Ashley Young

Moderators: vinnie, Jez, BigStu, Mod's

Ashley Young

Postby PES Stats Database » 2008 Dec 09, 11:03

Image



Talented young player, usually plays as a winger and also capable of playing as a striker. Young has natural ability and explosive pace with good skill on the ball, Young likes to run at defenders and has the ability to whip in dangerous crosses. Signed last season during the transfer window from Watford where he was their star player and identified as a player with a very bright future. He made a encouraging start last season and made 14 appearances and scored 2 goals, he has been capped 10 times for the under-21 England national side and was recently called up to the full national squad for the first time..

User avatar
PES Stats Database
 
Posts: 10033
Joined: 2008 Dec 09, 12:06
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 123 times

by »



 

Re: Ashley YOUNG

Postby PMC » 2008 Dec 15, 10:52

http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?t=238498

hey I don't wanna be the devil's advocate ( :twisted: ) but on this forum there's a very interesting discussion going on about Ashley Young and his abilities

I'm against you
User avatar
PMC
 
Posts: 6536
Joined: 2008 Dec 08, 19:51
Location: Vienna
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Ashley YOUNG

Postby Tom » 2008 Dec 15, 15:37

PMC wrote:http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?t=238498

hey I don't wanna be the devil's advocate ( :twisted: ) but on this forum there's a very interesting discussion going on about Ashley Young and his abilities


But a lot of those people are spouting total rubbish, somebody there said that Wright-Phillips was better than Ashley Young! :lol:

User avatar
Tom
 
Posts: 2528
Joined: 2008 Dec 09, 15:18
Location: Swansea
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Ashley YOUNG

Postby lfc 4 eva » 2008 Dec 15, 16:44

I suggest we increase his Top Speed and Acceleration, I think we were discussing making these changes on the old site.

User avatar
lfc 4 eva
 
Posts: 1356
Joined: 2008 Dec 10, 11:12
Location: Liverpool, UK
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Ashley YOUNG

Postby PMC » 2008 Dec 15, 17:33

GoonerLover66 wrote:
PMC wrote:http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?t=238498

hey I don't wanna be the devil's advocate ( :twisted: ) but on this forum there's a very interesting discussion going on about Ashley Young and his abilities


But a lot of those people are spouting total rubbish, somebody there said that Wright-Phillips was better than Ashley Young! :lol:



Wright-Phillips was considered one of the biggest prospects before he signed for Chelsea :roll:

and the general discussion is interesting and not something I'd totally ignore... but we'll see about it

I'm against you
User avatar
PMC
 
Posts: 6536
Joined: 2008 Dec 08, 19:51
Location: Vienna
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Ashley YOUNG

Postby ramyv10 » 2008 Dec 15, 19:12

I suggest increase his speed and acc by a couple points each... and his aggression should be much higher he is a constant attacking threat. I believe he also has that innate quality to beat defenders, whether its with pace or his quick silky moves.

I haven't looked at the ladder lately but who has the highest Attack stat for wingers in the epl besides Ronaldo? I think 76 is a bit low He puts himself is really good scoring positions when his team needs to attack and score. I think his stats just don't reflect his value to Villa.

Somehow he's managed to go under the radar of the typical media hype. I think he's one of the best wingers in England and yeah i'd say he's probably the best pure crosser of the ball the epl has seen since Becks. It just seems that his stats need a bit of tweaking here and there.

ramyv10
 
Posts: 22
Joined: 2008 Dec 09, 15:33
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Ashley YOUNG

Postby Tom » 2008 Dec 15, 19:16

PMC wrote:
GoonerLover66 wrote:
PMC wrote:http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?t=238498

hey I don't wanna be the devil's advocate ( :twisted: ) but on this forum there's a very interesting discussion going on about Ashley Young and his abilities


But a lot of those people are spouting total rubbish, somebody there said that Wright-Phillips was better than Ashley Young! :lol:



Wright-Phillips was considered one of the biggest prospects before he signed for Chelsea :roll:

and the general discussion is interesting and not something I'd totally ignore... but we'll see about it


Dude, of course I know about Wright-Phillips' previous potential, but in terms of current ability I certainly wouldn't say that Wright-Phillips is better overall. There's no need for the sarcasm here ;)

Oh I'm not denying that it's interesting, but the general consensus on there appears to be that he'd somehow be poor at a Top 4 club. I don't know how it's truly possible to jump to such a conclusion, when he plays regular games in Europe we shall see, but people have also said the same of the likes of Mathieu Flamini and Sulley Muntari (There are numerous examples, but I wouldn't put Jermaine Pennant in the same bracket, would you?).
Having a look at the discussion, you'll see that they claim that he will not be able to keep up with the changing pace of the game. I find that quite amusing as in recent weeks he's been incredibly successful at scoring/assisting goals on the counter attack. Some of them raise interesting points, there's no denying that, but there appears to be a lot of baiting of the player when you consider that it was merely the title of the thread that was incorrect.

User avatar
Tom
 
Posts: 2528
Joined: 2008 Dec 09, 15:18
Location: Swansea
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Ashley YOUNG

Postby PMC » 2008 Dec 15, 19:54

Obviously not every member of a board can be considered a valuable opinion and I actually dare to say that I can't form my opinion of Ashley Young as I don't follow Aston Villa as much as regular EPL fans do. It was just interesting how they described his style and compared him to similar players.

what interested me was:

some claim that his technical game isn't as defined as one might think when he sees the stats here

and

some believe that he isn't that developed yet to play "tight" games where space is a rarity...


Please keep in mind that I didn't want to criticize nor question the stats in here but thought that this would be an interesting point of view.

I'm against you
User avatar
PMC
 
Posts: 6536
Joined: 2008 Dec 08, 19:51
Location: Vienna
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Ashley YOUNG

Postby Tom » 2008 Dec 16, 15:48

PMC wrote:Obviously not every member of a board can be considered a valuable opinion and I actually dare to say that I can't form my opinion of Ashley Young as I don't follow Aston Villa as much as regular EPL fans do. It was just interesting how they described his style and compared him to similar players.

what interested me was:

some claim that his technical game isn't as defined as one might think when he sees the stats here

and

some believe that he isn't that developed yet to play "tight" games where space is a rarity...


Please keep in mind that I didn't want to criticize nor question the stats in here but thought that this would be an interesting point of view.


Considering that the size of the average EPL pitch is significantly bigger than it was, say, 5 years ago it's pretty hard to state how well he'd play in that sort of situation. But whenever Villa have played a game in which the opposition mark them tightly, I've seen Ashley Young play well, Everton are a team that close down there man well and yet he played very well against them this season as he did last year. The same can be said for his quality when playing against quite a few of these teams in the EPL.

The only thing in the stats that I'd consider removing or lowering are his Free Kick Accuracy stat and the Dribbling star. Other than that, he's not rated that generously at all, and the likes of Samir Nasri and Nani have been raised for far less. :roll:

User avatar
Tom
 
Posts: 2528
Joined: 2008 Dec 09, 15:18
Location: Swansea
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Ashley YOUNG

Postby TheTrueSeto » 2008 Dec 17, 03:09

He's definitely more FK accurate than Ronaldo, and he likes to beat his man as well

And raise TS to 86 please

TheTrueSeto
 
Posts: 335
Joined: 2008 Dec 14, 10:27
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Ashley YOUNG

Postby Paddy » 2008 Dec 18, 12:56

Short Pass Accuracy: 82
Short Pass Speed: 81
Long Pass Acc.: 89-90
Long Pass Speed: 88

he is simply put, CLASS at passing he knows where to put it and can put it there, he is, right now the best passer in the PL imo.

Top Speed: 86
Acceleration: 87

http://www.skysports.com/whoisthefastest/index.html

this tells you the facts, and it even says in his description "explosive pace".

User avatar
Paddy
 
Posts: 8581
Joined: 2008 Dec 08, 20:01
Location: Dublin
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: Ashley YOUNG

Postby jmg721 » 2008 Dec 18, 13:03

I don't know what the suggestions were on the old site...but these look in a reasonable ball park. I think his skills being updated are long overdue.

So I think I'm saying...I agree with Paddy....:shock:

"The Recoba Effect"
User avatar
jmg721
 
Posts: 5509
Joined: 2008 Dec 08, 23:47
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Ashley YOUNG

Postby Tom » 2008 Dec 18, 13:13

jmg721 wrote:I don't know what the suggestions were on the old site...but these look in a reasonable ball park. I think his skills being updated are long overdue.

So I think I'm saying...I agree with Paddy....:shock:


Yup, his suggestions do make sense. But I disagree with the LPS suggestion, I feel that raising it any further is going to make him perform 40-yard passes and perform the style of passes that Gerrard does. If anything, you could potentially lower his LPS slightly just so that he can only perform crosses.

User avatar
Tom
 
Posts: 2528
Joined: 2008 Dec 09, 15:18
Location: Swansea
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Ashley YOUNG

Postby TheTrueSeto » 2008 Dec 18, 13:36

Anyway, I'd suggest 84 for FKA, I think he's more accurate than Alex

TheTrueSeto
 
Posts: 335
Joined: 2008 Dec 14, 10:27
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Ashley YOUNG

Postby IamI » 2008 Dec 20, 08:30

Ulises wrote:I think he is a bit faster, and better balanced, I suggest:

BB: 77
TS: 85
ACC: 88

Disagree with FKA.


I think that's too high for him.

IamI
 

Re: Ashley YOUNG

Postby jmg721 » 2008 Dec 20, 10:32

I prefer Paddy's TS/ACC suggestions. And I like Gooner's idea of keeping the LPS lower, so that he doesn't cross from longer distance. So maybe LPA: 89/90, LPS: 84/85...

"The Recoba Effect"
User avatar
jmg721
 
Posts: 5509
Joined: 2008 Dec 08, 23:47
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Ashley YOUNG

Postby Ulises » 2008 Dec 20, 10:41

Paddy wrote:Top Speed: 86
Acceleration: 87


I didn't notice that, agree with this, and gooner suggestions for LPs. But i still think that acc: 87, isn't enogh for him, he should be close to world class.

Ulises
 

Re: Ashley YOUNG

Postby fishdalf » 2008 Dec 21, 07:35

Ulises wrote:
Paddy wrote:Top Speed: 86
Acceleration: 87


I didn't notice that, agree with this, and gooner suggestions for LPs. But i still think that acc: 87, isn't enogh for him, he should be close to world class.


Well at least 3 people have agreed to at least this for both speed stats, so updated to this for now.

Just for the record though i disagree with the both suggestions, at the moment he sits on the same speed as Downing (slightly unfair) and 1 less in acceleration (crazy). I think we should be looking at low 90's here for acceleration and perhaps 1 point higher in speed. How does this look to everyone?:

Top Speed: 87
Acceleration: 92

I've tested it and it gives him those small bursts of pace he is becoming known for. Make no mistake, Ashley is lightning quick and this isn't overrating him in any way whatsoever.

Other comparisons:

Ryan Babel
Top Speed: 91
Acceleration: 92

Fernando Torres
Top Speed: 88
Acceleration: 95

User avatar
fishdalf
 
Posts: 962
Joined: 2008 Dec 12, 07:34
Location: Liverpool, UK
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Ashley YOUNG

Postby jmg721 » 2008 Dec 21, 11:57

Not that I am disagreeing, but this would put him at the same TS as Mutu, with 2 better in acceleration. His current stats is the same as Chievo's Luciano. Both are very fast 8-)

"The Recoba Effect"
User avatar
jmg721
 
Posts: 5509
Joined: 2008 Dec 08, 23:47
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Ashley YOUNG

Postby fishdalf » 2008 Dec 21, 13:45

Well he's as fast as Mutu, if not faster. The other guy i'm not too familiar with, you would have to tell me if those direct comparisons are fair.

User avatar
fishdalf
 
Posts: 962
Joined: 2008 Dec 12, 07:34
Location: Liverpool, UK
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Next

Return to Manchester United FC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests