Carles Puyol

Moderators: JuLiTo, brazilianpesfan, Korinov, Fixer, Xyder, Mod's

Carles Puyol

Postby PES Stats Database » 2008 Dec 09, 10:57

EXPLANATIONS (outdated):
Spoiler: show
This is Carles Puyol, a word-class defender and the loyal captain of Barca. One of the most hardworking defenders ever, he gives 100% in all his performances. Gifted with great strengh and amazing speed he can eliminate even the quickest strikers. He is also a potent threat when he gets up in attack and he can also play as an aggressive side back to support the flanks. I know the stats look like the defaults but KONAMI did ok with him and I also expect a discussion here ;)

CLASSIC SET(S): 2005-2006 & 2009-2010

Spoiler: show

Original set by Bitz with some tweaks.

Last edited by Nrby on 2009 Jun 21, 09:29, edited 4 times in total.
PES Stats Database

by »

Re: Carles PUYOL

Postby imi » 2008 Dec 31, 07:26

no he isnt better than them on positioning.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2009

imi

Postby fillerup » 2009 Mar 09, 13:14

i think he needs d-line*, because he leads barca and spanish backline

fillerup

Postby imi » 2009 Mar 15, 19:25

first, 87 for his BB is so on fair at least compare him by Tevez and Rooney.

second, his Res is high and 88 is better because he is so fast and by this high Res he going to cut many passes and collect many loose balls.
by 88 and this high speeds he will be for real.
plz dont say that no his game reading is great because Res is speed of thinking so he dont need that high Res because he is enough fast.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2009

imi

Postby Aureliano Buendía » 2009 Mar 15, 21:50

fillerup wrote:i think he needs d-line*, because he leads barca and spanish backline

Agree here

Aureliano Buendía

Postby Alcohomicide » 2009 May 02, 16:22

Is Puyol really as good in defence as Vidic and Carvalho!?? I would lower his def to 87-86, because this makes him one of the best CB's in the world. ...Which he isn't. :o

"When we were winning leagues and European Cups at Real I always said Makelele was our most important player. There is no way myself Figo or Raúl would have been able to do what we did without Claude and the same goes for Liverpool and Gerrard."
Alcohomicide

Postby jmg721 » 2009 May 02, 16:31

I think Red had him at 95 def :shock:

"The Recoba Effect"
jmg721

Postby Alcohomicide » 2009 May 02, 16:34

jmg721 wrote:I think Red had him at 95 def :shock:

He did. He also over-rates Mascherano's passing and won't listen to anyone.

"When we were winning leagues and European Cups at Real I always said Makelele was our most important player. There is no way myself Figo or Raúl would have been able to do what we did without Claude and the same goes for Liverpool and Gerrard."
Alcohomicide

Postby jmg721 » 2009 May 02, 16:58

he made stats for Mascherano? I thought that LFC made them, and Gooner told him that the passing was too low :?

I'll admit that Red is stubborn, but he is well respected. But he is just one opinion also :ugeek:

"The Recoba Effect"
jmg721

Postby Alcohomicide » 2009 May 02, 17:07

Oh aye, Red's a fantastic stat maker. More often than not he's spot on. But I was talking with lfc re passing stats red thinks for him and... well. :? I was surprised to say the least.

Anyway!! Back on topic, what do you think of Puyol's defence? I know he's a very good defender, but I have never really seen defensive performances from him to warrant such world beating positional stats. I just don't think he's on the level of Carvalho or especially Vidic. I guess maybe Vidic could go up, but then you could argue other's could too.

Last edited by Alcohomicide on 2009 May 02, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
Alcohomicide

Postby Xyder » 2009 May 02, 17:09

Alcohomicide wrote:Is Puyol really as good in defence as Vidic and Carvalho!?? I would lower his def to 87-86, because this makes him one of the best CB's in the world. ...Which he isn't. :o

What kind of joke it's that? Puyol is one of the bests of the world without doubt, thanks to his phisical abilities and his positioning, saving incredible goals and marking like a mad dog to the rival forwards. FC Barcelona leader, and Spain NT too.
His def it's ok as it was, ok Vidic has a great positioning sense, for sure better than Puyol, raise it I have no problem, otherwise Carvalho it's a great defender, but I don't put his def over Puyol.

Carles Puyol best moments

Otherwise, this night we have a nice prove to see his positioning sense versus Madrid.

Xyder

Postby Nrby » 2009 May 02, 17:16

Alcohomicide wrote:Is Puyol really as good in defence as Vidic and Carvalho!?? I would lower his def to 87-86, because this makes him one of the best CB's in the world. ...Which he isn't. :o

you can't really compare it ... EPL is totally different to La Liga ... I really believe that if Vidic and Puyol would change clubs they wouldn't do as good as they currently do ... both have advantages and disadvantages but as a whole they are top defenders ... positioning wise similar ... Vidic stronger and better in the air ... Puyol faster and longer lasting ... Vidic wouldn't keep up to what Puyol dose in a match so Puyol covers a lot more ground ... Puyol has a bonus going forward he can anytime fill the any SB position where Vidic is made purely for the CB position

Nrby

Postby jmg721 » 2009 May 02, 17:31

My personal opinion...is that I have never really rated Puyol on the world-class level in just positioning. i feel he has other aspects of his game that are world class....just that his positioning has shown many flaws in the games I have watched him closely over the years. But I am far from an expert on him....just a casual outsider 8-)

"The Recoba Effect"
jmg721

Postby Vandeach » 2009 May 02, 19:25

I think it is laughable that Red rated Puyol at 95 for defence, if so then surely Nesta must have a 97 or 98 on his option file! Puyol is a world class defender, but in positioning he is not. He has great reactions(which could probably go down by 1), pace and strength which make him a world class defender, I don't see how his positioning is this much better than Gallas, who relies purely on it perhaps an 87 defence for Puyol?

"If you are first you are first. If you are second, you are nothing" - Bill Shankly.
"I guarantee fourth place" - Rafael Benitez.
Vandeach

Postby chanman » 2009 May 02, 19:40

I think his stats are fine the way they are, because Puyol IS an excellent defender. At the least lower it to an 88 but thats it. I really feel its not fair to compare him to Vidic & Carvahlo, as someone stated, they play in different leagues. There is a similar debate with the Mascherano and Cambiasso comparisons, again two different leagues and playing styles.

chanman

Postby Alcohomicide » 2009 May 02, 19:58

Vandeach wrote:I think it is laughable that Red rated Puyol at 95 for defence, if so then surely Nesta must have a 97 or 98 on his option file! Puyol is a world class defender, but in positioning he is not. He has great reactions(which could probably go down by 1), pace and strength which make him a world class defender, I don't see how his positioning is this much better than Gallas, who relies purely on it perhaps an 87 defence for Puyol?

Thank you for putting my thoughts into words!!

No one is saying he is not a class defender, but I don't think his positional sense is up there with Ricky and Nemanja. I don't think it's unfair to compare them, either.

Alcohomicide

Postby Vandeach » 2009 May 02, 20:04

88 does seem fair, I have no doubt his positioning is great but the current value does seem slightly over the top, also does he deserve this high team-work, at the moment he is 3 points over John Terry, but I guess he could be higher, I am aware that Puyol is great leader I was thinking both could have 87 and the *D-Line control.

"If you are first you are first. If you are second, you are nothing" - Bill Shankly.
"I guarantee fourth place" - Rafael Benitez.
Vandeach

Postby Alcohomicide » 2009 May 02, 20:10

I think 88 would be the max. I think his other classy attributes inflate peoples perception of his positioning, though.

Alcohomicide

Postby Nrby » 2009 May 02, 20:15

Alcohomicide wrote:I think 88 would be the max. I think his other classy attributes inflate peoples perception of his positioning, though.

for ladder reasons I could agree with 88

Nrby

Postby PMC » 2009 May 02, 20:18

regarding the positioning argument... one has to consider that Puyol has alot more ground to cover than Vidic and that can affect one's positioning... Vidic is taking care of the space as Fergie orders him to and no one can penetrate this where as Puyol covers half the pitch because of Barca's attacking style... it will obviously mean that Puyol will be more likely to be caught off guard. Picture Vidic in Barca's team and he'd suffer alot more positionally as well

I'm against you
PMC

Postby Nrby » 2009 May 02, 20:21

PMC wrote:regarding the positioning argument... one has to consider that Puyol has alot more ground to cover than Vidic and that can affect one's positioning... Vidic is taking care of the space as Fergie orders him to and no one can penetrate this where as Puyol covers half the pitch because of Barca's attacking style... it will obviously mean that Puyol will be more likely to be caught off guard. Picture Vidic in Barca's team and he'd suffer alot more positionally as well

great argument there I say rate him according to his league ... and if people do consider that he is the best positional defender in la liga then give him the stats he deserves ... if he ever plays (probably never will) in the EPL we will be able to compare him to others ... I kind of have to swallow my last post :P

Nrby

PreviousNext

Return to FC Barcelona