PSD Backbone

Alfredo Di Stéfano | 1953-1958

Postby PES Stats Database » 2008 Dec 10, 17:54

Club: Real Madrid

Nickname: "Blond Arrow"

Growth type: Standard/Lasting

INFO:

Spoiler: show
Arguably the most complete footballer of all time. Physically powerful, with unparalleled stamina, amazing skills and unwavering determination to win. He was capped by three countries, but ironically failed to take part in a World Cup! His other achievements were sensational enough to warrant him a place among the top players in the history.

After making a name for himself as a all-round attacker in Argentina, he went on to play in the then "outlawed" Colombian league with Millonarios from Bogota, where his goal average was almost one per game. He was approaching what was then considered veteran age when signed by Real Madrid.

It was the balding Argentinean who turned Real Madrid from Spanish also-rans into the biggest club, on the planet. He lead them to five consecutive European Champions' Cups, scoring in each and every final!

His most famous display was perhaps the one against Eintracht Frankfurt in Glasgow, when he netted three times (Puskas went one better) in a 7-3 win for the Spaniards.

Di Stefano is not far behind Pele or Maradona, and he's probably even more complete than Cruyff. His teammates often said that he was fantastic in defense (and could even play in goal), and probably no one had more stamina than him, ever. His position was a striker along side Puskas but from the videos I watched and the stuff I read he played like a DM more than half the time. He would often drop deep to defend his goal, win possession and play it to the wingers or bring it up himself hence high defense, lowish aggression and covering.

"Alfredo Di Stéfano was the greatest footballer of all time - far better even than Pelé. He was, simultaneously, the anchor in defence, the playmaker in midfield, and the most dangerous marksman in attack." - Helenio HERRERA

VIDEOS:

ADDITIONAL LINKS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfredo_di_St%C3%A9fano

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfredo_di_St%C3%A9fano

http://www.spiritus-temporis.com/alfredo-di-stefano/

http://www.football-history.net/who-is- ... tefano.htm

http://www.ifhof.com/hof/alfredodistefano.asp

Last edited by vinnie on 2014 Jun 07, 21:28, edited 21 times in total.
Reason: updated picture
jurgens
Clear

Re: Alfredo DI STÉFANO | 1953-1957

Postby jurgens » 2012 May 17, 18:08

I just updated his passing speeds/sp to konamis and his attack. I'd like to discuss every other value in detail.

I've been playing with konamis for awhile now and imo, it's near perfect. Theres only a few things I'd change. Bal/DS/SA/ST/possibly tech/agression. The only problem I have with their tech value is... are these balls harder to control? He never stood out to me as a red tech tbh, but if the ball is so much harder to control konamis would seem harsh in comparison.

I'm defintly for 90 LPA. Better at finding a mans feet with a little dink/lob pass than a grounded pass.
Korinov
PSD Loyalty Program Member

Postby Korinov » 2012 May 17, 18:17

jurgens wrote:The only problem I have with their tech value is... are these balls harder to control? He never stood out to me as a red tech tbh, but if the ball is so much harder to control konamis would seem harsh in comparison.

Just to make it short... those balls made everything more difficult than a current-day ball. Specially moves requiring a great technical skill. That said, I wouldn't want to be in the skin of a keeper being shot at close range with one of those things.

To be honest, regarding the set, I'll have to give it a try (or two) ingame before making any concrete suggestions.
Image Korinov la Komadreja
jurgens wrote:korinov clearly jinxed atletico. jealous of their succes he struck with kind words laced with hispanic voodoo.
amine wrote:Spanish vodoo is real. That’s my takeaway from this. When my gran children ask me about it, i’ll tell them about the era of xosé the great
Brezza

Postby Brezza » 2012 May 17, 18:19

Hardness of the ball shouldn't really influence in making his stats, just go with what you see. but even from that perspective I personally I think Koanmi underrated him slightly in terms of tech/DA. 95 might of been pushing in but he's easily a borderline red value for me.
kuer86
New Stat Maker

Postby kuer86 » 2012 May 17, 18:23

i`m not sure if its easier to kill a ball with a heavier ball...ok, i think the ball would not bounce away like a ball today but you have to use more strength...and less "feeling"...sorry cant find a better word :D
jurgens
Clear

Postby jurgens » 2012 May 17, 18:33

93 for tech then? What about BB? 80 seems the max for me but I won't argue it. And what about stamina, am I the only one who doesn't like him this high?
frshmn
Regular Poster

Postby frshmn » 2012 May 17, 18:38

jurgens wrote:93 for tech then? What about BB? 80 seems the max for me but I won't argue it. And what about stamina, am I the only one who doesn't like him this high?

I was also apprehensive about awarding him such a high value for STA, but without getting my hands on full matches, I don't quite know how to assess this. I just based my own STA rating on hearsay and a few other Di Stefano sets in which STA was 99.
His TS is 83, big deal. Arguing for 79 is whiny.
Brezza

Postby Brezza » 2012 May 17, 19:09

94 tech and 80 bal for me. Stamina depends if you only think fullbacks should have such a value, but then Nedved has 99.. I disagree that he primarily played in advanced position. He was SS/AM who played like a box-box CM half the time. It was one of his defining characteristic as a player to be fit enough and to cover enough ground to do the job of about about three players simultaneously. But then he probably doesn't HAVE to be on 99 to do that. Not sure.
jurgens
Clear

Postby jurgens » 2012 May 17, 19:35

Updated tech and balance.

About stamina, though does nedved deserve this value? Konami has always used much lower values for stamina than us, and I'm sure theres a good reason for it.
Brezza

Postby Brezza » 2012 May 17, 19:43

Ill test him out with 99 and 90 and let you know. Curiously what stamina value did Konami give classic Nedved?
jurgens
Clear

Postby jurgens » 2012 May 17, 19:49

Korinov

Postby Korinov » 2012 May 17, 20:32

I agree too with 80 BAL, tried it ingame and feels right. Regarding Stamina... well, considering we're pretty much redefining a lot of standards (for the 50s football at least) just by revamping this set as we're doing, I suppose we could look for a middle ground here. As far as I'm concerned he had unparalelled stamina for his time (as he could play as he did for whole matches) so I suppose we could give him a borderline value like 95 and use him as an undisputed top of the ladder for those decades.

Edit: I also believe LPA should be the same, if not even higher, than SPA.
jurgens wrote:korinov clearly jinxed atletico. jealous of their succes he struck with kind words laced with hispanic voodoo.
amine wrote:Spanish vodoo is real. That’s my takeaway from this. When my gran children ask me about it, i’ll tell them about the era of xosé the great
jurgens
Clear

Postby jurgens » 2012 May 17, 21:02

so lpa at 90 then. What about TW/ment? I'd go with konamis value for TW... just because I have faith in theirs. But what about ment? I assume this value we have currently is based on the hounding defeintion, not assume... it defintly is. Konami only give him an 85. I don't really have an idea of it. But all I'll say is... stamina gives him an unlimited tank as it is,
Defo
Seasoned Stat Maker

Postby Defo » 2012 May 17, 21:14

jurgens wrote:Updated tech and balance.

About stamina, though does nedved deserve this value? Konami has always used much lower values for stamina than us, and I'm sure theres a good reason for it.

They streched the ladder a lot more in the past, prime Nedved had 98 and 33 years old Cafù 96...now the highest is Nagatomo who sits on 98, but he's a japanese who plays in Inter so he's not so reliable :lol:

Anyway I'd stick to the default value for STA.
Korinov

Postby Korinov » 2012 May 17, 23:12

About Ment... not sure really. He was certainly a leader, but I don't know to what extent he could deserve oranges or reds. We don't even know if there's a real difference ingame between a high yellow and an orange value. Personally I wouldn't put him under oranges, to highlight his leadership nature and that legendary determination to win he's usually credited with.

And regarding TW... maybe I'm crazy, but I'd actually put him at 99, top of the ladder of all time.
Raúl-7

Postby Raúl-7 » 2012 May 22, 09:24

Korinov wrote:About Ment... not sure really. He was certainly a leader, but I don't know to what extent he could deserve oranges or reds. We don't even know if there's a real difference ingame between a high yellow and an orange value. Personally I wouldn't put him under oranges, to highlight his leadership nature and that legendary determination to win he's usually credited with.

And regarding TW... maybe I'm crazy, but I'd actually put him at 99, top of the ladder of all time.

Definitely agree with you! I think if there is a player who merits a teamwork value of 99 than it is Di Stéfano. Every player, coach and football expert having seen him playing underline his unselfishness and his unique teamspirit again and again. Btw, his technique should be reincreased to 95. I've seen some full matches of Real Madrid's 1950s side and Di Stéfano's ball control was really outstanding! Here are some videos showing his great technique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n-wg7D7O3U, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQg6jYm_GJM

Moreover, his height is 175 cm and his weight is 76 kg: http://www.geocities.jp/fb_museum/Great ... /DiStefano. Look at the following picture with Didí, Di Stéfano and Puskás on it ("Three magnificent players"). Didí's height is 174 cm but he's almost as tall as Di Stéfano and that's why "Don Alfredo's" height can't be 178 cm: html http://www.realmadrid.com/cs/Satellite/ ... istory.htm
Akiak
New Stat Maker

Postby Akiak » 2012 May 22, 10:35

Honestly I have a few doubts regarding the 95 in attack. I liked him much more on his previous value (94 I believe). Orange is fine for him, anything higher would turn him into a goal poacher which he clearly is not. He doesn't venture into the box that much for someone in his position, and I think a limited ATT can reflect that.
Defo
Seasoned Stat Maker

Postby Defo » 2012 May 22, 11:35

Akiak wrote:Orange is fine for him, anything higher would turn him into a goal poacher which he clearly is not. He doesn't venture into the box that much for someone in his position, and I think a limited ATT can reflect that.

Wrong.
matias40
New Contributor

Postby matias40 » 2012 Jun 23, 16:58

Great technique

Suggestion:

Technique: 94--->97 (Like that Francescoli)
Raúl-7

Postby Raúl-7 » 2012 Aug 04, 17:54

He definitely was better or at least on par with Kopa in technique, so it should be 95!
Korinov

Postby Korinov » 2012 Aug 04, 18:46

I'm starting to think we did wrong putting his technique under reds, and considered how he dominated the game and the number of goals he scored... he may deserve higher ATT as well.

Return to “50's”