Giacinto Facchetti | 1965-1970

Moderators: Korinov, Epsi, Adrien, ingus, Brezza, frshmn, Albo7

Giacinto Facchetti | 1965-1970

Postby Brezza » 2008 Dec 10, 19:01

Name: Giacinto Facchetti

Club: F.C. Internazionale Milano

INFO:

There was an air of nobility about Giacinto Facchetti. A tall, elegant and imposing defender in his playing days, he rarely seemed to lose his cool. Even in the history of a giant club like Inter his name will long be remembered. As well as being an outstandingly talented player, Facchetti also had the good fortune to be around at the best moment in the Nerazzurri History.

Inter was the club for which he played for his whole career during the 1960s and 1970s, playing 634 official games and scoring 75 goals. He played for the Internazionale team remembered as La Grande Inter. Facchetti is remembered as one of the first truly great attacking-full backs. He would make marauding runs upfield using his wonderful dribbling and crossing. He could also play at centre-back where his tackling was used to great effect. He also possessed wonderful stamina and scored important goals.

Giacinto, however, was not just a great football player and executive. He will always be remembered as a gentleman on the pitch he was sent off only once (that too for sarcastically applauding the referee from the bench for his personality, fair play and the leadership skills that made him a natural-born captain both for Inter and the national team.

VIDEOS:

ADDITIONAL LINKS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giacinto_Facchetti

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 627951.ece

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/bob.dunning/facchett.htm

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/stati ... index.html

Last edited by Adrien on 2013 Apr 05, 07:34, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Updated Height/Weight
" If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
Brezza

by »

Re: Giacinto FACCHETTI | 1965-66

Postby Classical » 2009 Oct 11, 11:59

This video may bring some ideas to Facchetti's stats.

I reckon that most of the current stats make are correctly set, the DA, SP, BB, Ment...

I would only like to suggest changings on the following:

Def: 78 to 81. Even if he gets a wonderful ratio att/def like the one I am proposing, he probably deserved as he was really a nice defender. Check 0m57s and 1m02. These two plays are a combination of response and defence. 81 is not a big value for someone who really knew how to impose himself and to put himself in the correct position to defend.

Heading&Jumping: Most definitely one added value of his game. He was tall and strong yes but it looks he actually also possessed his share of technique while heading and made some leaps for a man of his size. I would say they should go from 86/82 to 89/83.

Thanks!

When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. Eric Cantona
Classical

Re: Giacinto FACCHETTI | 1965-1966

Postby Oriello » 2009 Nov 10, 22:59

I want to clarify if Facchetti is going to remain on an 81 in Defense? As I have seen it go up and down between an 87 and 78 I think and it has been difficult to get a bearing on what I should rate some other players comparitively - This is a bit of a roadblock of a tweaking to Szymanowski who I have at 83 - this was fine on the old site when Facchetti was 87, but now Szymanowski above the Italian. :shock: :?

I seen Facchetti only in 1974, far from these peak years (65-66 :oops: ) when he was playing well as what seemed to me a CB role, but then again I was not giving too much attention to exactly what the individual Italians were up to, but I gauged enough to sort of give me an idea how the Poles measured up.

Brezza please do not take my query the wrong way, about a shifting value, I just want to have a solid base number to rely on when I am trying to scale some of the 74 players, as not to adjust Symanowski down only to see Facchetti go up later. :lol:

It might be a case of Facchetti having matured into a different player by this time and being able to be fielded in a different manner.?

Oriello

Postby REAL_MADRID » 2009 Nov 11, 15:27

He could run 100 meters in under 11s, according to this, he deserves a increase in his TS and ACC

REAL_MADRID

Postby Plava Čigra » 2009 Nov 15, 06:35

I just want to state that, in my opinion, current Attack/Defense values are pretty much spot on. He really was offensive full-back but his defensive positioning was very good, better than his positioning during attacks (at least that's how I saw it in those ECC Finals videos). I'm glad that *Sliding is removed, because I can't remember that he tried to get ball in that way, during those Finals (I wanted to suggest that change a week ago, but I had too many other things on my mind ;)).

Plava Čigra

Postby Oriello » 2010 Jan 23, 22:47

Notes Italy 1-2 Poland 1974 WC Group stage, realize not applicable to this set but if another was to be made a person might look in this thread for reference;

-CB ManMarking Lato, thus mostly on left 'side' (Lato "RWF") of defence but really following Lato's movements
-Out for throw on right in own half
-Now up on CK having played it short to him on the left wing! resulting play good curling effort on goal just wide of far post from edge of box (SP 80-81, curl 84ish)
-Good reading of play
-Keeping pace with Lato despite age 31
-Tackle misses Deyna by what seems like minutes :lol:
-JMP lower than younger set of 82
-Shepearding Lato expertly with BB and just enough pace to negate him often
-DEF seems high on many occasions in 1-1 handling of Lato, even though ref was calling fouls for some reason. But his DEF looks average at best on crosses/CKs...though he is clearly the best/tightest Italian MM, Morini and Benetti often letting their players go loose
-Tries to join attack but ref in his way so falls to ground and pass meant for him lost and quick turn over, on getting up moves back to MM Lato.
-Lato's minor agile turn completely shakes him, Faccheti folds over as he tries to recover in the other direction, might be losing some energy not as sharp as first half anymore (55min)
-Nearly connects head to Mazzola FK delivery into box
-Up in box on end of Benetti cross trying to create something, heads ball back into play from goal line (cross was going out) - significance being up so high in attack in open play but Italy 2-0 down at this point...
-Great header on goal off cross from short CK, Fantastic GK save denies Italy goal, only thing was header was rather central, if it was a little more wide left goal for sure
-Layoff from FK by Capello, Facchetti low ground hard shot into bottom near corner, routine GK save (SP 84?)

Played "Left CB" (though Morini was liable at times to be much more on the flank acting like pseudo leftback on the attack but was really a free roaming CB, so Facchetti in idle situations was most left.) His RES was still impressive at this era maybe not 92 but very competent in reading plays and minmizing threats involving his man Lato (practically invisible all match, only a few occasions due to his sheer pace Lato managed to wrangle free)

Oriello

Postby Classical » 2010 Jan 25, 09:47

Dear Oriello:

The impression you got was from 74, somewhere about 8/9 years after this set of stats which are for his peek.
This makes me wonder if, at his peek, his physical stats are correctly accrued or not.

And at that precise game, he was dealing with a speed demon like Lato, if he did allright how was him almost 9 years before? I mean he shouldn't be weaker or slower, so was he quicker and stronger that the WC74 matches? Or the same?

We could have a valid discussion here.

When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. Eric Cantona
Classical

Postby Oriello » 2010 Jan 26, 02:03

Well I am sure Faccehti would not be done a diservice if he had a second set of stats like Maldini has for an older version (though that may be a steep task), as I think part of his legend aura at Inter was because he had a looong career with no peak, but a plateau of a high standard of play. ;)

To sort of better illustrate, Lato really could not use his best speed all match, as the Italians played continually deep, so there really was no space to exploit. But not to diminish the fantastic job that Faccheti did in minimizing him out of the match, really top drawer man marker Facchetti was. Only in one instance did Lato hit top gear, that was on a loose ball that he had to track back from Italy 18-box (Facchetti for once not at his side) into midfield then Lato got into a race with Morini and CK was reslut. But on that match and on account of his CB role I proabably would have had Facchet (age 31) roughly at DEF 85/86, BB 84/85, TS 82/83, ACC 84, RES 87-90, though that is more a rough impression.

After viewing those world cup matches again I have settled the demon Lato at TS 93 ACC 89, so not as speedy as his current set indicates ;) Faccheti just kept himself very physically in good condition and for a big man (who are known to 'age' poorly, more liable to breakdown for injuries).

Oriello

Re: Giacinto FACCHETTI | 1965-1968

Postby Plava Čigra » 2010 Feb 04, 17:00

Brezza already updated Facchetti to new format. TS and ACC have been raised recently (each by 2 points).

I've just added Additional Links, Growth type, Attack/Defence Awareness Card and extended Era from 1965-1966 to 1965-1970.

Plava Čigra

Re: Giacinto FACCHETTI | 1965-1970

Postby Fevernova » 2011 Jun 18, 17:54

Brezza, why is Facchetti on 1.91 m and 82 kg? All sources I´ve found state he was 1.88 m - 85 kg...what source did you find that confirm he was even taller? ;)

"Sometimes one may feel like a Mammoth, cornered by Saber tooths, but one day the Mammoth will come-back right at them..."
Fevernova

Postby Peppino meazza » 2012 Feb 11, 19:11

He was an attacking full-back, with excellent physical skills and techniques , with sprinter qualities, so as to have won the championships in Bergamo in 1958 Student of the 100 meters with a time of 11 seconds

This formation from this http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giacinto_Facchetti

Peppino Meazza
Peppino meazza

Postby frshmn » 2012 Feb 11, 19:28

Peppino meazza wrote:He was an attacking full-back, with excellent physical skills and techniques , with sprinter qualities, so as to have won the championships in Bergamo in 1958 Student of the 100 meters with a time of 11 seconds

This formation from this http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giacinto_Facchetti

This is the thing which surprised me most about Facchetti's stats. While I don't know whether or not he could run the 100 metres in a time of 11 seconds, every source which I've read or heard regarding him speaks of his excellent ability to cover ground. While it may not mean much, I distinctly recall World Soccer magazine writing an article about him followng his death, and they emphasized his speed over distance.

I should add, I don't agree with the basis that he deserves a speed increase because of his 100 metres time. While speed values probably should be measurable in practice, in reality it's far harder to award a player an accurate speed value.

Formerly Madvillain.
frshmn

Return to 60's