PSD Backbone

Nílton SANTOS | 1958-1962

Postby PES Stats Database » 2008 Dec 10, 18:26

Name: Nílton Reis dos Santos

Nickname: "The Encyclopedia of Football"

Club: Botafogo

Growth type: Standard/Lasting

INFO:

A powerful attacking left fullback who could play anywhere down the left wing. He was instrumental in adding balance and putting even greater pressure on defenses who had enough to contend with in Pele, Didi and Garrincha.

Nicknamed he Encyclopaedia for his incomparable technique, his superb reading of the game, actical knowledge of the his great fair play on the pitch, Nilton Santos always played at Botafogo FR, the club where he started his footballing career in 1948, when he was already 21. He started as a forward, and maybe he owes his great technical skill to it, but then Carlito Rocha and Zeze Moreira, respectively manager and coach of Botafogo FR, turned him into a back. The first halfback who was able to attack starting from backline was born, maybe, from the idea to move Nilton Santos backward.

With Botafogo he won four Rio de Janeiro State leagues (in 1948, the first one after 13 years, then in 1957, 1961 and 1962), two Rio-Sao Paulo tournaments (in 1962 and 1964), a Copa America (in 1949) and the Pan-American Games (in 1952) thanks also to the contribution of other champions such as legendary Garrincha (a great friend of his also out of the pitch), Didi, Amarildo and Zagallo. To Nilton Santos Botafogo was his club for life, the only shirt he ever wore apart form Brazil's.

He made his debut with the Brazilian national team in 1949, in the Copa Americavictory against Colombia (5-0) and only one year later he played the first of the four World Cups with the Seleção After the unlucky experiences (in Uruguay) in 1950 and (in Switzerland) in 1954, Nilton Santos took part in the victorious campaigns in Sweden in 1958 and in Chile in 1962, those were the first two world titles gained in Brazil's football history. He became famous for scoring a magnificent goal in the 1958 tournament when Brazil played Austria. Dribbling his way through the whole field, he finished with a superb shot, driving his coach Vicente Feola crazy (he kept on insisting for Nilton to retreat to the defensive field, but was ignored until the goal was scored). With right back Djalma Santos he formed one of the strongest defensive pairs in the history of football.

In 1998 he was chosen by the journalists from all over the world to be part of the century's best team and In 2006 the IFFHS (International Federation of Football History & Statistics) mentioned him with Elias Figueroa, Jose Nasazzi, Hector Chumpitaz and Daniel Passarella as the best five South American defenders ever. An absolutely great player worldwide.

HONOURS:

FIFA World Cup Winner (1958, 1962)

Individual:
1958 FIFA World Cup All-Star Team
1998 FIFA World Team Of Century
Brazil Football Museum Hall Of Fame
FIFA 100
FIFA World Team of the 20th Century

VIDEOS:

ADDITIONAL LINKS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%ADlton_Santos

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%ADlton_Santos

http://www.goldenfoot.com/acm-on-line/H ... a2637.html

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/stati ... yer=44604/

http://www.niltonsantos.com.br/page/index.asp

Classical
Seasoned Stat Maker

Re: Nílton SANTOS | 1958-62

Postby Classical » 2009 Oct 04, 20:36

Hello there, I was wondering if is it possible to review this set of stats? I've seen some highlights from old brasilian NTs and this player looked, like the general part of this sets portrays, a solid technician left winger who knew how to participate in the offensive flow.

I think he could get some extra points on short passing as he actually did a lot of them. You see, usually you get 2 kinds of offensive sidebacks: the ones who run, run and if they suceed (based on their phsical skills or by the combined result of their team's offense) can attempt a cross....or the ones who posses great understanding as well as solo technique and participate on the offensive process, by making a lot of short passes, changing the ball from their side...

And I think Nilton Santos was one of the second type.

Any comment on my comment?

Cheers
When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. Eric Cantona
Anthony
Former Lurker

Re: Nílton SANTOS | 1958-1962

Postby Anthony » 2009 Nov 18, 19:52

He was like Maldini.

First, he was right foot and had a good Weak Foot Acc and Freq. You can see his goal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTe31rg0Jyo

He was also CB, played many years in Botafogo in this position. You can remove WG and SM.
His defense should raise a lot. He was the only one who stops Fontaine in 1958. You can see the full match here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upxN8isH ... re=related
He wins almost all the balls with Fontaine.

Should increase to 89 or 90, I think.
Jez
PSD Loyalty Program Member

Postby Jez » 2009 Dec 12, 04:29

Yeah, I heard he was right footed too
"DEBT IS THE ROAD TO RUIN" David Gill August 2004

My blog is back, check it out! www.mybeautifulgame1.wordpress.com
Brezza

Postby Brezza » 2010 Jan 28, 18:57

General Update after discussion in the Schnnellinger thread post148222.html#p148222

Attack: 80 < 78
Defence: 77 > 82
Response: 83 > 92
Also:
Shot accuracy: 68 > 70
Header 72> 76
+Cards/Format
Classical
Seasoned Stat Maker

Postby Classical » 2010 Jan 28, 20:34

I've read the german post.

Let's try with the new response value, should change a lot.

:D
When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. Eric Cantona
Plava Čigra
Valued Contributor

Postby Plava Čigra » 2010 Jan 29, 08:43

Nice update, mate. Just one question.

Does he need Trickster card (since he has *Tactical Dribble)?
Oriello

Postby Oriello » 2010 Feb 02, 22:55

Brezza you sure that Encyclopedia nickname of his was, as you put it in Schellinger's thread due to his RES? As that is a massive leap from 83-92, on current modern ladders he is above Nesta and Puyol, and in terms of SB's; J. Zanetti (now defunct as CMF) is highest at 86, so Ramos leads in at 85 and then finally a cluster of players at 84 A. Cole, Maicon, D. Alves.

I am just wondering, if this nickname was indeed a description of his onfield performances, than Nilton being so versed in pretty much every aspect already fullfills that sort of title, incredible ATT-DEF ratio (great intelligence in either quarter), DA-TECH that alows for flawless manipulation of the ball, passing on par with a good midfielder, not half bad finishing capacities on the shot. Clearly these sort of aspects would allow him to stand apart as a completely finished article in comparison to other SB's, his TW too of 88 aids greatly in that tactical insight as it allows him to participate in highly coordinated manner with the team.

I am not stating A.Cole and Nilton Santos should be on par at 84 RES :P, but the 92 just blows other contemporary players out of the water, in addition to Nilton's excellence in all other attributes. I know you were striving to create a gap between Djalama and him in the Defensive aspect, with Djalma remaining better in DEF, but was Nilton that crisp in his tackling (DEF 82 boost and RES 92/AGL 87/BB 84 makes him very good in testing), and in observing play unfold just to step in and snuff out a huge chunk of opposition moves? As i know he was good at joining the attack in oppurtune moments, but so is Maicon at 84 :P . Just wondering if Nilton's RES was thourghly analyzed in all departments, to be definetly rated at 92?

By the way my interest was peaked as I was playing around with Anczok, and trying to settle between 81-82 on RES on modern ladders (Clichy 83 :roll: ..), and I was looking at Classic Brasil, like shit if the great Nilton gots 83 than obviously Anzcok needs tweaking down, then a few days later he had 92, I was :o , :lol:. Anyways that was a fun moment for myself. :mrgreen:
Classical
Seasoned Stat Maker

Postby Classical » 2010 Feb 03, 09:46

His nickname came from the fact that, at the time, you could not see sideback defenders having such a cultured way of supporting the attack, and Nilton knew how to defend and to attack with great ease.

This cultured way of understanding the game, specially at the time, granted him that nickname.
Oriello

Postby Oriello » 2010 Feb 06, 18:29

So it was not fully dependant on his Response/Reading of the game - which indeed may have been World Class, but on some of the other qualities I highlighted earlier? I was just wondering if 92 is certainly the correct number for Nilton, in view as I mentioned his physical abilities and the boon his new Defence rating gives to things like tackling - was he that much class in defending?
Plava Čigra
Valued Contributor

Postby Plava Čigra » 2010 Feb 06, 22:04

I haven't watched Brazil games with him recently, but from what I remember, he really was excellent in defensive positioning. He was even used as CB in some games.

If I'm completely honest, I can't recall would I give him >90 value for Response, but his game reading was pretty good (I would certainly give him something between 85-87, even without re-watching those games). I tend to trust Brezza in rating him, since I understood that he watched Brazil games from that Era more recently then me (sorry if that sounded incorrect but I couldn't find better sentence to express myself).
Oriello

Postby Oriello » 2010 Feb 06, 22:33

I am not trying to drop Nilton to 85-87 range, I just wanted to have averification if he really was on a 92 level in view of modern ladders that I listed - as I thought that is what we are supposed to be doing now :? , I have no problem with 92 if he really played that phenomonally as a defender, as in game he is now an incredible fullback not only coming forward but in snuffing out pretty much every attempt to proceed down his flank. :P
Plava Čigra
Valued Contributor

Postby Plava Čigra » 2010 Feb 06, 23:08

I haven't wrote you're attempting to do that (I tried to find that part in my post, but couldn't find it :? ).

I was just trying to express my opinion about it, and in that purpose I wrote that even from my memory and without re-watching games, I would agree with raise to 85-87 area (which implies that I consider him to be better in that segment then most of the top class full-backs/side backs in both modern and classic ladders, and probably the best full-back in that segment of the game).
Oriello

Postby Oriello » 2010 Feb 07, 00:36

I am just making sure I do not come off as Nilton Santos hater or something. ;)

Plava Čigra wrote:I haven't wrote you're attempting to do that (I tried to find that part in my post, but couldn't find it :? ).

How could you miss it?

Look;
Plava Čigra wrote:I haven't watched Brazil games with him recently, but from what I remember, he really was excellent in defensive positioning. He was even used as CB in some games.

Oriello why you such a hater?!?! :x Just leave him alone - or I will baaaaan you. :twisted: , I swear if his Response drops -1 point on account of you, you wil be whacked :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x !!!!!!! :x :x

If I'm completely honest, I can't recall would I give him >90 value for Response, but his game reading was pretty good (I would certainly give him something between 85-87, even without re-watching those games). I tend to trust Brezza in rating him, since I understood that he watched Brazil games from that Era more recently then me (sorry if that sounded incorrect but I couldn't find better sentence to express myself).
zguc
Seasoned Stat Maker

Postby zguc » 2010 Mar 23, 16:23

The concept of the game defender, his response must be slightly higer then 92.
El orgullo y desafío.
Danilo Cruz
New Contributor

Postby Danilo Cruz » 2010 Jun 10, 00:57

"The Encyclopedia of Football". This is the correct nickname.
zguc
Seasoned Stat Maker

Postby zguc » 2010 Aug 13, 12:10

zguc wrote:The concept of the game defender

Writing this I did not think that was his nickname. ;)
El orgullo y desafío.
locoloco
PSD Youth League

Postby locoloco » 2011 Jan 27, 18:24

HEY, I SAW ALL BRAZIL FULL GAMES IN 1958-1962 AND HE WAS TOTALLY AMBIDEXTROUS, A LITTLE MORE LEFT
jeanclaude
New Stat Maker

Postby jeanclaude » 2011 Jan 31, 20:29

NO. i've seen something about him,he was right. and i take the occasion to say this : Every ambidextrous player is Right footed. Is quiete impossible for a left footed ,they can improve with training,but the reason is in the human nature,in the brain! for a right footed it's easy,so natural,if have talent,to kick also with the left(Maldini,brehme,zidane,nedved,cruijff,pelè and more and more). I well know this.trust
beiderbecke
New Contributor

Postby beiderbecke » 2011 Mar 02, 05:52

Correct his height, please: http://www.zerozero.pt/jogador/nilton_s ... 1&search=1
One should decrease his Agility, because he was very tall for such a high value. I recommend 84, same as Maldini.

Return to “50's”