Overall ratings of Historical Teams and Teams of the Decades - 1950's-2010's

Moderators: Fixer, josev, BigStu, lucashag, Adrien, Albo7, Korinov, Brezza, jurgens

vinnie
PSD Loyalty Program Member

Overall ratings of Historical Teams and Teams of the Decades - 1950's-2010's

Postby vinnie » 2020 Jan 20, 06:55

Here are some Teams of the Decades according to the Overall ratings they get from their PSD sets, and using my Overall Ratings formula [ viewtopic.php?p=515370#p515370 ].

Seeing as the decade has just closed, here is my team of the decade. I'll also suggest some teams of the decades for previous decades, but these are only preliminary suggestions that haven't been researched with a high level of detail, they are used here to demonstrate the OVR ratings primarily.

Teams of the Decades : 1950's-2010's

Best XI : 2010-2020 - Average OVR rating: 93.5

Best XI : 2000-2010 - Average OVR rating: 94.3

Best XI : 1990-2000 - Average OVR rating: 94.7

Best XI : 1980-1990 - Average OVR rating: 93.9

Best XI : 1970-1980 - Average OVR rating: 93.9

Best XI : 1960-1970 - Average OVR rating: 93.0

Best XI : 1950-1960 - Average OVR rating: 91.7

All-Time Best XI - Average OVR rating: 96.4

Comments about this All-Time XI and players I chose:
Spoiler: show
In this All-Time Best XI, I put in Xavi instead of individually better players who could possibly somewhat play in the same role such as an AMF like Maradona, Michael Laudrup, Zico, or Platini. I think a team like this needs a Xavi though, someone who can slow things down and give much needed balance and support movement. The front 3 is essentially the peak of an attacking trio in my view, as Messi is the pinaccle of direct attacking playmaking, Cristiano is the pinnacle of unrelenting attacking determination and dynamic effectiveness, and Pele the all-capable blend of being probably the greatest all around finisher of all time, awesome aerial ability, excellent speed, strength, dribbling and the ability to play dangerous passes- all with possibly the most brilliant attacking instincts of all time. So i don't think such a trio needs a maradona or a Zico behind it, I put Cruyff instead as the midfield talisman, him being someone who could be selfless and coordinate two phases of the team, and be the incredibly hard to stop dribbler bringing the ball into the attacking phase. Then, the killer dribbler in Messi does most of the attacking damage dribbling to either shoot or to play through balls for Cristiano or Pele.

Oh and as an edited comment i've added after submission: I realize the addition of Van Dijk might be seen as controversial? Well I understand skepticism, I just think Van Dijk is the perfect modern defender, and has the most complete skillset for a CB of all time. He's not the greatest tackler, or the best in purely defensive technique and co-ordination, but he is clearly elite, and combining this with his incredible blend of height, mobility, aerial dominance, pace, power and strength, and then after all that, superb technical ability and passing, well I would not put any defender ahead of him in an All-Time XI. So that's again a personal preference there. I've paired him with Beckenbaur as I prefer even more technical ability on the ball as I presume any team going against this All-Time XI will be sitting deep, so I want someone who can masterfully dictate play and make daring ventures forward with the ball. My second choice is Baresi. Roberto Carlos and Carlos Alberto are used as quintessential attacking fullbacks who stretch the field and overload the marking capabilities of opposing fullbacks.

For Defensive Midfielder I almost went for Roy Keane, who I personally view as one of the best midfielders of all time, period. But Rijkaard all around dominance in almost every ability as a DMF can't be ignored, and so I overruled my inclination.

Neuer and Buffon were also strong candidates to be GK over Schmeichel, and any of these 3 are worthy.

I tried to make all these teams somewhat balanced, and reflective of the best players of a given time. My knowledge is very limited prior to 1980's football, so I relied on an a general view of different teams of the decades that I saw given by various newspapers, football writers, or forums.

Next I want to include the OVR ratings of Champions League winning teams of every year. This will be an interesting way to compare the quality of the world's best club teams year by year. And as we can see above where the teams of the decades of the 80's to the 00's are clearly stronger than the previous decade, it's also a chance to consider where some possible work will be appreciated in making sure that we aren't being to harsh to modern players in comparison to players of previous eras.

World Cup Champions : 1958-2018

France 2018 - Average OVR rating: 85.8

Germany 2014 - Average OVR rating: 88.5

Spain 2010 - Average OVR rating: 89.5

Italy 2006 - Average OVR rating: 89.6

Brazil 2002 - Average OVR rating: 88.7

France 1998 - Average OVR rating: 88.5

Brazil 1994 - Average OVR rating: 87.5

Germany 1990 - Average OVR rating: 89.6

Argentina 1986 - Average OVR rating: 86.9

Italy 1982 - Average OVR rating: 88.4

Argentina 1978 - Average OVR rating: 86.5

Germany 1974 - Average OVR rating: 89.0

Brazil 1970 - Average OVR rating: 87.9

England 1966 - Average OVR rating: 87.9

Brazil 1962 - Average OVR rating: 88.5

Brazil 1958 - Average OVR rating: 89.5

World Cup Champions Ranked:

1 : [89.6] Germany 1990, Italy 2006;
3 : [89.5] Brazil 1958, Spain 2010;
5 : [89.0] Germany 1974;
6 : [88.7] Brazil 2002;
7 : [88.5] Germany 2014, France 1998, Brazil 1962;
10: [88.4] Italy 1982;
11: [87.9] Brazil 1970, England 1966;
13: [87.5] Brazil 1994;
14: [86.7] Argentina 1986;
15: [86.5] Argentina 1978;
16: [85.8] France 2018;

Last edited by vinnie on 2020 Feb 02, 03:52, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't put effort into your post, i won't put effort in my response.
AMC
PSD Youth League

Re: Overall ratings of Historical Teams and Teams of the Decades - 1950's-2010's

Postby AMC » 2020 Jan 21, 09:00

Outstanding stuff mate, the CL winning teams should make for good reading, a WC winning sides would be good to see as well.
vinnie
PSD Loyalty Program Member

Overall ratings of Historical Teams and: World Cup Winning Champions

Postby vinnie » 2020 Feb 02, 03:56

I've added the OVRs of the World Cup winning teams from 1958-2018 into the First post. There aren't enough reliable sets for the champions prior to 1958, so they couldn't get an OVR reading done. A handful of sets i made some judgement tweaks in terms of their rating due to having good suggestions seeming to have been left un updated, this was a very small number of sets, less than 5? And mostly consisting of much older sets, for example Alan Ball's set where i applied some suggestions made by phil when calculating his OVR.

Next I'll either start slowly adding Champions League winning teams in small bunches, or Copa America/EURO winning teams.
If you don't put effort into your post, i won't put effort in my response.
AMC
PSD Youth League

Re: Overall ratings of Historical Teams and Teams of the Decades - 1950's-2010's

Postby AMC » 2020 Feb 02, 13:52

Fantastic mate, it’s amazing how out of place one or two players look in these teams given their rating, Roque Junior sticks out a mile in that Brazil 2002 side!
lrag
PSD Youth League

Postby lrag » 2020 Feb 16, 15:38

hey vinnie do you take in consideration the old gen Stars and special skills for the overall calculations ? , and it would be interesting to see the overall for the big All Star NT Teams (Brazil,Argentina,Germany,Netherlands,Italy,France,England,Spain)
AdAc
Regular Poster

Re: Overall ratings of Historical Teams and: World Cup Winning Champions

Postby AdAc » 2020 Feb 16, 23:12

vinnie wrote:I've added the OVRs of the World Cup winning teams from 1958-2018 into the First post. [...]

In France 2018 you wrote T. Hernandez but the LB was L. Hernandez
redondo+10
Former Lurker

Postby redondo+10 » 2020 Feb 17, 00:28

I think Riquelme in the 2000 - 2010, with Xavi in the place of Cambiasso, could be a perfect football midfield, and Gullit instead Falcao in 80-90's. But it's only my preference. Amazing work, dude

Return to “Classics”