Rivelino | 1968-1974

Moderators: lucashag, Adrien, Albo7, Korinov, jurgens, Brezza

Forum rules
PES Stats Database
PSD Backbone

Rivelino | 1968-1974

Postby PES Stats Database » 2008 Dec 10, 18:53

Nickname: "Mustache" ("Bigode") | "The Atomic Kick" ("Patada Atômica") | "Kinglet Park" ("Reizinho do Parque") | "Riva"
Club: Corinthians

Growth type: Early/Lasting

INFO:

Spoiler: show
When you’re considered to be the fourth greatest player in Brazilian history after Pele, Zico, and Garrincha, that’s about as great an accomplishment as there is. Rivelino was lauded for his grace on the pitch, as well as his dazzling array of moves, which included his patented “Elastico,” in which he faked going right while keeping control of the ball and then spinning it to his left. This move has become a staple in modern football, popularized by the likes of Ronaldinho, Cristiano Ronaldo, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo (the Phenomenon), and others.

Rivelino, who perfected his tricks by playing futsal in Sao Paulo, was more than just a playground player. He had excellent passing skills, a sharp mind, excellent dribbling skills, and a thunderous left footed shot. He was also a tremendous free-kick taker, famous for his “banana-bending” kicks. He scored a famous goal against the Czechs during the 1970 World Cup that was nicknamed “The Atomic Kick.” He was an important part of the aforementioned 1970 World Cup squad, which is widely regarded as one of the greatest teams of all time. He played in two subsequent World Cups and ended his international career with 92 appearances and 26 goals.

He was also a quick thinker, and one example of this was when he saw the opposing teams goalkeeper finishing up his pre-match prayer right as the whistle blew to begin the game. Rivelino took the kickoff and booted a long-range shot that beat the startled goalkeeper for what is considered to be the fastest goal in football history.

Well, you don’t become one of the greatest Brazilians of all time by being stupid. Actually, that’s not entirely true in Garrincha's case. Still, Rivelino carved out an excellent reputation for himself, despite playing in the shadows of Pele and Zico.

Brasil 1970, perfect team, during the training Rivelino and Tostão were having a break and there was only one guy who could reprimend them, and that guy was obviously Pelé. Pelé did reprimend them.

Rivelino just said: "Hey Pelé, you would have loved to be a leftie, wouldn't you? Chill out."

HONOURS

Club
Corinthians
Carioca State Championship: 1975, 1976

Country
92 Caps 26 Goals
World Cup 1970

VIDEOS:

ADDITIONAL LINKS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Rivelino

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberto_Rivellino

http://www.planetworldcup.com/LEGENDS/rivelino.html

http://www.hinduonnet.com/2002/04/25/st ... 492100.htm

Last edited by Uzair on 2009 Dec 28, 14:08, edited 4 times in total.
Yazid
Veteran Stat Maker

Re: RIVELINO | 1968-1974

Postby Yazid » 2012 Jul 01, 22:09

Overall its a good set which just needs a couple of tweaks here and there tbh. He was so good, like a brazilian Zidane with a bomb of a shot. I actually think his SPA is a tad conservative, not sure if he is an orange value but at least 89 from what I have seen. Attack could be as high as 91.
Brezza
PSD Loyalty Program Member

Postby Brezza » 2012 Jul 02, 18:40

SPA and attack could probably be a point higher, not sure I'd go as high as 91 though, he wasnt quite as effective in attacking areas to be that close to the likes of Platini and Zico. Still unsure about agility off course no point trying to testing him in Pes 2012 though as explosive power is kind of a mix of acceleration and agility so he's actually really quick of the mark. :lol:
Korinov

Postby Korinov » 2012 Jul 02, 18:57

If you want to test him in PES 2012 just decrease his AGI ten points from the value you're testing ;)

Isn't that shot power value a bit over for a player of the 60-70s? Just asking out of curiosity.
Image Korinov la Komadreja
jurgens wrote:korinov clearly jinxed atletico. jealous of their succes he struck with kind words laced with hispanic voodoo.
amine wrote:Spanish vodoo is real. That’s my takeaway from this. When my gran children ask me about it, i’ll tell them about the era of xosé the great
Yazid
Veteran Stat Maker

Postby Yazid » 2012 Jul 02, 19:13

His nickname was the atomic kick.
Korinov

Postby Korinov » 2012 Jul 02, 21:23

Di Stefano was called the blonde arrow due to his speed, and that doesn't mean we have to give him red TS.

On a side note, it seems Konami gave Rivelino red SP as well, so it may be ok after all.
jurgens wrote:korinov clearly jinxed atletico. jealous of their succes he struck with kind words laced with hispanic voodoo.
amine wrote:Spanish vodoo is real. That’s my takeaway from this. When my gran children ask me about it, i’ll tell them about the era of xosé the great
Yazid
Veteran Stat Maker

Postby Yazid » 2012 Aug 28, 12:22

On second thoughts, I do think his SP is too high, I'm starting to come around on the idea that classic players shouldn't have 96, 97, 98, 99 on SP. I think rivelino would probably be well placed on 94 considering puskas is at 93 and charlton at 92. Eusebio should be top of the ladder and I rate him at 95 myself.
Dimon
Regular Poster

Postby Dimon » 2012 Sep 11, 20:48

Rivelino's shot was amazingly hard, current number absolutely OK, I even think that he may have 97 in SP.
Yazid
Veteran Stat Maker

Postby Yazid » 2012 Sep 12, 01:21

^ Sorry to have to disagree, but Eusebio should be top of the ladder for shooting and I'm pretty sure he's 95. Other hard hitters such as Puskas and Charlton are on orange values. Rivelino should be 94 max.
Dimon
Regular Poster

Postby Dimon » 2012 Sep 13, 19:23

Why? Just search for some videos of him. He was capable of scoring from 35-40 meters, and you never can doubt about bad goalkeeping, because power and precision was really amazing. I'm absolutely sure that he is on the one level with R. Carlos, Adriano (at his best times) etc.
Yazid
Veteran Stat Maker

Postby Yazid » 2012 Sep 13, 23:40

I'm well aware of that fact, but the classic ladders simply do not fit with the idea of him having 96 SP. Eusebio was even more powerful and he sits at 95, its your fanboy side coming out and suggesting he should be the highest of his era.
Korinov

Postby Korinov » 2012 Sep 13, 23:59

Great power? Yes, specially considering his era. At Roberto Carlos' level? Not a chance.

I'd be more or less ok with the 95 value, don't mind the ladders too much, it was certainly an important part of his game... really strong shots. In comparison, Puskas was much more about placement, even if he was also able to shot really hard.

On an unrelated note, watching his vids... some defenders were pure shite back then.

Edit: SPS seems overdone. On the other hand... doesn't he seem a bit stronger than this? I'm not talking about muscles... it's just that he looks pretty well balanced in the videos, difficult to shake off the ball.
Yazid
Veteran Stat Maker

Postby Yazid » 2012 Sep 14, 00:11

Well I'm just saying, Charlton was pure power and he's at 92, Rivelino doesn't need 95 or 96 to represent incredible power, 94 would be in my eyes the best value.
Yazid
Veteran Stat Maker

Postby Yazid » 2012 Oct 10, 15:52

I wanna bump this because I feel the set can be improved.

Attack could be bumped to 90ish? Going forward, he was very intelligent and scored his fair majority of goals.

Shot power I already have highlighted is too high, I suggest 94 once again?

Brezza, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this set.
Picâum
New Contributor

Re: Rivelino | 1968-1974

Postby Picâum » 2016 Mar 07, 01:04

I'd like to see a set of his older days, when he was Brazil's leading player. Anybody got one here?
HeitorVieira
New Contributor

Postby HeitorVieira » 2019 Oct 12, 03:42

https://youtu.be/IoiOH3sCemw
What a great player he was, truly outstanding

His finishing is definetely underrated here, both his SA and ST could go up to 89, he was a great finisher, but his SP could go down to 94, he was able to shoot really hard but most of the time he didn't showed red SP

I also think that you guys overrated a little his dribbling skills, he was awesome, but 96 for DA, 95 for BC and 85 for agility would make the set way more realistic, he was definitely not as agile as Iniesta was and he was a little bit worse at dribbling than Zidane was at Juve

And as was mentioned before by others contributors, 88 attack doesn't make him justice, something like 90-91 would be better, he was very dangerous and smart
Turambur
New Stat Maker

Postby Turambur » 2019 Oct 15, 11:53

HeitorVieira wrote:https://youtu.be/IoiOH3sCemw

His finishing is definetely underrated here, both his SA and ST could go up to 89, he was a great finisher, but his SP could go down to 94, he was able to shoot really hard but most of the time he didn't showed red SP

I also think that you guys overrated a little his dribbling skills, he was awesome, but 96 for DA, 95 for BC and 85 for agility would make the set way more realistic, he was definitely not as agile as Iniesta was and he was a little bit worse at dribbling than Zidane was at Juve

And as was mentioned before by others contributors, 88 attack doesn't make him justice, something like 90-91 would be better, he was very dangerous and smart

And both SPS and LPS need to come down several points, and his LPS was better than SPS
Whoah10115
Seasoned Stat Maker

Postby Whoah10115 » 2019 Oct 15, 17:08

Can't agree with much of this. 85 AGI is a terrible suggestion. Realistic is that he was a standout dribbler with exceptional center of gravity and agility. 85 is a very good value but not exceptional.

No need to raise his ATT or lower his SP. He bombed that heavy ass ball and he was truly a midfielder. I dont think he should be higher than Figo or Zidane in that regard, but for sure not at the expense of his SP or dribbling prowess. 90 ATT ok but 89 better. His goal-scoring potential is down to his shooting and his creativity often came from deeper positions or dribbling. He's more individual as a dribbler but more involved in the buildup.
HeitorVieira
New Contributor

Postby HeitorVieira » 2019 Oct 15, 18:15

Whoah10115 wrote:

Can't agree with much of this. 85 AGI is a terrible suggestion. Realistic is that he was a standout dribbler with exceptional center of gravity and agility. 85 is a very good value but not exceptional.

No need to raise his ATT or lower his SP. He bombed that heavy ass ball and he was truly a midfielder. I dont think he should be higher than Figo or Zidane in that regard, but for sure not at the expense of his SP or dribbling prowess. 90 ATT ok but 89 better. His goal-scoring potential is down to his shooting and his creativity often came from deeper positions or dribbling. He's more individual as a dribbler but more involved in the buildup.

I agree that he had a exceptional center of gravity and he should have 81-82 BB because of that, but he's not as agile as Zico and Iniesta were, just compare him to other high yellows AGI players and you will see that 89 is too high for him
Whoah10115
Seasoned Stat Maker

Postby Whoah10115 » 2019 Oct 16, 23:55

HeitorVieira wrote:
Whoah10115 wrote:

I agree that he had a exceptional center of gravity and he should have 81-82 BB because of that, but he's not as agile as Zico and Iniesta were, just compare him to other high yellows AGI players and you will see that 89 is too high for him

85 is a severe drop. Agree or otherwise, I likely wouldn't have batted an eyelid if you said 87. I think Zico is an 88 and if I remember correctly Iniesta is also 89. I think Rivelino is more explosive than either, and it should be reflected somewhere in his AGI.

Return to “70's”