Main formation is used in the season is 4-2-3-1 (used in 83% of games of the season) If the rival plays with 2 forwards “Athletic” may use 3-3-1-3.
*The choice of the formation is based on the number of the forwards in the opponent’s first XI – he wants to have one more central defender that number of the forwards (if the opponent plays with 1 forwards he prefers 4-2-3-1; if 2 forwards – 3-3-1-3)
* Core elements of the philosophy of the game:
- An extremely high line and pressing all over the pitch
- attacking minded football
- keeping high rhythm in the game
- The fullbacks pushing very high up and marking the opposition wingers
- getting the numerous advantage in the zone of the ball and in the box
- Assistsareperformedfromtheflank (states that the considerable amount of goal threats happen after passes from the flanks)
- Using as one of the central defenders of the former central / defensive midfielder - prefers high pressure and thus the central defender acts in a more conventional band, more mobile, able to quickly organize an attack in the selection of the ball
- Using as an attacking central midfield player flanking the former (the game is on the flanks, the shift to the flank attacking midfielder with experience of action in this area -strengthening the capacity of the team in offensive actions)
- The role of the fullbacks can be used by the former wingers: according to game systemsfrom Bielsa - backs actively involved in the attack, but may move diagonally from the flank to the direction of the centre of the box.
* Any substitutions are performed during a game aim at preserving / strengthening of attacking potential and keep the level of activity in high pressing
1) substitution of the central striker (Toquero -> Llorente) in every game in last 20-25 minutes - to keep the level of activity in the front line, both in the attacks and in the transition todefense.
Toquero demonstrates high activity in the pressure an opponent. In addition, he is more inclined to shift to the flank in the early stages of attack (attacking midfielder in this case moved the position of the center-forward), able to hold the ball.
2) Perez come in as a central midfielder or left midfielder
3) San Jose come in for the central or attacking midfielder - San Jose play on the position of central defender, and Javi Martinez go to the position of central midfield. In order to strengthen the midfield and keep active pressure in the middle of the field
* Main sources of the goal threats:
- crosses from the right flank (Iraola, Susaeta)
- pass from the left flank zone of the penalty box (De Marcos, Muniain)
The leaders in goal assist in La Liga – Susaeta (4), De Marcos (3), and Muniain (2).
* Allthecrosses/passestotheboxaimatthecentreofthebox, even more at the centre of the keeper line. 63% of shots were performed from the box, most part from the central zone.
* TheaccuracyofshotsatgoalinLaLiga – 11%.
Structure of scored goals in the games of La Liga
• 10 from 27 (37%) were scored after right flank attacks
Hereare 2 options:
А) incounterattacks–performed diagonal ball from the center to the free zone on the flank, where the player entered into and sent the ball to the penalty box
Б) overlaps down the flank in triangular combinations and cross to the box
• 5 (19%) were scored after success in high pressing
• 6 (22%) were scored in corners.
Mainthreattotheopponent’sgoalisLlorente – scored 8 balls (4 with head); perform more shots at goal than others (2.6 per game)
Atthesametime – the wide range of players who can score - 12 players scored 1-2 goals.