PSD Backbone

Alfredo Di Stéfano | 1953-1958

Postby PES Stats Database » 2008 Dec 10, 17:54

Club: Real Madrid

Nickname: "Blond Arrow"

Growth type: Standard/Lasting

INFO:

Spoiler: show
Arguably the most complete footballer of all time. Physically powerful, with unparalleled stamina, amazing skills and unwavering determination to win. He was capped by three countries, but ironically failed to take part in a World Cup! His other achievements were sensational enough to warrant him a place among the top players in the history.

After making a name for himself as a all-round attacker in Argentina, he went on to play in the then "outlawed" Colombian league with Millonarios from Bogota, where his goal average was almost one per game. He was approaching what was then considered veteran age when signed by Real Madrid.

It was the balding Argentinean who turned Real Madrid from Spanish also-rans into the biggest club, on the planet. He lead them to five consecutive European Champions' Cups, scoring in each and every final!

His most famous display was perhaps the one against Eintracht Frankfurt in Glasgow, when he netted three times (Puskas went one better) in a 7-3 win for the Spaniards.

Di Stefano is not far behind Pele or Maradona, and he's probably even more complete than Cruyff. His teammates often said that he was fantastic in defense (and could even play in goal), and probably no one had more stamina than him, ever. His position was a striker along side Puskas but from the videos I watched and the stuff I read he played like a DM more than half the time. He would often drop deep to defend his goal, win possession and play it to the wingers or bring it up himself hence high defense, lowish aggression and covering.

"Alfredo Di Stéfano was the greatest footballer of all time - far better even than Pelé. He was, simultaneously, the anchor in defence, the playmaker in midfield, and the most dangerous marksman in attack." - Helenio HERRERA

VIDEOS:

ADDITIONAL LINKS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfredo_di_St%C3%A9fano

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfredo_di_St%C3%A9fano

http://www.spiritus-temporis.com/alfredo-di-stefano/

http://www.football-history.net/who-is- ... tefano.htm

http://www.ifhof.com/hof/alfredodistefano.asp

Last edited by vinnie on 2014 Jun 07, 21:28, edited 21 times in total.
Reason: updated picture
Toneti- Esp
New Stat Maker

Re: Alfredo DI STÉFANO | 1953-1958

Postby Toneti- Esp » 2012 Oct 23, 07:15

What about a set of his last years, for example from 1961 to 1964?
reckless
New Stat Maker

Postby reckless » 2012 Nov 29, 01:20

The guy himself said that he was nowhere as skilled as Maradona or Sivori so why does he deserve such high dribbling and technique? He was more an intelligence type of player who could play in all positions.
Roy
PSD Elite

Postby Roy » 2012 Nov 29, 06:36

reckless wrote:The guy himself said that he was nowhere as skilled as Maradona or Sivori so why does he deserve such high dribbling and technique? He was more an intelligence type of player who could play in all positions.

Pele once said Neymar is better than Messi, does that make Neymar better than Messi?

Your reason is horrible, really get proper reasons
jurgens wrote:i could take a shit on my keyboard and produce something that has more relevance in game

jurgens wrote:the only muscle you'll ever have is that of a better man than yous cock

jurgens wrote:Do it yourself you smelly bean dipping porfavor
Korinov
PSD Loyalty Program Member

Postby Korinov » 2012 Dec 03, 10:11

reckless wrote:The guy himself said that he was nowhere as skilled as Maradona or Sivori so why does he deserve such high dribbling and technique? He was more an intelligence type of player who could play in all positions.

The values are debatable, as everything else, but maybe you should actually watch some footage of him before saying this kind of things.
Image Korinov la Komadreja
jurgens wrote:korinov clearly jinxed atletico. jealous of their succes he struck with kind words laced with hispanic voodoo.
amine wrote:Spanish vodoo is real. That’s my takeaway from this. When my gran children ask me about it, i’ll tell them about the era of xosé the great
Yazid
Veteran Stat Maker

Postby Yazid » 2012 Dec 17, 01:20

I've watched a bit more of this guy and I am more impressed with his long passing than his short passing and feel it should be higher. Whether that means lowering SPA by 1 or 2 or raising LPA by 1 or 2, I feel there should be a difference.

Agree or disagree?
Korinov

Postby Korinov » 2012 Dec 23, 14:50

Hmm, probably true. LPA could be closer to oranges, 89 would be a safe bet if you ask me. You're right about the need of making a bit of a difference, as he was usually more adventurous with high passing.
jurgens wrote:korinov clearly jinxed atletico. jealous of their succes he struck with kind words laced with hispanic voodoo.
amine wrote:Spanish vodoo is real. That’s my takeaway from this. When my gran children ask me about it, i’ll tell them about the era of xosé the great
mr.Boss
PSD Elite

Postby mr.Boss » 2012 Dec 23, 14:56

Korinov wrote:Hmm, probably true. LPA could be closer to oranges, 89 would be a safe bet if you ask me. You're right about the need of making a bit of a difference, as he was usually more adventurous with high passing.

Totally agree with orange LPA maybe 90 and i think SPA should be 88-89. _tick
PMTP & Mia San Mia
Yazid
Veteran Stat Maker

Postby Yazid » 2012 Dec 29, 16:35

^ No, orange LPA is unnecessary, he never showed to be a world beater in long passing, he just had a better long pass than short pass. Probably would suggest 89 LPA, or 88 LPA with SPA being decreased to 86.
Yazid
Veteran Stat Maker

Postby Yazid » 2013 Feb 18, 16:51

I'd also like to say that I think his teamwork could be even higher. That may seem drastic, but the only player I've seen as supportive as di stefano in recent times is phillip cocu. The way he was everywhere on the field is madness and with stamina being lowered, I think teamwork could be as high as 97.
Raúl-7

Re: Alfredo Di Stéfano | 1953-1958

Postby Raúl-7 » 2014 Jun 05, 09:13

His long pass accuracy is just fine. But I definitely agree with Yazid considering teamwork. He is maybe not on par with Cruyff but it's nothing less than 97, however. And what about raising his attack to 98? Considering the fact that he's probably the most active player in the offensive of all time, which means that he not only scored tons of goals but also initiated and set up almost every goal Real Madrid scored at that time, he defininitely deserves that value, as well as Pelé and Maradona do. We should also think of raising his dribbling accuracy to 95.
Last edited by Raúl-7 on 2014 Jun 09, 09:14, edited 1 time in total.
Korinov

Postby Korinov » 2014 Jun 05, 20:28

Only thing I'd raise here would be his shooting stats. Easily SA 95 and ST 96. He was both a clinical finisher and also able to strike the ball effectively from any kind of odd position or situation.

Everything else is fine as it is IMO.
Raúl-7

Postby Raúl-7 » 2014 Jun 06, 06:20

Korinov wrote:Only thing I'd raise here would be his shooting stats. Easily SA 95 and ST 96. He was both a clinical finisher and also able to strike the ball effectively from any kind of odd position or situation.

Everything else is fine as it is IMO.

Agree with higher shot accuracy and shot technique. I'm also okay with not raising dribbling accuracy and teamwork as these points are very debatable. But 98 in attack is a must have, my opinion, for the reasons I brought up in my last post. Actually he initiated, set up and scored most of Madrid's goals and was the crucial man in its excellent offensive. Moreover, after having watched several matches of him I'm convinced that he is one of the most if not the most versatile offensive player ever.
Yazid
Veteran Stat Maker

Postby Yazid » 2014 Jun 06, 10:16

98 Att couples with red SA and ST would be overkill imo. 96 is more than enough for attack with the other attributes he has tbh.
Albo7

Postby Albo7 » 2014 Jun 06, 11:09

Yeah I agree with Yazid, Puskas should really have a clear advantage over him in terms of attack.
Image TROLL KING Image

Raúl-7

Postby Raúl-7 » 2014 Jun 06, 11:55

Albo7 wrote:Yeah I agree with Yazid, Puskas should really have a clear advantage over him in terms of attack.

Although, in my opinion, he definitely deserves higher attack (at least 97) I approve your arguments especially if compared to Puskás. But if you don't want to raise his attack, we should at least implement Korinov's idea of raising his shot accuracy and shot technique as he's one of the deadliest and most precise strikers of all time who doesn't require hiding from Puskás.
Yazid
Veteran Stat Maker

Postby Yazid » 2014 Jun 07, 17:33

Red SA I can see, it was the combination of red SA, red ST and 98 Attack that made me think it was overkill.
Raúl-7

Postby Raúl-7 » 2014 Jun 07, 19:13

Yazid wrote:Red SA I can see, it was the combination of red SA, red ST and 98 Attack that made me think it was overkill.

95 or 96 for SA (as Korinov said) and ST 95 would be fine, then. A red ST is also deserved, in my opinion. Concerning this, I especially remember a goal he scored in 1958 European Champions Cup final, volleying a hopping ball while being surrounded be Milan defenders in the box.

It's at min. 3:00: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCAlqBamBjs. Moreover, although this is just at training I'm neverless quite impressed by the goal he scores at 0:48 min: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoNZDwcWKrE#t=92. The goals he scored at min. 1:38, 3:15, 4:48, 5:19 also show clearly that he didn't bother scoring from akward positions.

PS: Maybe this video should be added to the first post as it's quite informative and shows all the important phases of his career: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyTfcoMPDXg. Btw, his goal at min. 21:15 underlines again that he truely derseves a red shot technique, in my opinion. ;)
Raúl-7

Postby Raúl-7 » 2014 Jun 09, 08:15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOcbxP2-mdc: Another high light video you could probably integrate into the first post (sorry for double post).

And the more videos I'm watching of him the more I'm convinced that he definitely deserves a red value both in shot accuracy (especially shot accuracy as his shots were extremely precise) as well as shot technique (seen at min. 4:31, 8:00, 8:51). A value of 96 at shot accuracy and 95 at shot technique would replicate him quite well without outshining Puskás' phenomenal 99 in shot accuracy and 98 in attack. But especially in terms of shot technique, Di Stéfano is superior to Puskás, imo. So, while keeping his current 96 in attack, this would be a very good compromise between these two players.

Maybe we should also rethink of dribbling accuracy. Sure, he is not at the same level as Kubala sitting at a well deserved 97. But especially when watching the videos I've listed up in my last posts, I'm impressed by how elegant and tricky (e.g.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n-wg7D7O3U; min. 0:56, 1:28) he dribbles even at high pace. So, altough this has already been discussed, I still think that a 95 in dribbling accuracy is well deserved for him as, in my opinion, in terms of ball control while dribbling he is not inferior to the likes of Xavi or David Silva who have 95 at da.
Malcolm X
PSD Youth League

Postby Malcolm X » 2014 Jul 07, 15:35

R.I.P .. Such a legend that we will talk about as long as we know football.
Vickingo
PSD Backbone

Postby Vickingo » 2014 Jul 07, 15:40

R.I.P. This is really sad :cry:

Return to “50's”