*Tactical Dribble
*Playmaking
*Passing
*Scoring
*1-1 Scoring
*Outside

PES 2011 / 2010 Attack/Defence Awareness Card: Attack Minded

INFO:

Alessandro ("Sandro") Mazzola (born 8 November 1942 in Turin, Piedmont) is an Italian former football player. He is the son of Valentino Mazzola, who was killed in the Superga air disaster in 1949, and one of the most renowned Italian football players of the 1960s. He played for the Internazionale team known as La Grande Inter. He was an attacking inside-right with goalscoring instincts. He was also blessed with creativity, helped by his passing range and close control.

With the entire career of seventeen seasons played only for the club, he holds the honor of being a one-club man.

Biography

Alessandro Mazzola was born in Turin, Italy a few weeks after his father joined Torino FC from Venezia A.C.. His younger brother, Ferruccio, who was named after the president's Torino FC, was born two years later. His parents divorced in 1946, but his mother gained custody of Sandro Mazzola. He was 6 years old when his father died.

Internazionale

Sandro Mazzola and his brother Ferruccio signed for Internazionale. He played all his career for Inter, scoring 116 Serie A goals. His Serie A debut was for Inter against Juventus on 10 June 1961, when his team lost 9-1. A year before his debut, Helenio Herrera arrived from FC Barcelona as the coach of Inter. He brought Luis Suárez from FC Barcelona as his midfield general, he had Tarcisio Burgnich and Giacinto Facchetti as his fullbacks, Brazilian Jair as his wing, Mario Corso as the left midfielder, Armando Picchi as his sweeper, and Mazzola who eventually played the game in the inside-right position. Together, they would transform the club into the best in Europe. They were known for their defensive tactic known as catenaccio. In 1964, Mazzola scored twice to beat Real Madrid in the 1964 European Cup Final to emulate A.C. Milan's feat of the previous season. They would defend their title again the following season by beating S.L. Benfica in the Final. In the 1966-67 season, they made it to their third Final, but lost to Celtic F.C. with Mazzola scoring one goal.

Italy national football team

Mazzola also played 70 times for Italy, scoring 22 goals. His debut for the national side was against Brazil on 12 May 1963, when he was aged only 20. Mazzola played for his country at the 1966, 1970, and 1974 FIFA World Cups. His biggest achievement came in 1968 when Italy won the 1968 European Championship. Two years later, Italy arrived at the the World Cup in Mexico as favorite. The Italian coach Ferruccio Valcareggi believed that Sandro Mazzola could not play together on the pitch at the same time with other Italian star player Gianni Rivera. By second round, he devised a solution he called "staffetta" (relay) to play both players. Mazzola would start in the first half while Rivera would come in at half time. With this strategy, Italy reached the Final against Pelé's Brazil for the first time in 32 years. The match was billed as the battle between offensive and defensive football, but on game day, Ferruccio Valcareggi abandoned his "staffetta" policy and only used Mazzola until the very end. Gianni Rivera finally went into the game with 8 minutes to go. Two of Italy's biggest stars finally united together on the pitch where many people believed they should have been all along, but it was too late. Brazil won 4-1.

Four years later, Ferruccio Valcareggi finally used the two together, but Italy was an aging side losing in the first round (group stage).

Honours

By the end of his career, Mazzola had won four Serie A titles (1963, 1965, 1966 and 1971), two European Cups (1964 and 1965), two Intercontinental Cups (1964 and 1965), one European Championship (1968) and was top-scorer in Serie A in season 1964-65. He is now a football analyst and commentator on Italian channel RAI.

VIDEOS:

ADDITIONAL LINKS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandro_Mazzola

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandro_Mazzola

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7966026

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/statisticsandrecords/players/player=174745/index.html

Plava Čigra

by »

Re: Alessandro MAZZOLA | 1961-1965

Postby POSTER#1 » 2008 Dec 10, 19:11

kenneth26 Posted: Sep 20 2008, 02:03 AM wrote:
Ajacied_Breda1,Sep 19 2008, 04:43 PM wrote: Why is he so underrated compared to Rivera? :rolleyes:

They were equal to say the least.

Can you make some amendments for this?

POSTER#1

Postby p1rha » 2009 Jul 19, 19:16

U shouldn't have him as a CF as he was just SS & AMF, maybe RMF but not necessalry.

p1rha

Postby Oriello » 2010 Jan 24, 19:44

Notes Italy 1-2 Poland 1974 WC Group stage

-Misplaced pass
-good tech, shot blocked
-SPS low 80's (*during match I put several checkmarks at this bulletin*)
-deep to get pass of Zoff
-EXample Faccheti SPS higher zippy passing
-bery good vision especially LPA (average speed) but wow accurate
-finally a speed SPS
-Definetely for this era 90 AGG is excessive
-Beautiful Outside of Boot LPass (15m)
-Even at old age (31) nippy on ball, AGL at a push could be 87
-FK Capello layoff Mazzola low/ground effort into wall
-Middleshooting attempts twice now, first blocked, second really high (off target) not so good thus far
-deep to get ball off Zoff (Again), dribbles his way out of own half evading Kasper and another Pole, good showcase of high DS
-Easily side steps Deyna tackle
-Nice run once more from LB position diagonally into centre and a through pass for Causio, good Agility, could be 87 I think
-Loses out in crowded MF (3 players), loose touch
-Casual dribbling, Deyna allowed to step in. Not as influential so far in second half 52min
-Outside of Boot Pass LPass short
-Really has quick feet, those sort that rapidly touch the ball many times while travelling even at low speeds, making shadowing Poles guess his next move
-SPS looks lost from 86 in old age, 82 max now
-Poor touch but recovers enough for attempted middleshot from edge of box, Gorgon slide blocks it
-Behind halfway line to dribble out but closed down and Szarmach wins ball, Mazolla 'fights' (a little) to regain it but has no strength to shove anyone, ball lost
-Attempts LPass out of defence to Causio, over hit slightly and picked up by Gorgon
-Shit!!! Great DS dribble throough centre, Gorgon tackle ends it, neat to watch Mazzola at full flight
-Left foot effort edge of box, low corner,safely handled by GK (SP 81?)
-Okay cross flighted off FK into box still slow
-Another tame cross, cut out (right foot, back onto goal from left flank)
-MEN now for sure 75-77 (retrospective view on whole match)

Clearly notes only applicable to a set if made for his eldened version, played a AMF/CMF not sure which, I would peg him AMF(not dfeneding at all) but playing around centre circle who came deep to bring ball up due to his awsome dribbling capacities.

Despit age retains good speed (not 88), but ACC is nearly still 86, Aglity I feel is greater than in first post, DA/DS still in full force at 31 years, Passing/TW still their invision and precision, only the speed of passing was clearly less than his younger self. Probably weaker in BB, SA significantly down, Aggresion too in view of new role, Consistency I could see at 6...anyway those would be my intial views on anyone opting to post an older version of Signore Mazzola, oh and Defence is would still be fine at 48, despit travelling deep to help out in possesion invisible defensivly. :)

Oriello

Re: Sandro MAZZOLA | 1963-1968

Postby Plava Čigra » 2010 Jun 07, 13:38

I've updated him to fit new format. Changes...

1. Changed his Era from 1960-1965 to 1963-1968. Added younger picture of Mazzola. Changed his Weight: 69-->74 kg according to this source: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandro_Mazzola

Some sources say that his Weight is 66 kg but according to his pictures that looks like too small number for me: http://srb.worldfootball.net/spieler_pr ... o-mazzola/

2. Balance: 77-->78 - I agree that Mazzola wasn't a powerful player and that he didn't use strength in duels like he used his excellent speed and dribbling ability, but once in a while, defender would manage to keep up with him and for a moment try to push him off the ball. Mazzola would stay on his feet (while still keeping the ball) and as soon as he got opportunity he would use his speed and dribbling in order to evade that defender.

3. Stamina: 88-->86, Mentality: 83-->82 - He did ran a lot during his team's attack, but that wasn't the case when his team defended. Off course, he had some defensive tasks and he would try to put some pressure on opponent's players, but this can't be compared to his involvement during his team's attacks. I rate his Mentality 2 points above Zico (80) and his Stamina 3 points above Zico (83).

4. Acceleration: 86-->87 - I was thinking of even higher value, but in the end decided that gap between TS and ACC should exist, so 87 looks ok. He could really put some speed in his first few steps.

5. Agility: 86-->89, Dribble Accuracy: 90-->92, Dribble Speed: 88-->90 - Amazing dribbler! The way he controls the ball while dribbling, the way he changes direction and on top of all that, he does it with such elegance and speed. Mazzola makes dribbling look like the easiest thing in the World. I was thinking between two values for DA (92-93) and Agility (89-90). I went for more conservative values, because I might be too enthusiastic in these abilities, since he could take 3-4 opposition's players in a row, which left quite an impression on me. I think he's on the same level in DA as Henry. His Agility looked higher then Savićević's (87) and around the same level as Zico's (88) considering both players Height/Weight.

6. Short Pass Speed: 86-->85, Long Pass Accuracy: 88-->89 - When I've watched his games, his short passing seemed similar to modern Scholes' (SPA: 90, SPS: 86) but with a bit less power and distance, so I think SPS: 85 fits him good. His long passing was very precise but not powerful. I think he was a bit better in LPA and LPS from Enzo Francescoli (LPA: 88, LPS: 82).

7. Shot Accuracy: 90-->87, Shot Power: 87-->84, Curling: 77-->78 - I really don't think he was above Zico (88) in SA. He could put decent amount of power into his shots, but not on Rooney's level for sure. Again, I would rate him 1 point under Zico (85) in SP. Also, I just felt he had a bit more curl in his shots and passes (looking at the modern ladders 1 point above Scholes should be enough).

8. Jump: 75-->80 - He had pretty good leap, although he didn't use it too much. I think he should be fine on the same level as current Malouda.

9. Technique: 90-->91 - I rate him on the same level as current Fabregas.

10. Team Work: 88-->85 - With 88 he would rarely try to do his famous dribbling. In most of the situations he would pass the ball as soon as he gets it. I think he should be fine on the same level as 1970 Pelé.

11. Added new Cards: P07: Mazing Run, P12: Incisive Run, P17: Free Roaming, P20: Talisman, S02: Passer, S03: 1-on-1 Finish, S06: Outside Curve, S14: Quick Turn, S20: Scooping + Attack/Defence Awareness Card: Attack Minded. Just wanted to point out that main playmaker of that Inter team was Suarez, and Mazzola and Corso acted like sort of assistant playmakers. Mazzola was also used as more advanced playmaker in Italian national team.

12. Weak Foot Accuracy: 5-->6 (nice usage of his left foot). Added Growth type: Early/Lasting. Added Info, Videos and Additional Links. Switched poster to me. Added my nick into credits.

Plava Čigra

Return to 60's