Chelsea FC discussion thread

Moderators: BigStu, anOKguy, Brahms, Phil, Welbeck19, Jez, Mod's

Forum rules
PES Stats Database
PSD Backbone

Chelsea FC discussion thread

Postby PES Stats Database » 2012 Jan 16, 00:19

Us mods, well me an evans have been "wasting" thread space talking about chelsea in general and as were meant to be against such matters from normal members, I felt a thread would be a good idea, and as the manc scum have a thread as well...

2headedEagle
Regular Poster

Re: Chelsea FC discussion thread

Postby 2headedEagle » 2016 Sep 25, 13:57

BigStu wrote:So did I, ow the best we can hope for is europa league and a cup run.....team needs serious changes fast,

The main problem is the defence! Zouma & Terry duo was way better than the current duo.

Chelsea needs another defender too for replacing Terry, that must be a carvalho type defender, not so strong physically but very good technically, IMO that's the perfect defending formula for EPL, One strong defender & one technically good defender.
Also ... Chelsea needs a good Poacher. Costa maybe can score a lot of goals, but most of the time He is useless, and just complicates things. really ... Chelsea doesn't need Costa, He's not so productive.

Maybe Chelsea needs another winger too, an extremely fast winger... You saw Pedro vs Bellerin yesterday, that hurted me a lot.
From the world of darkness I did loose demons and devils in the power of scorpions to torment.
BigStu
PSD Guru

Postby BigStu » 2016 Sep 25, 17:01

Costa isn't even close to being a problem...
BigStu
PSD Guru

Postby BigStu » 2016 Nov 05, 23:20

What a few weeks this has been, from rock bottom to sky high, this team is going places
antony
PSD Elite

Postby antony » 2016 Nov 06, 01:13

Conte is an outstanding manager no doubts on him, only needs time and support.
Juventus was a dead club before his arrive, from two 7th places to 1st in one season, will see if him can do the miracle again.. from a 10th place to 1st without very big signings in the summer.
When he goes with backline of 3, his teams become really hard to beat.. don't know but he is master of that tactic.
Oriello
PSD Loyalty Program Member

Postby Oriello » 2016 Nov 06, 13:52

antony wrote:Juventus was a dead club before his arrive, from two 7th places to 1st in one season, will see if him can do the miracle again..
Juve were not "dead", two 7th place finishes after 3rd and 2nd place finishes directly from Serie B, club was just rebuilding for the long term, yes the seasons were underwhelming (I recall Bonucci being responsble for some goals/bad results) but the whole management was geared for the longevity of the club (Agnelli appointed president, and he brought in Marotta), Conte was just an unexpected adrenaline boost (he had what experience managing a team? Italy's youth team?), I think the way he made juve play just accelerated the long term project of the club...it helped that astute acquisitions were made at the time, Barzagli on the cheap (been a pillar for 5 years), Pirlo for free, Vidal the most complete player in the world...all while balancing the books financially during the recession after 2008 and new club owned stadium being completed ... juve were simply beneath the ground cuz they were germinating into a flower :P not because they were dead ;).

For Chelsea his personality and desire to play each moment with zest, flood forward - Chelsea should do well in the league, its just...His approach and tactics come short in Champions League vs quality sides, no offense to Everton.
BigStu
PSD Guru

Postby BigStu » 2017 Jul 29, 14:40

concerned about this season, team looks fucking awful so far in preseason
BigStu
PSD Guru

Postby BigStu » 2017 Jul 31, 10:23

Yep, but the season starts in less than 2 weeks, with only 1 more prep match. So far see no evidence we will make the top four or get out of the UCL group stage
BigStu
PSD Guru

Postby BigStu » 2017 Aug 06, 16:48

Well first real match of the season, some of the concerns have been lifted, defence is back to normality, looked pretty solid all told, midfield looked a bit more like it, though again reinforced the idea that fabregas cannot play in the two against top opposition at least, works fine in an attacking sense, but if kante is left up due a surging run/press theres a massive matic sized gap in front of the back 4. But the attack is seriusly missing Hazard, so the sooner Marata can get firing the better.
BigStu
PSD Guru

Postby BigStu » 2017 Aug 28, 09:24

Been a good couple of weeks, was worried, still think its vital to sign a few players in the coming days, but I think we could have a decent season, a cup win and a pressure the manchester clubs for the title. As for the signings, moratas look the real deal, bakayogo actually looks another good buy, and whilst rudiger started like a fish out of water, getting much better each game and might come good as the season goes on
BigStu
PSD Guru

Postby BigStu » 2017 Sep 17, 22:30

Saw your mango tree post @amine, I'm interested if you've got any thoughts on why his record is so poor?
Rex
Regular Poster

Postby Rex » 2017 Sep 18, 02:50

Not asked, but with this being a public topic i'll answer anyway as i think the reasons for Conte's bad record against Arsenal is quite understandable.

The first game at Emirates, 3:0 last season. Think it was the key game for Chelsea in the season bc they changed the formation after that. Conte started with something like 4-1-4-1 or 4-3-3 as u wish, Cahill Luiz at the back, Cesc, Matić, and Kante in the midfield, and Hazard and Willian on the flanks with Costa upfront. Think Arsenal took advantage of that Chelsea formation which was defensively quite voulnerable for 2 main reasons

1) Luiz - Cahill, we all know it's not the happiest pairing in 4 at the back formation. Cahill lost two balls in the same area in 2 weeks, i think against Swansea before that game (altough he was fouled there, but it was to risky to have him in posession there) he was playing as a RCB. We all know that Luiz is looking like a headless chicken in 2 cb formation.

2) Hazard was directly responsible for Bellerin, and Arsenal took advantage of that (look at the second goal). That amount of defence is too much for him.

After that game, actually during that game, he switched to 3-4-3 and won like 50 matches in a row. That is important because

1) Luiz had two great defensive midfielders and two cb's as a protection. His lack of defensive intelligence was properly covered, and his ball playing qualities were highlighted.

2) Cahill became a limited CB on the left side, playing wider, giving the ball away is much better in wider areas then central. He now had a chance to defend and not to think too much about the build up.

3) Azpilicueta on the other side, as a good defender, has the ability to move forward. His link with Costa and now Morata is incredible, his crosses are beautiful, and on the other hand, it was a double plus bc of Moses' lack of quality early crossing.

4) Hazard not having that much of defensive job to do.

In february, they trashed them at Bridge.

Can't say about the FA Cup as i didnt watch the game but knowing they finished with 10 men and with Matić out for Cesc minutes before, i can see what happened.

Yesterdays game, yeah, Chelsea played in their winning and standard 3 at the back but it was just the lack of defensive stability and physicall presence. We all know how shit Fabregas is defensively, and playing so deep it's a big chance for every stronger club to enter Chelsea's last third. He needs 2 dm's badly, and that's was the case today in the first half Arsenal sniffed the blood, entered the final third of Chelsea easily, and were a better team. As i said, having Kante + Cesc is physically weak protection for the d line, and also with Cesc being a defensive liability, some extra work for Kante. As soon as (not 100% fit) Bakayoko entered the pitch, Chelsea looked more comfortable defensively, with little bit of muscles there + extra protection for Cesc. That's not the complete excuse for weak attacking game, but it's related.

U remember City Che 1:3 last season? The same problem with only Cesc + Kante, KDB had a huge chance to make it 2:0, Chelsea looked completely out of the game for an hour. But a bit of Costa's magic, defensively weak City side and set up combined with standard lack of energy for City after an hour of football last year won the game for Chelsea.

My point is, Wenger is stil clueless, he's not an expert for Conte or something. Some circumstances were good for Arsenal in 2 of 3 clashes in the prem, and (cannot be 100% sure) but also in the fa cup final. I am 100% sure that if they both stay where they are for couple of years, Conte will have much better record with AW.
Relja's not dead
BigStu
PSD Guru

Postby BigStu » 2018 Mar 04, 23:18

Really disappointed, was resigned to the fact it would be a defeat and probably a convincing one in the score line, but hoped at least I would be a gdecent performance. One again Contes selection was wrong (though given the circumstances I really shouldnt have a go) and there was zero desire in team.
BigStu
PSD Guru

Postby BigStu » 2018 May 13, 23:28

Fuck conte, failed by the club and the players but really has let down us fans who very much were behind him till recently,
BigStu
PSD Guru

Postby BigStu » 2019 Jan 19, 23:10

Be careful what you wish for, fell out of love with conte, but I really can’t stand Sarri, today really highlighted it
BigStu
PSD Guru

Postby BigStu » 2019 Feb 19, 10:04

I was wrong Sarri is Tactical Genius.
BigStu
PSD Guru

Postby BigStu » 2019 May 29, 22:02

3rd place, 2 cup finals and European cup winner. Successful season, and yet not. But despite what I’ve said about Sarri, if he is staying I’m willing to give him a second chance now with an actual summer with the what will be left of team after Edens and certain others departures, Pulisics addition plus a few of the loanees entering the picture

Return to “Chelsea FC”