Gary LINEKER | 1985-1988

Moderators: Korinov, Epsi, Adrien, jurgens, Brezza, frshmn, Albo7

Gary LINEKER | 1985-1988

Postby Brezza » 2008 Dec 11, 03:23

Club: Everton (1985/1986), FC Barcelona (1986/1988)

Growth type: Standard/Lasting

INFO:

Gary Lineker is one of football's gentlemen. In all his professional career, he didn't receive a yellow card. A silent man off the field, on it he was deadly. He started his career in Leicester scoring nearly 100 goals in less than 200 appearances. In 1985, a year before the Mexico World Cup, he moved to Everton and personally he had a fantastic season. Player Of The Year and topscorer that season with 40 goals in total. Everton, despite Lineker's goals, ended up runners-up in both the league and the FA cup after their rivals Liverpool.

In the 1986 World Cup England started slowly and needed a win in the last group match against Poland to progress to the knockout stage. A Lineker hat-trick got them through, and Paraguay, the next opponents couldn't cope with Lineker either and England won 3-0 (Lineker 2 goals). In the quarter final, Argentina and Maradona proved too strong. "The hand of God" and an individual brilliance by the little man sent Argentina through, but Lineker scored England consolation goal and that saw him topscorer in that tournament. Lineker later had spells with Barcelona and Tottenham, where he among the trophies won the Cup Winner's Cup and the FA Cup.

In 1990 England reached the semifinal, Lineker scored four goals on their way there, making him only the 8th player in World Cup history to score 10 goals or more. He bowed out in the 1992 European Championship in Sweden where he and England had a disappointing tournament. All in all for England he scored 48 goals (one goal behind Bobby Charlton's record) in 80 matches.

HONOURS:

Club
Leicester City
Football League Second Division: 1979-80
Everton
FA Charity Shield: Winner 1985
Barcelona
Copa del Rey: Winner 1988
European Cup Winners' Cup: Winner 1989
Tottenham Hotspur
FA Cup: Winner 1991
FA Charity Shield: Shared 1991
International
80 Caps 48 goals
Individual
English league top scorer: 1985, 1986, 1990
FIFA World Cup - Golden Shoe: 1986 (Mexico)
PFA Players' Player of the Year: 1985-86
FWA Footballer of the Year: Winner 1985-86, 1991-92

VIDEOS:

ADDITIONAL LINKS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Lineker

http://www.planetworldcup.com/LEGENDS/lineker.html

http://www.garylineker.net/

http://www.goal.com/en/news/2274/goalco ... -lineker-9

http://srb.worldfootball.net/spieler_pr ... /#redirect

" If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
Brezza

by »

Re: Gary LINEKER | 1987/1990

Postby Alcohomicide » 2009 Jan 19, 16:50

Is his teamwork correct??

"When we were winning leagues and European Cups at Real I always said Makelele was our most important player. There is no way myself Figo or Raúl would have been able to do what we did without Claude and the same goes for Liverpool and Gerrard."
Alcohomicide

Postby Brezza » 2009 Jan 19, 16:54

Id say so, despite being a poacher he wasn't he would sometimes come back and influence teamoves/good understanding with teammates etc.

" If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
Brezza

Postby Alcohomicide » 2009 Jan 19, 17:01

Oh, aye. I was just thinking in terms of the CPU. I mean, he wasn't totally selfish, but if he was in a shooting position I thought he almost always took the shot over the key pass. But I could be wrong!! :oops:

"When we were winning leagues and European Cups at Real I always said Makelele was our most important player. There is no way myself Figo or Raúl would have been able to do what we did without Claude and the same goes for Liverpool and Gerrard."
Alcohomicide

Postby Vandeach » 2009 Jan 19, 17:18

I don't agree he always shot and never passed its ridiculous to even have him at green value for TW imo he was just in the right place at the right time. I'm unsure on this high attack and response also he wasn't as good as Toni,RVN or Muller imo. My uncle is an avid Tottenham fan and described him as having no real technical ability apart from finishing ability. I'd drop his speed and teamwork by a lot I have no idea where 87 acceleration came from its huge for Linekar!

Heres how I'd put Linekar in terms of 'poacher' stats

Attack: 97
Response: 94
Shot Accuracy: 95/96
Shot Power: 77
Shot Technique: 86

I've kept attack the same as his positioning was supreme but I've dropped response still at an incredibly high level because although his reactions where great I think its an area in which top top poachers like Toni, RVN and Muller are quite ahead of him. I've also raised SA I mean his shooting was deadly accurate but unsure on the exact value. I've also lowered ST quite a bit because unlike RVN he never scored from awkward angles, only tap ins.

I'd also like to see a drop in physical stats

Top Speed: 79/color]
Acceleration: [color=yellow]82

Dribble Speed: 80

He was never that fast tbh and never ever beat players with pace.

And a little drop in technical stats:

Dribble Accuracy: 74
Short Pass Accuracy: 69
Short Pass Speed: 70
Team Work: 73

His dribbling was never good it wasn't even punt and run because he never dribbled! Also he never passed so should have low passing stats. Team Work is pretty self explanatory.

"If you are first you are first. If you are second, you are nothing" - Bill Shankly.
"I guarantee fourth place" - Rafael Benitez.
Vandeach

Postby Alcohomicide » 2009 Jan 19, 17:47

That looks fair. His teamwork stat looked well enormous @ yellow.

Alcohomicide

Postby Brezza » 2009 Jan 19, 17:56

Updated. Slightly disagree with one or two things. probably was overzealous in his speed stats but he wasn't that slow, he could run in behind defenders at was rather quick over a few yards or so, and example would be his goal for Everton in the 86 cup final, also watch some videos in the first post.

Ive rated response at 95 he was just as good as Inzaghi is nowadays in this aspect and his ball control was never that poor or, besides he wont attempt many dribbles whith the stats he has without any dribbling stars.

Brezza

Postby Vandeach » 2009 Jan 20, 19:57

I can't agree to response being on par with Inzaghi I think your forgetting that 93 is an incredibly high number but maybe a compromise at 94 I don't think he should be red.

Also you can't say he wasn't a selfish poacher its a poachers job to be selfish! And he was always looking to capitalise on the work on the work of others he doesn't need a high teamwork due to him already having high response,attack and shot accuracy values he will get onto the end of passes because of high attack and response values.

Furthermore my speed stats don't make him slow just average fast with a nice burst,maybe I was a little harsh though perhaps TS: 81 ACC: 84?

Lastly I still think its unfair to have dribble accuracy that high take Odejayi for example(strange example I know) he has quite decent ball control and has a dribble accuracy of 77 considering he never dribbled 74 is more than fair imo.

"If you are first you are first. If you are second, you are nothing" - Bill Shankly.
"I guarantee fourth place" - Rafael Benitez.
Vandeach

Postby Classical » 2009 May 27, 14:13

It came to my knowledge that he had this strange fobia: he didn't attack the ball (heading concerning) full throttle since he feared some brain damage. The point is: if he could avoid it he would.

So what about his heading stats?

ps: it was a spurs fan who told me this

When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. Eric Cantona
Classical

Postby Plava Čigra » 2009 Sep 26, 02:07

His Era should be extended to 1985/1990 (Age: 25-30). His teams should be Everton (1985/1986), Barcelona (1986/1989), Tottenham Hotspur (1989/1990).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Linek ... statistics

Plava Čigra

Re: Gary LINEKER | 1985/1986

Postby Gammergq » 2009 Dec 14, 13:00

His shot acurracy should be 95/96 this and Lineker timming was what made him one the greatest strikers in the world you have got his shot power right but the acurracy needs little ammending also in the new card format I would put him down as a fox in the box as far as poachers (which konami defined wrong in this game) Lineker no doubt one the greatest the world has seen he was ruthless he pounced when least expected in the box.

Gammergq

Re: Gary LINEKER | 1985-1990

Postby frshmn » 2012 Apr 02, 12:57

I might be the only one, but having tried this set out in game, I think these values make Lineker far too gifted both physically and technically. I have some rather extreme changes in mind which will no doubt be hard to swallow but, having tested these values in game, I'm pretty sure they fit Lineker well as a player.

Attack: 95 - Considering the ATT stat is now responsible not only for offensive positioning, but also general effectiveness when attacking, I could see Lineker coming down a few points. His movement was elusive - beyond any doubt - but he also had a tendency to break down attacking moves with poor decision making. In short, his movement in and around the box was outstanding, but his build up play could be so frustrating at times.

Top Speed: 80 - Put simply, Lineker was never a fast player, and he especially didn't have the pace over distance to threaten opposing defences (as an 85 value would possibly have you believe). He could generate decent speed over distance, at times, but usually he was caught out. I think the only saving grace he had when it came to latching on to through balls and what not, was due to his impressive timing, ability to react, and to a lesser extent, his ability to cover ground over short distance.

Acceleration: 82 - Pretty much the same story as above, except he's awarded a higher ACC value on the basis that he COULD show good acceleration when running on to incisive passes.

Agility: 81 - He looked very rigid and lethargic when he was dribbling, and so his dribbling never really extended beyond running in a straight line. However, he was excellent at collecting the ball with his back to goal, swivelling and then shooting (although he was partial to clumsily scoffing his shot at times).

Dribble Speed: 78 - Links in with the above explanation - Lineker often looked very lethargic on the ball, and really only used his pace when he wasn't in possession.

Shot Accuracy: 91 - Lineker's goals really only occurred from inside the six yard box, and you don't necessarily need a 94 SA value to replicate this in game. I'd compare him to Inzaghi in this regard, because both of them relied moreso on pure positioning, rather than the ability to find the corners. This may be rather controversial, but I find that Lineker could, at times, be rather wasteful anywhere outside the six yard box.

Shot Technique: 85 - A very slight decrease, because although Lineker could get some excellent shots on target even under pressure and from tight angles, I wouldn't put him on par with the likes of Miccoli, Dzeko, Totti and Messi (lul), who are all capable of consistently striking the ball excellently regardless of angle or pressure. Also, as I explained in the AGI section, he was prone to fluffing shots.

Curling: 75 - He was very straightforward when it came to shooting, and didn't really over elaborate with curling efforts or chips. He was clinical and stylish in his finishing, but didn't really curl the ball.

Jump: 82 - He could jump well, but didn't really generate the height to earn anything over an 83, in my opinion. Considering he was never really a threat in the air, I don't think it'll make too much of a difference, but it's more of a cosmetic thing.

Technique: 80 - He didn't over elaborate with his first touch, but even then he had a frustrating tendency of letting the ball bobble off him and go a lot further than he perhaps would've wished.

Last edited by frshmn on 2012 Apr 02, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Madvillain.
frshmn

Postby Brezza » 2012 Apr 02, 17:50

Very good suggestions and they suit new standards to a tee. I only really disagree with an acceleration drop, but in truth the era is a bit too long. He wasn't quite this fast early 90's Spurs era, but one of a younger Lineker at Leicester/Everton/Barca
main weapons was his searing acceleration to get away from his markers. One of the reasons why Cruyff actually played him as a right winger for Barcelona.

He was a poor dribbler ( or at least never dribbled as his game wasn't based around it) but I think his initial first touch and chest control was very good actually, especially when receiving balls over the top off defenders and such.

I think I put curling that high as I was under the impression that it influenced chip shots which he was quite good at. Not sure about that anymore.

Brezza

Postby frshmn » 2012 Apr 02, 17:58

Brezza wrote:Very good suggestions and they suit new standards to a tee. I only really disagree with an acceleration drop, but in truth the era is a bit too long. He wasn't quite this fast early 90's Spurs era, but one of a younger Lineker at Leicester/Everton/Barca
main weapons was his searing acceleration to get away from his markers. One of the reasons why Cruyff actually played him as a right winger for Barcelona.

He was a poor dribbler ( or at least never dribbled as his game wasn't based around it) but I think his initial first touch and chest control was very good actually, when receiving balls over the top off defenders and such.

I think I put curling that high as I was under the impression that it influenced chip shots which he was quite good at. Not sure about that anymore.

My mistake, I hadn't noticed the era! The changes I've suggested are really only viable for his time with Tottenham, as that's the only period in time when I could watch him consistently.

Maybe you're right about the TEC, Brezza - I can only speak for his time at Spurs, so I guess you're better placed to pass judgement on this set.

Formerly Madvillain.
frshmn

Re: Gary LINEKER | 1985-1988

Postby jurgens » 2012 Apr 05, 20:23

Sorry didn't see this. I agree that lineker didn't score much from outside the 6 yard box, he was a typical poacher and just needed to get his chances in, but he did get them in and a lot of them. Thats something that can't be overlooked for a massive goal scorer like lineker. The other 95 is probably too high for his finishing style, but a 91 is too low for a scorer of his caliber. As SA is by far and large the biggest decider of AI goal scoring. I'd go with a value inbetween, and lower his DA and DS as he won't be able to burst and shoot so easy then. Probably white for both DA/DS. I've never seen him run with the ball really, and his control is really poor.

I have no clue why he doesn't have red response. He is without doubhts at least 95, I've got him on 96. We had playeres like Batistuta on red response... despite the fact that this was one of his secondary skills and something he really didn't use much to score.. then we have Lineker who lived by his response.. and basiclaly nothing else to produce him goals.. and he was given lower resp.

I wouldn't put him on par with the likes of Miccoli, Dzeko, Totti and Messi (lul), who are all capable of consistently striking the ball excellently regardless of angle or pressure.

Really dzeko? The slightest bit of pressure and he'll sky it everytime.... unfortunately. He doesn't need an outstanding value, but an 85 is too low. He'd get the ball in however he could and was far above average at first time shots and just sliding shots etc.

As for curl.. low 60's. Anything higher is too much. Hes not a player who'd take finesse shots and curl it in the top corner, just got it in.

His head needs to be higher aswell. Even just looking at goal comps you can see he's capable of heading it pretty nicely. Low 80's should suffice.

Stamina is way too high too. Any poacher like lineker.. needs no stamina in game really.. they don't move much so they don't use much energy. A value this just means you could run all day with R1 and hound defenders.. which he didn't do. I've got him on 79. Current values more suited to an SS.

Sorry for the late reply, wasn't looking in here. I'll try get round to some other "big" english players as I've updated my entire english allstars team to new standards recently.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

LeMisérable wrote:im not mad, why should I be mad just because of you, your nothing, 1 in 7 billion, i mean dude
jurgens

Postby frshmn » 2012 Apr 05, 20:35

Really dzeko? The slightest bit of pressure and he'll sky it everytime.... unfortunately. He doesn't need an outstanding value, but an 85 is too low. He'd get the ball in however he could and was far above average at first time shots and just sliding shots etc.

Yeah, I thought that'd looked dubious, especially considering his form of late, but I'm pretty confident in Dzeko's ability, and I think he can be an absolutely superb striker off the ball on his day (his ''days'' don't often occur, sadly).

I'm not sure who it was against, I'm thinking Tottenham, but there's one goal he scored where he struck the ball so sweetly first time (second goal of a hat trick I think?). I suppose that one goal maybe clouded my judgement of his ST overall. Maybe. :P

I can't agree to an increase in header. It's true, he scored the odd headed goal, but in general his heading was erratic. A lot of the time his headers lacked direction, or just seemed to float off his head. Doubtless, he scored a few clinical textbook headers in his time, but by no means does he deserve a yellow value. Might be an odd comparison, but I actually feel his presence in the air is similar to Steven Gerrard. I might be the only one, but I've always felt that they shared a very similar technique when it comes to heading the ball.

His Stamina might just be too high, but I should add I still go by the ''older'' standards, where an 84 value would've been average (I think). In any case, for the sake of newer standards, I think he'd be an 80 at most.

As far as ST goes, I was unaware that an 85 value is considered barely over average. Lineker doesn't really need anything higher to achieve those sliding goals and first time shots - he'd already be excellent at getting ahead of defenders with his ATT and RES, and the 85 ST coupled with the 1-touch cards should be sufficient for those sliding goals.

EDIT: Tried to find a record of Lineker's headed goals, and I came across a particular website which asked if Lineker had a phobia of heading? Can't say I've ever noticed it, but maybe it's something to think about? :P

Formerly Madvillain.
frshmn

Postby Brezza » 2012 May 30, 22:51

Re-re updated. His header was really nothing special (or his ears just got in the way :lol: ) and he indeed said that he had a phobia of it..He would usually close his eyes wish for the best the big tart :P.

His headed goals where more of a right place right time thing imo.

Brezza

Postby jurgens » 2012 May 31, 02:24

I don't think his agility should be so low, hes fast in his body movements.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

LeMisérable wrote:im not mad, why should I be mad just because of you, your nothing, 1 in 7 billion, i mean dude
jurgens

Return to 80's