Forum rules
PES Stats Database
PSD Backbone

Jimmy Greaves | 1961-1966

Postby PES Stats Database » 2008 Dec 10, 18:45

Club: Tottenham Hotspur

Growth type: Early/Lasting

INFO:

He has scored the third highest number of goals for England. There’s no better way of introducing the legend that is James Peter Greaves than that: a goal-machine. A man who knew how to find the back of the net better than anyone else on the pitch. Jimmy Greaves was a player who struck fear into the English league, the Italian Serie A and the world.

Greaves is famous for missing out on England’s World Cup winning final due to a leg injury, which resulted in his substitute, Geoff Hurst, playing a somewhat vital role in the game. No one would have thought him replaceable though. Greavsie was one the most legendary football players England has ever seen.

From East to West London and then to Italy

Born in East Ham in East London Greaves was a cockney through and through. Being born in 1940, the East end of London wasn’t the easiest place to be a baby. At school, Greaves found football provided the perfect escape. He was very talented at a very early age and it led to him being spotted by a London club on the other side of the city, Chelsea.

Jimmy made his debut for Chelsea in 1957 at the tender age of 17. Within a couple of years of being at the club, he not only secured a concrete place in the first team but became the youngest ever Top Goalscorer, scoring the most goals in both the 1959 and 1961 seasons. Just before Jimmy celebrated his 21st birthday, he celebrated his 100th League goal: a record for a player of his age.

Although we think of it as usual now, in 1961 it wouldn’t have been that common for a foreign club to come asking for an English lad. But his reputation at Chelsea meant that the European giants, AC Milan, heard about Jimmy and he signed for them in 1961.

The East Ham boy found it hard to settle in Italy, although with 9 goals in 12 games you’d never have thought it. He decided to move back to the UK and it would have made him the first £100,000 player in Britain . . . but for one pound!

The shrewd, clever and reputable Tottenham manager, Bill Nicholson, brought Jimmy back to London for a fee of £99,999, meaning that he didn’t have the pressure of being the first to cost a hundred grand. This would turn out to be a pretty smart move as the success Jimmy showed whilst with Spurs suggested a man without any pressure at all.

To north London

People knew Jimmy was good at scoring goals but no one on earth would have been able to predict just how good he would prove to be in the ten years he was with Tottenham Hotspur. When he finally left the club in 1970, Jimmy had notched up arguably the most impressive statistics any striker in the English game has ever had for one club.

He played 379 games and scored 266 goals. He was unsurprisingly the League’s top goal scorer over four seasons in the top flight. All in all, Greaves would finish his career with the record that still stands, of being the top goal scorer in six seasons of competition.

Silverware for Spurs would sadly never match his individual success but he still helped Tottenham to lift the FA Cup in 1962 and again in 1967, as well as the UEFA Cup in 1963. Jimmy would play a huge part in this monumental Spurs win by scoring twice in their 5-1 win over Spanish Atletico Madrid. They would then become the first British club to win the UEFA Cup, making it all the more historical. There was another little matter of less silver but more gold-ware in the World Cup, but I’ll come to that in a moment.

….and then finally back to East London

You can take the man out of the East end but you can’t take the East end out of the man. In 1970, when Jimmy was 30, he returned to his roots in East Ham by playing for his own team, West Ham United.

He had always expressed a desire to play for the Hammers and, now at the latter stages of his career, he would do them the service. He scored twice on his debut against Manchester City and would proceed to enjoy 38 games for West Ham that season and score a pretty reasonable (for him) 13 goals.

Jimmy’s days of glory might have been over but he remained a first team player and important goal scorer not only for West Ham but also for Brentwood Town, Chelmsford City and Barnet FC, playing well into his thirties. They were much smaller clubs but he proved he was no less of a player. For Barnet he scored around 25 goals but no one really counted. He finally hung up his goal-scoring boots at around the age of 38 ... but it could have been longer.

For Queen and Country

Some strikers hold outstanding goal scoring records in their domestic leagues but don’t always manage to match it for their country. This wasn’t to be the case with you know who. He made his debut in 1959 and would finally complete his time with England in 1967, the year after the World Cup. Greaves’ tally might not have beaten Bobby Charlton’s, who played many of his games alongside Jimmy, or that of the ultimate goal-poacher Gary Lineker, but his records are perhaps more impressive being the third highest scorer with 44 goals, because they all came at a much higher rate and in a shorter period of time than any of the others. He still holds the record for the most number of hat-tricks for England (which came to six).

Greaves’ cheeky and lovable sensibility was never better displayed than in a World Cup match in 1962 against Pele’s Brazil, in which a stray dog clambered onto the pitch during the game. Many of the players tried to lure the dog but it was Greavsie, who got down on all fours, and managed to get the dog to behave himself - not for long though as the dog ended up weeing all over Jimmy.

This sort of treatment might have been more appropriate at the next World Cup Finals in 1966, which were of course held on Jimmy’s home territory. We all know what happened to England during that historical tournament but many might not know of Jimmy’s part.

It was a very sad story. Jimmy was injured in a qualifying game against France and suffered a serious leg injury. This meant that substitute Geoff Hurst was drafted in to play up front with Bobby Charlton. Poor Jimmy would spend the rest of the tournament nursing his wounds on the bench.

The hardest pill for Jimmy to swallow in 1966 is that when he regained his fitness in time for the final against West Germany at Wembley, the incredible form of his replacement, Geoff Hurst, meant that he was left out of the starting eleven and, because of the lack of substitutes in those days, he wouldn’t get to play any part in the famous (They Think It’s All Over It Is Now) win. He sat on the bench in his suit looking genuinely shocked at what he was seeing unfold in front of him.

No man would have been able to hide such a huge level of disappointment but Jimmy tried his best. He couldn’t face it though and famously went on holiday with his wife while the other players dined out on the fame of being world champions. He retired from English football the following year.

HONOURS:

Club
Tottenham Hotspur
FA Cup - 1962, 1967
UEFA Cup Winners Cup - 1963

Country
World Cup - 1966
57 Caps 44 Goals
Individual
Top Scorer in the First Division: 1959, 1961, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1969
Inducted into the English Football Hall of Fame 2002

VIDEOS:

(dribbles and scores on 1:16)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9kkgs ... aves_sport

http://www.britishpathe.com/results.php ... reaves&o=0

ADDITIONAL LINKS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Greaves

http://www.spursodyssey.com/articles/greaves.html

http://www.nationalfootballmuseum.com/p ... reaves.htm

http://www.englandcaps.co.uk/JimmyGreaves.html

http://www.goal.com/en/news/2274/goalco ... -greaves-6

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/football ... roID=36898

Nrby
PSD Loyalty Program Member

Re: Jimmy GREAVES | 1961/1966

Postby Nrby » 2009 Jul 12, 10:24

wondering if this version of him could be used in the Chelsea all stars ... he was important for them and from a statistical point of view he was just as good at Chelsea
andykeikei
New Contributor

Postby andykeikei » 2009 Nov 01, 10:53

http://www.britishpathe.com/results.php ... reaves&o=0

From some of these videos, Jimmy Greaves's right foot was pretty good. He not only would use both of his feet to dribble past players, he would shoot with his right foot if he needed to, and with good accuracy too as he was 1-on-1 with the keeper.

So I would say he deserved 6 for both his WFA and WFF.
electric_trigger
Seasoned Stat Maker

Postby electric_trigger » 2009 Nov 02, 19:34

I'm inclined to agree..Brezza what say you?
Brezza
PSD Loyalty Program Member

Postby Brezza » 2009 Nov 06, 17:26

Thanks for the video source :) which videos in particular are you talking about though? From what I gather he seemed comfortable enough to have to have 5 for but i'm not sure about 6 as it's above average. The goals he scored with his right peg seemed like pretty easy chances.
Plava Čigra
Valued Contributor

Re: Jimmy GREAVES | 1961-1966

Postby Plava Čigra » 2010 Feb 05, 23:47

Brezza already gave Greaves a pretty good update.

I've just added some Additional Links, more Videos, Growth type and Attack/Defence Awareness Card.

Growth type can be discussed, but it is my opinion that if he gets Early peak or Standard Growth type, his Abilities may start to deteriorate too early. That's why I've assigned him Early/Lasting.

@Brezza

Although I agree with your decrease in passing stats and Mentality, I somehow think that Greaves maybe needs a low green value for TW (or at least value near green area). I agree that TW: 79 was too high, but he had to have solid understanding of his teammates moves in order to score goals. Although, I'm writing all this without testing Greaves, so it might be irrelevant if you've tested him and if he works fine with current TW (70). ;)

Thanks in advance for the explanation. :)
andykeikei
New Contributor

Re: Jimmy GREAVES | 1961-1966

Postby andykeikei » 2010 Feb 09, 10:03

I think Greaves was more than a great poacher. Not only he had solid understanding of his teammates, he would also drift left or right to create. His passes were not mainly simple passes/lay off (like Lineker, Owen) either. Usually he dropped back a little to receive passes, then turned, tried to dribble past opponents with his speed and quick feet (the stats reflect this really well with 87 and 88 for DS and agility). Its true that he looked to shoot first, but sometimes he would also made some through passes if his teammates had a great run towards the box. Therefore, I think Greaves's SPA got to be higher than Owen and Lineker. A green value would be fine imo.

Besides, I think his FK and LPA could use a little raise too. I have seen some England's matches in which he took those long FKs (sometimes even corners) before Bobby Charlton.

And Brezza, I agree with 5 for his WFA. However, I think he used his weak foot more than someone like Rooney (who would try to avoid his weak foot pretty obviously, so he always cut back inside to shoot when he was on the left).
Alex
Regular Poster

Re: Jimmy Greaves | 1961-1966

Postby Alex » 2019 Oct 10, 18:47

Vs. Atletico Madrid Cup Winners Cup final 1962/1963:
https://youtu.be/utH-FYohOeE.
Whoah10115
Seasoned Stat Maker

Postby Whoah10115 » 2019 Nov 13, 19:20

So his ATT is on par with Kylian Mbappe?

Utter proof of Mbappe's being overrated.

But also a fact of Greaves being underrated here. He was more than a poacher, which helps, but he was an absurd goalscorer for literally over a decade. 95 doesn't represent him well enough, even with the stars and SA.
Moysís
Regular Poster

Postby Moysís » 2021 Sep 19, 11:25

RIP Jimmy.. greatest ever striker from the British island..

Return to “60's”