Neil MELLOR

Moderator: Mod's

Neil MELLOR

Postby Nrby » 2008 Dec 17, 08:59

Former Liverpool striker has had a relatively good season at Deepdale, finishing in double figures despite only starting towards the end of March. Different sort of player to Brown, they complement each other very well due to Mellor's superb positional sense and Brown's flick on's. Quicker than people think, Mellor has shrugged off the fatboy chants and become a crucial part of Alan Irvine's squad. Dangerous when running at people, but in a different way to Nugent. Nugent would look to frighten the defenders with pace but Mellor uses his sheer strength on the ball and is great at winning free kicks in and around the box. Best finisher at the club, and not a slouch in the air either, Mellor has become a key player for Preston recently, scoring 5 in 5 at the end of the season. Can be a bit too greedy at times, but is a clever player at the level he is at.

Nrby

by »

Re: Neil MELLOR

Postby Vandeach » 2009 Jun 05, 21:17

Woahh... his SP looks really low, I always remember him being able to really smack 'em, I thought he would have had an 85 value.

"If you are first you are first. If you are second, you are nothing" - Bill Shankly.
"I guarantee fourth place" - Rafael Benitez.
Vandeach

Postby Alcohomicide » 2009 Jun 05, 21:33

85 is too much. He has good technique and can hit a bouncing or moving ball, but I would put actual SP closer to 83, level with Heskey and Saha.

I'd remove 1-vs-1 scoring and add *1 touch pass as he will attempt first time shots if they are on with confidence.

"When we were winning leagues and European Cups at Real I always said Makelele was our most important player. There is no way myself Figo or Raúl would have been able to do what we did without Claude and the same goes for Liverpool and Gerrard."
Alcohomicide

Postby deity86 » 2009 Jun 05, 21:44

Bah, I still remember that goal he scored against us :roll: What a cracker.

Alf Ramsey: "I'll be watching you for the first 45 minutes and if you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime."
Rodney Marsh: "Crikey Alf, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea."
deity86

Postby Alcohomicide » 2009 Jun 05, 21:51

Yes! Haha. But that was a red arrow day. ;)

"When we were winning leagues and European Cups at Real I always said Makelele was our most important player. There is no way myself Figo or Raúl would have been able to do what we did without Claude and the same goes for Liverpool and Gerrard."
Alcohomicide

Postby deity86 » 2009 Jun 05, 21:57

Or some non-existant quadruple red arrow day :? I remember thinking "Yeah, just hit it you'll never finish from there". Then everything went slow motion on me and the ball magically appeared in the back of the net :cry:

Alf Ramsey: "I'll be watching you for the first 45 minutes and if you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime."
Rodney Marsh: "Crikey Alf, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea."
deity86

Postby Alcohomicide » 2009 Jun 05, 22:17

"Oh, it's only Ray Parlour..." :lol:

Alcohomicide

Postby deity86 » 2009 Jun 05, 22:24

A much better memory :D

deity86

Re: Neil MELLOR, Preston North End

Postby KeyserSoze » 2012 May 10, 00:34

Retired due to a chronic injury:
http://www.football-league.co.uk/league1/news/20120509/preston-star-mellor-forced-to-retire_2293324_2765173

KeyserSoze

Return to Retired Players