PSD Backbone

Martín Palermo | 1997-2000 | 2007-2010

Postby PES Stats Database » 2011 Jan 30, 22:20

Club: Estudiantes LP | Club Atlético Boca Juniors

Club: Club Atlético Boca Juniors
Number: 9 | 18 (in WC 2010)

INFO
Spoiler: show
Martin Palermo earned his recall to the Argentina side by doing what he does best: scoring goals, and lots of them. Boca Juniors’ all-time top scorer with 218 in all, El Loco endured a frustrating time in his first spell in the blue and white striped jersey, during which he had the misfortune to miss three penalties in a 1999 Copa America tie against Colombia. Having put that unwanted hat-trick behind him, Palermo found redemption ten years later when Diego Maradona restored him to the Albiceleste line-up. The free-scoring striker repaid his coach by hitting a late winner against Peru last October, the goal that finally cleared Argentina’s path to South Africa 2010.

Palermo began his prolific club career at Estudiantes. Two seasons after helping Los Pincharratas win promotion to the first division in 1995, he joined Boca Juniors, where he has acquired the status of a legend. In two different spells with Los Xeneizes, in between which came a brief sojourn in Spain, he has collected the small matter of six league titles, two Copa Libertadores, a Copa Intercontinental, two Copa Sudamericanas and three Recopa Sudamericanas.
Following Palermo's recall, Maradona handed him the captaincy for a number of friendlies held on home soil, although that goal against Peru is undoubtedly the crowning moment of his international career to date. Dubbed "St Palermo" by his national coach, the Boca striker has an insatiable appetite for goals and can cause all sort of problems for defences in the air, having honed his prodigious leap playing volleyball in his early years.

Caps
Argentina: 15 appearances | 9 goals

Club
_arg 1991-1997 Estudiantes LP 93 appearances | 34 goals
_arg 1997-2000 Boca Juniors 102 appearances | 81 goals
_esp 2000-2003 Villarreal C.F. 70 appearances | 18 goals
_esp 2003-2004 Real Betis 11 appearances | 2 goals
_esp 2004 Deportivo Alavés 14 appearances | 3 goals
_arg 2004-2010 Boca Juniors 178 appearances | 98 goals

Trophies & Titles:
_arg 1994-1995 Primera B Nacional - Estudiantes LP
_arg 1998 Apertura Primera División Argentina - Boca Juniors
_arg 1999 Clausura Primera División Argentina - Boca Juniors
_arg 2000 Copa Libertadores - Boca Juniors
_arg 2000 Apertura Primera División Argentina - Boca Juniors
_arg 2000 Intercontinental Cup - Boca Juniors
_arg 2004 Copa Sudamericana - Boca Juniors
_arg 2005 Apertura Primera División Argentina - Boca Juniors
_arg 2005 Copa Sudamericana - Boca Juniors
_arg 2005 Recopa Sudamericana - Boca Juniors
_arg 2006 Recopa Sudamericana - Boca Juniors
_arg 2006 Clausura Primera División Argentina - Boca Juniors
_arg 2007 Copa Libertadores - Boca Juniors
_arg 2008 Apertura Primera División Argentina - Boca Juniors
_arg 2008 Recopa Sudamericana - Boca Juniors
*1998 - Primera División top-scorer: Apertura (19 goals in 20 Match)
*1998 - South American Footballer of the Year
*2000 - Man of the Match Incontinental Match (2 goals al Real Madrid)
*2007 - Primera División top-scorer Clausura
*2008 - American Golden Shoe - 24 goals
*2008 - Voted best in the world header, an Internet consultation between fans organized by FIFA.

Facts
*Tied for 7th place of All Time in a Career among the Argentine league Primera División Top Scorers with 215 goals (34 with Estudiantes and 181 with Boca Juniors)
*He is in the Guinness book of records for having missed three penalty kicks in the same match, against Colombia in Copa América 1999.
*Martín has been Boca's most frequent top scorer 14 times.
*Martín Palermo is Boca Junior's top scorer in international matches with 43 goals, 15 more than 2nd place Rodrigo Palacio.
*Martín surpassed Francisco Varallo to become the top scorer in the professional era among Boca's top scorers with 224 Goals. (181 in Primera división Argentine tournaments and 43 in international tournaments)
*Palermo is in 1st place among Boca's all-time top scorers with 224 goals,[35][44] after having surpassed the 221 goal mark of Roberto Cherro.
*Currently, with 213 goals scored, is the eighth top scorer of the First Division history of Argentina.
*Holds the record for most goals in a short tournament of the First Division of Argentina (20 goals in the Torneo Apertura 1998)
*Martin Palermo is the leading scorer in La Bombonera (119 goals).

Career Highlights
*On April 24, 1999 converted a penalty kick with both feet against Plate in a 2-0 victory in the Torneo Clausura. At the time of executing the penaltys, slipped and caused the ball hit him in both feet and is a goal.
* On July 4, 1999 in the match between Argentina and Colombia for the Copa America Palermo missed three penalty kicks in the regular time, which was a Guinness Record.
*On November 13, 1999, in a game against Colon de Santa Fe, injured cruciate ligaments in his right knee. In that same match, injured, scored his 100th goal in the Primera Division. She was seven months idle back to play against River Plate in the second leg quarter-final of the Copa Libertadores 2000, May 24, 2000 in La Bombonera. At that meeting marked the third goal for his team in stoppage time which served to eliminate Boca Juniors to his rivals and classify the semi-finals of the Cup.
*On December 29, 2001 suffered a double fracture of tibia and fibula. It was at the match between Villarreal CF and Levante UD, after converting one goal was to celebrate with a group of fans and the pressure of them, a wall fell on his leg.
*On February 2007 he became a goal from 61 meters to the Independent. The match ended 3-1 in favor of Boca.
*On May 2, 2007 he became a goal in the victory Velez Sarsfield 3-0 in the first leg of the second round of the Copa Libertadores, beating Guillermo Barros Schelotto, with 25 goals, as top scorer Boca Juniors in international tournaments.
*On March 18, 2007 against Gimnasia y Esgrima de La Plata, Martín Palermo became for the first time in his career four goals in one game. The game was played at La Bombonera ended 5-1 in favor of the premises. In that week I had made three goals to his former club Estudiantes, totaling seven goals in seven days.
*On January 26, 2008, in a friendly match against River Plate Pentagonal the Summer Tournament, scored the second goal for his team hung from the crossbar. That game his team eventually won 2-0
*On August 24, 2008 against Club Atlético Lanús, Palermo again suffers cruciate ligament rupture of the right leg (the same as in 1999), an injury that left him inactive for six months
*On March 1, 2009 became the top scorer for Boca in the professionalism with 195 goals scored in the Huracán marcarcarle with what happened to Francisco Varallo, who has 194 points.
*On October 4, 2009 became the tenth player to reach 200 goals mark in the professional era of the First Division of Argentina which both reached that figure did Velez Sarsfield, for Apertura Tournament, head first 38.9 meters, making it the longest of the header from a greater distance.
*On October 29, 2009, converted to a torrential downpour the winning goal in the qualifiers against Peru in the 48th minute of the second half. With that goal Argentina went from being almost eliminated in qualifying for the WC 2010.
*On March 2, 2010, became one of the two top scorers in the history of Boca after becoming a goal to Velez Sarsfield, who finished 4-4, tying the record of Robert Cherro with 218 goals.
*On April 12, 2010, Martin Palermo has established itself as the leading scorer in the history of Boca after winning two goals against Arsenal de Sarandi, surpassing the record of Robert Cherro, totaling 220 goals in a match in which Boca won by 4-0.
*On May 19, 2010 was convened by Diego Maradona, coach of the Argentina soccer team to contest the World Cup 2010.
*On June 22, 2010, during the World Cup, Martin becomes the second goal for Argentina against Greece and in this way, with its 36 years becomes the oldest rookie to score World Cup for the Argentine national team in World Cup.

VIDEOS:

xaguanteelrojox
PSD Youth League

Re: Martín PALERMO | 1997-2000 | 2007-2010

Postby xaguanteelrojox » 2011 Feb 01, 06:48

living history
xeneize
PSD Guru

Postby xeneize » 2011 Feb 01, 16:56

in 2007-2010 WFA DEFINITELY should be 6. only somebody who dont see play him can put 4 in WFA.
and in response needs 88 minimum. if have 90 now
in 1997-2000 94 in shot technique is too much (the same as ibraimovich) 92 MAX. i am fan of palermo but we must see reality
THANKS FOR EVERYTHING, THERE WILL BE NOT ANOTHER LIKE YOU
JMVP
PSD Elite

Postby JMVP » 2011 Feb 01, 17:15

There's a saying that goes like "In a land of blind people the one who has one eye is king". Sure he was king in that time, in his land, but the set on the first post is very much overrated, one can wonder were all the national coaches had their minds at.
xeneize
PSD Guru

Postby xeneize » 2011 Feb 01, 17:30

what you suggest? but just not so overrated...
jurgens
Clear

Postby jurgens » 2011 Feb 01, 17:38

damn.. first post probably makes him the greatest targetman of all time.. apart from that tech. Can do with some huge decrease, seriously.. nicejob on all the biography and such though. Just stats need some decreases. also is he really worthy of those passing stats/tw from the second set? That puts him on Diego militios level playmaking wise
julgui
PSD Loyalty Program Member

Postby julgui » 2011 Feb 01, 18:28

jojojo. Its ST is only 92. For a man who became goals ABSOLUTELY ALL SHAPES. If he was not part of the selection was for his continuous injuries. Also remember that sets the goal became to: the knee, Chilean, two legs, INJURED, everything you can imagine.
Respects their values, their speed is low, their values are low pass, his agility is low.
Look to make it as real as possible (was tested in the game and the game was very real).
Sorry if you do not succeed, but instead of attacking and criticizing suggestions have been expected as it did xeneize.
Señor Ascenso | Mr. Lower Leagues
Vickingo
PSD Backbone

Postby Vickingo » 2011 Feb 01, 18:36

jurgens wrote:damn.. first post probably makes him the greatest targetman of all time.. apart from that tech. Can do with some huge decrease, seriously.. nicejob on all the biography and such though. Just stats need some decreases. also is he really worthy of those passing stats/tw from the second set? That puts him on Diego militios level playmaking wise

TOTALLY DISAGREE, if you watched some matches of Palermo (and not only vs Real Madrid or Palmeiras) you don't say that. The first post fits Palermo's 2000 era, really well rated
xeneize
PSD Guru

Postby xeneize » 2011 Feb 01, 19:18

can go up the response in the 2007-2010 set? 2 or 3 points? :D
jurgens
Clear

Postby jurgens » 2011 Feb 01, 19:24

vickingo_73 wrote:
jurgens wrote:damn.. first post probably makes him the greatest targetman of all time.. apart from that tech. Can do with some huge decrease, seriously.. nicejob on all the biography and such though. Just stats need some decreases. also is he really worthy of those passing stats/tw from the second set? That puts him on Diego militios level playmaking wise

TOTALLY DISAGREE, if you watched some matches of Palermo (and not only vs Real Madrid or Palmeiras) you don't say that. The first post fits Palermo's 2000 era, really well rated

Oh if I watched, eh? I really wonder why its common for south americans to jump on people with DID YOU SEE HIM PLAY IM FROM ARGENTINA etc (seriously I've seen this thing for years here) Yeah I saw him play, not a lot but I seen him back a long, long time ago and happend to watch every single match of argentinas 99 copa america that was telvized over here. I'll ask you the same thing, did you see him play? When you were 5 years old :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm sure you did and your memory is no doubt terrific.

I'll make some actual suggestions when I have some time.
julgui

Postby julgui » 2011 Feb 01, 19:31

I'll just say this so as not to create more mess and then leave everything up to the moderators.
At the copa america you say, became 3 goals in 4 games.
And had the misfortune of missing 3 penalty to judge him forever in the Argentina team. But we must also say that Ayala missed a penalty far more important that versus Brazil.
Now just because these criminal penaltys in a position to judge an entire race and over 300 goals?

Bye =).
jurgens
Clear

Postby jurgens » 2011 Feb 02, 03:30

julgui wrote:I'll just say this so as not to create more mess and then leave everything up to the moderators.
At the copa america you say, became 3 goals in 4 games.
And had the misfortune of missing 3 penalty to judge him forever in the Argentina team. But we must also say that Ayala missed a penalty far more important that versus Brazil.
Now just because these criminal penaltys in a position to judge an entire race and over 300 goals?

Bye =).

UGH why do you need to imply ignorance in others to defend your stats? Its dumb. I was merely saying after being told “ if you had of seen him “ that I had seen him, back in those days 13 years ago.. and I did have the chances to watch most of his games in the copa america. Where the hell do you get the idea... that because he missed 3 penalties im juding his whole carrer? I havn't said anything like that at all. Thats just such ignorance it astonishes me.

First off, I'm talking about the first set... I haven't mentioned anything about his carrer and his 300 goals... they came much later than his 97-2000 period and thats where I see him to be over rated. This shouldn't even need to be said but stop thinking you have some superior knowledge over europeans just because you live in argentina, that we don't see these players, that we don't know who they are, you implied the same thing to me before in Riquelems thread.. its just such ignorance.

Lastly, this shouldn't even need to be said... but I guess maybe it'll maybe it will help some south americans to realise that people do actually watch their games. Back in the days, 97-2000 I did happen to see a decent amount of his game, back in those actual time frames. Every game televized from his extremly short international carrer, and multiple games games from his stint in spain. Did you know that Boca juniors is an extremly famous team? Its not like they are some no name team. Everyone knows them, making them very easy to get matches from. I have followed alot of Tevezs carrer back when he was in boca juniors, and naturally this means I have seen alot of Palermo too. I've downloaded countless matches from Riquelmes carrer which includes his early years in boca... so again I've seen a lot of Palermo. And have also watched tones of matches just over the years out of wanting to see the team, and to research players for my classic boca team. So.. I'm well aware of who he is, his carrer, and his capabilities. Lets not forget that as JMVP said he was king in his own land, but how did he do in a more competitive league? He score like 18 goals in 3 seasons in spain... something that can't be overlooked.

Okay so..

attack: 91? This making him far too good at escaping his marker. Puts him at one of the best at all time. He wasn't like this, he was good, he would defintly find space around the area, but a ridiculos amount of his goals come from him actually winning duels being rightly marked. He was good at getting into good attacking postions.. but not this good. I'd put him at an 88 max.. I think thats being generous.

Response 92? This I don't understand. This makes him one of the best poachers of all time... he wasn't like this at all. He didn't pounce on lose balls lightning quick, that wasn't how he played at all. He was a targetman and was decent at reacting to rebounds etc.. but not like this. I'd bring this way down. Like an 86 or so :?

Agility 76? He was by no means an very agile player, but he was no oaf either. He could make quick turns to evade his marker, and would show some really great agility in his movements when he would hit volleys etc. I'd bring that up to a 78 or maybe 79 considering his height.

DA: 74 too low. Not a good dribbler, but decent enough to be able to move the ball around to get into a better postion to shoot. I'd go with a 76.

Shooting stats... this is where most would have a problem I belive.

SA: Back in the 97-2000 era I belive he was actually a very good placer of the ball. Defintly a very good one, but his consistency was not all that great. I'd like to give him an 87/88 on his best day. But if consistency is to come into it.. I'd say he looks better at a 85/86 SA.

ST: Pretty high... okay so.. Palermo scored a decent amount of really great bicycles over the years. But its not like it was a constant thing. Look at Boriello last season, how many did he score and how dangerous was he with them? Very and much more consistinetly dangerous than I ever rember Palermo being. Also I belive many of his bicycles etc weren't scored in that time frame. I know he was capapble.. he was great at them, but he needs 92 for that? Nah. I'd bring him down to an 89 Max. I think with that + 2/3 agility, thats being very fair.

Curling: Too low, was able to put a decent amount of curl on his shots when needed to. 80 would suffice.

Header/jump. Honestly I've never seen anyone score so much headers.. but this combination with his height/balance is too much. I'd view Vieri/crespo/batistuta/Borgetti as the best headers I've ever seen. Hes taller than them all and has way higher jump than them all. He was probably the best header I've ever seen.. I'm not opposed to him being a 97 header.. but with his height/balance/jump its just too much. I'd say 87 jump would be a better value. Though that may be a little high.

Agression: I'd take that down to below 90.

I think considering how he wasn't able to demonstrate the same level he showed in argentina over seas, the numbers I've suggest are extremely generous.

Might make suggestions on his later stats.. but probably no point. I think hes over rated in his current set anways

edit: tech... i donn't know why this value is so low. Honestly... he was good at this and i can rember countless goals he owes to his first touch setting him up perfectly. I won't make an exact suggestion because I'd need to look at similar players tech values. But surely a mid green level would not be bad.
Last edited by jurgens on 2011 Feb 02, 05:13, edited 2 times in total.
xeneize
PSD Guru

Postby xeneize » 2011 Feb 02, 04:06

jurgens wrote:
I think considering how he wasn't able to demonstrate the same level he showed in argentina over seas, the numbers I've suggest are extremely generous.

this is stupidity
need not play well in Spain to be a good player. Argentine football is also much more demanding if not wise.

about the stats.

The only thing that I agree with you is in 88 in ATTbut 90 is not bad. and agi in 77 78 is too much. and 86- 87 in SA. is ST 90 min needs. curling 80 is too much 78 max. the jump stay overrated... maby 85 but header 87? DEFINITELY NO we evaluated the technician of the header and palermo is one of the best in history 97 is perfect for him
and finally in AGG 90 seems ok
julgui

Postby julgui » 2011 Feb 02, 04:08

I will just say that:
In his first season and conditioning became difficult after 6 goals in 17 games. In the next when we truly surrender was expected to start with 3 goals in his first 5 games. But to score a goal was his right ankle fractures after falls off a wall. Then from there its level was declining.
I do not agree on whether a player does not perform at some club, should be decreased.
With this approach ... Maradona Surrendered in the F.C. Barcelona ... Perhaps if Pelé had gone to Bologna and unaccountable .. your stats deserve to be down?

Regarding the suggestions, I disagree, but also are welcome.. The moderator will know well what to do about it. ;)

Visit: Dixie DEAN, Olivier BIERHOFF, Carlos SANTILLANA, Miroslav KLOSE, Dario, etc.. (about HEAD/JUMP) and not talk about values ATT / RES SHOT and very, very superior to Palermo (and indeed very justly)
jurgens
Clear

Postby jurgens » 2011 Feb 02, 05:05

this is stupidity
need not play well in Spain to be a good player. Argentine football is also much more demanding if not wise.

about the stats.

Stupidity eh? Thats a fanboy attitude. It is not stupidity, it is REALITY. He never displayed this sort of level in 3 years in spain, not like he didn't have time to adjust, 3 years is a long time. You don't need to be a in spain to be a good player. But if your this good in argentina.. you should be this good in spain? Nah. But he was a big fish in a little pond, and wasn't anything close to the level he was at argentina, in spain.

and agi in 77 78 is too much
It's not. Hes a big man and that doesn't make him an agile guy. It will help him with executing his volleys etc without the need for a ridiculously high ST?

curling 80 is too much 78 max.
Its not. While he hit the ball dead straight alot of the time, when he took some further out shots, he would be more than capable of putting some nice curl on them. I rember one goal in particular with very nice curl on it from the edge of the box.

but header 87? DEFINITELY NO
what.. read my post.

I do not agree on whether a player does not perform at some club, should be decreased.
With this approach ... Maradona Surrendered in the F.C. Barcelona ... Perhaps if Pelé had gone to Bologna and unaccountable .. your stats deserve to be down?

3 year is a long time to not perform. And its definitely something that needs to be considered, especially when making a player.. one of the greatest players in the database. Maradona proved his worth for years on the international stage and at club level in napoli. Pele proved himself internationally as well. Palermo proved nothing outside of argentina, and thats fact. He scored against some poor south american teams... then retired.

Visit: Dixie DEAN, Olivier BIERHOFF, Carlos SANTILLANA, Miroslav KLOSE, Dario, etc.. (about HEAD/JUMP) and

Okay, look, all the players you have mentioned are significantly smaller than Palermo. Some are over 10 cm's smaller. Thats why they have such a high jump. The only player taller is Bierfoff (i forgot to mention him, trez too) and yes he has a lower jump value than your Palermo too. I didn't mention Klose because his stats are over rated, hes also smaller... and probably the best at jump I've ever seen. Don't see any comparison between the two in that regard.
s-cobar

Postby s-cobar » 2011 Feb 02, 10:11

and this thread is exactly the reason why I vote for you at "best constructor of a post"
Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself
xeneize
PSD Guru

Postby xeneize » 2011 Feb 02, 14:59

jurgens wrote:
but header 87? DEFINITELY NO
what.. read my post.

sorry I read wrong but i suggest 85 in jump.
Brezza

Postby Brezza » 2011 Mar 13, 01:11

Yeah I was hesitant in approving these actually, especially because of shot tech which is too near the Bergkamp and Ibrahimovic's of this world, the agil raise seems fair to compensate for the st decrease. I know that he is one of the best headers ever but was he such an athletic jumper? Anyways good explanation from Jurgens and Ive updated him based on his suggestions seeing as I don't see any real good rebuttals.

Attack 91> 89
Resposne: 92>86
Agility: 76>78
DA: 74>76
SA: 88>87
Shot technique: 92>89
Curling: 78>80
Jump: 90>85
xeneize
PSD Guru

Postby xeneize » 2011 Mar 13, 01:24

in 2007-2010 is not better than 97-00 in RESP?
imorv
Former Lurker

Postby imorv » 2011 Mar 24, 03:22

Man, young Palermo should have 99 in header he is with out a doubt, one of the best strikers argentinian futbol has seen in all its history. In fact journalists say that Palermo was one of the most under rated players, internationally speeking because he had many great strikers on top of him like Batistuta or Crespo with different caracteristics that could associatte better with other type of game.

If you had Palermo in the court you had to structure your team around him and relying on him to make the goals. "The goal optimistic" is a nickname Bianchi gave him and that couldn't be more accurate, he had not only the ability to make goals with ANY part of his body, except for the hands of course. On top of that, he coould play 89 min of the worst futbol, and you though "Wow, Palermo was nos concentrated today, it wasn't his day, he didn't play well, etcc" and in the minute 90 he made an incredible goal to win the game, he has that power.

To play a World Cup and to help the National team to qualify was a spine in Palermo's ass, and Maradona let him fullfill he's dream and finish his career like he deserved.

I remember once, he was injured from the ligamentos in spanish i dont know the translation, the fibres that join the knee, and he was 6 months out. 6 months later, he was on the bench watching boca-river play the libertadores cup (Latin America Champions League) and Boca was wining 2-0, Bianchi called Palermo to enter in the last minutes, after not playing for 6 months, it was kind of a gift to Palermo and the crowd that day to coronate an overwellming victory over River to leave them out of the cup. In the minute 90, Palermo made an incredible goal to finish the night with an emotion that can not be explained in words. That incredible team later on won to Real Madrid with 2 goals of Palermo.

GOAL AGAINST RIVER - ALEJANDRO FANTINO VOICE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSSQJDrwsHs

One writer, I can't remember who said something like: "The experience you live in an Argentinian court cannot be explained in words, you can only live it"

Return to “00's”