Fernando PEYROTEO | 1946-1947

Moderators: Korinov, Epsi, Adrien, jurgens, Brezza, frshmn, Albo7

Fernando PEYROTEO | 1946-1947

Postby Classical » 2008 Dec 23, 18:50

Name: Fernando Peyroteo

Says: "ENORMOUS. A huge trophy (Century Cup) which fits the leonine striker, biggest scoring machine of world football".

His trademark - Jumping in the air while knocking down the defender to the ground. Epic!

Club: Sporting CP
Number: 9
Position: *CF
Nationality: Portuguese _por
Era: 1946/1947

Foot: R
Side: B

Height: 187 cm
Weight: 91 kg

Attack: 97
Defence: 32
Balance: 98
Stamina: 83
Top Speed: 77
Acceleration: 75
Response: 94
Agility: 76
Dribble Accuracy: 78
Dribble Speed: 74
Short Pass Accuracy: 77
Short Pass Speed: 75
Long Pass Accuracy: 71
Long Pass Speed: 68
Shot Accuracy: 95
Shot Power: 93
Shot Technique: 84
Free Kick Accuracy: 64
Curling: 61
Header: 94
Jump: 85
Technique: 80
Aggression: 93
Mentality/Tenacity: 84
Goalkeeper Skills: 50
Team Work: 84

Injury Tolerance: A
Form/Condition/Fitness: 7
Weak Foot Accuracy: 7
Weak Foot Frequency: 7
Consistency: 8
Growth type: Late peak

CARDS:
P21: Fox in the Box
S01: Reaction
S03: 1-on-1 Finish
S05: 1-touch Play

SPECIAL ABILITIES:
*Positioning
*Scoring
*1-1 Scoring
*Post Player
*Middle Shooting
*Centre
*1-Touch Pass

Attack/Defence Awareness Card: Attack Minded

INFO:

"Peyroteo was born and began playing football in Angola, at Sporting of Luanda Club. In 1937, when he was 19, he moved to Portugal where he was hired by Sporting Club de Portugal.

Peyroteo scored 331 goals in 187 league games, establishing him as the Portuguese first division (nowadays known as BWINLiga) All-Time-Top Scorer, surpassing Benfica's legendary striker Eusebio, who has a record of 319 league goals. He is also the soccer player with best rate of goal by game (1,6751) in soccer's history, leading a select list of the only 15 players who have more than a goal by game.

Among other records Peyroteo scored once nine goals in one match (against Leça, 1941/42), eight goals in another (against Boavista, 1948/49), in three occasions six goals, in twelve matches five goals, and in seventeen matches four goals.

He only had 20 caps for the National Team, but he scored 15 goals, since his first game, in 14 April 1938, aged 20, in a 1-1 draw with Germany, until his last appearance, in 20 March 1949, aged 31, in a 1-1 draw with Spain."

So apart from the stats, Peyroteu was a one-of-kind player that would shame Adriano today in terms of bulk force, he was a force of nature without anyone capable of stopping his tremendous physical power. Not only he was strong, he had a very strong shooting as well always making the keepers tremble upon his presence in the last 30 metres. He scored from anywhere and from heading too, he used his physical advantage to gain position and then head towards the net - the heading as well with sheer force.

Also he was very determined to win every game as he simple never gave up of tormenting the defences, not even when victory was 100% sure, and he was a gentleman inside and outside the field, respected by opponents and fans as a man of honour.

He was part of the amazing attack that dominated Portuguese Football in the 40s alongside Travassos, Vasques, Albano and Jesus Correia - named "Os 5 Violinos" which means "The 5 Violins" - that, unfortunately, never played together for European cups since there were none at the time.

I am adding just part of the thread down there, it may prove useful to the player portfolio:

Last days I did some research and got info from several sites (including from the site of Sporting CP) and I got an old book that tells about the History of Portugal 3 Big Clubs (Benfica, Porto and Sporting).

From these sources I got some info, read some articles and saw several pictures. I will summarize the main ideas, quote some sentences and finally, expose the updates on Peyroteo's stats and give my interpretation/explanation to them.

So here it goes:

Firstly he was a very determined and consistent man, with honour and courage. The articles of that season tell us that he never gave up while playing and was everytime a gentleman inside and outside of the pitch. He refused better offers than Sporting's before signing due to the fact that he already had given Sporting his word.
Following this logic, he was also proud to not show pain from the hard training he got when arriving Europe with just 19 years at the time. Since we was reckoned with such potential, Sporting's coach at the time - Josef Scazbo- took the young diamond into his hand and sharpened his skills by forcing him to do extra training after regular trainings, to extend his technical and tactical knowledge further. This on regular squad's training, apart from that, Peyroteo got 2 extra trainings per week just to put him in sharp physical shape by going into the woods and run 54 extra kms per week (remember that at the time there were no professional footballers, and he was getting not just extra training from the clube but also extra individual training and he had his regular daily job as well) as he was a very peculiar specimen of constitution, strength and bulk force.

In a time where Sporting's 5 Violinos ruled the domestic panorama, their squad was filled in with the Violinos (Violins - who had splendor in technique and class) and the Bombos (bass drums - who supported with determination and physical power the Violin's classy football), and Peyroteu was described as "Even among the forwards, Peyroteo main cards were his awesome physical superiority and his shoot power".

Others quotes:

"Peyroteo has some excellent physical resources and possesses an easy finishing touch"

"Fernando Peyroteo started as a forward with an out-of-the-kind physical fit, who had a tough relationship with the ball and faced some dificulties in his movimentation trough the field."

So with this last quote, I will enphatize his sheer determination and consistency who got him to transform into a scoring machine. He was good at the beginning but with training and more training he got into a star who overwhelmed his opposition. And he managed to stay ahead of his own time because of all these points combined.

Reffering to this stats, I am aware that, if today, Peyroteo would numbers would not be these ones as if, per example, Robinho played in the 40s he would be be better than Maradona. This doesn't matter in my opinion because a player is what he is according to the age's circumstances and, at the time he played, Peyroteo's numbers (I humbly believe) were, if not equal, very similar to these ones. Yes he was strong, yes he had a great scoring gift and yes he was very good. To the more ceptic you will have to check the statistic beyond his career which illustrates him as a proliferic scoring machine.

The critics always resembled his performances with words such as determined, fearless and excellent finishing skills.

He remains as a legend forever.

VIDEOS:

Portugal 2 : 2 Spain, 1945
Peyroteu shoots at the woodwork and later scores.

Just for Portuguese speakers here...

Sporting CP All Stars: club-all-star-teams/sporting-clube-portugal-all-stars-t7374.html

Last edited by Classical on 2010 Jan 24, 14:14, edited 29 times in total.
When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. Eric Cantona
Classical

by »

Re: Fernando PEYROTEO | 1946-1947

Postby mcmattie » 2011 Jan 21, 22:00

Hey I don't know him, but if he really was this good then I'm wondering why I have never heard of him before. Because these stats remind me of Van Basten. Makes me doubt the reality of these stats..

mcmattie

Postby yourigo » 2011 Jan 21, 22:32

He has the best goals per game ratio in the history of football, although sources go from 1,67 to 2,17 goals per game, just google it. He scored 600+ games in 300+ games. Btw there's no point in saying a player is overrated in this era, they all are badly rated because there's hardly any video footage, they're just made for fun by people who spent their childhood hearing about their achievments and want to share them with other football fans...this one's not even very overrated when you compare him to these:
http://pesstatsdatabase.com/viewtopic.php?f=182&t=8988&p=176993&hilit=+milutinovic#p176993
http://pesstatsdatabase.com/viewtopic.php?f=182&t=8867&start=20 (doesn't he make puyol look like shit? :mrgreen: )

by your pic i'm guessing you like dutch players so why not give your oppinion on this overrated player:
http://www.pesstatsdatabase.com/viewtopic.php?f=184&t=3058

"You do ill if you praise, and still worse if you reprove in a matter you do not understand." - Da Vinci
yourigo

Postby CDDRodrigo » 2011 Jan 21, 23:01

Hendrik Johannes Cruijff OVERRATED? You gotta be kidding me.

CDDRodrigo

Postby yourigo » 2011 Jan 21, 23:53

obviously not when you compare him to others in the classic section, just see the other two links i've put up there, cruijff isn't worth anything compared to them, but i still think he's overrated. Had any member of this site even been born when cruijff played, he would have had a chance to see him play week in and week out and be objective about cruijff and maybe then we'd have a chance to evaluate him correctly. Personnaly, i've seen games of cruijff from 71 to 76 (ajax and NT, i admit i haven't seen him for barcelona) on espn classic and i got the impression that he clearly was heads and shoulders over other players, but other than that he just reminded me of kaka' before the injury, not even kaka' at his best. People say he's the best european player ever, i say he doesn't stand a chance for that title against zidane or ronaldo for example.

Cruijff stood out among players who were generally a lot weaker than they are today, football was slower because players were in worse shape. Cruijff could spend the night drinking and smoking and wake up the next day and still kick ass...he'd be butchered by a player like vidic if he did that nowadays.

don't get me wrong, i'm not attacking cruijff in particular, almost no classic player is objectively made, they have their name, their legend going for them...i enjoy playing with classic teams, like arsenal a few years back, milan in the 80's and so on...i still can honestly say that a player like rijkaard is overrated.

"You do ill if you praise, and still worse if you reprove in a matter you do not understand." - Da Vinci
yourigo

Postby Edward Teach » 2011 Feb 15, 14:29

yourigo wrote:He has the best goals per game ratio in the history of football, although sources go from 1,67 to 2,17 goals per game, just google it. He scored 600+ games in 300+ games. Btw there's no point in saying a player is overrated in this era, they all are badly rated because there's hardly any video footage, they're just made for fun by people who spent their childhood hearing about their achievments and want to share them with other football fans...this one's not even very overrated when you compare him to these:
http://pesstatsdatabase.com/viewtopic.php?f=182&t=8988&p=176993&hilit=+milutinovic#p176993
http://pesstatsdatabase.com/viewtopic.php?f=182&t=8867&start=20 (doesn't he make puyol look like shit? :mrgreen: )

by your pic i'm guessing you like dutch players so why not give your oppinion on this overrated player:
http://www.pesstatsdatabase.com/viewtopic.php?f=184&t=3058

With all due respect, it doesn't take much to make Puyol look like shit, he is one seriously ugly munter!

PS Players throughout history can be better than contemporary ones, even if you've never heard of them.

My other mode of transport is a Galleon.

"We want Geoff, we want Geoff!"
Edward Teach

Postby Classical » 2011 Feb 20, 00:02

read the profile, this was some serious player!

When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. Eric Cantona
Classical

Postby Fried » 2011 May 05, 21:56

Classical wrote:He is also the soccer player with best rate of goal by game (1,6751) in soccer's history, leading a select list of the only 15 players who have more than a goal by game.

Mário de Castro, who probably doesn't appear in the list, had arguably a better ratio (195/100), in a place of Brazil, Minas Gerais, which is largest than Portugal.
http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A1rio_de_Castro#Informa.C3.A7.C3.B5es

Fried

Postby Fried » 2011 May 06, 22:36

Fried wrote:
Classical wrote:He is also the soccer player with best rate of goal by game (1,6751) in soccer's history, leading a select list of the only 15 players who have more than a goal by game.

Mário de Castro, who probably doesn't appear in the list, had arguably a better ratio (195/100), in a place of Brazil, Minas Gerais, which is largest than Portugal.
http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A1rio_de_Castro#Informa.C3.A7.C3.B5es

Another site, also in Portuguese, states 203/90 (2.26 instead of 1.95 goals per game).
http://esporte.uol.com.br/futebol/biografias/365/mario-de-castro//

Last edited by Fried on 2011 May 16, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
Fried

Postby Luisao82 » 2011 May 11, 08:48

I was gonna write something, but forget it. I'll just loose my laziness and do some research. ;)

If bullfighting is culture, then cannibalism is gastronomy.
Luisao82

Postby Classical » 2011 May 11, 09:57

China is also bigger than continents but that doesn't seem to change their player's goal ratios.

The link is not in english, I should advise to link english subtitle as not everyone is able to read portuguese.

Finnaly, can you please point out in the article where it states the ratio? I don't find it. And the article is marked as an "suspicious article" by wikipedia which, by standard patterns, doesn't seem a good principle when quoting/retrieving info.

Let's stick to football discussion, shall we?

Classical

Postby Uzair » 2011 May 11, 16:19

why do so many of the old-time strikers have average shot techniques? could they really not shoot well under pressure and off balance?

Uzair

Postby Classical » 2011 May 12, 11:14

good question, Uzair

there is a pattern there , and maybe I took it into consideration when creating Peyroteo.

Still, it seems to me this was really a bulky player and to recreate that style of play I've chosen to give him the current value.

Classical

Postby Fried » 2011 May 14, 00:12

Classical wrote:China is also bigger than continents but that doesn't seem to change their player's goal ratios.

Have mentioned Minas Gerais being largest than Portugal because someone could argue that Mário de Castro achieved his ratio in local competitions, not national ones.

Classical wrote:The link is not in english, I should advise to link english subtitle as not everyone is able to read portuguese.
Finnaly, can you please point out in the article where it states the ratio? I don't find it. And the article is marked as an "suspicious article" by wikipedia which, by standard patterns, doesn't seem a good principle when quoting/retrieving info.
Let's stick to football discussion, shall we?

The wikipedia article, which mentions sources, states:
Numa época em que o futebol tinha um calendário tímido, com encontros em poucos finais de semana do ano, Mário de castro marcou 195 gols em 100 partidas, tornando assim o jogador profissional com a maior média de gols por partida do mundo, 1,95 por jogo.

It can be translated as:
In a time when football had a short calendar, with meetings in few weekends of the year, Mário de Castro scored 195 gols in 100 games, making him the player with the greatest gols per game ratio in the world, 1.95 per game.

As for the article being marked as suspicious (as well as anyone can write an article, anyone can mark one), guess this link, also in Portuguese, is more reliable:
http://www.galodigital.com.br/enciclopedia/M%C3%A1rio_de_Castro

Last edited by Fried on 2011 May 16, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
Fried

Postby Classicalis » 2011 May 16, 09:33

Hi there:

Sorry for my venom answer before. I'm glad you've answered in a polite way.

I will change the sentence then to "one of the best games/goals ratio ever" (probably after ww2 will still be the best one, which is not saying little...).

I can't enter my account, so I've created this user - which is unable to change my creations....

Cheers

I am CLASSICAL (but I can't recover my account - don't delete Rijkaard, Ruggeri, Littbarski or any of the 5 Violins, you bastards!)
Classicalis

Postby beiderbecke » 2011 Jul 24, 16:01

Any reliable source saying he is 187cm? I ask because I have found two information he is 181cm and another that his length is 178cm, although by looking at his pictures, Peyroteo seems to be taller than the two information I just brought up.

http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?p=7558845

beiderbecke

Postby GoodOldClassical » 2011 Oct 31, 11:41

there seems to be no trace of his pysical stats from an official source I can find now, but that doesn't mean that the current values are not a fair guess, based on pictures and natural perception

that was the logic I've consider when creating the player, still if anyone could add some interesting point to this topic would be great, naturally

Sometimes you get submerged by emotion. I think it's very important to express it - which doesn't necessarily mean hitting someone.
Eric Cantona
GoodOldClassical

Previous

Return to 40's