Edgar Davids | 1994-1996 | 1997-2003

Postby PES Stats Database » 2008 Dec 14, 01:43

Nickname: "The Pitbull"

Club: AFC Ajax

Growth type: Standard/Lasting

Club: Juventus

INFO:

Spoiler: show
The Pitbull Image. My favorite all-time player. Such a character and mentality, tireless, never giving up, always fighting to the end. Besides that a player skilled technically and great in art of defensive playing. Also able to create very good attacking opportunity. I think that "I'd rather die than give up" could be his motto Image.
Edgar Davids was the great powerful dinamo midfielder, was noted for his tireless running, uncompromising tackling and excellent agility. He was rated as one of the best defensive midfielders of the world during lately 1990s. Davids also liked to support attacking game with his technical abilities honed from being a former freestyle football and his great acceleration. He had glaucoma, which requires him to wear protective goggles during football matches, his dreadlocked hair and his protective eye wear make Davids one of the most recognizable footballers of his generation. Davids moved to Italy in 1996 to play for AC Milan. He did not see much playing time at Milan due to injuries and moved on to league rival Juventus. Juventus manager Marcello Lippi once described him as "my one-man engine room." Davids also came the 1998 FIFA World Cup fourth place with Holland.

VIDEOS:

ADDITIONAL LINKS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Davids

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Davids

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/stati ... index.html

Fides
PSD Loyalty Program Member

Re: Edgar DAVIDS | 1997/1999

Postby Fides » 2008 Dec 14, 01:45

DEF could come down some points. He was a great defender because of his sharpness and mentality, but not because his high 'DEF' I think.
Sekularac
Seasoned Stat Maker

Postby Sekularac » 2009 Mar 07, 12:48

Did you know about ''THE BELL OF SHAME'' story.In this era (95-01), Juventus was famous of extemely exhausting conditional trainings.It was so extreme, that nobody could stand it till the end.So whoever quit, the rule was to announce it using that BELL OF SHAME.The only, but the only one who was never ringing this bell was Edgar Davids. Due to this, and his unique physical endurance ability I would suggest :

stamina 99

which is one point more than classical Nedved and Tardelli.I think Davids was the best one in this segment.
-VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT-
bitz

Postby bitz » 2009 Mar 07, 14:28

He was once banned by FIFA because steroids where found in his blood. I hope this has nothing to do with his extreme stamina levels! :?
Visit my alt thread: http://pesstatsdatabase.com/viewtopic.php?f=1011&t=25348
BECKS23LA

Postby BECKS23LA » 2009 Mar 07, 14:56

My favorite all-time player TOO!
Alcohomicide

Postby Alcohomicide » 2009 Mar 07, 17:24

I agree with 99, he's like Cafu in how he can run forever. He's always been one of my favourites. He's a bit too goal-scoring in my game. Maybe aggression and attack could go down a touch?
"When we were winning leagues and European Cups at Real I always said Makelele was our most important player. There is no way myself Figo or Raúl would have been able to do what we did without Claude and the same goes for Liverpool and Gerrard."
Looke
New Stat Maker

Postby Looke » 2009 May 08, 16:12

Hey, Lukassch here with new nickname ;)

So you suggest lowering his Attack, Defence, Aggression and upping his Stamina.

What would you say for such numbers?

Attack: 72
Defence: 74 / 75 maybe?

Aggression - to be honest I think that 80 is a good value for Davids. He took part in offensive actions quite often.

Stamina: 99 - I see no problem with that ;)

What is your opinion?
"Because in a split second, it's gone" - Ayrton Senna
Sekularac
Seasoned Stat Maker

Postby Sekularac » 2009 May 21, 22:26

Agree with ATT-72, DEF I don't agree, AGG mid 70's, and STA 99.
-VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT-
BECKS23LA

Postby BECKS23LA » 2009 May 22, 15:44

Agree with
ATT 72-73
DEF 75
AGG 80
STA 99
sencesor
Valued Contributor

Postby sencesor » 2009 May 23, 13:05

Agree with:

AGG 80

STA 99

Think that ATT 75 & DEF 79 are good values, no change needed there imo.
"Buy the ticket - take the ride" - Dr. Raoul Duke - Pure Gonzo journalism.
p1rha
Veteran Stat Maker

Postby p1rha » 2009 Jul 11, 21:06

Dribble Accuracy: 87>83: how's Davids dribble acurate? 6 points more acurate than Lampard (81)? he based all his dribbling abilities on quick bursts and extreme agility, because his control was pretty average. Even with all his atempts on dribble if it wasn't for nike comercials he would be rated lower than this.

Short/Long Pass Accuracy: 82>78 - his passing was quite inacurate and inconsistent, he prefered to dribble arround than try a dificult pass. and his crosses didn't had any specific destination. He wasn't imo a better passer than Sissoko, Muntari or Felipe Melo (all =< 78)

Technique: 87>85 - watching to much comercials no? His ball control was nothing special really, just because he could pull a few tricks doesn't mean he had a good technique. i think 85 is pretty generous already, 1 point ahead of gerrard, 3 above gago, 4 above denilson, same level as classic vieira, wich, imo had a better 1st touch.

Mentality: 97>82 - why? u want him to be a chasing pitbull u can have that with those stars and 99 stamina.

Centre * - again why? when he went foward he often choosed to run into the flanks, were he could take advantage of his speed and his quick bursts.

There are other stats like BB that imo are overated, but i'll leave that for another time.

I would still like to leave a coment on the defense stat. Defense represents positioning, but also, and imo above all, the quality of the tackle. Positioning is largely determined by response and the *covering star.
Having said this, i think all Davids fans have to admit his tackling was far from accurate, and even his positioning was never perfect. So u have a DMF with high response, all DMF stars, incredibly strong, agile, fast and he can leap like a grasshoper, plus a decent defense value, his a 50 cm thick concrete wall.
Uzair
Seasoned Stat Maker

Postby Uzair » 2009 Jul 11, 21:24

p1rha wrote:Dribble Accuracy: 87>83: how's Davids dribble acurate? 6 points more acurate than Lampard (81)? he based all his dribbling abilities on quick bursts and extreme agility, because his control was pretty average. Even with all his atempts on dribble if it wasn't for nike comercials he would be rated lower than this.

Short/Long Pass Accuracy: 82>78 - his passing was quite inacurate and inconsistent, he prefered to dribble arround than try a dificult pass. and his crosses didn't had any specific destination. He wasn't imo a better passer than Sissoko, Muntari or Felipe Melo (all =< 78)

Technique: 87>85 - watching to much comercials no? His ball control was nothing special really, just because he could pull a few tricks doesn't mean he had a good technique. i think 85 is pretty generous already, 1 point ahead of gerrard, 3 above gago, 4 above denilson, same level as classic vieira, wich, imo had a better 1st touch.

Mentality: 97>82 - why? u want him to be a chasing pitbull u can have that with those stars and 99 stamina.

Centre * - again why? when he went foward he often choosed to run into the flanks, were he could take advantage of his speed and his quick bursts.

There are other stats like BB that imo are overated, but i'll leave that for another time.

I would still like to leave a coment on the defense stat. Defense represents positioning, but also, and imo above all, the quality of the tackle. Positioning is largely determined by response and the *covering star.
Having said this, i think all Davids fans have to admit his tackling was far from accurate, and even his positioning was never perfect. So u have a DMF with high response, all DMF stars, incredibly strong, agile, fast and he can leap like a grasshoper, plus a decent defense value, his a 50 cm thick concrete wall.

i am leaning towards agreeing with you on all your sugesstions except mentality, which quite frankly, baffles me. you say "u want him to be a chasing pitbull u can have that with those stars and 99 stamina." but isn't mentality what determines whether he will actually bother chasing down opponents. he may be unbelievably fit and have the marking star but that won't mean he'll act like a 'pitbull' and chase players down like he did. he needs a high mentality figure for that surely.
pedala robinho
Veteran Stat Maker

Postby pedala robinho » 2009 Jul 11, 22:18

I see on Anderson a player with similar qualities of Davids. Both small and really strong, with great explosion and speed. But Davids sure don't deserves such a high value on DA, neither TEC. I agree with p1rha in this points, so, for me, DA: 83 or even 84 would be enough. Plus, I see his Technique at 84~85. About Body Balance, I think the lowest value that we can give to Davids is 85, even more if we consider that Anderson is taller and has 84. About Mentality, I'm unsure if he was as crazy as Gattuso is, but I think he deserves at least orange numbers.
p1rha
Veteran Stat Maker

Postby p1rha » 2009 Jul 11, 22:52

About mentality, well do as u will, but i'm shure he doesn't need it to be an agressive (in a good way) defender.
I admit 82 was too little, but that was more of a statment against the equally obscene value of 97. :)
About BB, he was strong for his size, but he spent to much time in the ground. I mean he was a very phisical player, a fighter but his fast style and his small size made him fall to often to deserve such high BB imo.
Brezza

Postby Brezza » 2009 Jul 11, 23:32

Gave him an update based on the suggestions in this thread. Alcho is right he was too attacking, I once scored a hattrick of diving headers with him in one match I believe :lol: and people are right about lowering defence he was mostly about great mentality and quick reactions than pure defensive positioning he shouldn't be rated the same as Cambiasso.
p1rha
Veteran Stat Maker

Postby p1rha » 2009 Jul 12, 00:15

pedala robinho wrote:I see on Anderson a player with similar qualities of Davids. Both small and really strong, with great explosion and speed. But Davids sure don't deserves such a high value on DA, neither TEC. I agree with p1rha in this points, so, for me, DA: 83 or even 84 would be enough. Plus, I see his Technique at 84~85. About Body Balance, I think the lowest value that we can give to Davids is 85, even more if we consider that Anderson is taller and has 84. About Mentality, I'm unsure if he was as crazy as Gattuso is, but I think he deserves at least orange numbers.

Anderson? Brazilian Anderson? Anderson has a lot more technique and his dribble is miles away from Davids, but he sucks at defending, even for an AMF.
And it's harder to throw Anderson to the carpet than Davids, the problem is that Davids is up again before u can blink.

Uzair wrote:i am leaning towards agreeing with you on all your sugesstions except mentality, which quite frankly, baffles me. you say "u want him to be a chasing pitbull u can have that with those stars and 99 stamina." but isn't mentality what determines whether he will actually bother chasing down opponents. he may be unbelievably fit and have the marking star but that won't mean he'll act like a 'pitbull' and chase players down like he did. he needs a high mentality figure for that surely.

No, no, no... red stamina and a nice response is enough for that. 97 mentality is for legendary team captains, the player with high mentality will attack much more agressivly and try to drive and inspire the team when ur loosing 2-0, just like a true captain does. The player who always believes and never gives up, even if his on his last breath. And Davids will never reach 50% stamina (i think, at least he never did with me, he's always fresh), so that part of mentality won't be a variable in this equation. Besides, i don't think Davids was ever team captain.

I've seen many players like this arround here. And i admit there are some cases were players deserve both high mentality and stamina, but that's not davids case imo.
I can assure u, with this stats and 82 mentality (even with less i'm shure, try it with something arround 75) he will still be a permanent and efective chaser, due to his response, speed/accelaration, stars and stamina. Not to mention BB, wich imo is a little too high.
I don't think there's such a fast and agile DMF in PSDB, and that by itself will distiguish him from the others, making him the most anoying chaser in midfield! And imagine that will last the whole game at the same rythm.

I would still like to ear opinions on the *centre star, is like they say, "silence is consent" ? :P
manoloxcr17

Postby manoloxcr17 » 2009 Aug 27, 22:52

Only 75 of defence? :shock:
Farts stinks like a mother fucker!
Jez

Postby Jez » 2009 Aug 27, 23:34

OFF TOPIC: the little description should be moved underneath the stats
"DEBT IS THE ROAD TO RUIN" David Gill August 2004

My blog is back, check it out! www.mybeautifulgame1.wordpress.com
Fides

Re: Edgar DAVIDS | 1997-1999

Postby Fides » 2009 Sep 14, 23:12

His technique and DA was world class IMO. The were not many players that had control over the ball like he did. He was really able to control the ball like futsal players do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKkkOwEzkyo Just take a look at some of the dribbles in this vid (it start with fouls, but after that you will see some amazing dribbles)

I think his image of a fierce tackler a bit overshadows his class.

His SA needs to come down or his MS* needs to be removed. He wasnt really a regular scorer from distance and his shot wasnt that good.

I also doubt his STA his the best ever. I am actually quite sure that Nedved in his prime ran around more then Davids did. Davids should have STA max. low 90s, but also his MENT in the 90s IMO.
p1rha
Veteran Stat Maker

Re: Edgar DAVIDS | 1997-1999

Postby p1rha » 2009 Sep 15, 11:25

I think most of what is seen as technical ability in davids comes down to agility, strenght and speed. He had many bad receptions and clumpsy dribbles in the middle of some very nice ones, so i think dribble and technique r fine. But what worries me most is his speed on the ball (is he this much faster than Gerrard, Benayoun, Camoranesi or Cicinho?) and his goal scoring abilities, i just score too much with him.

Return to “90's”