Nickname: "Scholesy " | "Ginger Prince "

Club: Manchester Utd

Growth Type: [b]Early/Lasting

- 2008-2010:

Club: Manchester United

INFO:

Spoiler: show
Paul Scholes has quietly and unobtrusively gone about the business of establishing himself as one of the most highly rated players of the Premier League era, garnering fulsome plaudits from team-mates and opponents for his all-round ability.

France international Patrick Vieira, a combative opponent in many heated tussles with rivals Arsenal, often nominated Scholes as ‘the best passer in English football', a theme echoed by Sir Bobby Charlton , who once said: ‘Paul is always so in control and pin-point accurate with his passing - a beautiful player to watch.'

His ability to read and then break up the opposition's pattern of play once prompted Sir Alex to describe Scholes as ‘a right nuisance'. Courageous, too. When he had to put his foot in, he was ‘tough and resilient', a player who never shirks a tackle, said Roy Keane, his long-time midfield partner.

Going forward, Scholes was once described by his manager as ‘the best finisher in the club'. In recent seasons, the outstanding range of his contribution was highlighted when he adapted with aplomb - and without fuss - to a deeper, more defensive role in midfield.

VIDEOS:

ADDITIONAL LINKS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Scholes

http://www.givemefootball.com/player-pr ... ul-scholes

http://www.nationalfootballmuseum.com/p ... choles.htm

http://www.footballdatabase.com/index.p ... ul_Scholes

Last edited by Brezza on 2009 Aug 05, 22:14, edited 16 times in total.
Mr RVN

Re: Paul SCHOLES | 1998-1999

Postby Mr RVN » 2009 May 08, 21:25

Name: Paul Aaron Scholes

Club: Manchester United
Number: 18
Position: *AMF, CMF, SS
Nationality: English _eng
Era: 1998/1999

Foot: R
Side: B

Height: 170 cm
Weight: 71 kg

Attack: 85
Defence: 60
Balance: 79
Stamina: 90
Top Speed: 80
Acceleration: 78
Response: 90
Agility: 85
Dribble Accuracy: 83
Dribble Speed: 79
Short Pass Accuracy: 86
Short Pass Speed: 86
Long Pass Accuracy: 88
Long Pass Speed: 89
Shot Accuracy: 84
Shot Power: 94
Shot Technique: 84
Free Kick Accuracy: 75
Curling: 77
Header: 85
Jump: 92
Technique: 86
Aggression: 88
Mentality/Tenacity: 92
Goalkeeper Skills: 50
Team Work: 82

Injury Tolerance: B
Form/Condition/Fitness: 8
Weak Foot Accuracy: 5
Weak Foot Frequency: 4
Consistency: 7
Growth type: Early/Lasting

CARDS:
P13: Long Ranger
P17: Free Roaming
S01: Reaction
S02: Passer
S05: 1-touch Play
S06: Outside curve

SPECIAL ABILITIES:
*Positioning
*Reaction
*Passing
*Middle Shooting
*Centre
*1-Touch Pass
*Outside

Attack/Defence Awareness Card: Attack Minded

INFO:

Ahhh, Pauly Scholes, back when he ran around like a lunatic and was by far far away the best Centre Mid England had. He was by no means the teamworker he is now, but there was no need for him to be so, as he was a magician who could set up and score goals with ease, particularly off his head, where the lad could fly. That said, he never was fast, but he made up for it with incredible stamina. If only he'd been at the champions league final, he'd probably be regarded as one of England's finest ever.

VIDEOS:

Brezza

Re: Paul SCHOLES | 2002-2005

Postby Brezza » 2009 May 19, 16:34

What value do you suggest probably the same as Fat Frank on 84?
Jez

Postby Jez » 2009 May 19, 20:46

yeah id go with that
im surprised it hasnt ever been mentioned in the current scholes thread though
"DEBT IS THE ROAD TO RUIN" David Gill August 2004

My blog is back, check it out! www.mybeautifulgame1.wordpress.com
Brezza

Postby Brezza » 2009 May 22, 13:02

Yeah, theres a couple of things i disagree with in the Scholes thread, im going to wait patiently for Gooner's update though. :mrgreen:
Brezza

Postby Brezza » 2009 Jun 11, 09:00

Updated based on Goonerlover's and this sites recent update. 8-)
p1rha

Postby p1rha » 2009 Jun 11, 23:46

I guess u overdid it with the pass stats there. Checked Lamp's stats and i see that his passing skills are inferior to Scholes, wich imo is at least debatable.
I would sugest something like high yellow or plain 90.
Also response, balance and technique/DA may be a little overated.

The way i've always seen Scholes is as a real box-to-box with exceptional attacking abilities, high workrate and a magic relation with man u supporters. Well, it's not really magical, in fact is quite simple: a player of his quality providing consistent high performance through all these years has to be admired.
But i don't see him as a playmaker.
Tom

Postby Tom » 2009 Jul 03, 07:59

p1rha wrote:IThe way i've always seen Scholes is as a real box-to-box with exceptional attacking abilities, high workrate and a magic relation with man u supporters. Well, it's not really magical, in fact is quite simple: a player of his quality providing consistent high performance through all these years has to be admired.
But i don't see him as a playmaker.

Then you haven't watched Paul Scholes properly. His phenomenal passing ability and his ability to control the tempo of a match is the very reason why his retirement from the England National Team was devastating and it's the very reason why Ferguson has built many Manchester United teams around him. He's arguably the best English passer of the ball of the last decade with many fans and pundits claiming that his short passing and long passing ability is better than David Beckham. I'm honestly shocked that you don't believe that Scholes has world-class passing ability, he's proved this throughout his career and it stands out more than his finishing ability does!

Response is too high, I agree with you there.
But as for his Balance, you have to look at his diminutive height/weight and realise the effect that that has on his overall strength. Plus, Scholes is strong, what are you going on about?
As for his Technique, his first touch is of a similar calibre to Fabregas. He can pluck a ball out of the air or on the ground with such ease that you'd think he was Brazilian.
And his Dribble Accuracy, I'm appalled that you're even considering a decrease. His ball control is simply Pirlo-esque!
p1rha

Postby p1rha » 2009 Jul 03, 13:30

He's arguably the best English passer of the ball of the last decade with many fans and pundits claiming that his (...) long passing ability is better than David Beckham.

C'mon... as much as i dislike Becks u can't be serious.

I think that comparing him to Pirlo is just too far fetched. I agree he deserves better TW than Pirlo, but the precision of the pass and dribble... not on the same league imo. But Scholes is a great distributor of the ball, but i feel like he goes for the easy play most of the times, maybe it's the english game. He has great vision, perfect understandment with his teamates, but his quite conservative in his play.
He was considered the best CMF from his time... But also Lamp. Imo they're at the same level with thry're respective diferences. And i think the hole u have on ur NT midfield is not due to lack of quality of the players, in fact u have 2 of the best CMFs in the world.

I was only suggesting a slight decrease in the passing ability... :oops:
Tom

Postby Tom » 2009 Jul 03, 19:05

Firstly, don't say "your national team". I'm Irish! :lol:

Secondly, you should seriously compare the long passes and short passes of Scholes and Beckham. Beckham was more lethal at producing laser accurate passes from dead-ball and crossing situations and is pretty good from deep, although he puts perhaps too much venom in his long passes, but Scholes produces phenomenal long-balls on the ground or around chest/head height. Honestly, you really should look at the video in the first post. Although it's not a true testament of his passing ability, it does encapsulate a few of his passes.

Yes, he goes for the easier play now, but we're talking about Classic Scholes here and he did produce hugely dangerous long passes. Like Lampard he could produce those defence destroying 60-yard passes, but he did it with a greater level of accuracy that inevitably resulted in an immediate goal or an assist to a goal.

And I was comparing his ball control to Pirlo, not his passing. But even then, Pirlo should have a 90 value for his DA, so Scholes isn't really close ;)
p1rha

Postby p1rha » 2009 Jul 03, 19:18

Firstly, don't say "your national team". I'm Irish! :lol:

Sorry ... :oops:

About Scholes passing ability i'm not saying he's ugely overated, just a little bit. But i may be wrong, it's just that i don't think there should be a significant gap between him and Lamp.
Comparing him to Becks... it's a matter of game vision. Scholes is much smarter, but Beckham was accurate as hell, not on the same league imo.
But i have to respect ur opinion, after all u probably have seen much more of him than i ever will.
Jez

Re: Paul SCHOLES | 2002/2003

Postby Jez » 2009 Aug 05, 16:49

i'm sure attack could be raised by a couple of points
i don't see that gerrard is any better now in this department than scholes was back then

also, i think SS can be added to positions. there was a time round about this era where he would be deployed as a support striker behind RvN to accommodate the likes of either veron or kleberson etc in midfield alongside keane. hence the higher goal tally this season, notably a hatrick against Newcastle?

Sui Generis

Re: Paul SCHOLES | 2002-2003

Postby Sui Generis » 2009 Aug 05, 21:28

wow what is with ppl going overboard with classic players? seriously SA 84, DA 87, SPA and LPA low 90's, :?....
Scholes was never this godly, it just looks stupid and it puts him above too many other players that were/are of similar skill.

These stats make him out to be a zidane, ronaldo, or ronaldinho ect, and while scholes was an amazing player, he simply wasn't that go to guy or THE star of the team...
Brezza

Postby Brezza » 2009 Aug 05, 21:43

Sui Generis wrote:
These stats make him out to be a zidane, ronaldo, or ronaldinho ect,

:lol: sure they do..

If you disagree with those values you stated I suggest reading Goonerlover's explanation and reasoning of his stats in this thread or in the current day Scholes thread.
I have lowered LPA by one in comparison to Xabi Alonso however. + raised attack/lowered response
p1rha

Postby p1rha » 2009 Aug 06, 13:11

I'd still go for alower value for BB, classic ronaldinho is at 85, maybe a plain 80 for Scholes. Montolivo, Arteta and Fabregas are 78 and they are taller, classic deco is 80 and he was fucking strong (not really muscle-like strong but balanced), very hard to knock down. To me 80 is really the maximum.
Phil

Re: Paul SCHOLES | 1998-1999 & 2002-2003

Postby Phil » 2010 Jan 12, 12:17

I know that nobody will probably agree with me but i think his TW could be raised and could even be a red number, his general awareness of the players around him, the way he always seems to be one step ahead of anybody else on the pitch because of his awesome vision and his constant ease to fit into any Man U team he has been in is astonishing. To be honest I'm not sure if Riquelme is that much superior to Scholes in this particular aspect, if at all.
p1rha

Postby p1rha » 2010 Jan 12, 14:33

I agree with u, in fact i think i had mentioned something about it somewere.

First of all, Riquelme is not such a TW reference to me, his greatest quality comes from his passing ability rather than his vision on off-the-ball movement. Scholes deserves to be upthere at the top of the scale because his understandment with the rest of the team allowed him to be a playmaker but also to be "playmaked", i mean, Scholes movement off-the-ball is fantastic, the way he apears at the front, and the way he moved in midfield were supreme. Also, some people regard Scholes as one of the best passers in his time and i think that's more due to his understandment of what is role in the team is than pure accuracy on his passes, because he usually kept it very simple.

I have him at 94, but i reckon it could be even higher.
Phil

Postby Phil » 2010 Jan 12, 16:14

I agree with your suggestion, I was thinking of a 94 or 95 TW for Scholes actually, and I agree with what you said about Riquelme, I forgot to mention that i think Riquelme could be lowered, I guess I didn't really make that clear, but I doubt he'll be lowered anytime soon.

I just noticed that Lampard is also on 92 so I think that's added incentive to raise his TW because I think he has Lampard beat at this, although I do rate Lampard highly in TW but I think there should be a gap between them.
Jez

Postby Jez » 2010 Jan 12, 20:30

Agree to a raise in teamwork

Phil

Postby Phil » 2010 Jan 12, 21:53

Just watched the video of his Top 10 goals and he's scored some beautiful goals especially No. 1 :shock: he hits that so well with such great control and technique, what a phenomenal player he's been for Man U over the years.

Return to “00's”