Nickname: "Der Bomber"

Club: FC Bayern Munich

Growth type: Early/Lasting

INFO:

Spoiler: show
Hey guys,

Here but only for a short time to present you Gerd Müller(the bomber):

I think, I don't need to say anything.

Maybe just a word or two about Gerd Müller... He certainly deserved it. ;)

Don't forget to check Additional Links (it contains lots of useful info about "Der Bomber").

Gerd Müller started to play for Bayern Munich in 1964 at the age of 18. Bayern was not his first choice as he always dreamed as a boy to once play for 1. FC Nuremberg, because his idol had always been Nuremberg inside right Max Morlock. But when he contacted Nuremberg`s manager, he was told that they already had three Müllers and couldn`t use another one (true story). Müller had scored massive amounts of goals for his hometown club TSV Nördlingen, which raised the interest of several Munich clubs, among them Bayern and TSV 1860. Bayern won the race to sign the bulky, burly little forward. It took a while before Müller was considered for first-team action by manager Zlatko Cajkovski, but when he finally made his first match in October 1964, he scored two goals right away. Bayern was still playing in the regional Southern German league at that point and were competing for a place in the newly created Bundesliga for the second year in a row. The young Franz Beckenbauer also played his first professional season for Bayern that year, and soon the two developed a partnership that would shake the foundations of German and European football. Bayern were promoted the following summer and in their first Bundesliga season managed to reach the third position in the final table.

The following year would prove to be Müller’s and Bayern’s break-through year, with his club winning the German Cup for a second time in a row and the European Cup against Rangers in Nuremberg, while Müller won his first Bundesliga top goalscorer title with 28 goals. He would go on to win this title for a record 7 times during the next 11 years. That year, he was also awarded “German Footballer of the Year”. He received his first cap against Turkey in October 1966, taking the place of injured Uwe Seeler, but it wasn`t before April 1967 that Müller would score his first goals for West Germany against Albania in his second match (4 goals in a 6-0 win). By 1969, Bayern had become the dominating team in West Germany after winning the league and the Cup and Müller winning his second “German Player of the Year” trophy after scoring 30 goals for Bayern in the league and scoring 9 crucial goals for West Germany in the 1968-69 World Cup qualification.

1970 would become Müller’s first ‘annus mirabilis’, when he scored 10 goals for his team in 6 matches at the Mexico-held World Cup, most of them in his unique way, which was dubbed ‘Müllern’ (to ‘müller’ a goal) by German journalists. Müller rarely scored spectacular goals from outside of the penalty box, his area of expertise were ‘little’ goals (as Germany manager Helmut Schön put it), scored from all possible situations, laying on the ground, while sitting, while falling, standing, with his left and his right foot, with his knees, even with his bottom and with his belly, with his thighs, and of course with his head, for Müller, despite being quite small, had massive muscular legs which helped him become a dangerous heading player. Müller scored so many goals he soon earned the nickname “Der Bomber” (though ‘bombing’ was not his specialty). Despite his habit of mostly scoring ‘little’ goals, Müller was a technically sound player who could also lob the ball into the goal and who excelled in neat 1-2s played with his teammates Franz Beckenbauer and Günter Netzer of Borussia Mönchengladbach (some of them being 3-4s rather than just 1-2s). His most common way of scoring goals, however, was the famous turn-and-shoot-in-one-move, which he perfected and in which he scored probably the majority of his goals throughout his career, as well as his most famous goal, the 1974 World Cup final winning goal against Holland.

His performances in 1970 (World Cup top scorer with 10 goals in 6 games, Bundesliga top scorer with 38 goals in 33 games as well as Europe`s top goal scorer), proved so impressive, he became the first German player to win the prestigious “European Player of the Year” award. The next four years Müller was about to reach the pinnacle of his career, with 1972 and 1974 being the cornerstones. 1972 was to become his second ‘annus mirabilis’, when he set a new Bundesliga record scoring some 40 goals (in 34 games), and was very instrumental in West Germany winning the 1972 European Championships, when he supplied almost all of the goals to the dazzling play of Beckenbauer, Netzer and Breitner. That season, Müller scored 64 times in 47 competitive matches (for Bayern and West Germany), including 11 goals in 9 European Championship games. He also wound up winning the Bundesliga with Bayern three times in a row from 1972 to 1974, and in each of those years he would score over 30 goals in the Bundesliga and over 50 goals in all competitions combined. In May 1974, Müller scored two exceptional goals against Atletico Madrid in Bayern`s 4-0 win in the Champions Cup final, but his biggest triumph would come July, when he helped West Germany beat the seemingly all-conquering Dutch in the Munich final by scoring the crucial 2-1 just before half-time. He decided to quit the German team after that ultimate win, having scored 68 goals in 62 matches. Müller kept on playing for Bayern successfully, helping to defend the Champions Cup in 1975 and 1976. And despite suffering two severe injuries in 1975 and 1977, he kept on scoring goals like no other German player before or after.

After Beckenbauer left in 1977 to play for Cosmos, things deteriorated for Bayern rapidly. In the 77-78 season, Bayern had to struggle against relegation, but an ageing Müller still ended up scoring 24 goals, winning the top scorer trophy for the last time. When he was subsituted due to poor form for the very first time in his career on February 3rd, 1979, an era in German football was about to end, for Müller was so hurt in his pride, that he immediately decided to leave Bayern for good and to follow Beckenbauer to America. He only played one more Bundesliga match for Bayern (February 10th, 1979 against Dortmund) before signing a contract at Fort Lauderdale Strikers on March 9th. Prior to that season, Müller had publicly announced that he planned to end his career by the end of the 1979-80 season which he later regretted, as he felt that the new (and relatively unknown) manager Pal Csernai wanted to strengthen his position by acting like the strong man in dethroning the legend, Gerd Müller. During his Bundesliga career, Müller had scored 365 goals in 427 games for Bayern, an all-time record. He would be voted “Greatest Ever Bundesliga Player” 25 years later in a huge poll among German football fans, which Müller himself considered to be his greatest victory. Although he enjoyed some success in America by reaching the 1980 NASL final (losing against Beckenbauer`s Cosmos), he found it more and more difficult to score even in America, and decided to call it quits in 1982 (after having joined regional team Smith Brothers Lounge Fort Lauderdale).

Gerd Müller was arguably the greatest marksman of the modern, low-scoring era of world football. Testimony to his goal scoring prowess is the fact that he topped the goal scorers’ chart in every tournament he participated in, be it domestic or international: Gerd Müller is still the top World Cup goal scorer (14 goals), the best scorer in the European Championships (16), the top goal scorer in all European Cups (64), the top Bundesliga goal scorer (365), the top goal scorer in the German cup (78), and of course his national team`s top goal scorer (68). His record at international tournaments like the World Cup, the European Championship and the Champions Cup is especially staggering, scoring 64 goals in just 60 games at the highest level. During his career, he scored 21 hattricks, four quadrotricks and two quintotricks (only counting competitive games). Seven times did he score five goals in one match, 15 times four goals and 35 times three goals in a single match (only counting competitive games here). In the light of these figures, it did not come as a surprise when Franz Beckenbauer once expressed his gratitude towards his long-time teammate by stating that “everything we became, all the trophies we won and triumphs we enjoyed, we owe only to Gerd Müller”.

Source: http://www.bigsoccer.com

VIDEOS:

ADDITIONAL LINKS:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232241

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223484

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerd_M%C3%BCller

http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/pla ... er=174790/

http://www.planetworldcup.com/LEGENDS/gmuller.html

http://www.wldcup.com/euro/2004/players ... Cller.html

http://www.mapsofworld.com/2006-fifa-wo ... uller.html

CHRI$

by »

Re: Gerd MULLER | 1971/1972

Postby Nrby » 2009 Jan 03, 14:06

watching a few compilations I actually think Puskas was more accurate than him ... and muller seems to have had a better header than 93

Nrby

Postby ravlee » 2009 Jan 03, 14:21

Nrby wrote:watching a few compilations I actually think Puskas was more accurate than him ... and muller seems to have had a better header than 93

dunno about header 93 is already quite high - i don't think he was a god-region header

about SA well 99 is the best value we can give to someone.. but we shouldn't base this on his goal scoring record etc., 'cause he also left out big chances - maybe a 97/98 is fair here and ST 98 also seems to high for me.. i'd rather have his Response at 99 and than his ST at 98, 'cause ST 98 is like treze and quite close to mvb :/ .. maybe it should come down to henry region?

conclusion:
SA: 97/98
ST: 96
Resp.: 99

and wtf is that all about?

only for a short time?! -____-"

ravlee

Postby Nrby » 2009 Jan 03, 14:56

ravlee wrote:and wtf is that all about?

only for a short time?! -____-"

it was probably from the original post :P ... totally agree with the 99 response and I would add 99 aggression ... this guy was mostly about being at the right place at the right time and he did that near to perfection ... the finishing from there was usually a formality and wasn't always top notch but it did the job

Nrby

Postby Brezza » 2009 Jan 03, 18:51

You guys have a point there he was a master of all poaching and had perfection timing reactions etc rather than godly technical shooting (which was still great of coarse) updated him 8-) Maybe he he should his teamwork down to 79 like Ruud?, you don't really associate poachers with being good teamworkers.

" If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
Brezza

Postby ravlee » 2009 Jan 03, 19:35

Brezza wrote:You guys have a point there he was a master of all poaching and had perfection timing reactions etc rather than godly technical shooting (which was still great of coarse) updated him 8-) Maybe he he should his teamwork down to 79 like Ruud?, you don't really associate poachers with being good teamworkers.

maybe even lower? i mean he NEVER tracked back to get involved in any team-movements .. he was basically standing in the box and waiting for the ball - i don't know why he would deserve 84 or even 79 is too much for my liking :S - cause 79 is like i.e. van persie and imo that's a disgrace to van persie to be rated at the same TW level as müller (no offense to müller)

i don't think that his TW was so much better than Vieri, Crespo, Cantona etc. (73/74/75 range)

so for me, even if it sounds harsh:

TW 74/75

ravlee

Postby Brezza » 2009 Jan 03, 19:48

done ;)

" If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
Brezza

Re: Gerd MÜLLER | 1969-1974

Postby Plava Čigra » 2010 Feb 11, 06:19

Updated to fit new format. Added all Cards, Info, Videos, Additional Links, Growth type.

Changes...

1. Extended Era from 1971-1972 to 1969-1974.

2. Short Pass Accuracy: 73>75, Short Pass Speed: 72>75 - Even in regular highlight videos, available on the internet, you can see how he plays 1-2 passes with his teammates. He was an ultimate poacher, but his short passing skills were on pretty decent level. Since Van Nistelrooy in his prime is on SPA: 74, SPS: 74, I think I can safely say that Gerd Müller could claim low green values in short passing.

3. Shot Accuracy: 98<97, Shot Power: 82<80, Shot Technique: 96>97 - I can say without any doubt that his SA (in my opinion) is under Puskás's SA. Since Puskás has 98, 97 is enough for Müller. I've lowered SP to 80 mainly because 99% of his goals came from inside the box. As for ST is concerned, for me he's near Trézéguet (98), but I would rate him a 1-2 yellow points under Trézéguet, so 97 suits him fine.

4. Team Work: 75>79 - I've rated him with 79. He didn't help his defenders, but this message (regardless the date when it's posted), and suggested values for Müller:

ravlee wrote:
Brezza wrote:You guys have a point there he was a master of all poaching and had perfection timing reactions etc rather than godly technical shooting (which was still great of coarse) updated him 8-) Maybe he he should his teamwork down to 79 like Ruud?, you don't really associate poachers with being good teamworkers.

maybe even lower? i mean he NEVER tracked back to get involved in any team-movements .. he was basically standing in the box and waiting for the ball - i don't know why he would deserve 84 or even 79 is too much for my liking :S - cause 79 is like i.e. van persie and imo that's a disgrace to van persie to be rated at the same TW level as müller (no offense to müller)

i don't think that his TW was so much better than Vieri, Crespo, Cantona etc. (73/74/75 range)

so for me, even if it sounds harsh:

TW 74/75

just shows how many Müller's games author of that message has seen (and/or how much he focused on Müller's style of playing). To respond in the way that would please the author of the message: "I even sometimes saw Müller barbecuing in the box... On the other occasions he was napping..." :lol: No offence to ravlee, off course. ;)

Now to get serious. Müller was known for his 1-2 passes (and as that Info says, sometimes even 3-4 passes) and he actually went outside the box to play those passes. I've stated that he didn't track back to help defenders, but his understanding of complete team movement while they were attacking was astonishing. I know that most of that is covered with Response, but he has to have some decent TW value in order to get more involved in those actions. Since he has Defence: 31, even with TW: 79, he would still be on pretty low level as for defending is concerned.

I've tried to test him with 75 and then with 79. With 75 he rarely touches the ball during the game. He somehow seems cut out from the rest of the team. With 79 he gets involved in actions (not too frequently, off course) but he's there to pass the ball to a teammate and then try to evade markers and receives return pass.

Plava Čigra

Postby Phil » 2010 Mar 18, 14:01

After watching some clips I've noticed how well Muller copes in tight spaces and even when crowded with players in and around the box he seems very 'twisty turny' and light on his feet, usually managing to get his shot off. Taking into consideration he isn't the best dribbler and not particularly strong or fast, plus because of the effect of being so heavy for his size (thats assuming these are correct), I get the impression that he is deserving of a higher agility, I think 86 would be max but certainly over 84 for me as he is more agile than Essien imo.

Also Muller has got very short legs and thick thighs that allows him to have a very good burst of pace over short distances although seems to burn out pretty fast and so I think that there should be a bigger gap between acceleration and top speed.

With acceleration I feel this really should come up he was quite impressive at this and I see no reason why he couldn't get an 84 or 85 (I'd prefer this) and looking at the modern ladders he certainly seems quicker of the mark than Diego Milito, and probably by a couple of points and he's rated at 83 (although has a higher TS at 84)

With top speed he was usually too busy in the box scoring goals 8-) and didn't show his top speed an awful lot but on a couple of occasions i've seen the defender keep up with him to a chase to the ball or from runs from deep and so I think this could come down 1.

SUGGESTIONS:

Agility: 85/86
Top Speed: 81
Acceleration: 84/85

Also, more of a question rather than a suggestion, but is mentality correct ? He didn't seem more willing to work as Torres (80), although he had great mental strength he didn't seem the type of player to chase players down, like Torres does from time to time.

Phil

Postby Raúl-7 » 2010 Mar 19, 16:51

I think his shot power should be raised to something around 83/84. As you can see in the vids his shots weren't real blasts but surely much more powerful than the actual value of 80!

phil-g2006: Totally agree with your suggestions! ;)

Raúl-7

Postby Plava Čigra » 2010 May 07, 04:28

Some good observations by phil-g2006. Updated according to them.

Top Speed: 82<81,
Acceleration: 83>85,
Agility: 84>86.

All things considered, I think Mentality is fine at 81 (although I don't mind if more people agree to lower it to 80). As I said he didn't drop back to help his defenders, but he would put some pressure on opposition's defenders.

I've explained why his SP is on 80. It's because in 99% of the cases he scored from inside the box. Giving him higher SP (combined with his lethal SA and ST) would make with quite dangerous outside the box, in 20-25m area (for example, Van Nistelrooy has SP: 79) and thus making his playing style a bit unrealistic.

Plava Čigra

Postby zguc » 2010 May 07, 09:26

Agree with agility. Look video on 00:52

El orgullo y desafío.
zguc

Postby Albo7 » 2010 Nov 09, 21:29

I'm honoured to say that this legends first goal with his NT was against my country, here's the video:

At 3:00 you can see the goal. Classic.

Image TROLL KING Image

Albo7

Postby RONALDO » 2011 Jan 22, 11:20

Shouldnt he have "Fox in the box"?

Seen as though he was always in the box.

RONALDO

Postby hsnandra » 2011 Jan 29, 14:29

I'm pretty sure he was regarded as the greatest ever Fox In the Box. its very strange that he doesn't have the player card to go with it.

hsnandra

Postby as_10 » 2011 Jan 29, 20:46

I'm not familiar with cards(actually I don't have any PES with this system), but I'm totally sure Fox in the Box is not about poaching or being clever in the area, but somewhat like Post player and being good at holding the ball. Am I right?

I want my son Brooklyn to be christianized, but I still don't know in which religion - David Beckham
as_10

Postby mcmattie » 2011 Jan 30, 12:53

Hi, Does he really deserve a 99 value on 3 stats?!!
It's not that I don't like him or anything. He was a great player. But isn't this a bit too much?
Was he the best ever when it comes to positioning ánd the best responses ever ánd the most eager one ever to join an attack?

mcmattie

Postby Fixer » 2011 Jan 30, 13:32

Pretty much he was the best at that you say.

kunmariano wrote:
Ajacied_Breda1 wrote:Why don't you just bugger off for a bit, kunmariano. I've got better things to do then read your biased tripe.

ey friend learns to write, DO NOT UNDERSTAND ANYTHING YOU !!!!... who believes you got a problem here?

Fixer

Postby Albo7 » 2011 Jan 31, 13:35

He was the best ever at all those 3 reparts. Only thing that looks over the top is ST. He could score from the most bizarre angles, true, but in the game he gives away too many volleys and overheads for my liking...

Image TROLL KING Image

Albo7

Postby Fixer » 2011 Jan 31, 18:02

I agree, and I feel his SA deserves to be, at least, a bit higher than his ST. Anyway, overall and for my limited knowledge of players I have not seen live, the set works pretty good.

kunmariano wrote:
Ajacied_Breda1 wrote:Why don't you just bugger off for a bit, kunmariano. I've got better things to do then read your biased tripe.

ey friend learns to write, DO NOT UNDERSTAND ANYTHING YOU !!!!... who believes you got a problem here?

Fixer

Next

Return to 70's