DMF1: Michael Bradley
DMF2: Marky Delgado
CMF: Jonathan Osorio
RMF: Nick DeLeon
AMF: Alejandro Pozuelo
CF: Jozy Altidore

Captain: Bradley
Short Free Kick: Pozuelo
Long Free Kick: Pozuelo / Bradley (delivery)
Free Kick 2: None
Left Corner: Pozuelo
Right Corner: Pozuelo
Penalty: Pozuelo / Osorio / Altidore

Players to go up: Moor, Mavinga

Oriello
PSD Loyalty Program Member

Re: Toronto FC - Formation & Tactics / Team Discussion Thread

Postby Oriello » 2018 Feb 28, 04:14

I was going to make only a "Team Discussion Thread" like juve forum has, but I realized it will be most likely me talking to myself, so I am going to make instead a Formations & Tactics thread, combined with a free area to talk TFC stuff without clogging up player's threads.

I might make one of those "Club Name" Threads, listing kit, stadium, honours, players etc. in the future if I can be bothered - I rarely even use those so I am unsure of their purpose (I don't want to spend energy updating it).

Anyways, TFC started the new season, easing past Colorado over two legs. First match in Colorado was a grind, the conditions were rough, -13 C at altitude and the pitch was frozen in a poor state with ruts everywhere, TFC played subdued, avoided going behind thanks to Bono and Bradley interventions and both goals came kinda out of nowhere.

The second leg tonight, TFC were happy to just stay in their own half passing amongst themselves, had maybe 5 forays forward and 3 close efforts on goal in the first half, not much more in the second half. Midfield and Defence was sloppy, particularly Delgado, gave the ball away too much. They were in complete control and just looking to suffocate Colorado out of the tie.

FORMATION - 4-4-2/5-3-2 - Vanney is trying some total voetball crazy shifting of positions in possession, how they line-up;

-------------------------Bono-----------------------
------------------------------------------------------
--Auro----------Moor-------Hagglund----Morrow
----------------------Bradley------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------
----------Delgado--Vazquez--Osorio-------------
-------------------------------------------------------
----------------Altidore--Giovinco

In Possession it's looked like this

-------------------------Bono--------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------
---------------Bradley-------Vazquez------------------
--Moor---------------------------------------Osorio/(Hagglund)
-------------Delgado-----------------------------------------
---Auro----------------Altidore-----Hagglund-------------
--------------------------------------------------Morrow-
-----------------------Giovinco

Like WTF is this shit!?!? Bradley and Vazquez are deep playmakers/CB positon, Moor becomes a wide right fullback, Morrow becomes left winger, Osorio covers at LB, Hagglund normally LB but tonight went for a jog off frame up field :lol: , and Altidore is near the centre circle. :lol: he also was on either wing a times. I really hope Toronto keep this crazy stuff up this season, keeping this fresh and new. It was not working wonders, but was bizarrely eclectic - like some thesis on football by Vanney. He did state he wanted to experiment away from the norm they grew to know, to be tactically flexible in the CONCACAF CL.

Bono - Impressed me in both legs, he already looks better than end of last season. This guy might be something, like maybe worthy of a move to European club in the future. Multiple good saves both matches, he killed a 1 vs 1 first leg and had constant communication with the back line, was good on crosses. Looks like a strong point for the coming season.

Aketxe - debuted tonight, subbed on in second half for Osorio, and looks like an interesting signing. Nice sharp little passes, good movement,
maybe a bit slow over space - but a really intriguing young player to have in the midfield. A completely different player than the retired Cheyrou, who offered that class off the bench, but he really might add to the mid...Though TFC still lacks a back-up for Bradley at DMF that Cheyrou could do. (Atletico cancelled Aketxe his contract to allow him the "move", but there is an option to re-sign him from TFC)

Giovinco - lacking some pace, maybe losing a step or two, or it might be early season lag, still crafty, agile but slow. Freekicks 3 tonight (non first leg), one hit the wall (a head), 1 hit a swinging arm in the wall and the shot deflected slightly but was saved, and the last was maybe 10 cm wide of the left top corner...also had a delivery into the box that created a 1-1 volley for Mavinga from 5 meters out but he skyed it.. I have feeling Giovinco might be equalling last seasons freekick records he himself set. Looks good overall, making danger.

Auro - looks competent, decent touch, passing is a bit meh (though his cutback cross assissted Giovinco's goal), good pace. If Van der Wiel never gets, fit, TFC might be fine.

Altidore - absent first leg, largely absent tonight (went down strangely under no contact, was 'vomiting'??) had maybe 3 moments of solid danger , needs to sort himself out that Form 2 was spot on :lol:

Bradley, very subdued, playing basically as the third CB instead of DMF, really deep and the other two real CBs keep splitting wide, not venturing into the other half at all basically, unless Colorado were completely inside their own box. Saved a goal in the first leg after Vazquez used his passing skills to play a Colorado forward on goal https://youtu.be/WKrCYOVzCEQ?t=2m5s :lol: .

Delgado - really poor both matches, must improve, was a mainstay last season, there is solid options on bench if he continues these poor displays.

Osorio - goal in first leg, and decent display in both matches with good moments, hope he continues like this.

Hagglund/Moor - need to get sharper, not quite at their usual levels, TFC were not under immense pressure and Bono still had more work to do than he should have...still zero goals conceded in two matches.

Vazquez - playing a bit within himself, had opportunities to play a killer ball but turned away and played safe stuff, dropping waaaayy deep, like I mentioned above he joins the centre backs. Lots of hustle from him, good energy levels. Gave possession away too many times though.

Morrow - Solid.
Oriello

Postby Oriello » 2018 Mar 14, 05:01

Used that 4-4-2 vs Columbus in the home opener in MLS and lost 0-2. lol

Buildup was bad and without a clear pattern, and the team was generally off that day, lack of focus from lots of players. They hit the woodwork twice (Gio and Aketxe) and Altidore went just wide - just not their day. Vazquez somehow got injured under no contact (this was horrible with Tigres days away).

VS Tigres, Vanney went back to the known 3-5-2 of last season, TFC, in respect of the Mexican side, played more cagey than a normal MLS game (often they run rampant in an ultra aggressive way where the formation looks more 3-3-4). Tigres got a goal early in the second half, TFC managed to stage a comeback at home with a 90th min winner from an Osorio backheel :lol: . Overall it was a much more cohesive display largely due to the return to familiar roles on the field.

Just managed to squeak by Tigres on away goals, they again played 3-5-2 and kept Tigres from threatening Bono in any real way. TFC went ahead through an own goal, and via a Giovinco FK were 2-1 up, but Tigres (1 loss in the last 28 home games) really turned up the intensity and TFC's backline could not cope, let in another goal and conceded a penalty in the 90th (van der Wiel's hands were along his body from close range, ref was harsh). Really they managed the game nicely, did well to navigate past them...now I think they get Club America next.

The defensive 3-5-2 in both legs;
-------------------------Bono--------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------
----------Zavaleta*----Moor----Mavinga**----------
van der Wiel*--------Bradley---------------Morrow**
----------------Delgado***---------Osorio---------------
----------------------------------------------------------
-----------------Altidore-----------------------------------
--------------------------------Giovinco

1st leg *Auro & Hagglund on late for van der Wiel and Zavaleta respectively, 2nd leg **Auro & **Hagglund on for Morrow and Mavinga respectively. *** Vazquez dealing with some injury only seen late minutes for Delgado both games.

Zavaleta plays because of nepotism, he is the nephew of Vanney - there is no other reason Hagglund does not start. I see the chat in matches its of the same opinion, Zavaleta is a weak link (despite Hagglund idiot pass inside box leading to a goal today, should have just cleared).

Bono good reaction moments both matches, had a good 1-1 save vs Gigniac, still showed his llimits, does not cover the whole goal well, lacks jump/dive ability.
Oriello

Postby Oriello » 2018 Apr 11, 05:30

"Our league competes with leagues in Europe, and obviously the MLS is wanting to catch the Mexican league to also compete with the leagues in Europe in the future," Miguel Herrera before the first leg.

I hope Toronto has taken the steps to be thought of as "equals" of Mexican opposition in Herrera's eyes.

After early season musings with that weird 4-4-2 experiment that fell flat in MLS, TFC have reverted to the good ol' 3-5-2 (5-3-2 in CL), been a bit less rampant this seasons thus far, still finding their gear in MLS. Reaching the final with the injury crisis, with Vazquez, Mavinga, and Morrow have all been missed in multiple matches, it really is a wonderful achievement by this team, have a strong group that plays for one another, even the new draftees of Auro and van der Wiel have managed to integrate and share the intensity of the rest.

Having watched the RBYN and Guadalajara matches, I feel that TFC will be too strong, especially if the missing players are available and also due to the final being a two leg affair - it's more difficult for the upset...I hope I am not going to be eating my own quote like Herrera :oops: .
Oriello

Postby Oriello » 2018 Apr 18, 02:40

Oriello wrote:Having watched the RBYN and Guadalajara matches, I feel that TFC will be too strong, especially if the missing players are available and also due to the final being a two leg affair - it's more difficult for the upset...I hope I am not going to be eating my own quote like Herrera :oops: .
:lol: damn that second goal made things difficult, I think they can score at least once away but might not be capable of some of the comebacks in the UEFA CL we seen these past weeks.

Vazquez is missed immensely, there is no link man between defense and attack, these long ground balls to a dropping Altidore worked a few times, but Chivas quickly got smart to it and just intercepted it from then, if Vazquez is not back for the 25th TFC I don't think can dominate the match enough to get a win away - they've been relying on being an absorbing and counter side vs Mexican teams, except now Chivas have a lead and themselves are solid defensive unit that is good at keeping goals out, bad recipe for TFC.

Damn that Auro can't pass for shit, constantly giving the ball away under no pressure, his SPA is like 62 and LPA 64 - if not worse.

Delgado too guilty of all kinds of silly errors. Osorio continues his scoring run in CL. Moor engaging in some Beckenbauer runs to substitute for the lack of authority in TFC's midfield. Morrow was subbed on, but looks out of shape, I swear I seen a gut against his shirt in the wind past his chest and his neck and face look rounder - this was a lean motherfucker - got injured and ate one too many pizzas (he is some foodie or something).
vinnie

Postby vinnie » 2018 Apr 18, 18:56

where is vazquez? he is indeed sorely missed. tfc needs more technical quality such as what he has to control the play and move the team forward.

guadelajara were very good defensively, despite that tfc made a few good chances. generally pizzarro had a huge influence driving the ball forward and throwing tfc's defence into dissarray anytime he picked up the ball.

tfc is in trouble now i agree, probably at around 25% chance of advancing now. it's the lack of midfield control. without that steadying figure like vazquez, they have to overcommit players forward, leaving them highly vulnerable to counterattacks.

winning the second leg while scoring at least 2 goals is not impossible for tfc, though it's a serious uphill climb.
If you don't put effort into your post, i won't put effort in my response.
Oriello

Postby Oriello » 2018 Apr 19, 01:14

vinnie wrote:where is vazquez?

When I mentioned it earlier in the thread, he got some lower back injury under no contact vs Columbus in the first game of MLS, subbed on late vs Tigres but apparently aggravated it and has not featured since, been traveling with the squad just not making the field or bench - he was a/the key component that TFC managed to be so competitive last season, as his presence meant even if Altidore and Gio were missing TFC were still dangerous, without him though they perform weakly, barely any service, which was the glaring problem of 2015 and 2016 seasons.

Osorio is the closest in fitting the mold, but he would need to have a great night and be played at the tip of a diamond mid, currently he is shuttling too much on the left CMF role and far too deep too often covering for a high LWB/LB who rarely is getting any service themselves. The 4-4-2 used vs Seattle in the MLS playoffs final, where TFC dominated them, that is the only option, the 5-3-2 is too passive and reactionary in CL this year. Keep Auro and his errant passes on the bench, not sure who would play left CMF if Osorio at AMF, as Hasler has looked a bit slow and disconnected with the team, and Aketze too is disconnected from the team's style, he plays wrong, on his own frequency - but has a great shot and has struck the crossbar at least twice and almost scored a few screamers..there actually is a lack of quality to turn to for the mid, unlike last year with both Cooper and Cheyrou who were strong quality to have.

vinnie wrote:tfc is in trouble now i agree, probably at around 25% chance of advancing now. it's the lack of midfield control. without that steadying figure like vazquez, they have to overcommit players forward, leaving them highly vulnerable to counterattacks.
advancing? These are the end times! It's a two-legged final :lol: ...unless you meant to FIFA club world cup.

The 3-5-2 they played at home last season often was actually similar to what they did last night a bit, they've just been much more defensive this season in CL. In MLS they stretched the play in width whilst the midfield space was compressed vertically, Moor would be in the centre circle being aggressive to win the ball back, Bradley the cover/deep playmaker beside him, the two wide CBs turned into pseudo SBs and the WBs became wingers alongside Giovinco and Altidore, it sort of looked 3-3-4 in possession and it would just overload teams, Vazquez would float wherever in the chaos, opponents could not track all the streaming players into the box, in my eyes they've yet to hit those levels again this year. Yeah it did leave them incredibly open to the counter and it was punished vs slow Zavaleta and Moor - Mavinga's flank the only secure one, but so much more often teams just ended up wilting and collapsing under the pressure.

Chivas will bunker as a default when they have the lead as I seen vs Red Bulls, and Red Bulls just lacked a bit of luck/finishing in the final third that night but otherwise outshot them 20-1, I think if TFC can pin them into their box, they can crack them, gonna have to risk it, TFC is too slow to continually try to play the counter, its just not working because the speedy legs are not there.

It really hinges on Vazquez being back or not (and fit to play), otherwise it's as you say low probability for Toronto. I too think they can score a goal or two away, not so sure about keeping a clean sheet though in Mexico.
Oriello

Postby Oriello » 2018 Apr 26, 04:13

Something like 6 or 7 defensive players injured for the second leg final, a very makeshift team put out;

-------------------------------Bono------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------van der Wiel --- Bradley -------------------------
-------Auro-----------------------------------------Morgan----------
----------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------Osorio----------------------------
---------Delgado--------------------------------------------------
-Hasler----------------------------------------------Vazquez-----
----------------------Altidore---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------Giovinco-------------

Bradley was withdrawn to CB alongside van der Wiel, this meant there was no DMF - as there is no other such player in the squad - Bradley is slow as a turtle over the first few meters but otherwise a very good tackler and decent at CB but sorely missed as midfield cover. There was no real shape to the TFC mid, the centre looked empty as neither Delgado or Osorio had clear roles or positions and switched sides and seemed to wander chaotically to little offensive effect, Vazquez lacking fitness was isolated to the left wing and exhibited limited mobility and influence on the game, Hasler focused himself as a wide outlet and leter into the match ventured into different parts of the pitch to try to offer some movement in a very static attack. ffs Hasler was not one of the rested players, unlike most of the first team who did not play MLS games and travelled early to Mexico to acclimatize to temps and altitude - yet he looked the most fit - fucking Gio and Altidore look done, don't understand why they struggle physically so much.

Bono had a blunder in the first leg with the freekick he let in, but had a decent overall outing tonight - no heroics on his part in the shootout - but a bright spot for the rest of the season, I have no doubt he will continue to grow.

Auro has been alright (though his passing is on GK level, worse than many TFC II players from USL) and very needed as it has allowed van der Wiel to play CB during this prolonged injury crisis - the dutchman looked a bit more shaky in the centre of a back 4 but otherwise aquitted himself well in the role, a definite option for the rest of the season due to his unexpected utility.

Morgan, wow, slower now but he has been solid, good tracking/tackling, just a reliable player who really stepped up in the past couple of weeks. Morrow tweaked a calf (and looks 20 lbs overweight) in his sub performance last match, Morgan might be able to make a deeper impression and claim the LB berth for good in the coming weeks, has done nothing wrong.

Eventually after Hasler was subbed (?why?) and then Vazquez the shape looked like;

----------------------------------Bono---------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------Auro----van der Wiel-----Bradley-------Morgan-------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------Delgado----------Osorio------Chapman-------------------
-----------------------------Altidore-------------------------------------
-------------------------Hamilton-----------------------------------------
------------------------------------------Giovinco---------------------------

Altidore ended up as some sort of AMF defending deep, and trying to get up to win long balls, covering too much ground and pulling a hamstring doing so, Aketze was subbed on and went to wide right mid, TFC managed to carve out a couple late chances to win it but could not get the shots on target.

Again they lose a final on penalties (2016 MLS cup vs Seattle) and again Bradley missed..Osorio did not help - he apparently has been infected by Zaza and suffers from stutter step bullshit - if your legs are sore and tired, why the fuck would you dance up to kick? Just focus on placement.

A very deep squad by MLS standards, which allowed for that unprecedented domestic treble last season, was stretched too thin this season with CL, hopefully they can refocus and mount a defense of their titles, would have been fodder for Cronaldo and Ramos anyways, in Japan.

Well done anyways for a team missing too many of the main men that succeeded last year. _tick
vinnie

Postby vinnie » 2018 Apr 26, 04:49

yeah losing drew moor was brutal, i thought toronto wouldn't survive with a makeshift bradley defence. the miss by delgado is agonizing, but toronto did very well in battling to even get to shoot out.

even though osorio missed his pk, i've been impressed by him these last two seasons. a neat player on the ball, with good energy, good focus, and he's been generally a positive presence for the team whenever i've seen them.

victor vazquez's return was a big relief for the midfield, he did well considering his inactivity.

hassler has done well too.

i think toronto needs better midfielders if vazquez can't overcome his injury problems looking forward to future CONCACAF CL campaigns. they've lost almost all of their typical control over the tempo of a match like they enjoy in the MLS, and i actually felt they were slightly fortunate through their victories against CA america and UANL.

i see absolutely nothing useful about that cuetxaxetzykad player from bilbao by the way. at least so far, he's made very very little impact any time i've seen him. i expect much more out of someone imported from la liga, he's been sub-par instead.

nevertheless, tornoto have a great core to build on if they keep going. the rest of the season will be tough with how much they've sacrificed for this CL campaign though.
If you don't put effort into your post, i won't put effort in my response.
Oriello

Postby Oriello » 2018 Apr 26, 20:40

Aketxe has indeed been unimpressive, has a nice shot but little else, only the "aura" of having played in La Liga. The Barca youth products in Kansas right now Ilie and Lobato show how that it really matters the kind of youth tutelage you get, they are good players in MLS and integrated easily and mesh well into the system ... Aketxe might prosper in a different system - one of those annoying unadaptable players, there is some glimmer to little moves he does that seems there is more there, but I don't know where he is best suited.

TFC never got a good replacement, or any replacement for retired Cheyrou so DMF spot is only Bradley, which is silly - not just that the drop in quality on standby for midfield, but that there is no player available!!..Liam Fraser recently played a few MLS matches, but to me he seems more a CMF like Delgado, it was an area that was not addressed - need a proper sub for that space.

I agree vs Tigres and America they were outplayed in the middle and played very reactionary style, It was mostly Vanney doing a bit of Allegri and going defensive mode in knock out games, as was the case in MLS play offs last season where he changed the team into their secondary 4-4-2 diamond and grinded out results. This was compounded with the unexpected injuries. I still think if TFC were full strength like last season, they would have made a better showing in the CL, maybe if not winning it, they could have played better football consistently over each match - really have yet to find the same stride as they had a few months ago.

Osorio I've been really impressed with this season, he for me last season seemed to falter with Vazquez coming in and forcing him to be be more of a bench player who had to compete with Cooper and Delgado - he looked worse than 2016ish season, he sorted himself out, probably more mental than anything, and the second half of the season put in better performances - was a bit lazy for me still - but played well enough to warrant a spot in the diamond mid when TFC did play 4-4-2. This season he has really worked hard not just during matches but in improving his tackling, he is better than Delgado now in my opinion, a much more rounded player, still too slow to be really useful and gets stuck/left behind too deep inside his own half as plays develop up field - him being faster/fitter would be much more helpful to making him an effective player...read something about him learning to accept a new deeper role for TFC, from Vanney and with Canada taking on more responsibility - talent's always been there with this kid, just his mental frame of mind has limited him.

Some pace in mid would be nice, Cooper did not fit the system and style Vanney wanted but he was dangerous from his speed and dribbling and offered something different from the bench to shake things up, would have been really useful vs the Mexican sides, but what ever, homogeneity was preferable I guess by Vanney.
Oriello

Postby Oriello » 2018 May 12, 21:30

Descent to madness continues, another loss at home to a second string Seattle who played 5-4-1 bunker mode (who themselves were frustrated at home last weekend by a Columbus side who played bunker mode after an early red card in the 15th).

TFC for the second match played (**Hasler injured for Seattle so Chapman started);

----------------------------------Bono---------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------Auro----van der Wiel-----Bradley-------Morgan-------------
-------------------------Delgado-------------------------
---------------------------------Aketze---------------------------------
-Chapman(Hasler**)--------------------------Osorio-------Vazquez---
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------Giovinco-------------------------------------

Same makeshit backline that leaks goals since every player keeps getting broken, now Altidore is out for 6 weeks or something. Aketze's been a deep CMF dropping deep to play the ball up, apparently since he struggles so much under pressure and playing with his back to goal up front, Vanney wants to give him the space/time so he can be comfortable - still is underwhelming , if anything that shooting that was intiailly impressive has turned to crap, he is just trying so hard to prove he is valuable that he over plays and his moments turn to shit.

Giovinco actually looked better phyiscally, a bit more in his ACC/step, still dropping like a fly at the slightest touch, but at least not being anonymous due to having no speed, hope this improves.

Osorio continues to play well. Delgado is not a DMF and does not play like one despite being in that "position", midfield has no shape, the 4 AMF are all over the place playing on top of one another. Vazquez is getting his fitness back and finally making some plays reminiscent of last season, maybe if players stop getting injured TFC might be able to win a match, hoping for the best.
Oriello

Postby Oriello » 2018 Aug 30, 04:35

Some fun facts from commentators tonight;

TFC has used 32 different players this season, due to the massive injury crisis, most of any team in the league

TFC midfield has committed the lowest amount of fouls of any team in MLS.

Bradley averages 90 (something) passes a match most of any player in MLS, 10 more passes per game than the next highest player in MLS.

vs Portland away, 7 starters rested;
------------------Irwin
----Hagglund-Bradley-Morrow
Chapman---------------------Telfer
----------Delgado-Fraser
------Bakero-Altidore-Jansson
Oriello

Postby Oriello » 2019 Jan 26, 15:56

What an off-season so far, Vazquez wanting to leave since he can't be guaranteed to be starter. Now van der Wiel;

"Sources: Gregory van der Wiel has been ‘removed from Toronto FC camp’ after an altercation with Greg Vanney for insubordination. Will never play for the team again. Some within the club explored options of possibly releasing him in the offseason over character concerns."

And Hagglund transferred to Cinncinatti, Ricketts gone, Giovinco rumours going to Saudi league. Lost the GM to Columbus - replaced with a guy from Red Bulls that has a rep for bringing youth through rather than spending on older talent, quite the off season so far.
Oriello

Postby Oriello » 2019 Mar 30, 14:07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP16tSPHZis 10 mins highlights of TFC vs NYCFC, 1 disallowed goal for TFC not shown

TFC exhibiting shades of the 2017 team that played with crazy dutch like movement and confidence. First time in club history they have started a season with 3 wins in a row. Crashing out of CCL was a blessing, instead of trying to juggle two competitions with a squad in transition, they can now focus on MLS alone (also had an extra week off to train as it was anticipated they would have advanced in CCL, and the growing cohesivness was visible in their interchanges between the weeks.). The Defence is still a little shakey, but having not played together at all last season, they are re-finding their groove from 2017.

I thought I would not want to watch TFC anymore, since they would devolve into a shit show like last season and they shipped off Vazquez and Giovinco, but they also got rid of toxic van der Wiel, and brought in Ciman (playing like utter shit, but a huge locker room leader/personality). And they are sorting themselves out, and recapturing what made them "the best team in MLS history" (crazy interchanging movement), this Pozuelo, I am willing to pay and see him play, fuck I think there will be less empty seats in coming weeks.

Oh yeah Played a sort of 4-4-2 (Pozuelo was AMF in possesion, free to roam, but in defensive phase lined up along side Altidore on left in a 4-4-2 block.).
Oriello

Postby Oriello » 2019 Apr 07, 18:57

Updated with recent foramtion sicne Poluzuelo arrived. Its a 4-4-2 on paper, but in reality Pozuelo roams and drops below half way line or goes wide on a wing, Morrow is given complete license to act as late poacher besides giving width, Osorio is nominally a wide mid, but comes central, makes runs on goal/target in box, covers a little for Morrow, sometimes is highest player forward when Altidore is in the mid.

Before Pozuelo was with the team, TFC played;

4-3-3 vs Independiente La Chorrera, away first game of season, team did not know how to work the system
4-4-2 vs Independiente La Chorrera, home Akinola partnered Altodire, Chapman and Ososrio interchanged, functional
5-4-1 vs Philly, away Bradley was given freedom to do what he did so well in 2015, churned out a win without a few starters
4-4-2 vs New England, home same as before with the diamond mid
Oriello

Postby Oriello » 2019 Apr 14, 03:55

https://youtu.be/SLsUWfx_pTk?t=51
https://youtu.be/SLsUWfx_pTk?t=277

These two are forming a great partnership. Giovinco was treated and played as goal scorer more often than a creator, Pozuelo seems mostly focused on unlocking things with passes, won't shy from shooting, but looking first to make things for others, Altidore will feast this season - 5 goals in 4 matches thus far.

3-5-1-1 in first half, Zavaleta was subbed off at half time after being exposed for lack of pace, TFC switched to 4-4-1-1 for second half with DeLeon going to RB and Chapman taking "DeLeon's" wide right mid role.

Ciman is done son, his brain is on vacation. He is a liability at the back, he almost equalized late off the post with a long range shot, imo he needs to only be played in mid, as some free DMF/libero who can go forward and try things in attack, since he has some ability to make danger, but he also makes too mcuh danger in his own half with mental lapses, terrible decsions to tackle early and leave huge holes, or give the ball away - he would be better with someone cleaning up his mistakes behind him (he still would be liable for a yellow/red the way he tackles full force).

Return to “Toronto FC”