Lothar MATTHÄUS | 1989-1991

Postby PES Stats Database » 2008 Dec 11, 20:10

Nickname: "Der Terminator"

Club: F.C. Internazionale Milano

Growth type: Late/Lasting

Club: FC Bayern Munich

Club: FC Bayern Munich

INFO:

Lothar Matthäus is one of the most successful players ever in world football. He was born on March 21st 1961 in Erlangen and began his career in a local club called FC Herzogenaurach. As an 18 year old in 1979 he moved to Borussia Mönchengladbach one of greatest clubs in Europe at that time. It was in that club Matthäus started to show class and soon he was joining the German national team. He was in the squad who won the European Championship in 1980 and two years later he made his World Cup debut against Chile when he came on as a substiute in a game they won 4-1. West Germany reached the final that year, but Matthäus only took part in one other game, a substitute there as well, and didn't achieve the loser's medal in the final.

In 1984 he moved to Bayern Munich and helped them win the league twice and the cup once before participating in the 1986 World Cup in Mexico. West Germany progressed through the rounds without making great impression. But Matthäus was having a good World Cup and scored the winner against Morocco in the round of 16. In the final itself, Matthäus was given a man-marking job on Maradona. But the little Argentinian had too many tricks up his sleave as West Germany lost their second consecutive World Cup final.

By the time the World Cup was held in Italy in 1990, Matthäus was established in Inter Milan. He had led them to the Italian league title in 1989 and here he played most of his World Cup games on his homeground, Stadio San Siro. It was to be Matthäus best World Cup. Germany were by far the best team and Matthäus scored four goals from his midfield position. In the final in Rome, Argentina were once again the opponents, but this time neither Maradona or anyone else could stop Matthäus and Germany. He was voted European Player Of The Year that year and Player Of The Year in Germany as well.

He won honours in Europe with Inter Milan, before returning back to Germany and Bayern Munich. In 1994 he was supposed to be playing in his last World Cup, operating this time in the sweeper's position. Germany were knocked out by Bulgaria in the quarterfinal and in the same game Matthäus joined Uwe Seeler, Wladislav Zmuda and Maradona as a recordholder of most World Cup matches with 21. Against all odds he turned up in France 98 as a replacement for the injured sweeper Mattias Sammer. Matthäus had been absent from the national side for years when Vogts brought him back into the squad for the World Cup. After being on the bench in Germany's victory over USA, he came in as a substitute against Yugoslavia and set a new record for appearances in the World Cup with 22. He played in all the rest of Germany's matches until Croatia knocked them out in the quarterfinal, making his total to 25.

He retired as a 39 year old following Germany's awful Euro 2000 tournament. A year earlier he lost for Bayern Munich against Manchester United in a dramatic Champions League final. It was the only major trophy that eluded him.

VIDEOS:

ADDITIONAL LINKS:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232229

http://www.planetworldcup.com/LEGENDS/matthaus.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lothar_Matth%C3%A4us

http://www.talkfootball.co.uk/guides/fo ... thaus.html

Last edited by Uzair on 2009 Dec 08, 23:50, edited 5 times in total.
renatomm
Regular Poster

Re: Lothar MATTHÄUS | 1990/1991

Postby renatomm » 2009 May 24, 03:41

he played at all these positions at that era?
Yowza
New Stat Maker

Postby Yowza » 2009 May 24, 11:23

CMF*, AMF, DMF, CB, CWP and not *Centre?
brondbylove
New Stat Maker

Postby brondbylove » 2009 May 25, 18:25

renatomm wrote:he played at all these positions at that era?

CMF, AMF and DMF? Definitely.

CB and SWP was only later on when he was closing in on 40 years of age and obviously didn't had the pace of his younger days but still possessed an incredible ability to tie a team together.

Remember the '99 Champions League final? Out goes skipper, icon and defensive organisator Lothar Matthäeus with 5 minutes to go with Bayern München leading against a seemingly uninspired Manchester United side. Soon after they were behind.
I have returned to the Classics section after a longer break. I am currently working on a list of Danish players from the 90s.
Classical
Seasoned Stat Maker

Postby Classical » 2009 Oct 18, 16:03

Hello:

I strongly believe Matthaus's ACC/TS stats at his Internazionale's days should be rated into higher ground.

This 1st video of solely Inter goals shows us a quick running minded Matthaus.

Suggestions:

Top Speed: 83
Accelaration: 86
When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. Eric Cantona
Fides
PSD Loyalty Program Member

Re: Lothar MATTHÄUS | 1990-1991

Postby Fides » 2009 Oct 18, 16:19

Agree wit the suggestion above but I would lower the ATT, he wasnt as dangerous in terms of positioning as 84 suggests, 81 would be enough iMO.
Classical
Seasoned Stat Maker

Postby Classical » 2009 Oct 18, 16:26

Yes, his goals were mainly coming from the back with solid progressive pace and/or essentialy mid-shooting.
When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. Eric Cantona
Classical
Seasoned Stat Maker

Postby Classical » 2009 Oct 19, 08:09

Going on with the TS / ACC suggestions, they should be matching his currently DS ( 86 ) which sits at a fair value for Matthaus physical displays.
sencesor
Valued Contributor

Postby sencesor » 2009 Oct 19, 22:28

Wow! :o how do you do that?!
"Buy the ticket - take the ride" - Dr. Raoul Duke - Pure Gonzo journalism.
Uzair
Seasoned Stat Maker

Postby Uzair » 2009 Oct 19, 22:44

actually do you guys think he is overrated (other than the areas discussed)? he does seem to play like a superhuman. like a super version of Gerrard. but then again he was pretty awesome

oh yeah, we should get rid of CB + CWP. those positions came later
Classical
Seasoned Stat Maker

Postby Classical » 2009 Oct 20, 07:53

Well this one was a superman.

I have some dvds of some great players, mainly from the 80s, and this guy was incredible fit.

The technical aspect of his game, I think we already know.

And I am continuing to suggest the raise in speed and accelaration as he, in fact, could claim it. About the positions, they need to be deleted, I agree, they are from his late years in Bayern.
Dagoods
New Contributor

Postby Dagoods » 2009 Nov 11, 16:56

I see he was given a 74 for defence (CM) sounds about right but what would you give him for defence as a DM? Perhaps an 80-81?
BigStu
PSD Guru

Postby BigStu » 2009 Nov 13, 15:46

watched him last night in the help for heroes friendly, looks like he's still got it, he and Turgay controlled the game...
p1rha
Veteran Stat Maker

Postby p1rha » 2009 Nov 19, 22:35

I think he is just a bit overated in general. His passing seems a bit high to me, probably more representative of his time at Bayern than Inter.
I like to think of him more or less on pair with Nedved in terms of skill but even better as an athlete and much better as a leader (this last one was his true strenght). Anyway, i just remember him at Bayern and very roughly.

Attack: 84 - By this time Matthaus was a more attack- driven player than this stats represent. I remember someone (i think it was Trap himself) say that even at Bayern there were situations were it was like there were 2 diferent managers with oposite instructions for the team. Trap was trying to pull the team back to his defensive style and Mathaus rushing his teamates foward.

Dribble Accuracy: 86 - his current value puts him on pair with some really excelent dribblers, he could dribble but so does Rooney and he has "only" 83.

Technique: 86 - I can't say i've ever seen anything in his traping skills that impressed me, is it because he's German? Again with Rooney (87) has a bench mark, i think it would be fair to put Mathaus 1 point lower than him. And Ballack has 85.

Shot Power: 96 - What a cannon! And i was thinking 97 ...

Mentality: 99 - If any player deserves a 99 for mentality that's him.

Team Work: 92 - I don't think he was a player with god-like vision on or off the ball. Sure he deserves a very high value but his stamina, response and speed (plus *reaction) already turn him into an extremely mobile player. Don't think he belongs in the same league or anywhere near as Beckenbauer for TW.

Weak Foot frequency: 6 - Both footed sure but u can see he's right footed with 2 or 3 touches on the ball. Not so both footed as Brehme, Matthaus just packed a lot of power in both legs.
Last edited by p1rha on 2009 Nov 19, 23:03, edited 1 time in total.
prosser2k10
Valued Contributor

Postby prosser2k10 » 2009 Nov 19, 23:01

Very well put P1rha but with a huge mentality wont he be unstoppable with the stamina too, i might be wrong here but he wont ever get tired in a game he will be as fresh at the beginning as at the end, i remember when he came off in the 98 final ( i know its different but its not possible for me to have known him this era) but i think u lot get my point.
Sheffield Wednesday FC
p1rha
Veteran Stat Maker

Postby p1rha » 2009 Nov 19, 23:10

I don't know, it's just a sugestion. Don't really mean he deserves 99 for mentality it's just that he should have the highest value ever.

About jim being subed... well in 1998 he was 37... and even so Trap says he is shure that if he didn't took him off they would have won the game. I know i'm older than u prosser but i don't remember him at inter either.

Oh and i forgot: *Marking. Ask Maradona.
prosser2k10
Valued Contributor

Postby prosser2k10 » 2009 Nov 19, 23:44

well i wasnt disagreeing to the 99 value but a stamina reduction maybe
Sheffield Wednesday FC
Classical
Seasoned Stat Maker

Postby Classical » 2009 Nov 20, 10:15

Nice discussion here.

But we must stress one point here as a starting one: We are talking about Matthaus at Inter and not at Bayern.

I've seen a whole documentary about his Inter days, and he played clearly the 10 position, not even the 8. It was the 10.
His playing style was to come deep get the ball, work it out with his team mates one or two 1-touch pass, and get to the last third of the terrain with the controlled ball with space to make a killer pass or, as everybody knows, try the mid shooting. Blasting mid-shooting, this guy scored a lot of goals from 25/30 meters.

Let me discuss it stat by stat my perception:

STA: It should't be 99 even if he did games always at the same pace. You can say he was tireless but honestly I don't see it as 99. The 96 putting him in god region here works out perfectly.

ATT: Good spot there Pirha. I checked Matthaus stats in order to make a few suggestions and I've missed this one. Like I said before, at Inter days he was clearly a offensive minded player. He only get deep to get room for his mid-shooting and because of his extraordinary inteligence, perception and mentality he did a good (if not marvelous) job defending, for a guy who played something close to classic 10. This to say we can backup the proposed 84 in this parameter. One question, tough, and help me here because this is only a stat interpretation, if attack shows the intention of a player to stick to the area he should get a low value (the logic behind the 89 for young striker Ronaldo Fenomeno) but, the other way, if attack reflects the intention of a player, from his position, to advance in the field to attempt to score or support the attack he could to the 84.

DA: He is on par with world class, and in this stage of his career he was undoubtefully one of those. It was normal to see him dribble (coming from behind) 2 or 3 players getting the desired space to hit those rocketts. To support this skill of him I've suggested earlier the increases in DS and ACC. Please see some videos in youtube from Inter days and you will quickly agree with me that he could easily claim high 80s here.

TECH: I will have to use the same argument as above. He was clearly gifted, specially for a german player. And in the beginning of his career you could see he was going often to the dribble as he was almost playing the SS role. Later, already in Inter, he was playing deeper to create the mid-shooting situations and here he would have to decrease the dribble ammount (but never the quality of it) over to the team work play. But his first touch was glamorous and, like Zidane (in terms of intention, this time not in terms of quality), he tried with his 1st touch to put the ball one step ahead, already at the point to start his next offensive move.

Shot Power: He must sit in god region. Personally I wouldn't go over the 95 but I believe he had more SA that the current 85. He was one of those guys who hits like a meteor but actually knew where he aimed at. And doing that with power shots instead of place ones is quite an accomplishment.

Mentality: The leader, even in Inter. But not the same as Bayern where everybody relied on him to do the command role while attacking (libero thing) and chase with awsome positioning while defending. In Inter he had a splendig defensive work for an offensive midfield but 97 seems already a very good value for this era. Extraordinary actually, but I believe he deserves it.

TW: Because he liked to dribble when coming from behind you can have the perception that his TW could be lowered but, in my opinion, it can be seen the other way around. He did a really great TW working in the midfield, which supported him to become the offensive angle of the plan. He needed to have great TW, inteligence, perception and physical fitness to play this role. Inter knew this and adapt their system to maximize Matthaus talent. He was clearly one of the smartest players of, at least, his generation and I strongly believe he also can sit at god region here, which he currently does.

WFf: Well, I can easily see he possesed easy flair with both feed. Nedved style? No, that I do not think so. Perhaps 7 here, not six like you suggest?

What do you guys think?
p1rha
Veteran Stat Maker

Postby p1rha » 2009 Nov 20, 17:28

Exactly, this is Mathaus at Inter, where he played as an AMF and sometimes as a DMF too (well at least i think so). He never played as a CMF, imo he shouldn't have the position, and of course it shouldn't be his primary position.

About attack, i don't think a 84 will make a danger in the box. Maybe *reaction should come off? I didn't saw many goals inside the box, they were mostly long range shots, penaltys and FK's with no curl (btw curl could come down to something like 75). But since the attack stat also influences the way the attack move is built, and how the player can get into a good free position to make a pass, i think he could get a small raise.

About DA and technique, u say he was very gifted ... i agree ... considering he is German. I gave Rooney as an example and i could give more but i'm so convinced Matthaus doesn't deserved that 90 for technique. That's put make him too classy, and even if he had a more than decent technical portfolio i don't think he stand out because of that.
Just take Park Ji Sung as an example. Speed, BB and agility values are similar but DA and technique are much worse, yet i can dribble with ease when i play with him. Maybe DA can stay the way it is, but technique must come down at least to 88. Is not like 86 is a bad value for technique at all, it's good but not classy.

Finally about TW i agree with what u say to a certain point, but u must understand that he has all the other stats that afect mobility already fairly high, that's my only concern. The simple fact that he has high values for both attack and defense make him an intelegent player, plus a 90 for response. How many AMF do we have with such rating for response? None i guess. Like Uzair said he feels like he's not human.

And sometimes we must decipe what are the true reasons for a player to become a legend. Matthaus was a great player, i'm not questioning it, but, suposing he had the exact same skills, if he didn't played 5 WC, 4 European championships, if he wasn't so madly driven and such a leader would he have been such a legend? Because imo that's what made him such a legend, more than his ability it was his drive.
Uzair
Seasoned Stat Maker

Postby Uzair » 2009 Dec 09, 00:02

so what happened to the discussion here? it came to a sudden stop.

Return to “90's”