correctly. Both are quality players with the ball in the view that they are CB's. There's plenty (too much) defenders who have awful touch on the ball. First touch has raised it's importance in recent years and in the context how football is developing quicker and quicker. Technique is just like speed and anticipation, which have become indispensable qualities for every highly rated defender. As you can see they both have quality passing/long passing/technique and agility values - which is not something every CB has. Both are blessed with great response and athletism.

Funny how Konami rated Ferdinand as better shooter/header of the ball, when in reality Cannavaro is definitely better in these areas. Mentality is something I personally find the biggest difference between them. Like I mentioned above, you'll have hard time finding clearly more committed defender than him. Ferdinand is very much average (for a CB) in this area. Both have had their consistency tweaked into more appropriate value and Cannavaro's weak foot stats have been raised (something we talked about few weeks ago), altough they could be even higher.

3.2.1 Special abilities, the updated:

Ferdinand

Cannavaro
:: Sliding tackle

Both have very important abilities in Marking and Covering. D-Line control is bit misleading as Ferdinand can lead the line well, but in PES that ability means how well the CB can command his line to come up and play opposition striker into offside. This is something what I think he will learn better at an older age, but he isn't so good at that at the moment. Cannavaro got his Sliding tackle inserted into his set, which is something he doesn't do all the time, but when he does make sliding tackle it's accurate and successful. Shame that there isn't special ability to make little fouls when the ref isn't watching - Cannavaro is best at that too.

5.Conclusion:

The overall package after the update is very good and both players do act closer to their real life counterparts than before. Cannavaro will be a real nightmare to get past due to his hugely raised mentality and defence too.

Ferdinand will be much more prone to making mistakes time and again, but still high quality defender with his special strengths for a CB.

I hope everyone enjoys this as much as i do!!

Thanks for his helping contribution of this comparison PLF
Oriello

Postby Oriello » 2009 Oct 24, 16:14

A drop in response would better fit in laddering with what I had in mind Thuram would have been rated at this time (93ish), Cannavaro I think had only a slight edge over Lilian in this regard. Though the cleaness of Thurams challenges alone might warrent something more than a 93 :? .. Well anyways that is just my evaluation - I am sure others will view it differently, better just wait for a democratic consensus. :D

EDIT

opps Brezza posted a set while I was typing

Analyzing......

EDIT#2
I like the explanation of how his physique could hinder his ability to make succesfull challenges, something that came to my mind when thinking about Thuram - how Cannavaro seemed to be the more 'brutal' than him when going to ground, I guess it indeed was more a case of him having those shorter legs that cannot disposes a ball squid-tentacle style like a 189 cm Vieira could.

I noticed the speed stats down siginificantly from the first ppost 5 points in Top Speed and 6 in Acceleration..hmm.. I am not sure - it was not often Juves line got breached and that one could witness Fabio's pace, an opposing situation at current Barca where Puyol has much more oppurtunities to showcase a bit of speed when Barca get by passed high up the park...It does come to mind that Cannavaro did sometimes struggle to keep up with real pacey players - step for step that is and often managed those last ditch - but succesful tackles in place of out racing them and easing them off the ball...I think the acceleration value is relatively correct combined with agilty server for quick and immediate physical reactions to developing situatons - but the top speed being slightly lower is a possibilty, not sure if 1 or 2 points but defineatly no 5 - that would make him rated as fast as he is currently, I definately think he had more pace those years ago.

A heck I am not sure if those need to be changed :lol: need some time to digest it.
p1rha

Postby p1rha » 2009 Oct 31, 04:58

:lol: totally owned! Yet nobody's perfect, still think he is the best i ever saw on 1-1 situations.

I disagree with him being rated at 83 in terms of top speed though, he is not at Puyol's level in sprint. Personally i rate WC Cannavaro at TS 80 / ACC 85. The way i see it, the secret of his ability to disposess players comes from the sort of agility that is not that normal type of agility, yet his movements are so fast.
And even when he does some not so legal chalanges the refs seem to somehow excuse him, maybe uncounsciously rewarding him for being some kind of David that beats Goliath or whatever... but Ballon d'Or :?
Uzair

Postby Uzair » 2009 Oct 31, 14:19

i originally had his speed stats lower but they were raised on opinion of others on the old site. so i wouldn't be opposed to a decrease in TS if necessary. i very much trust the opinions of p1rha, Oriello and the like so 2-3 points would be enough? just say when if we're all agreeing on this ;)
Brezza

Postby Brezza » 2009 Nov 06, 12:51

@Oriello I noticed the speed difference. i beleive that Del had slightly lower speed standards at times but then again I can't remember him being super pacy and the world cup.

At Juve though Id say that there was a bigger gap between top speed and acc and I don't think he's was on par with Puyol here, so i agree with a slight decrease that Uzair agrees with. I think the most important change was have defence>response which has been taken care off :)
hsnandra

Postby hsnandra » 2010 May 03, 20:25

Player Cards -

S07 – Man Marking
S08 – Slide Tackle
S09 – Covering
S10 – DF Leader
Last edited by hsnandra on 2010 May 05, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
sencesor

Postby sencesor » 2010 May 04, 14:51

P02 – Deep Cover is for SB's.
"Buy the ticket - take the ride" - Dr. Raoul Duke - Pure Gonzo journalism.
zguc

Postby zguc » 2010 May 04, 14:59

I think he is lillte overrated in few stats. First DEF 97 is too much for him, I think Bergomi better defender than him and he has 95 DEF, BB and RES are also overrated, for his height 87 is too much and RES 94 is not for him, because there is no constant as defender, with a lot of blunder and failure.
El orgullo y desafío.
Jez

Postby Jez » 2010 May 04, 17:25

zguc wrote:I think he is lillte overrated in few stats. First DEF 97 is too much for him, I think Bergomi better defender than him and he has 95 DEF, BB and RES are also overrated, for his height 87 is too much and RES 94 is not for him, because there is no constant as defender, with a lot of blunder and failure.

In fairness, he was amazing in those seasons. And what do you mean by 87 being to high due to his height? He won't be overly strong with an 87 and that's exactly to do with his height and weight being so low.
"DEBT IS THE ROAD TO RUIN" David Gill August 2004

My blog is back, check it out! www.mybeautifulgame1.wordpress.com
jurgens

Postby jurgens » 2011 Jul 28, 18:59

I'd say his BB is well over done. Seen most of his time in madrid, and he simply wasn't anywhere near this level in strenght.
xeneize

Postby xeneize » 2011 Jul 28, 20:05

we can put images in the topics?
THANKS FOR EVERYTHING, THERE WILL BE NOT ANOTHER LIKE YOU
Brezza

Postby Brezza » 2012 Jan 02, 19:46

Dropped def, speed and balance. I beleive jurgens has Cannavaro on a 95 def according is Ladder but Yourigo made a pretty good post with centreback era Maldini making me agree that he should be a point ahead of him, slightly better in 1-1 situations, not going into the tackle so early etc. I'm also going to raise prime Nesta's def in a bit.

Dropped bal based on del perio's rating. Same with speed with Oriello's and P1rha's analysis of it.
jurgens

Postby jurgens » 2012 Jan 16, 06:38

Anyone have a problem with lower wfa/wff? I see no reason for him to have these.
Kerry

Postby Kerry » 2012 Feb 14, 17:48

Man Marking card?
mracho wrote: Well, then he/she was an idiom with a T at the end.

Farés L'arrogante Image
midivial

Postby midivial » 2012 Mar 14, 05:31

cannavaro`s positioning is flawless and its quite impossible to go past him on 1 vs 1 - defending ability is a solid 97

his mentality is definitley 90+ i would go for 92 which is less than baresi and puyol

i would reduce his response though to 93 or so

Return to “00's”