- 2001-2004:

Club: Liverpool FC

Growth type: Early Peak

- 2004-2005:

Club: Real Madrid

Growth Type: Early Peak

INFO:

Spoiler: show
In his pomp, Micheal Owen was among the most lethal players going around.

The son of Terry Owen, himself a handy forward sprung from Everton's ranks, Michael was raised in Hawarden, Wales. His record-breaking form at school level attracted the interest of several top-flight clubs and, despite his Goodison heritage, he snubbed the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United to join Liverpool's youth setup at the age of 14.

After graduating from the FA's Academy of Excellence at Lilleshall and winning the FA Youth Cup, Owen agreed professional terms with the Reds in 1996. He scored on his debut against Wimbledon later that season, but even that couldn't prepare the public for the impact he would have over the next 12 months.

With Robbie Fowler injured, the teenager was thrust into Roy Evans' starting XI during the 1997-98 campaign, and he did not disappoint. At the tender age of 18, he finished the season with as many goals to be the Premier League's joint-top scorer - in all competitions, his tally was 23 - and bagged the PFA Young Player of the Year award.

Owen stunned defences across the country with his lightning pace and instincts in the penalty area, so much so that Glenn Hoddle included him in the England squad for the 1998 World Cup. Brought along as back-up for Alan Shearer, Teddy Sheringham and Les Ferdinand, it was in France that he announced himself to the world.

Having scored as a substitute in the group-stage defeat to Romania, Owen started thereafter and led the line against Argentina in the last 16. It was in this clash that the young upstart scored arguably the goal of the tournament, making a fool of Roberto Ayala & Co. before searing the ball home from outside the 18-yard box. The Three Lions went out on penalties, but a new national hero was born.

In many ways, this marked the beginning of the end of the Kop's love affair with Owen. Although he continued to perform brilliantly for his club, the Scouse fans were suspicious of his England exploits. Many wondered if their star striker was merely using Liverpool as a vehicle for his international career. He wasn't helped by the fact his partnership with the much-maligned Emile Heskey forced the legendary Fowler to leave the club.

The peak of Owen's Anfield career came in 2001. Premier League honours still evaded him and the club, but that was all that escaped their grasp that year. The Reds claimed a unique treble, winning the UEFA Cup, League Cup and FA Cup, with Owen grabbing two late goals to down Arsenal in the latter final.

But his trophy count didn't stop there. After helping Liverpool win both the Charity Shield and the UEFA Super Cup - making it an incredible five trophies in a calendar year - Owen was named European Footballer of the Year, becoming the first Red to claim the accolade.

Michael Owen remains one of the most frightening and prolific strikers that Liverpool and England have ever produced. He might be a figure of scorn now - on Merseyside, Tyneside and nationwide - but his exploits over the past dozen years cannot be disputed. He has been one of the greatest poachers of his generation.

VIDEOS:

Spoiler: show

PES Stats Database

by »

Re: Michael OWEN | 1997/1998

Postby Nrby » 2009 Mar 20, 21:23

lfc 4 eva wrote:Was his pace really 96.
It seems strange that Henry and Owen from this period should have the same Top speed.
.... anybody. Another thing, he is 18 ffs
Attack 86, Shot accuracy 87

Was an 18 year old Michael Owen better than a 25 year old Fernando Torres?
Because these stats are saying he was.

the stats only say that he had much more potential ... the 18 year old Owen looked like going into history for sure ... and in the comparison 18 year old Owen with today's Torres ... Owen would win the athletic battle any time

Nrby

Postby lfc 4 eva » 2009 Mar 20, 21:27

Nrby wrote:
lfc 4 eva wrote:Was his pace really 96.
It seems strange that Henry and Owen from this period should have the same Top speed.
.... anybody. Another thing, he is 18 ffs
Attack 86, Shot accuracy 87

Was an 18 year old Michael Owen better than a 25 year old Fernando Torres?
Because these stats are saying he was.

the stats only say that he had much more potential ... the 18 year old Owen looked like going into history for sure ... and in the comparison 18 year old Owen with today's Torres ... Owen would win the athletic battle any time

Im not saying Owen wasn't quicker than Torres, but a better finisher? Better dribbler? I doubt it

lfc 4 eva

Postby Brezza » 2009 Mar 20, 21:32

Yeah id say shooting is exaggerated for an 18 year old Owen . Id say it should be compared with some of the wonderkids around today like Benzema rather than being on par with the best strikers in the database today.

For the record though I think Torres is underrated

" If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
Brezza

Postby lfc 4 eva » 2009 Mar 20, 21:35

Brezza wrote:Yeah id say shooting is exaggerated for an 18 year old Owen . Id say it should be compared with some of the wonderkids around today like Benzema. For the record though I think Torres is underrated.

As do I. Owen was a great natural finisher from birth whereas Torres learned the skill but hes one of the best finishers in the world right now.
Anyway Owen has better shooting stats on his 18y.o stats than his current day ones.

lfc 4 eva

Postby Mav42 » 2009 Mar 21, 10:08

I think that shot accuracy was almost an innate ability with Owen. When he was really flying - ball at his feet; top speed; adrenaline pumping - the only ever outcome was a goal. People mention the pace of the dribble when they talk about his goal against Argentina, but equally breathtaking was the way he clipped the ball past Carlos Roa into the far left corner of the net.

Forget how old he was - in 1997/1998 his goal return was that of a player with high shooting stats. Joint top scorer in the Premier League and three goals for England. The fact that he was 17/18 simply makes it more remarkable.

To fully exhibit Owen as he was then, I think shot accuracy could go up and shot technique (a far more practised skill that he would later add to his game) could go down. Even by a factor of 5 each way: 92 SA and 83 ST would not be a bad measure of the man in my view.

Mav42

Postby p1rha » 2009 Jun 04, 16:27

Top Speed: 96 :o
Acceleration: 97 :shock:

:lol:

p1rha

Postby lfc 4 eva » 2009 Jun 04, 16:38

p1rha wrote:Top Speed: 96 :o
Acceleration: 97 :shock:

:lol:

look at the first reply ;)
I agree though it is a bit too high.
TS should be 94 for me. His acceleration seems ok though.

lfc 4 eva

Postby Alcohomicide » 2009 Jun 05, 08:46

Mav42 wrote:I think that shot accuracy was almost an innate ability with Owen. When he was really flying - ball at his feet; top speed; adrenaline pumping - the only ever outcome was a goal. People mention the pace of the dribble when they talk about his goal against Argentina, but equally breathtaking was the way he clipped the ball past Carlos Roa into the far left corner of the net.

Forget how old he was - in 1997/1998 his goal return was that of a player with high shooting stats. Joint top scorer in the Premier League and three goals for England. The fact that he was 17/18 simply makes it more remarkable.

To fully exhibit Owen as he was then, I think shot accuracy could go up and shot technique (a far more practised skill that he would later add to his game) could go down. Even by a factor of 5 each way: 92 SA and 83 ST would not be a bad measure of the man in my view.

That's insane. 92 SA!?? 87 is already as good as David Villa, Anelka and Forlan. He was not at his peak for finishing at this point and even then 92 is far too kind. I am a Liverpool fan too and I have seen just about every goal he's scored at Senior level and even his U-19 goals.

SP has to be 79-80 very eary on he showed he could shoot from 25 yards, and it'll keep the rangers down as everyone will agree he liked to run at goal or poach.

"When we were winning leagues and European Cups at Real I always said Makelele was our most important player. There is no way myself Figo or Raúl would have been able to do what we did without Claude and the same goes for Liverpool and Gerrard."
Alcohomicide

Postby Jez » 2009 Jun 05, 11:24

that said, even in more recent times he's shown he can hit them from distance on occasion. the goal at Wembley last year against Russia I think and away at west ham this season he scored from the edge of the area with some decent power. I agree to the raise in SP though but not to the SA increase. ST could go down though when you look at the ladders, 88 is just slightly too much for me personally. I agree top speed could come down to 95/95 though

"DEBT IS THE ROAD TO RUIN" David Gill August 2004

My blog is back, check it out! www.mybeautifulgame1.wordpress.com
Jez

Postby Alcohomicide » 2009 Jun 05, 18:31

His SP increased in his 20's, so that's a different era. So, for the moment (more things will be analysed) My suggestions: -

TS - 94 (Agree with lfc, me and him spend a lot of time guaging players TS and we're agreed on this)
SA: 85 (Natural as fuck. His finishing was good, but not 87 hahaha. That's for his 20's, believe it or not his finishing did improve. Villa and Torres are one chance players. They often get few chances in a game and usually take them. The most Owen got in a season is actually quite pathetic compared with the likes of Forlan, Villa, Torres and Anelka, but we don't look at number of goals scored)
SP:79
ST:85 (Decent from tight angles, and as good as those at 85)

Thoughts?

"When we were winning leagues and European Cups at Real I always said Makelele was our most important player. There is no way myself Figo or Raúl would have been able to do what we did without Claude and the same goes for Liverpool and Gerrard."
Alcohomicide

Michael OWEN | 2004-2005

Postby BigStu » 2009 Sep 07, 12:09

** See Second Post **

add this to the first post please!

BigStu

Re: Michael OWEN | 1997-1998 & 2001-2004-2005

Postby Brezza » 2009 Sep 07, 18:01

Added. From now im putting separate sets of stats on individual posts by editing over them. That way its easier to link them to all star/era team. all important discussion will be quoted like Nrby did for lfc 4 eva already. :P

I prefer using peak stats for the first post and working down from there ;)

" If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
Brezza

Re: Michael OWEN | 1997-2005

Postby Fantasista » 2011 Aug 31, 20:57

He started losing speed when he was in mid 20' so in 97-99 and 01-04 he should have pretty the same ts&acc. Maybe there should be a littl difference but not 2 points in ts and 4 points in acc(while 2 of them are red). Da&Ds for teen Owen is definetely overrated. He was relying on pure speed back then, wasn't showing even a sign of brillant ball control. He just kicked and ran and nobody could catch him. Also I'm not so sure if he was that good in terms of response and header. I always considered him better in attack intelligence and positioning than in quick reaction.

we should try to be a little nice to newer members, even if they are retards
Fantasista

Postby Vickingo » 2011 Sep 02, 06:08

Fantasista wrote:He started losing speed when he was in mid 20' so in 97-99 and 01-04 he should have pretty the same ts&acc. Maybe there should be a littl difference but not 2 points in ts and 4 points in acc(while 2 of them are red). Da&Ds for teen Owen is definetely overrated. He was relying on pure speed back then, wasn't showing even a sign of brillant ball control. He just kicked and ran and nobody could catch him. Also I'm not so sure if he was that good in terms of response and header. I always considered him better in attack intelligence and positioning than in quick reaction.

I was thinking exactly the same of you about RESP, over all when he was just appearing in the football world, in his youngest era (1997-1998). BTW, his game in 98' WC vs Argentina, must be one of the bests in his career, he was just...imparable, Ayala still dreams with his feints and speed :lol: But also agree with you in DA/DS, no doubts that he was a more than decent dribbler, a well dribbler, but he based all his style of playing in his speed, as you said, he kicked the ball and run with his godless speed, he was extremedaly weak and thin in that era, but I'm not sure about his dribble abilities, I mean, about how closer to his foot he could carry the ball.

Vickingo

Postby Brezza » 2011 Sep 02, 21:31

Fantasista wrote:He started losing speed when he was in mid 20' so in 97-99 and 01-04 he should have pretty the same ts&acc. Maybe there should be a littl difference but not 2 points in ts and 4 points in acc(while 2 of them are red). Da&Ds for teen Owen is definetely overrated. He was relying on pure speed back then, wasn't showing even a sign of brillant ball control. He just kicked and ran and nobody could catch him. Also I'm not so sure if he was that good in terms of response and header. I always considered him better in attack intelligence and positioning than in quick reaction.

Definitely a bit quicker when he first arrived on the scene. i believe he suffered his first hamstring and tendon injuries at around 21 against Leeds but I agree that the gap is probably too much like you said. slightly more punt and run as a youngster so it could be dropped slightly, you make him sound like Craig bellamy on the ball or something ( although he's slightly underatted) i'd say he's better than him imo.

He's always been suprisingly decent in the air despite his height, pretty sure he improved with age so Im not sure why its rated lower for his Real Madrid era. Res could come down a couple.

Brezza

Postby Fantasista » 2011 Sep 14, 12:37

So maybe for 01-04 Owen:
-ts 93/94
-acc 95
-response 88

For 97/98 one:
-response 84
-da 82
-ds 86/87

Fantasista

Postby Brezza » 2011 Sep 22, 17:09

A couple doesn't mean 5 :P although I agree that Attack> Res he was still incredibly sharp to react in the penalty area. Should definitely still be in the orange area for response especially if the likes of David Villa are there. There's been some discussion lately that response is actually more important to replicate poachers than attack.

I'd rather keep 01-04 Owen the same speed and just lower younger Owen's speed as well. Updated

Brezza

Postby Fantasista » 2011 Sep 22, 19:00

I considered 88 as a justified value but I won't argue for this one. I didn't watch tons of his matches to be that sure. The most important thing was to have att>resp. What about younger Owen's ds? With this stats he's way quicker on the ball than in his peak which is wrong IMO. I wouldn't rate him above 01-04 set which has 89. He still will be a bit faster due to better ts &acc(and agility which also has influence on the quickness of movement, not in pure running of course but I think you know what I mean).

Nevertheless thanks for the update :)

Fantasista

Postby win_zhou » 2011 Dec 02, 16:39

people saying that javier hernandez incredible now...but he is still some way to reach michael owen during his prime...

win_zhou

Next

Return to 00's