Attributes Explained

Moderator: Mod's

Attributes Explained

Postby ingus » 2012 Jun 10, 11:09

Attack:

Attack is the danger level of a player whenever he is in offensive play. Players with high levels of attack will know the best course of action to take in whatever situation he faces. Attack's significance as an attribute is amplified by other stats, which will dictate his style of play. These traits pertain to the player's role. For example, a playmaker will be better at dictating play and
recognizing chances, while a striker will become more potent, and adept at overcoming whatever obstacles are in his way.

Defense

Defense is Attack's counterpart. Rather than a player's ability to know the correct action while on the ball, Defense is the player's ability to defend while off the ball. A player with a high Defense rating will be more competent in his defensive duties and will have a better chance of knowing the best course of action in whatever situation that may arise. One key aspect of Defense relates to a player's aptitude at dispossessing others. While a player with a high Defense rating will be more successful at this, a player with a low Defense rating will not be. However, the Defense stat is not all-encompassing of a player's overall defensive abilities, as other stats play a large part in dictating a player's effectiveness.

Body Balance

Body Balance essentially is a player's strength. Players with high Body Balance are more able to knock the opposition off the ball and to withstand tackles and other physical confrontations. A defender with high Body Balance would be more adept at using brute force to deal with the oppositions' attacks, and to overpower them and win the ball in that manner. Likewise, an offensive player with high Body Balance would be much more difficult to knock off the ball and more resilient in physical confrontations.

Stamina

Stamina represents a player's level of energy. A player with an excess of Stamina will be able to take part in more, such as running to contribute to the defense or offense. A player with lower Stamina will need to play more conservitively with their energy (less running/less activity that they don't actually need to do).

Top Speed

Top Speed is a player's top running speed while off the ball.

Acceleration

Acceleration indicates how quickly a player is able to reach their Top Speed.

Response

Response essentially equates to a player's reflexes. Defensively, a player with high Response is more likely to collect loose balls and to intercept passes. Offensively, high Response players are more likely to get on the end of spilled chances/loose balls and crosses, etc. High Response is a very desireable stat for poacher-type players.

A by-product of having high Response on defensive players is that it causes players to move to the ball more. In essence, a defensive player with high Response becomes more aggresive in seeking out the ball.

Agility

Agility determines how fast a player is at moving his body. A player with high Agility is more adept at making movements, such as turns, quickly. Agility is not, however, how well they move or how intelligent/skilled their movements are. Agility is related solely to the speed of their movements.

Dribble Acuracy

Dribble Acuracy indicates the level of control a player has with the ball at his feet while dribbling.

Dribble Speed

Dribble Speed is how much speed a player is able to maintain while on the ball.

Short Pass Accuracy

Short Pass Accuracy indicates how much accuracy a player has in his grounded passes.

Short Pass Speed

Short Pass Speed dictates the speed a player can put on his grounded passes. It also has the additional effect of giving players more range in their passes. This is a very important attibute to players who make deep, grounded through balls (30 yards or so).

Long Pass Accuracy

Long Pass Accuracy indicates how much accuracy a player has in his arial passes.

Long Pass Speed

Long Pass Speed represents the amount of power a player can put into his arial passes.

Shot Accuracy

Shot Accuracy relates to the level of accuracy a player has while shooting. Players with high Shot Accuracy will be more able to shoot the ball into hard-to-reach places for the keeper, such as the corners. High Shot Accuracy makes a player more likely to score.

Shot Power

Shot Power is the level of power a player puts into his shots.

Shot Technique

Shot Technique is a player's ability to shoot from awkward positions and angles.

Free Kick Accuracy

Free Kick Accuracy indicates a player's level of accuracy when taking free kicks.

Swerve

Swerve determines how much curve a player can apply to a free kick or corner. One thing that you might not realize, however, is that this value also dictates how well a player can make the ball drop after it clears the defensive wall. A player with high Free Kick Accuracy but poor Swerve may be able to clear the wall and send his kick in the right direction from sub-25 yard distances, but the ball will rarely dip sufficiently to trouble the goalkeeper.

Header

Header Accuracy is the level of accuracy a player has when hitting the ball with his head.

Jump

Jump indicates how high a player can jump to challenge for aerial balls.

Technique

Technique represents how good a player is at trapping the ball. Essentially, how good their first touch is. Players with high levels of technique, will be able to trap difficult balls with ease.

Mentality

Mentality is how well a player deals with adverse situations. Mentality also effects Stamina. Players with high Mentality will not be as effected by depleted levels of Stamina.

Teamwork

Teamwork relates to supportive off the ball movement. A player with high Teamwork (Xavi, for example) supports their teammates by moving around the field, making themselves available for potentional passes. Additionally, in the case of defenders, Teamwork effects a player's ability to work with his defensive teammates as a unit.

Teamwork is not, despite previous beliefs, at all related to how good of a playmaker a player is.

Special Abilities Explanations:

Dribbling:

"Player tends to dribble (when AI controlled)." --> Description changed a bit, but completely the same as always. An obvious one, the description says it all.

Tactical Dribble:

"The player will try to hold on to the ball by dribbling." --> Description changed a bit, but generally the same. It changed the slightest in game terms, but mainly on the better, the player is now more capable of holding up the ball properly and waits for a player to come near to lay it off for him.

Positioning:

"Improves positioning when receiving passes and crosses." --> Description changed completely, and player behaves differently than in prior versions of the game. The Positioning star from prior versions of the game has enhanced a players positional sense while in the box. The "new" version of Positioning makes a player come a bit backwards (withdraws a bit from the defensive line) to receive a pass when he's not in the box (useful for Target Men) and enhances the players ability to make himself open for a pass thus removing the reason to increase a players TW stat to prevent him from passing the ball too much as a forward. The behaviour in the box remains the same as in prior versions of the game. Also when a player who has a Marauding (in a lesser degree and success rate is lower) and/or Line Breaker gains a tendency to come a bit deeper to receive a pass and play a "one-two" pass with a player nearby and then attack the defensive line with an aggressive run.

Marauding:

"The player will make frequent runs to try and get behind the opposition defence." --> Former Reaction. Description has changed a bit, but completely the same as always. It makes a player attack the defensive line with and aggressive forward run. On midfielders, it makes them generally arrive late in the box looking for a rebound or an open shot on goal.

Playmaker:

"Improves the team's off the ball movement when in possession." --> Description change a bit, a player with this star behaves slightly different than in prior versions. The Star now acts like a version of the []Talisman card, driving the whole team forward and improving their positional sense (enhancing TW) so that they can make themselves better at finding space to receive a pass and enhances the general movement of the team's attacking flow. Apart from that, it enhances a players passing skills slightly and a player's tendency to pass the ball.

Passing:

"When on the ball, other players make intelligent runs to receive passes in better positions." --> Description changed a bit, but generally the same. The Passing star encourages a player to attempt more through balls than he usually would and makes players infront of him to make better forward runs at attacking the backline, generally enhancing their positional play. It doesn't enhance passing skills.

Goal Scorer:

"Improves positioning and responsiveness to passes leading to more goals." --> Former Scoring. Description has completely changed and so has the players behaviour. The Star now has some characteristics of the prior version of the Positioning Star and solely enhances a players movement inside the box and improving his "poaching" instincts and the general ability to pounce on rebounds and react faster on loose balls in the box. It doesn't enhance shooting abilities inside the box and near the box like it did in prior versions of the game.

1-on-1 Scoring:

"Easier to score when 1-on-1 with the goalkeeper." --> Description changed a bit, but completely the same as always. An obvious one, the description says it all.

Target Man:

"Improves the ability to hold the ball up when playing up front." --> Description changed a bit, but completely the same as always. The Star gives a slight boost to a forwards BB when trying to hold the ball with his back against an opposing player and makes a player play with his back facing the goal. IMPORTANT! This Star does not make a player act like a "Target Man" in-game, it just makes a player to play with his back towards the goal. To recreate a "Target Man" a player must have assigned the following stars: *Positioning (makes the forward more open to a pass when not in the box), *Target Man (makes the forward play with his back facing the goal, holding up the ball until a player passes nearby for a lay off) and *Tactical Dribble (prevent the forward from venturing forward with the ball).

Line Breaker:

"Improves the timing at which the player makes a run off the last defender." --> Former Lines. Description changed a bit, but generally the same. The Star encourages the player to constantly attempt a run off the last defender and enhances the players timing of the run so that he can be better at beating the offside trap.

Long Shots:

"Improves accuracy on long ranges strikes." --> Former Middle Shooting. Description changed a bit. The Star enhances a players accuracy on shots from outside the box and also gives a vicious dipping effect (topspin) on their shots. Also the Star encourages a player to shoot more from long range.

Wide Player:

"Player prefers to play out wide." --> Former Side. Description changed a bit, but completely the same as always. An obvious one, the description says it all.

Central Player:

"Player prefers to play down the middle." --> Former Centre. Description changed a bit, but completely the same as always. An obvious one, the description says it all.

PK Taker:

"Makes the player a better penalty taker." --> Former Penalties. Description changed a bit, but completely the same as always. The star makes it extremely hard for a player to miss the frame of the goal, but it doesn't enhance the chance of the player to score or improve his accuracy on penalties.

1-touch Play:

"Improves accuracy on one-touch play." --> Former 1-touch Pass. Description changed a bit, but completely the same as always. The star enhances a players passing and shooting from first touches on the ball.

Outside Curve:

"Improves accuracy when using the outside of the foot." --> Former Outside. Description changed a bit, but completely the same as always. An obvious one, the description says it all.

Man Marking:

"Stays tight on the opponent when marking." --> Former Marking. Description changed a bit, but completely the same as always. The Star enhances a players defensive ability at guarding his man/designated spot (depending on the previously set tactic "Man Marking" or "Zonal Marking"), anyways a player with this Star will be better at keeping his marker at bay and sticking most of times on him like a fly on sh*t.

Sliding:

"Reduces the risk of conceding fouls when slide-tackling." --> Description changed a bit, but completely the same. An obvious one, the description says it all.

Covering:

"Improves the ability to cover for other defenders who have been passed." --> Description changed a bit, but completely the same. An obvious one, the description says it all.

DF Leader:

"Improves command of the backline, making offside traps more effective." --> Description changed a bit, but completely the same. An obvious one, description says it all.

Penalty Stopper:

"Improves chances of saving penalties." --> Description changed a bit, but completely the same. An obvious one, description says it all.

1-on-1 Keeper:

"Improves response to close range shots making it harder for the opposition to score when one-on-one." --> Description changed a bit, but completely the same. An obvious one, description says it all.

Long throw:

"Improves the range on long throws." --> Description changed a bit, but generally the same. An obvious one, description says it all.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

LeMisérable wrote:im not mad, why should I be mad just because of you, your nothing, 1 in 7 billion, i mean dude
ingus

by »

Re: Attributes Explained

Postby ingus » 2012 Jun 10, 11:13

This is not 100% complete. I didn't do mentality indepth as some people seem to disagree with what it does, same as jump. I explained the main things, but didn't go into confusing details. This doesn't seem like much, but this took 3 hours working together with another person explaining to them stats and how they work (someone whos doesn't know anything about football), and trying to work to sum everything up into short and precise explanations. I'm going to clean this thread of things I deem unessacry and confusing... agin not 100% finished.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

LeMisérable wrote:im not mad, why should I be mad just because of you, your nothing, 1 in 7 billion, i mean dude
ingus

Postby tuco55 » 2012 Jun 10, 11:22

Nice work Jurgens. Maybe I am being dumb, but where is Mentality ? I can't see it there.

We just need some figures to judge against now. 8-)

tuco55

Postby Korinov » 2012 Jun 10, 11:31

Regarding Response, I'd include a warning about the fact that it can be -sometimes- counter-productive in the case of defenders, since them being aggresive and rushing to the midfield to intercept a ball can become disastrous if they fail to win it and the opposition team continues the attack... with a defender completely out of position and leaving the defensive line in shambles.

Image Korinov la Komadreja
Spoiler: show
jurgens wrote:korinov clearly jinxed atletico. jealous of their succes he struck with kind words laced with hispanic voodoo.
Korinov

Postby ingus » 2012 Jun 10, 11:32

added mentality, it's bare minimum explanation right now as we don't have a global consensus.. yet. I'm working on explaining the scales.. and examples of sets that are in the new standard, gonna make more threads. Will take awhile though, it's a lot of work :(

ingus

Postby čale » 2012 Jun 10, 11:35

@Korinov

but that's where the DEF stat jumps in, am i not right? i mean, if a player has high DEF and high RES judging by his high DEF he'll be able to pick the correct time to surge forward, but if he has low DEF and high RES he'll do it on a constant basis and THEN exposing his backline.

Fixer wrote:No wonder there's a 'penetration' stat, all of them players look like rapists

MocaBG wrote:Because you are a nerd and have no life.
čale

Postby čale » 2012 Jun 10, 11:40

added the "Special Abilities Explanations" as well.

Fixer wrote:No wonder there's a 'penetration' stat, all of them players look like rapists

čale

Postby ingus » 2012 Jun 10, 11:59

čale wrote:@Korinov

but that's where the DEF stat jumps in, am i not right? i mean, if a player has high DEF and high RES judging by his high DEF he'll be able to pick the correct time to surge forward, but if he has low DEF and high RES he'll do it on a constant basis and THEN exposing his backline.

they still do it all the time with high def.. t.silva does it so much. it's a double edged sword

ingus

Postby čale » 2012 Jun 10, 12:01

of course it is, but given that he has high DEF he'll pick the correct timing and will probably succeed in it while the other guy with low DEF won't be as successful as the first one.

čale

Postby Kerry » 2012 Jun 10, 12:25

I think you should add that Shot Technique have an effect not only from awkward angles and positions, but also first-time volleys and acrobatics. Just to make things clear.

And forgive me for this but, you spelled Dribble Accuracy wrong. I'm sorry :P Just want to make things tidy and neat.
EDIT: Fantastic work btw 8-) If you need help in the near future I can help

mracho wrote: Well, then he/she was an idiom with a T at the end.

Farés L'arrogante Image
Kerry

Postby Akiak » 2012 Jun 11, 10:41

Great job, this is a step in the right direction. But I have a few doubts for a couple of stats:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Swerve affects not only free kicks and corners, but also crosses. We've used this criteria for players like Manfred Kaltz and his banana crosses, and from my playing experience I think it's true.

Another one is technique. I've noticed plenty of times that players with high TEC are much more comfortable at playing passes from awkward angles. I've done a few quick tests on the Wii version (where you can place passes wherever you want) using two players with red SPA, but one had 95 TEC and the other had 65. The first player almost always got the pass in the right spot, no matter how weird the angle was. He played more heel passes, and sometimes he even used his chest or his knee. The other player always had to turn around to pass the ball behind him, and this often resulted in mis-placed passes despite his red SPA.
I guess you could consider this a consequence of having a good or bad first touch, but I think it should be specified in the description.

Akiak

Postby čale » 2012 Jun 11, 11:47

oh i forgot to say that TECH has a somewhat massive impact on lobs, try doing a lob with a player with SA 90 ST 90 and TECH 70 and then the same player with just TECH 90 as well.

čale

Postby Korinov » 2012 Jun 11, 12:18

čale wrote:of course it is, but given that he has high DEF he'll pick the correct timing and will probably succeed in it while the other guy with low DEF won't be as successful as the first one.

I don't really think DEF influences their timing so much... it just makes the player more likely to win the ball since he'll probably do the tackle/interception better. I'd rather believe TW influences more the timing issue, although I'm not sure about it.

Image Korinov la Komadreja
Spoiler: show
jurgens wrote:korinov clearly jinxed atletico. jealous of their succes he struck with kind words laced with hispanic voodoo.
Korinov

Postby furymaker » 2012 Jun 11, 12:22

also you should add TW for SMF works in way that players with higher TW are moving more towards the centre of the field , also when defending they are just standing in the circle :)

furymaker

Postby Gugu » 2012 Jul 24, 17:20

Thanks for this jurgens ;)

Gugu

Postby MikadoRyugamine » 2012 Jul 30, 03:44

Will midfielders with a high response stat become proficient at both making interceptions, collecting loose balls defensively, and goal poaching and collecting loose balls offensively? Or is there a way to make a midfielder have good responses defensively with bad responses offensively, and vice versa?

MikadoRyugamine

Postby bitz » 2012 Jul 30, 07:04

MikadoRyugamine wrote:Will midfielders with a high response stat become proficient at both making interceptions, collecting loose balls defensively, and goal poaching and collecting loose balls offensively? Or is there a way to make a midfielder have good responses defensively with bad responses offensively, and vice versa?

Things like Attack/Defense values and special abilities dictate where Response is applied. A midfielder with ATT<DEF and high response will be more proficient at collecting loose balls defensively and the opposite. *Enforcer will enhance the players interceptions in the central areas and *Box to box will make him intercept more upfront. You get the idea.

Visit my alt thread: http://pesstatsdatabase.com/viewtopic.php?f=1011&t=25348
bitz

Postby MikadoRyugamine » 2012 Aug 01, 05:54

Thanks for the help, bitz.

MikadoRyugamine

Postby ingus » 2012 Aug 22, 03:11

Good example of TW I'd say

WATCH XAVI. Iniesta plays a miss-pass that Dani Alves barely keeps in. Dani is now in a situation where he could potentially lose possession, xavi sees this and abandons his normal field position to run out and give Dani Alves a passing option to maintain possession.

ingus

READ PLEASE!

Postby čale » 2012 Sep 23, 12:16

sorry for the "ugly" name but i thought that this was somewhat important so i wanted to get as many opinions on the issue as possible.

a few changes in explanations regarding a couple of stats in PES 13:

Attack - As new abilities have been added to the PES series, the Attack rating - once an umbrella attribute (??) that represented many different player characteristics - has decreased in importance in PES 2008, it's primary function is as an indicator of how well an attacker can resist the attention of his markers.

Defence - The higher the stat is the better and faster the player is at performing challenges and sliding tackles. With the latter, it also has an influence on how quickly a player can get to his feet.

Explosive Power - Indicates a players agility and mobility. Agility determines how quickly a player performs kicks, tricks and general movements. The higher it is, the more rapidly he will perform them. This is especially noticeable with first-time kicks and passes.

Response - This is a very important attribute. Response indicates how quickly a player thinks: players with high levels will collect more loose balls, intercept more passes, and getting into positions for shots and headers. For CPU-controlled players (including goalkeepers) this can be said to show how fast a players' reflexes are.

Shot Accuracy - If a player makes a good, clean connection with the ball while making an attempt on goal, his Shot Accuracy influences how precise his aim will be.

Technique - Technique determines how well a player can trap and control the ball; it's also taken into account when a player makes a first-time pass or performs certain tricks. It also has a less obvious function: the higher it is the more accomplished a player will be at performing chipped shots.

Mentality - Mentality indicates a players commitment and drive. When his Stamina level is depleted, a player with a high Mentality level will be much more likely to maintain his general level of dedication that a similarly exhausted player with a low Mentality rating. The overall impact of Stamina loss on abilities is also reduced.

it seems that they've finally given us better explanations for these stats since the definition changes with the new-gen. it's also interesting how we've only been using 1 out of 4 things while rating TECH.
Also it seems that ST is now primarily dependent on the players' body position during a shot.
I'm a bit confused by the EP explanation tbh...i've just seen it and felt it as "burst" so far...

čale

Next

Return to Attributes analysed and explained