Luis Figo | 2000-2001 & 2005-2006

Postby PES Stats Database » 2008 Dec 12, 23:48

- 2000-2001:

Club: Real Madrid

- 2005-2006:

Club: F.C. Internazionale Milano

INFO:

Spoiler: show
Gifted with an extraordinary technical ability, aided to his good physical shape and strong charisma, enormous ambition and total dedication to his job, led him to become one of his generation greatests, with a fantastic career full of conquests.

Coming from "Os Pastilhas" (means "The Gums"), a small neighbourhood from Cova da Piedade, Figo (born: 04/11/1972) arrived at Sporting Clube de Portugal (SCP) with 13 years and shortly after he was being summoned up to the youth national squads in every rank, getting to be European Champion of u17 in 1989 and World Champion of u20 in 1991.

April 1990 saw Figo's debut with the SCP jersey, he was only 17 at the time but it was only in the 1991/92 season that he grabbed his place in the starting eleven, getting to the National Squad prime team as well.

With the arrival of Carlos Queiroz to SCP (who have been his coach in the NT youth squads), Figo blossomed as a footballer becoming the most shining star of the SCP team and being desired troughout all Europe. Sousa Cintra, president of SCP, failed to renew his contract and Figo departed to Barcelona after being forbidden of playing in Italy as he signed for Parma and Juventus.

Luis Figo was the greatest winger in the world during the last three decades and considered by many to be the greatest footballer ever to born in Portugal. He was a playmaking right-winger who had average speed but remarkable dribbling and the ability to make pinpoint passing and imagination to create assists. Figo started his famous with playing in Portugal "Golden Geneation Team" which consist of Paulo Sousa, Rui Costa and Jao Pinto, was notable for their beautiful style of play in midfield. Figo also was one of the most important roles helping Portugal reach the semi-finals in EURO 2000 and FIFA World Cup 2006 and the final of Euro 2004. Figo is one of the few footballers to have played for both the Spanish rival clubs FC Barcelona and Real Madrid where he won the Ballon d'Or in 2000 and FIFA world player of the year in 2001. He also played for Sporting Lisbon in his early career and Inter Milan in Late career. Due to his consistency, He played almost 800 games during his club professional career and scored more than 100 goals.

HONOURS:

Club
Sporting CP
Cup of Portugal: 1995
Portuguese SuperCup: 1995

Barcelona
La Liga: 1997–98, 1998–99
Copa del Rey: 1997, 1998
Spanish SuperCup: 1996
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup: 1997
UEFA Super Cup: 1997

Real Madrid
La Liga: 2000–01, 2002–03
Supercopa de España: 2001, 2003
UEFA Champions League: 2002
UEFA Super Cup: 2002
Intercontinental Cup: 2002

Internazionale:
Serie A: 2005–06, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09
Italian Cup: 2006
Italian SuperCup: 2005, 2006, 2008

International
FIFA U-20 World Cup: (winner) 1991
127 Caps 32 Goals

Individual
Ballon d'Or: 2000
FIFA World Player of the Year: 2001
FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 2006
FIFA 100
UEFA Team of the Year: 2003
Don Balón Award Foreign Player of the year in La Liga : 1999, 2000, 2001
Portuguese Footballer of the Year: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000
Portuguese Golden Ball: 1994
Best Portuguese player in the past five years (A Bola)

VIDEOS:

Last edited by Uzair on 2010 Apr 05, 14:12, edited 10 times in total.
PES Stats Database

by »

Re: Luis FIGO | 2000-2001 & 2005-2006 & 1994-1995

Postby Classical » 2010 Mar 10, 09:30

I am the most annoying guy in the world. But for a reason!!

Let's go over it:

"DS determines which % of your speed you'll keep when dribbling"

"DS determines the slowdown your player will have on each touch of the ball"

"The In-game explantion of this attribute in PES 2009 says that higher is the value lower it is the difference between the speed of the player running without the ball and the player running with the ball...so like we used to it. "

"Doesn't depend on anything. Dribble Speed dictates how much a dribble touch will slow the player down.
High Dribble Speed = very little loss of speed with the ball compared to without. "

You see, I got all of these user's quotes from topics related to dribble speed.

Figo was never a fast player (for a winger/side mid) and that is why he has his current values for ACC and TS.
Agree.
Now, we do know that since he was not a fast player, he didn't loose so many pace while dribbling. Actually he could have a very similar pace with or without the ball.

And if that is the idea behind DS, how can he have such a huge difference between DA (97) and DS (85) of 12 points????

Don't you feel him slow when you play with him? I mean really slow!
He doesn't need to have better ACC or TS because he was not any more faster. But he was no turtle with the ball. He had a splendid control while running with it, not only when he was stopped.

If a player "real" speed depends on his ACC/TS and if his speed with the ball depends on the DS (in relation with his primary speed parameters of ACC/TS) then a player with low ACC/TS and high DS will never be fast. It is mathematic here.

And that is why slow players don't need to have slow DS, that is doing the same thing twice with the respective consequences of underrating the player's true speed.

Without looking at the numbers (and I don't know about current players numbers, I admit) I would say a player who deserves slow DS is Fabregas as he dribbles but not progresses with the ball, he just dribbles to gain angle to pass.

Figo dribbled with the ball, and even if in a slow pace (compared to other players in that position), he was fast on dribbling comparing with his own speed stats!

Based on all of this you can find the reason why Figo DS should never be under 92.
Specially because this very same 92 would never make him run faster than his TS of 83.

And one more thing: I know this not only for the logic of it, but because I've tried to play with diferent values to find out which ones would fit better Figo's style of play. You can't run like a madmen with my values, but you can at least run for a while and then yes, dribble or pass or...cross.

When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. Eric Cantona
Classical

Postby Kanouté » 2010 Mar 10, 10:23

Classical, I always thought that like you. The same goes with Zizou, Xavi, Pirlo, Riquelme, Fabregas etc. Those players are not fast but their dribblings are handful everytime in real. When it comes to play in the game, those players' playing style with those stats is like defenders like Vidic, Terry etc.
So, the first and maybe the only agreement you'll get is by me. :)

Kanouté

Postby Luisao82 » 2010 Mar 10, 10:58

Classical wrote:Now, we do know that since he was not a fast player, he didn't loose so many pace while dribbling. Actually he could have a very similar pace with or without the ball.

And if that is the idea behind DS, how can he have such a huge difference between DA (97) and DS (85) of 12 points????

(...)

Figo dribbled with the ball, and even if in a slow pace (compared to other players in that position), he was fast on dribbling comparing with his own speed stats!

Very good point there. ;)

IMO Figo should have at least a 90 for DS.

If bullfighting is culture, then cannibalism is gastronomy.
Luisao82

Postby Classical » 2010 Mar 10, 11:19

Interesting answers my fellow statsmakers.

Thanks

When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. Eric Cantona
Classical

Postby Uzair » 2010 Mar 10, 17:36

ok i will take it into consideration. mind you, Figo really did seem to slow down on the ball to beat his player. the DS suggestion of 90-92 would only be for when he put the pace on. don't worry tho Classical, i've definately put on the table.

Uzair

Postby Brezza » 2010 Mar 10, 18:01

Figo could be deceptively very quick with the ball at his feet but like like Uzair said he did like to slow down and beat players with pure skill and was maybe 90+ only when he put on the pace on, so these things should be balanced .

Stats also determine the frequency of a players actions and with 90+ for dribble speed Figo will use this pace on the all the time constantly, just like when players are more likely to pass more with higher passing values. So I disagree with 90+ but he could probably have 87 like in his younger set.

" If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
Brezza

Postby Classical » 2010 Mar 10, 19:47

I thank you both for your consideration on my efforts to try to replicate even better what is already good.

Thing is, I think you guys are assuming the stats only on a AI point of view. Of course the point you mention that with DS over 90 makes him go for the wild run always is probably the best possible point to claim when to go against my logic. Because I agree with that, Figo didn't go always for the run, he indeed like to stop and then dribble. Actually it was one of his trademarks.

But, and this is quite important, we can't miss the human factor here. I mean, when we play with a player it is our choice to do what we want. Our ultimate goal must be to have a player that, if played (by human action) the way his real counterpart used to play in real life, does it good.

We want to be possible to dribble 5 opponents with Maradona, shoot from 30 meters often woith Matthaus, don't do half-pitch passes with Stam.... If we achieve this we're getting there.

And Figo, gentleman, I ask you:

To be stopped and then do a quick burst after a nice dribble, can we do it? Yes we can, the stats allow us to replicate that effect. And that is good.

But how about to run a few meters with the ball glued to the feet. Can we do it?
I think no, because he really looses speed with the ball. But in real life he didn't loose speed when he wanted to keep it going. He only lost pace when he wanted to go to the "accurate" dribble instead of the "speed" dribble. But that was his choice, and not a limitation of his game.

Conclusion: We should give the human player the ability to choose what to do ("rewarding" him with a greater odd of sucess in his action if he chooses to play like the replicate player used to do) instead of in a implicit way force him to do the most natural action.

PS: Seeing your notes on this, specially the parts "was maybe 90+ only when he put on the pace on" and "the DS suggestion of 90-92 would only be for when he put the pace on" gives strenght to my logic in my opinion. You already agreed that he deserves 90 or more to the DS, he just didn't use it often (which you all know I do agree) because his DA was even better. And it was (like the stats replicate, in a good way again imo).

Classical

Postby besthunter » 2010 Mar 10, 20:58

Fully agree with classical on this. I really hate the logic of how the ai will behave and how players stats should be assigned for the AI to play like them. Because this reason in itself is pretty stupid. Anyone with half a brain can tell you after watching a few matches that no players will play like their relaife counterpart due to the fact that the ai is simply RETARDED.

I have played a good few seasons in master league watching my team play.. trying to get that manager experience you could say. And no matter how much I watch the AI control my team, it never fails to amaze me at just how unrealistic and down right stupid the AI can be at times.

Some of the things I have seen the ai do, a real player would never ever do.
But of course, people will always say, we can't give said player said stats because it will make him play unlike his real life self. When they will never play like there real life self due to the terrible AI. The only way you will ever see a pes character, playing like its real life counter part, is in the hands of a competent and capable player. Limiting a players stats and ability to play like its real life counterparts in a humans hands for the sole reason "this will make the ai behave unrealistically" when the ai already plays completely unrealistic is just mind numbingly stupid.

besthunter

Postby Brezza » 2010 Mar 10, 21:12

Classical wrote:I thank you both for your consideration on my efforts to try to replicate even better what is already good.

Thing is, I think you guys are assuming the stats only on a AI point of view. Of course the point you mention that with DS over 90 makes him go for the wild run always is probably the best possible point to claim when to go against my logic. Because I agree with that, Figo didn't go always for the run, he indeed like to stop and then dribble. Actually it was one of his trademarks.

But, and this is quite important, we can't miss the human factor here. I mean, when we play with a player it is our choice to do what we want. Our ultimate goal must be to have a player that, if played (by human action) the way his real counterpart used to play in real life, does it good.

We want to be possible to dribble 5 opponents with Maradona, shoot from 30 meters often woith Matthaus, don't do half-pitch passes with Stam.... If we achieve this we're getting there.

And Figo, gentleman, I ask you:

To be stopped and then do a quick burst after a nice dribble, can we do it? Yes we can, the stats allow us to replicate that effect. And that is good.

But how about to run a few meters with the ball glued to the feet. Can we do it?
I think no, because he really looses speed with the ball. But in real life he didn't loose speed when he wanted to keep it going. He only lost pace when he wanted to go to the "accurate" dribble instead of the "speed" dribble. But that was his choice, and not a limitation of his game.

Conclusion: We should give the human player the ability to choose what to do ("rewarding" him with a greater odd of sucess in his action if he chooses to play like the replicate player used to do) instead of in a implicit way force him to do the most natural action.

PS: Seeing your notes on this, specially the parts "was maybe 90+ only when he put on the pace on" and "the DS suggestion of 90-92 would only be for when he put the pace on" gives strenght to my logic in my opinion. You already agreed that he deserves 90 or more to the DS, he just didn't use it often (which you all know I do agree) because his DA was even better. And it was (like the stats replicate, in a good way again imo).

And I think you are focusing too much on the human aspect :P , the way how the A.I player acts is a bit more important if you ask me. Judging how players play from a purely human perspective is very subjective based on peoples individual skill levels etc.

No offense to your PES skillz but I find some of your experiences have been a bit baffling to me especially if you think these stats make Figo 'turtle like' on the ball in the game . Also looking at your comments in the Gullit thread were you think he is underrated in the game after admittedly I think ive made him a bit too unstoppable. Hell, when I play with Drogba and Rooney they can be unstoppable in the game for me and Gullit is faar better stats than those two. Try and take other peoples PES experiences into context, we might be playing different versions of the game though im not sure.

Saying that he can be 90+ dribble speed when he put the pace on was probably poorly worded. Looking at it in a different perspective its like when rating strikers shooting abilities. Sometimes they can still replicate some superb angled strikes and volleys of those that have 90+ with mid 80 shooting values, its just that the consistency and frequency of how these players do such actions is how these stats should mainly be rated on and how we compare players stats with one another. Figo didn't consistently use that kind of on the ball speed to beat his markers all the time that was my point.

Imo 90+ is a bit too extreme at the end of the day especially if you take ladders into the equation, which i haven't even mentioned yet. You can still make very nice dribbles with him with 87 human controlled and it doesn't make him too fast on the ball when the A.I controls him IMO.

" If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
Brezza

Postby Classical » 2010 Mar 10, 21:41

1) I think we have different point of views in PES stats making, but there I admit I am some miles behind most of the good stats makers here. At least we seem to agree in something very important to discuss football in general, which is the way we see players plays, skills and facts.

2) My perspective on the skills might be different than your as well as I mostly play with kind of all star teams and it is obvious some players can't be super stars as they were in their prime time. Of course also I would love to say I am the king of my hill playing pes and the top earner but that would be also subjective. Nevertheless, there are players that I can do wonderful when I fail to do so with the likes of Gullit or Figo.

3) Ok I might got to use your words on a political way but the fact remains he could be fast with ball in his feet. Fast as almost as fast as without the ball. Not fast as he runs like Speedy Gonzalez. We already agreed and knew on advance that he is not like that.

What can I say, I am probably a rebel in what to comes to stats making standard patterns of PSD. I love this site which have given me so much and it is a pleasure to work here on so many projects. It is not stubborn, but I, as many other good members, probably don't follow line by line all the numbers on the site. And that is no problem, of course all of we, from so many diferent cultures and perceptions, have different points of views. It is the natural way of things. I go mainly againts the rating of Agility and, as it seems, Dribble Speed, but not for a single moment I stop to try to understand how people rate stats here.

This has come to be a kind of testimonial, now that I read it, but it what it is, just my opinion (clearly different here from the standards) and a somewhat luv declamation.

Going back to the original point, the Figo stats, probably you guys shall speak and if you get to an update based on some of my logic...happy me :D if not, life goes on eh eh and let us all continue to do nice business here.

Cheers to all

Classical

Postby sencesor » 2010 Mar 13, 18:05

Continuing this important discussion. :)

Regarding Figo DS - I think that 87 is a very good value for him, mainly because of the tendency issue - we all agree that he could dribble faster than that on some occasions, but more than often he did slow down while dribbling & I think that 87 is a very good compromise.

But, although I agree with the "tendency" & "oftenest" as extremely important when rating stats (Like Brezza mentioned - almost every CF has at least a 1 95 ST goal in his career :P , but most of them will not get it despite the ability to do it from time to time - consistency plays the biggest part imo.

So while the tendency argument is a very valid one from my point of view, the AI argument (which besthunter explained a few posts previous) is a very bad one (for me at least), when making stats - I much more concerned that the stats will emulate in the best way the abilities of the players when human controlled.

I think I could best sum my thought about this in referring the recent update that happened in Cruyff thread, where his TW value was reduced from a widely excepted value of a 95 to an average 84 because "when AI controlled, he passed too much..."

I much prefer that the TW value (for instance) will be decided by his true natural TW ability of the specific player, and that he’ll have that effect in the game when I play with or against him, than to see him make some more individual runs when AI controlled.

Hope I got through in making my thoughts clear here, despite the bad grammar. :lol:

Cheers.

"Buy the ticket - take the ride" - Dr. Raoul Duke - Pure Gonzo journalism.
sencesor

Postby Uzair » 2010 Apr 05, 14:12

i'm gonna increase DS to 87 then.

also when you look at the freekicks he's scored over the years...the curl he can produce on them is amazing. is it worth a red figure? check out this video.

Uzair

Postby Classical » 2010 Apr 05, 15:18

Very important the DS concept. Can change the whole output of a created player in what comes to gameplay when you see thr DS from different angles.

About the free-kick, I would say he should stay as he is right now, he mastered the art of free kicks in his peek years, but somewhat I just sense he was top top level there. Even if he scored a lot from free kicks. In Sporting and Barcelona he was taking corners only I think.

Still, it is a discussable subject, with not that impact on Figo's gameplay.

Classical

Postby JMVP » 2010 Jul 11, 14:13

I´ve been reading through the last posts just to realize how important prizes and playing for Madrid makes people regard a certain player has one of the best ever. C'mon LPA 97? WTF?! He was no Pirlo, no Beckham he was just a damn good crosser and a good corner kick taker, but i can name you 5 actual players who are just as good as him.

First, one of the most important stats for crossing, particulary for early crossing, is swerve, and he has loads of it, which makes his crosses dip into player's heads. He also has the ability to ALWAYS beat his man and get a clear space to cross. Even the value for his Inter days, were his passing wasn't worst by any means, is too high. Figo was a great crosser but he wasn't more than 10 points better than Simão, he wasn't more accurate than Xavi, certainly not as accurate as Pirlo!

His touch on the ball was great but certainly not on Messi's level, it was kinda like Ronaldo's or Kaka's.

He was a diver, why has he got such high BB? Figo was easier to knock down than Messi, always complaining and winning fouls, that was the only thing i didn't like about him.

And for the ones who say that with high TW players don't dribble enough i say: in my OF Figo has his default 85 for TW and dribbles a lot, thanks to his "incisive run" and "mazing run" cards. Of course TW plays a big part in it, but you can fix that with the cards. Btw, early cross? He was excellent at it, but he still preferred to dribble and then cross.

His speed on the ball is also a bit too high, i would have no problems at all dribbling player after player with his current stats, Figo was never a fast player and he did loose speed on the ball. Don't you guys remember how he used to stop after trapping the ball and then use some stepovers to beat his man? Or do you remember him running down the wings like crazy? He wasn't faster than Iniesta, he just had an incredible skill and control over the ball, always, and he had his unique stepovers.
Btw why has he got all dribbling cards but he hasn't got the one that he used more often, the scissors dribble?

Shooting stats are probably too high as well. He hasn't got such a great goal record and he was never a great shooter, many of his goals came from the penaltys he converted. Apart from the decent power he had on his shots, i don't think he deserves to be so much better than guys like Iniesta or Pedro. He now has the same shooting stats as Rooney (except for ST) and similar, arguably worst than Sneijder, who is a great shooter.

@midivial Stamina suggestion in the last post is baffling. As a heavy smoker Figo ended some games close to exhaustion, he wasn't such a great runner as you say, but he had lots of professionalism so he always gave his best and never gave up. Current value is ok.

JMVP

Re: Luis FIGO | 2000/2001

Postby Luisao82 » 2010 Nov 06, 12:11

Vandeach wrote:I agree with a technique drop to 94 or something though his touch wasn't as good as say Berba's was today.

In his prime, Figo's touch was as good as Berba's IMO. Also, his DA is fine, his close control when dribbling was that godly! I lost count on how many quality defenders he raped, and this is important: he's was not as fast nor as agile as Messi, but both his static dribbles and his dribble runnigs were likewise effective.

If bullfighting is culture, then cannibalism is gastronomy.
Luisao82

Postby jurgens » 2010 Nov 06, 13:29

fully agree with jmvp. 97 lpa is an insane number lol, where did that come from, honestly...
I think alot of classic stats are influenced from default stats, hence figos 97 lpa.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

LeMisérable wrote:im not mad, why should I be mad just because of you, your nothing, 1 in 7 billion, i mean dude
jurgens

Postby Eusébio » 2010 Nov 06, 13:33

Definitely overrated in the LPA, I even think that the DA's too high. Figo was a great winger, but these two values of 97 is definitely not for him ...

Eusébio

Postby ronaldoisfat » 2010 Nov 08, 14:33

I think DA Is fine. He relies on close control to beat his player.

ronaldoisfat

Postby bssm » 2010 Nov 08, 16:43

I agree his DA is too high, he was a fantastic dribbler no doubt but he is only one point off Prime Ronaldinho(98), he wasn't a better dribbler then Messi(96) and not really that much better then Iniesta(92) to warrant 5 points higher(+ 2 red points) then him.

95 DA

bssm

Postby Gugu » 2010 Nov 08, 17:05

IMO he is worse than ronnie but better than leo, his current value seems fine.
About LPA, he cant be above current pirlo.

Gugu

PreviousNext

Return to 00's