Club: Manchester United

Growth Type: Early/Lasting

Last edited by vinnie on 2019 Apr 14, 06:15, edited 2 times in total.
vinnie
PSD Loyalty Program Member

Re: Ryan Giggs | 1993-94 | 1996-99 | 2006-09

Postby vinnie » 2018 Feb 21, 01:30

Durie wrote:Well, Traore is the quickest player I've ever seen in my life, followed by Overmars. I think that he deserves 99 of AC and 98 of TS.

In my opinion, Giggs was faster than Futre including better sprinting skills with superb sprint style-technique (pose). Yeah! I think that Douglas and Giggs are in a very similar class, and in my opinion, Douglas should have a red AC.

ah well that's actually very similar to the way i rate those players amongst each other. i guess the only difference is how much i think those players need respectively in terms of acc. say adama traore, i have nothing against 96 acceleration, and i'm hesitant but can understand the current 97 acceleration. 99 acceleration seems too much though when i think lennon at his best was better for acceleration alone, and for lennon i've always thought 98 acceleration is the right value to rate him with.

some of those examples of giggs are really quite impressive, but i tend to try to take an overall perspective on acceleration taking into account how it's used, and with particular attention to the effectiveness of the explosiveness and separating ability during the first 2 to 3 steps. due to this i tend to be very rigid about how i rate acceleration, and some players that technically accelerate very well after they've had about 5 yards to build up speed i would choose to rate lower on account of if say they are at a lower level in their immediate seperating steps.

i'm still open to persuasion mind you, and plan to watch more giggs of that era regardless to improve my knowledge of his abilities in those years. i just try to get an understanding of a players overall acceleration profile before i try to rate their acceleration ability.

Since my computer has no DVD reader, I had to record with my phone directly from the TV some examples of 00/01.

oh bless you :lol:
I could record more plays of Giggs, but it would require a lot of time finding the exact moments. In the next link you can download some great accelerations of Giggs, I've also included some vids I downloaded in the past, including from 99/00 season.

https://we.tl/yMVi33NYnG

thanks alot for this. don't do much more than you're comfortable with. and there's no rush; i know gathering examples of footage can really take time, which is made worse by feeling hurried. so whatever you want to post as examples feel free to take as long as you need.

i'd also like to get some more insight about what you think about giggs in that era regarding some other areas, like how consistent is he from match to match? did he have frequent off colour matches which were made up for by super star performances? or was he steady and seldom far off of his potential? i'd like to get your insight on this as i feel you must know alot more about giggs for this time period.
If you don't put effort into your post, i won't put effort in my response.
Durie
Former Lurker

Postby Durie » 2018 Feb 22, 10:00

ah well that's actually very similar to the way i rate those players amongst each other. i guess the only difference is how much i think those players need respectively in terms of acc. say adama traore, i have nothing against 96 acceleration, and i'm hesitant but can understand the current 97 acceleration. 99 acceleration seems too much though when i think lennon at his best was better for acceleration alone, and for lennon i've always thought 98 acceleration is the right value to rate him with.

Obviously, each of us has our own perception of abilities, and this makes to be many inconsistencies among players in this database. From what I can check, some player abilities have been edited more conservatively than others. For example, Sané has AC:92 and TS: 94. Giggs had a clearly greater AC and honestly, it was also faster in my opinion. In terms of speed, I see Giggs similar to Sterling but slightly more potent. All in all, the Ryan Giggs from 99-01 era was very close to the stats already proposed for the 98-99 era, though it should have higher crossing stats. In this period he was one of the best, if not the best in term of goal assists of Manu.

i'd also like to get some more insight into what you think about giggs in that era regarding some other areas, like how consistent is he from match to match? did he have frequent off colour matches which were made up for by super star performances? or was he steady and seldom far off of his potential? i'd like to get your insight on this as i feel you must know alot more about giggs for this time period.

Well, he uses to be very constant being normally one of the best of the team in every match, and in many of them the best without a doubt. Even if a match was not so good, he always showed his skills and pace. Normally his best matches were in Champions league, I remember particularly the match against Madrid away in 99/00, he was the best of the match by far and made several outstanding runs.

If I have time, will try to record more examples.
Orm81
New Contributor

Postby Orm81 » 2018 Mar 04, 21:49

Hi, one question... in the era 2006-2009, don't have any special habilitie?
vinnie

Postby vinnie » 2018 Mar 09, 01:28

Durie wrote:Well, Traore is the quickest player I've ever seen in my life, followed by Overmars. I think that he deserves 99 of AC and 98 of TS.

In my opinion, Giggs was faster than Futre including better sprinting skills with superb sprint style-technique (pose). Yeah! I think that Douglas and Giggs are in a very similar class, and in my opinion, Douglas should have a red AC.

i've gave this some more thought, and went back and looked at some examples i've posted before of other players.

have you seen the acceleration examples that are in futre's thread? i took a look at those examples and looked at them compared to the giggs examples you posted here. i honestly think futre is at least equal and slightly more effective at accelerating from a stand still or from low speed. the best examples of futre compare very favourably against the examples you have of giggs in my opinion

look at these futre examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDkiySV9UnE&t=0m11s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZN15kEbPiw&t=3m05s

i think that second example is a display of superb acceleration. i think the acceleration in the example you post of giggs against liverpool is the best display of acceleration, with the manchester city display second best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rFlSumTH5g&t=3701s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l8RwBdvvj8&t=31s

when i was comparing against that run by giggs and switching back and forth watching both, i really think they are very very close, and i see the edge as on futre's side.

giggs has clearly better DS despite futre being no slouch himself, but when it comes to acceleration in and of itself, i don't yet see one clearly on a different level from the other. so i'm not sure if i can yet agree with 97 acceleration.

but, i have no problem with and support the current 1996-1999 set being relabelled as a 1999-2001 set like you suggest. i think that set is fine as a you say, for the era of gigg's absolute peak form. i have some personal interpretation of giggs' that lead me to believe he would be more accurate at around 92/93 acceleration for consistency reasons, but as an initial move i have no problem with 95 acceleration. i accept that i can be overly rigid and sometimes harsh on acceleration though, all because i place so much value and potency in that trait.

Durie wrote:

Obviously, each of us has our own perception of abilities, and this makes to be many inconsistencies among players in this database. From what I can check, some player abilities have been edited more conservatively than others. For example, Sané has AC:92 and TS: 94. Giggs had a clearly greater AC and honestly, it was also faster in my opinion. In terms of speed, I see Giggs similar to Sterling but slightly more potent.

that sterling comparison is a good one to me, i thought about that a bit as well- and with sterling at 93 acceleration and 91 topspeed, that's around where i have my impression of giggs.

i think you should give Sane a chance for reconsideration though. his speed is less easily accessed compared to someone like giggs because he's quite quite clumsier when trying to dribble at topspeed- despite being a very impressive dribbler as far as intricacy and control in small spaces is concerned. i think Sane is comfortably faster than Sterling when he gets up to top speed, and his acceleration is very very good as well. i initially saw it as slightly behind sterling, but i am wondering lately if he's limited by his clumsiness on the ball, because he has some unbelievable swiftness on counter attacks. in my opinion, Sane is definitely faster than Giggs in topspeed. Acceleration wise, i agree on impression that Giggs has the advantage.

Well, he uses to be very constant being normally one of the best of the team in every match, and in many of them the best without a doubt. Even if a match was not so good, he always showed his skills and pace. Normally his best matches were in Champions league, I remember particularly the match against Madrid away in 99/00, he was the best of the match by far and made several outstanding runs.

that madrid match sounds like a good one to watch then. i just want to know if he had injuries and had moments where he was physically hampered. i watched quite alot of giggs from 95' to 99', and he was constantly SO sluggish and at a shockingly lower level regarding speed, acceleration, and even speed on the ball and dribbling. i want to make sure that if i see some dissapointing matches by him i can use context to know if for example he was injured or recovering from injury around the time of that match, or if that display was supposed to be during his good form.

if you say he was consistent and didn't have any slumps then that helps alot knowing that if i try to watch his matches i can be sure i'm watching him at his best.
Durie
Former Lurker

Postby Durie » 2018 Mar 09, 19:46

Many thanks for your concise analysis. All in all, I agree with what you say, and I think that the best is keep the current 1998 stats for 1999-2001 era.

that madrid match sounds like a good one to watch then. i just want to know if he had injuries and had moments where he was physically hampered. i watched quite alot of giggs from 95' to 99', and he was constantly SO sluggish and at a shockingly lower level regarding speed, acceleration, and even speed on the ball and dribbling. i want to make sure that if i see some dissapointing matches by him i can use context to know if for example he was injured or recovering from injury around the time of that match, or if that display was supposed to be during his good form.

if you say he was consistent and didn't have any slumps then that helps alot knowing that if i try to watch his matches i can be sure i'm watching him at his best.

Well, during 99-01 era and despite he suffered a few injuries because his hamstring problems, he always use to show a great form in most of the matches, even immediately after recovering from an injury, as it can be seen in the next example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXp_3qc72JM&t=184s he played this match after recovering from hamstring injurie 1 or 2 weeks later. I can not tell you too much about 96-99 era because I did not see many matches of him, however I watched few ones like the match against Brøndby at home (if I remember well), he was very fast, though as you point, he was not consistent in other matches. What I can tell you is, that is you wath any match of him within the year 2000, you could corroborrate that his form in this year was amazing.

By the way, I think that the AC, TS, DS and DA could improved from 06-09 era. Check his last match with Wales in 2007. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAOiIRHU6Sk (7:30 run is superb). His acceleration was exceptional for his age as well as his speed and DS; DA.
andimuhammadrifki
Former Lurker

Postby andimuhammadrifki » 2018 Jun 26, 02:15

please add his stats from his final years at M.U. (2012-2014, when Park Ji Sung moved to QPR), when his main position is switched to CMF... he has more defence, around 60s... his attack is a bit lowered to between 78 and 83...
Turambur
New Stat Maker

Postby Turambur » 2019 Apr 04, 20:48

this set's been long discussed but hasn't been updated. What happened with the updated? Giggs needs at least to be updated on his two first sets and maybe a new one or two new ones, but its something thats been not discussed yet. Anyway, is there anyting else to discusse for his '99 set? I see enoght good sugestions on the last pages...
vinnie

Postby vinnie » 2019 Apr 14, 06:10

Durie wrote:...

It's been some time; i've added the 2000-03 era set for Giggs with some of the things we agreed on. I put acceleration at 92 for now. I see this as a compromise- some of your examples show great acceleration, but i think rating Giggs above 92 acceleration skews the kind of explosiveness that Giggs was effective with during this time. My first time watching through vids of this era for Giggs, i saw him as having clearly tremendous DS- a great rebound from his previous 3 years, but i wasn't convinced by Giggs acceleration or agility. 92 is slightly above what i would want to rate Giggs around, but i think it remains fair. I am open on my opinion about this though.

I agree with you that this seems to be Giggs' highest level in his career. The early phenomenal emergence of Giggs was one of the genius dribbler, a player destined for greatness. Injuries took much away from that potential, but Giggs managed to return to somewhat of that prodigious level, along with the savvy and polished skills that come with being at the height of one's playing career.

That video maker: adam lee, has put out some new Giggs vs videos on youtube. He's got some of the best performances by giggs recorded.
Durie
Former Lurker

Re: Ryan Giggs | 1993-94 | 1996-99 | 2000-03 | 2006-09

Postby Durie » 2020 Mar 29, 17:54

I think that the stats for his prime era are pretty fine, however, I suggest the era to be 99-01, during 1999/2000 and 2000/2001 is when he really was in the best form of his career.

This is a good example of his extreme confident of his speed during his best form, he only had in his mind "run, run, run!" every time he took the ball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RTJkKQnreE

Return to “90's”