Problems continue (SOLVED ... I think)

Problems continue (SOLVED ... I think)

Postby Nrby » 2010 Sep 02, 15:50

well dear PSD users ... we are in a delicate position

let's do a bit of explaining, until now we have been using a shared server (that means there were more sites on a single server including PSD) and apparently we managed to overload all those xeon quad whatever processors, the host told us we either go private or we are down, so we went private, the costs went up (way up ... financially it's a challenge for Fides and me) but the performance of the new server is significantly lower, so guests are banned for the time being ... who already has a user an use the forum ... who doesn't can't access the forum and can't register ...

Nrby

by »

Re: Problems continue

Postby Oswaldo » 2010 Sep 02, 16:30

It's a wise decision to private the forum. But Is it sure that guests cannot enter in some way? cuz I've read this down the index page.

(In total there are 187 users online :: 63 registered, 4 hidden and 120 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)

Also, thank you very much guys for ur efforts & sacrifice. I want to ask if is it possible to diversify the donation methods? I mean donation through mobile messages for e.g.

I don't live in Venezuela, but Venezuela lives in me
Descansa en paz, Roberto
Te echaré de menos
Oswaldo

Postby Nrby » 2010 Sep 02, 16:37

try and logout and see what it is like to be a guest (you can login any time) ...

... mobile donations aren't profitable at all ... it would cost more than it would make us ... we appreciate it but sadly the only donation method for now is paypal

Nrby

Postby Helios » 2010 Sep 02, 16:44

Donations are critically needed to keep the site on track. I comprehend.

Helios

Postby Gugu » 2010 Sep 02, 17:36

So I take it that the guests are seeing the block message?

Gugu

Postby Nrby » 2010 Sep 02, 18:00

for anyone who is curious what the guests see just logout

Nrby

Postby master smurf » 2010 Sep 02, 20:47

I too commend you and Fides on your efforts to keep this site going - This database is a part of my life just as my love for the game and the sport.

What could be done is a report to show what funds are needed annually/monthly so a proposed "membership / donation fee" could be done to assist in costs.

I have never donated as I hardly even buy stuff online but I know if given a cost per user per month to keep this site running efficiently I would do so gladly. Sure, everyone may not be able to contribute a set amount but if we know what financial burden you guys are taking on some of us would assist and that may go along way to keeping the site going.

Thanks again.

Dem no worry We
master smurf

Postby zuo » 2010 Sep 03, 02:11

after i saw on the facebook page what's happening....im really happy to see guests are disabled.
a lot of insulting on there........my time is not for them. i'm not here to give my time and get insulted cause
they can't access the board.
come on......if that is really that important,at least register!
...jason getting insulted here and there? fuck off! ban the guests forever!

Saving Private Adrian

zuo

Postby jmg721 » 2010 Sep 03, 02:22

Me and Tiziano were quickly discussing how even charging $2 a month per user would make a world of difference. Even if only 20% were willing to do that, that would be 1200 users and amount to $2400 a month. I think that money could go to the hosting fees, domain name, 2 administrators....and mods :D That way people who pay get to see the whole site. People who are registered but not paying are slightly limited, and guests don't exist anymore.

Maybe registered members who don't pay can't comment on posts. Or can only see the 1st post of each thread. Hmmm...what do you all think?

BTW, if I was getting paid even $50 a month I would be much more active. Just saying... :D

"The Recoba Effect"
jmg721

Postby Jez » 2010 Sep 03, 02:34

jmg721 wrote:BTW, if I was getting paid even $50 a month I would be much more active. Just saying... :D

Wouldn't we all? :D

"DEBT IS THE ROAD TO RUIN" David Gill August 2004

My blog is back, check it out! www.mybeautifulgame1.wordpress.com
Jez

Postby Nrby » 2010 Sep 03, 08:32

enable guests as a test for a bit ... tweaked the php and apache to see if we can go with more users ... I believe the limit would be around 200 simultaneous users on-line at one time ... working on extending that ...

Nrby

Postby Nrby » 2010 Sep 03, 10:16

well even with all the tweaks it's impossible with the current configuration of the server to hold up the amount of users that PSD is usually getting ... I'll keep searching

Nrby

Postby Gugu » 2010 Sep 03, 10:31

Nrby wrote:well even with all the tweaks it's impossible with the current configuration of the server to hold up the amount of users that PSD is usually getting ... I'll keep searching

Even with the disiabled guests and the host change :?:

Gugu

Postby Nrby » 2010 Sep 03, 10:40

with disabled guests we are fine ... I just need to see what I can do about the guests as well

Nrby

Postby Gugu » 2010 Sep 03, 10:46

Wouldn't there be excessive load on the servers still, as the guests are still accessing the website for the blockout message.

Gugu

Postby Nrby » 2010 Sep 03, 11:02

gugu2903 wrote:Wouldn't there be excessive load on the servers still, as the guests are still accessing the website for the blockout message.

na ... they can only see the empty index page ... nothing to do there

Nrby

Postby gee » 2010 Sep 03, 13:26

jmg721 wrote:Me and Tiziano were quickly discussing how even charging $2 a month per user would make a world of difference. Even if only 20% were willing to do that, that would be 1200 users and amount to $2400 a month. I think that money could go to the hosting fees, domain name, 2 administrators....and mods :D That way people who pay get to see the whole site. People who are registered but not paying are slightly limited, and guests don't exist anymore.

Maybe registered members who don't pay can't comment on posts. Or can only see the 1st post of each thread. Hmmm...what do you all think?

BTW, if I was getting paid even $50 a month I would be much more active. Just saying... :D

I think that we should pay a membership to go towards the fees and for the hard work that the mods do. Personally i think £2 per month is a bargain.

gee

Postby Gugu » 2010 Sep 03, 13:44

Not everyone can, it would lose it's 'accessibility factor', which is already lost to a small extent by the guest ban. Donations is enough

Gugu

Postby Nrby » 2010 Sep 03, 13:47

there will be no fee for members ... and this guest blocking is only temporary (I hope) ... users that will pay will ask for special privileges and I can't allow that ... there will be a solution I just have to find it

Nrby

Postby zuo » 2010 Sep 03, 15:38

Nrby wrote:there will be no fee for members ... and this guest blocking is only temporary (I hope) ... users that will pay will ask for special privileges and I can't allow that ... there will be a solution I just have to find it

what do you mean with special privileges?
as a member, i'd personally pay with happiness a symbolic fee like 2 $ for month..just for the service that the site offers
to me as a football/pes fan. I mean,IMO almost everyone would be able to pay that kind of fee.

Saving Private Adrian

zuo

Next

Return to News & Information