Nicknames: "El Diez" | "Pelusa" | "El Diego" | "El Pibe de Oro"

Club: SSC Napoli

Growth type: Early/Lasting

1988-1990

Club: SSC Napoli

Club: Newell's Old Boys

INFO:

Spoiler: show
Diego Armando Maradona is regarded by many as the greatest player in the history of the game. He was a complete master of the ball who used his talent and flair and incredible speed. He could beat defenders, he could score, he could distribute the ball... His versatile skills made him unpredictable and very dangerous. Maradona had a compact physique and could withstand physical pressure well. His strong legs and low center of gravity gave him an advantage in short sprints. His physical strengths were illustrated by his two goals against Belgium in the 1986 World Cup. Maradona was a strategist , as well as highly technical with the ball. He could manage himself effectively in limited spaces, and would attract defenders only to quickly dash out of the melee (as in the second 1986 goal against England), or give an assist to a free teammate. Being short, but strong, he could hold the ball long enough with a defender on his back to wait for a teammate making a run or to find a gap for a quick shot.

One of Maradona's trademark moves was dribbling full-speed on the left wing, and on reaching the opponent's goal line, delivering lethally accurate passes to his teammates. Another trademark was the Rabona, a reverse-cross pass shot behind the leg that holds all the weight. This maneuver led to several assists, such as the powerful cross for Ramón Díaz's header in the 1980 friendly against Switzerland. He was also a dangerous free kick taker.

He was born on October 30th 1960 in Lanus outside Buenos Aires. There he played for Los Cebollitos (The little onions), before he joined Argentinos Juniors. At 16 he was Argentina's youngest-ever international when he played against Hungary. Two years later he captained the World Youth Cup winners and was soon transferred to Boca Juniors for £1.000.000. The success continued and he was voted South American Player Of The Year in 1979 and 1980.

In 1982 Maradona joined Spanish giants Barcelona for a world record transfer fee of £5.000.000. The same year the World Cup was held in Spain and Maradona made his World Cup debut on his new homeground Estadio Nou Camp. The tournament didn't end as Maradona had hoped and he was sent off against Brazil in the second phase, as Argentina bowed out.

In his first season for "Barca" he helped them win the league, leaguecup and the Super Cup. Two years later, another world record fee of £6.900.000 took him to success-starved Napoli, and in 1987 they won a league and cup double. A year earlier he had captained Argentina to a second World Cup triumph. It was a World Cup that forever will be synonymous with Maradona. He scored 5 goals in that tournament, including two against England. Both are among the most controversal in World Cup history. The first was the infamous "Hand of God" and the second probably the greatest goal ever scored in a World Cup game, as he ran from his own half showing magic displays and leaving seven English players for dead.

Success continued with Napoli as he again steered them to a leaguetitle and in 1989 even a triumph in the UEFA cup. In 1990 the World Cup was held in Italy and Maradona captained Argentina to yet another final. The Germans were once again the opponents and this time they proved too strong for the Argentinians. That loss was to be the beginning of the end for Maradona. Two drug scandals have created black spots on his name and reputation. Several come-backs have been tried since 1991 and after helping Argentina qualifying for the 1994 World Cup in USA, Maradona looked fit for fight again. A marvellous goal against Greece in the first match gave proves for that.

But in the next game against Nigeria he was caught for drug abuse, and the World Cup story of Diego Armando Maradona got a sad ending. That match meant that Maradona equalled the record of matches played in the World Cup of 21, held by Uwe Seeler and Wladislav Zmuda (Later beaten by Lothar Matthäus). Maradona retired from international football after that with a gallery of good and bad memories. But he is by neutral football lovers regarded alongside Pelé as the greatest player of them all.

HONOURS:

Club
Boca Juniors
Primera División: 1981
Barcelona
Copa del Rey: 1983
Copa de la Liga: 1983
Spanish Super Cup: 1983
Napoli
Serie A: 1987, 1990
Coppa Italia: 1987
UEFA Cup: 1989
Italian Super Cup: 1990

Country
FIFA World Youth Championship: 1979
FIFA World Cup 1986
Artemio Franchi Trophy: 1993
75th anniversary FIFA Cup: 1979

Individual
Golden Ball for Best Player of the FIFA U-20 World Cup: 1979
Argentine league Top Scorer: 1979, 1980, 1981
Argentine Football Writers' Footballer of the Year: 1979, 1980, 1981, 1986
South American Footballer of the Year (El Mundo, Caracas):1979, 1986, 1989, 1990, 1992
Italian Guerin d'Oro: 1985
Argentine Sports Writers' Sportsman of the Year: 1986
Golden Ball for Best Player of the FIFA World Cup: 1986
Best Footballer in the World Onze d'Or: 1986, 1987
World Player of the Year (World Soccer Magazine): 1986
Capocannoniere (Serie A top scorer): 1987-88
Golden Ball for services to football (France Football): 1996
Argentine Sports Writers' Sportsman of the Century: 1999
"FIFA best football player of the century", people's choice: 2000
"FIFA Goal of the Century" (1986 (2–1) v. England; second goal): 2002
Argentine Senate "Domingo Faustino Sarmiento" recognition for lifetime achievement: 2005

VIDEOS:

*Dribbling*

*Passing*

*Free Kicks*

*Goals*

ADDITIONAL LINKS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Maradona

http://www.diegomaradona.com/ingles/ihistoria.html

http://www.fifa.com/classicfootball/pla ... index.html

http://www.planetworldcup.com/LEGENDS/maradona.html

Last edited by Brezza on 2011 Feb 01, 15:21, edited 14 times in total.
POSTER#1

Re: Diego MARADONA | 1986/1987, S.S.C. Napoli

Postby POSTER#1 » 2008 Dec 11, 19:42

Important Discussion:
Included a great deal, as some suggestions overlap with some time but are ignored.
Especially due to Batigol's recent posts has opened up a potential complete revision of Maradona, so included is vital discussion from the beginning.

Fides Posted: May 6 2008, 09:12 PM wrote:His balance was above average I think. He was stronger then Clichy (for example) nowadays for sure.

psiqueus Posted: May 7 2008, 02:47 AM wrote:He wasn't faster than Bertie Carlos, Odonkor, Aaron Lennon, Thierry Henry or Ronaldo. I suggest 87-89 for top speed stat. Also, he was much more stronger than 77. If Kun Agüero has Body Balance 81 , Kaká has 83, Cristiano has 84 and Ronaldinho has 84 too, Maradona deserves 84-85 for sure. Another point I want to suggest is the shot accuracy and shot technique, Maradona scored for almost every angle, with a marvelous aim. I saw him play many many many times... good old times. For SA I suggest 90, like Totti (or something in the 88-93 rank), and for ST I suggest 93.

Great work, Ajacied Breda.

messias18 Posted: May 7 2008, 06:06 AM wrote:
psiqueus,May 7 2008, 02:47 AM wrote: He wasn't faster than Thierry Henry

:blink:

i don't agree...

IMO:
Balance: 82
Speed: 92
Shot Accuracy: 87
Shot Power: 89

and Middle Shooting Star...

psiqueus Posted: May 7 2008, 06:35 AM wrote:Messias18, I wanted to join forces with you to create Diego, but Ajacied was faster. About speed comparation, Thierry Henry record on 100 metres dash is about 10,9-10,8 (best times of Thierry, I think) and the fastest player in Europe is Dennis Rommedahl, with a time of 10,2 seconds in the same dash. Diego was very speedy, but he wasn't faster than Johan Cruyff, or faster than George Weah, who ran the 100 metres in 10,9 (all the information is gathered mainly form "Don Balón" and "Triunfo" Sports Magazines). For me, as I said before, SP of 87-90 is enough.

P.D: Messias18, mándame un mensaje personal si quieres que hablemos en español.
Take care, pals.

Fides Posted: May 7 2008, 09:55 AM wrote:I would say something like TS: 90-92 ACC: 97-98

bitz Posted: May 7 2008, 10:33 AM wrote:What about his curling and FK? I reckon they shouldn't be that high especially curling.

dannel Posted: May 7 2008, 02:17 PM wrote:I think he should get high curling for his brilliant chip shots ;)

Mr RVN Posted: May 7 2008, 03:42 PM wrote:Chip shots are more a Shot Technique thing. :) That said, if he curled his chip shots, his curling is pretty high at the moment. :P

I might make a 1994 Maradona, just for sake of putting THAT picture up. :lol:

messias18 Posted: May 7 2008, 04:00 PM wrote:mentality is ok...

Free kick: 96
Swerve: 97
Aggression: 90

You agree???

psiqueus Posted: May 8 2008, 01:28 AM wrote:
Fides,May 7 2008, 03:49 PM wrote: Why is his mentality that high btw?

I'm dunno. Diego wasn't exactly the kind of player that go back to defend. Maybe a little misunderstood here :P . Again, and by the testimony of Eduardo Bonvallet, member of Chilean NT in World Cup 82, and player who marked in other matches Diego and Johan, said that there was a difference in terms of speed between this players, in favor of Johan. Diego was fast as devil, but Johan was superior in that aspect. So, I suggest again TS around 88-90, and the acceleration can be maintained as well. Bonvallet is also manager and IMO the greatest commentator of our country.

Ace. Posted: May 8 2008, 06:27 PM wrote:i would give him penalty star

Fides Posted: May 8 2008, 06:41 PM wrote:My suggestions:
BB: 83-84
FKA: 92
TS: 91
AGGR: 90
MNT: 80
TECH: 98
TW: 93 max.
ST: 93-94
CombineHarvester, psiqueus, kendees agreed and this became current.

T-rex Posted: May 24 2008, 02:48 AM wrote:No way he was that fast :huh:
85-88 is more suitable and 90-95 in acceleration
by the way he had stronger shots something between 85 to 88 with SA estimated by 87...

Choccy Posted: May 24 2008, 04:46 PM wrote:
T-rex,May 24 2008, 03:48 AM wrote: No way he was that fast :huh:
86-88 is more suitable and 93-95 in acceleration
by the way he had stronger shots something between 85 to 88 with SA estimated by 87...

Agree with that.

Also why 98 for technique? Surely he's the best player technically the last 25 years or so.

psiqueus Posted: May 24 2008, 07:59 PM wrote:
T-rex,May 24 2008, 02:48 AM wrote: No way he was that fast :huh:
86-88 is more suitable and 93-95 in acceleration

Agree with you about TS, T-rex. As I've said a few posts ago, Diego wasn't the world fast player in long distances (was very fast anyway), but astonishing in a little more short distances, so I suggest 88 (again) for TS. About SP, I agree again, he had stronger shots, and also I think that he was deadly accurate, so I suggest a value above 87. What a player was Diego, a truly genius, as xv63 said in other post, a phenomenon, capable of transforming a little club in a unstoppable machine.

Brezza Posted: Jun 17 2008, 05:40 PM wrote:Bump. Possible update? I think maybe all of his shooting stats could go up by 2. Shot technique definitely.

Vandeacech Posted: Aug 4 2008, 09:10 PM wrote:I don't think he was this strong actually more around the 79-80 area and I think that's being generous in additon to this he reminds me kind of of Messi's pace just ermm... faster I'd say Top Speed: 88 Acceleration: 98 furthermore in 1986-1987 season he 'only' scored 10 goals so his shooting stats could be lowered to about 81 SA but ST could be kept the same. also I never thought he this spectacular at passing.

ravlee Posted: Aug 4 2008, 09:29 PM wrote:his passing was spectacular and his SA was worth 86.. i mean just cause he scored "10" goals it doesn't mean he had a bad SA.. its the same as when we decrease RVNs SA just 'cause he "only" scored 15 goals or something.. to 88 or something.. thats BS

but what i'm wondering is.. why does maradona has 98 for tec? .. should be 126 ..... (99 seriously) .. don't think pele, zidane and ronaldinho's first touch was better than maradona's and they have 99

messias18 Posted: Aug 6 2008, 11:02 PM wrote:Attack: 95
Shot Power: 86
Shot Technique:95
Technique: 99

and Middle Shooting Star

ravlee Posted: Aug 6 2008, 11:26 PM wrote:
messias18,Aug 6 2008, 11:02 PM wrote: Attack: 95

and Middle Shooting Star
i agree with SP, ST and TEC and MSS, but not with ATT :) 93 is fine

psiqueus Posted: Aug 7 2008, 05:53 AM wrote:
ravlee,Aug 6 2008, 11:26 PM wrote:
messias18,Aug 6 2008, 11:02 PM wrote: Attack: 95

and Middle Shooting Star

i agree with SP, ST and TEC and MSS, but not with ATT :) 93 is fine
Agree completely with Ravlee. Pretty good sugestions, mates

Fides Posted: Aug 7 2008, 03:09 PM wrote:Nah Attack shouldnt be 95, probably 93 is generous already. Not sure about the MS* either, with the current (/updated) shooting stats his shot will be dangerous enough from distance.

Mr RVN Posted: Aug 7 2008, 03:11 PM wrote:This has been explained above, ravlee, only I can have 99 in Technique. ;) :P

Just a little question as I'm no expert on Maradona, but was his positional sense really so good? I always think of Maradona as a superior Messi; he can easily score, but he nearly always does it all on his own rather than use his brain to get in the best position for a tap in. But like I said, I generally haven't seen match-loads of him so I'm a bit in the dark on this one.

Fides Posted: Aug 7 2008, 03:12 PM wrote:I think I agree, that why I thought 93 was quite generous already:P

ravlee Posted: Aug 7 2008, 04:46 PM wrote:and that's why i've agreed with everything else messias suggested, just not with ATT ;)

Technique was then updated after several agrees to current 99.

Choccy Posted: Nov 8 2008, 04:50 PM wrote:
Brezza,Nov 7 2008, 10:21 PM wrote: Updated technique ;)

About time that got corrected :P

His SPA should be in the mid 90's as well, he was a fantastic short passer

Batigol Posted: Nov 19 2008, 07:22 PM wrote:
Vandeacech,Aug 4 2008, 09:10 PM wrote: I don't think he was this strong actually more around the 79-80 area and I think that's being generous in additon to this he reminds me kind of of Messi's pace just ermm... faster I'd say Top Speed: 88 Acceleration: 98 furthermore in 1986-1987 season he 'only' scored 10 goals so his shooting stats could be lowered to about 81 SA but ST could be kept the same. also I never thought he this spectacular at passing.

Diego Armando Maradona was incredibly strong infact, mostly because of his low balance point (he was only 1.65) wich made it really hard for the big, strong defenders to get off a good shoulder tackle on him.

The combination of his balance, strength, speed, technique, dribbling, pace and accelration made him the deadliest thorn in every defense was up against.
That is also why he was tackled so badly, injured, punched, and otherwise used dirty tricks on most of his european career.

I am old enought to have followed Maradona's career, and I've been a keen admirer of his uncomparable, yes that is right, football skills mentally and technically since '85.

Attack: 93
Defence: 27 (fine, but in the 90's WC he showed himself as a midfield general, taking big defensive responsibilities aswell, so i'd say 45ish to be honest but not a must since it's 86/87 era we're in here, but just because he did not take defensive responsibility could just aswell be manager instructions, he did not strike me as a poor defensive player when things got hot in Napoli, honestly)

Balance: 91-95 <--- his balance is complemented as "extreme" in several interviews with defenders of that era, explained earlier in this post to why.

Stamina: 84 <--- 84 is fine, his actual stamina probably was a little bit lower but he gave 100% the full duration of the game due to high willpower and sense of responsibility to the team as captain.

Top Speed: 91
Acceleration: 98
Response: 95 <--- this is more of a PES stat rather than a "real life" one, making the player react faster to your commands, he never needed to think twice wether to shoot, pass or dribble.

Agility: 99
Dribble Accuracy: 99
Dribble Speed: 96
Short Pass Accuracy: 88
Short Pass Speed: 87
Long Pass Accuracy: 91
Long Pass Speed: 86
Shot Accuracy: 92 <--- He hit what he aimed for extremly often
Shot Technique: 96 <--- watch the Maradona goal compilations on you tube, he strikes the ball cleanly while falling on a regular basis.

Free Kick Accuracy: 94
Curling: 99 <--- PES is not able to curl as much as the fameous "curlers" did, so all of them should have 99 to be as close as possible regardless of whom curled more than the other.

Header: 80 <--- his heading was skilled, he just never won many aerial battles due to his height.

Jump: 77
Aggression: 90
Mentality: 80
Keeper Skills: 50
Team Work: 93
Injury Tolerance: A <--- the injuries he got was due to NASTY tackles and not due to being injury prone (z4)
Condition/Fitness: 8
Weak Foot Accuracy: 3
Weak Foot frequency: 1
Consistency: 8

*Dribbling
*Tactical Dribble
*Reaction
*Passing
*1-on-1 Scoring
*Middle Shooting <--- I havent counted, but I would not be surprised if 50% of his goals was shots from outside the area, just because he didn't do it too often in 86-87 doesent mean he wasnt able to on a regular basis, when he got injured by "the butcher of Bilbao"
it's rumored that he evolved tactically, making him pass the ball more often rather than showing something spectacular on every touch during his recovery period, wich is easily noticed by watching World Cup '86 matches compared to his earlier Barcelona games.

p1rha Posted: Nov 20 2008, 05:59 AM wrote:How come he doesn't have a outside star? if he only uses one foot he gotta have it, other wise his passes to the erm... left side will be a bit crap. And i think much of what people call good vision in his case came from the abilty to do whatever he wanted to, if he wanted to go for the goal he would 'cause he could, know what i mean? So i suggest u drop his team work to yellow, there were much better players when it comes to TW. He was more about agression.

i know this only represents a period of Pibe's career, but still don´t u think an 8 for consistency is too much? I mean he wasn´t the kind of player i would define as costant maybe a 5 for consistency and 7 for condition ... :unsure:

Fides Posted: Nov 20 2008, 09:36 AM wrote:
p1rha,Nov 19 2008, 11:32 PM wrote: How come he doesn't have a outside star? if he only uses one foot he gotta have it, other wise his passes to the erm... left side will be a bit crap.

He can use the inside of the foot to pass to the left?

p1rha Posted: Nov 20 2008, 03:06 PM wrote:if it´s like left foward it's ok, but if it´s 90 degrees left u can´t do it unless u bend ur leg.i know he didn't use the outside very often to shoot, but still i think he deserves it. And probably the outside stars influences dribble as well...

Vandeacech Posted: Nov 20 2008, 05:40 PM wrote:I feel quite a few of the stats are wrong.

Attack: 93(He does not deserve this much attack he was not the sort of player to position himself in the box and was by no means a poacher he always used to run at defenders and rarely used his positional sense to beat players I think it should be around 85 tbh.)
Defence: 27(Was he this inept at defending?)
Balance: 83(Yes he was strong for his size but didn't really beat players with strength and was no Edgar Davids I suggest 79-80)
Response: 88(I'd like an explanation for this one please as I never noticed it as one of Maradona's strengths but I could be completely wrong.)
Short Pass Accuracy: 88(When was short passing this good I never noticed him as a great passer of the ball and rarely passed)
Short Pass Speed: 87
Long Pass Accuracy: 91(I've never seen one of Mardona's crosses be this good that implies his crossing and long passing was like that of Xabi Alonso and Fabregas!)
Long Pass Speed: 86
Shot Accuracy: 86(I feel SA and ST are in particuarlar overrated his placement of shots wasn't as good as that of Bobby Charlton or a modern day Forlan)
Shot Power: 86(Don't see too much of a problem with that could be lowered a point though)
Shot Technique: 93(I agree it should be a high number but not this high I feel it should be around 90)
Mentality: 80(He wasn't a hardworker)
Keeper Skills: 50
Team Work: 93(I feel this stat is ridiculously overrated he was never a playmaker and although important in alot of team moves any value over 80 will make decide to pass more than he would shoot/take players on which isn't the case I feel a 79/80 value would suffice.)
Condition/Fitness: 89No clue about this one but was he a regualar 45+ game a season man?)
Consistency: 8(Was he really consistency personfied like Gerrard or Carragher? Just wondering)

My suggestions:
Attack: 85/86
Balance: 80
Shot Accuracy: 84
Shot Technique: 90
Teamwork: 79/80?

Would like explanations for

Response
Conditon
Consistency
All Passing stats
Defence

Brezza Posted: Nov 20 2008, 09:37 PM wrote:Good posts. B)

Attack: Yeah your right he was no poacher . But then im unsure why Ronaldinho and Totti should have 90 for attack :unsure:. Maradona's attacking intelligence was superb, but your right that he preferred running through players most of the time. I agree with something around 86-90

Balance: Disagree here, Maradona was fully able to withhold physical challenges, he didn't usally get shoved of the ball he had bloody strong legs and would hold his ground pretty damn well. Not all short people are weak! :P

Defence: Now im not too sure at club level but ive manage to watch most of Argentina's matches at the 86 world cup ( thank you rapidshare.com) and he did come back at times . Not in a massive hardworking manner but maybe in the kind of way Thierry Henry helped out coming back and Arsenal. its also important to look and Maradona's attack/defence ratio on the pitch. With these stats he would just act like a proper in and out striker that wont pick balls up from deep. Id agree with an attack defence ratio of 86-88/40 or something

Response: Nothing more to say that he reacted fast. He was superb and reading play and had and extremely sharp football brain, he was fantastic and finding little gaps between defenders and he didn't have to think twice about reacting quickly to attacking moves. His goals agaisnt Belgium in the world cup are two great

Long Passing : 91 looks ok. he was fantastic and reaching the byline and sending over lethal crosses, theres not too many players that can pick then he could accurately pic out players with the Robona like Maradona could.

Short passing: Disagree here, Maradonna's passing was fantastic. Maybe you forgot the famous assist he gave to Burruchaga at the world cup final ( Just an example not basing his passing on that alone :P) Could even be higher imo.

Shot accuracy: yeah your right here his placement of shots wasn't incredible he could miss his share of chances. Id go with 85 though.

Shot technique: disagree here he had superb variety in his goals and could strike the ball pretty cleanly. chips volleys first time shots from tight areas, he wasnt all about dribbles. He was certainly just as good as say Andy Cole in this area. Oh and btw look at THIS :ph43r:

Mentality: I see nothing wrong with the stat he has currently. He could be a real fighter at times and hes not what I would call lazy player, especially seeing as he was drugged up on stimulants for most of his career :lol:

Teamwork: 93 is over the top but I disagree to drop it that low. Yes he was individualistic in his dribbles but then who wouldn't be if they had the talent he did? Despite this he could a great strategist, team player and was great at orchestrating attack with his vision . Id say it should be at Ronaldinho's level at 86.

Yeah Condition and consistency could come down.

p1rha Posted: Nov 21 2008, 12:56 AM wrote:I disagree with the guy that disagrees attack should be above 90. It's fair to say he was no poacher but "he didn't have to think twice about reacting quickly to attacking moves". Brezza u typed this btw. Attack envolves many things, some being the response, the agression and the teamwork when attacking. So yes,i agree with the high attack level, high response, not that high teamwork and defense. And i'm shure his passing skills were amazing too, he gave many goals to careca, but he prefered to score them himself ;)

Batigol Posted: Nov 21 2008, 02:17 PM wrote:look Here!

Shot technique displayed at 1:25 in slow motion, remember that this is in a match situation.. not training.

I'm standing by my 96 Shot technique suggestion.

(Brezza)
"Balance: Disagree here, Maradona was fully able to withhold physical challenges, he didn't usally get shoved of the ball he had bloody strong legs and would hold his ground pretty damn well. Not all short people are weak! tongue.gif"

I agree 100%, his strength has been complemented several times by notable defenders of that era many times.
If you wanted to take the ball away from him you had to clip his legs and send him flying first.
Maradona's strenght was probably a main factor he did so well in european football.
Argentina and Brazil is full of dribblers just as good, or close to Maradona's skill but they all lack the strength and football brain that Diego had.

fds123 Posted: Dec 7 2008, 04:55 AM wrote:hello! i'm here again and i'm going to let u enjoy 12 minutes of the best football player on earth of all times. these are 2 vids, 1 of dribbling and 1 of passing.

the most important on this conversation is the 2nd one, helping to stablish the passing stats and his reading of the game as teamworker, playmaker and others.

DRIBB.: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah8xBnjtYWw&feature=related

PASS.: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=--ACUzCCza8&feature=related

byee

EDIT: oh, u can search on YouTube "Maradona dribble skill collection" (there are over than 20 volumes) and u will find a couple of hours of the most beautiful show ever.
Results of "Maradona dribble skill collection" on YouTube

Vandeacech Posted: Dec 8 2008, 06:53 PM wrote:Team-work cannot be yellow that indicates a player prefers to pass than shoot however he had a good understanding with his team-mates so it should be high 70's.
Peter80000

Postby Peter80000 » 2008 Dec 19, 23:59

What a legend.

Maradona was definitely a hard player to bring down. I think his balance could be up by 2 or 3.
Also, he had god-like acceleration and reaction, but I've never seen him as that fast... I recomend lowering his top speed to 88 or so.
http://aibenfica.blogspot.com
ravlee

Postby ravlee » 2008 Dec 20, 00:04

Peter80000 wrote:What a legend.

Maradona was definitely a hard player to bring down. I think his balance could be up by 2 or 3.
Also, he had god-like acceleration and reaction, but I've never seen him as that fast... I recomend lowering his top speed to 88 or so.

that's an interesting point with his TS - let's compare him to todays messi - was he really much faster than Messi (87 or something)? Or was he equal to the likes of Kaka and one point below Lennon etc.?!
Peter80000

Postby Peter80000 » 2008 Dec 20, 04:39

Just checked, Messi is 88 in top speed. 96 in acceleration and dribble speed. (Forum Stats)

So Maradona could be an 89 in Top Speed, 98 in Acceleration and 97 in Dribble Speed.

Yeah, I think his Balance could definitely be 85 or so.
Vandeach

Postby Vandeach » 2008 Dec 20, 12:12

Team work has to be lower for the sake of Maradona playing like Maradona an anything 80+ indicates a player prefers to pass then dribble the majority of the time the current value makes Mardona like a playmaker is it not possible that maybe his team-mates understood him more than the other way round I would say his teamwork should be at maximum 79. His attacking positioning wasn't this good either he much preffered to run at his opponents I'd say an 86 possibly an 87 at a push. I also don't think he was this fast when he was 30 I'd give him these sort of values when he was in his early to mid 20's.
"If you are first you are first. If you are second, you are nothing" - Bill Shankly.
"I guarantee fourth place" - Rafael Benitez.
Brezza

Postby Brezza » 2008 Dec 20, 16:48

Vandeach wrote:Team work has to be lower for the sake of Maradona playing like Maradona an anything 80+ indicates a player prefers to pass then dribble the majority of the time the current value makes Mardona like a playmaker is it not possible that maybe his team-mates understood him more than the other way round I would say his teamwork should be at maximum 79. His attacking positioning wasn't this good either he much preffered to run at his opponents I'd say an 86 possibly an 87 at a push. I also don't think he was this fast when he was 30 I'd give him these sort of values when he was in his early to mid 20's.

These stats are for when he was in his mid 20's :geek:

Its not like he was a selfish player and didn't like to pick out a pass. He could actually be a great playmaker that could drop deep and set up his teammates and be at the fulcrum of pretty much every team move . I agree that 93 for teamwork is slightly outrageous but for me it should be 83 at the very least. ( Same as Messi)
Also if anything passing should be increased, it was flawless.

watch this video for an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--ACUzCCza8

I agree with lowering attack and the proposed speed stats ;)
Vandeach

Postby Vandeach » 2008 Dec 20, 18:13

I don't agree. Although Maradona could pick out a passes with ease he was known for his solo runs(which is understandable, I mean who wouldn't with his speed and dribbling abilities?) surely if he an 83 for teamwork he'll be picking out too many passes and won't be making those runs he was famed for.
"If you are first you are first. If you are second, you are nothing" - Bill Shankly.
Brezza

Postby Brezza » 2008 Dec 21, 16:29

Vandeach wrote:I don't agree. Although Maradona could pick out a passes with ease he was known for his solo runs(which is understandable, I mean who wouldn't with his speed and dribbling abilities?) surely if he an 83 for teamwork he'll be picking out too many passes and won't be making those runs he was famed for.

Yeah but other players around 83 couldn't quite read the play or be as effective in orchestrating team moves like maradona could... well not Messi anyways . You have a point about his solo runs though , how about we compromise and say 80 for teamwork and maybe raise his aggression ;)
Oriello

Postby Oriello » 2008 Dec 21, 17:25

I actually have found the same problem with his teamwork, that he could be a good playmakerish player as described by batigol on the old forum who had uncanny awarness of his teammates, but opted to use his personal abilities more often. And I have been trying him out with batigol's, seemingly bizarre, values. Yet he played extremely well under my control...but that was under me, where I was specifcally trying to play just like he did. The AI on the other hand I think needs to be influenced by low Team Work to behave like he did. Maybe to keep his good connection with teammates, we can increase his passing while bringing Teamwork to 75-79 range?

Claudio Gentile wrote:"Well, I'd say that Maradona was more individualistic, and practically all of their play was channelled through him. Zico, in contrast, was more of a team player. He brought his team-mates into play, so I'd consider him to be a more complete player. But Maradona was more decisive, because when he'd spring into attack, he could win a match all by himself. That was shown in the 1986 World Cup, which he won all by himself. "

"It was more difficult to mark Maradona than Zico, there is no doubt about that, because he was the kind of player who ran straight at his opponent. He'd get the ball and drive straight at his marker. So he was more difficult. Zico was more of a team player."

I agree with the speed changes, 88 should most likely be his top speed, but 87 would be my preferance, time for some NOOB LoGiK, Messi's goal against Getafe and Maradona's against England have been pointedly been compared in numerous youtube videos that they are almost carbon copies, and in both he and Messi are not using great speed to destroy opponents, but a combination of Balance, Agiglity, Acceleration, Dribble Speed, Dribble Accuracy, Aggression(?)..so by noobish conclusion Messi and Maradona should be in the realtively same speed category...now for the coup d’etat, OMGZ he and Messi clonze, equalz there values or wrong! XD

Also I liked batigols suggestions for ST and Curling, and a bit of response but that is just me. ;)

Attack I am unsure of lowering drastically into mid 80's, seemed to have very competent understanding of where to be in the attack, but I do understand that at 90+ players seem to operate a bit more like poachers, not flat out mind you, but it is noticable. So I think the lowest value for attack potentially if it were to go down is 89.

Also agree to Balance raise, Maradona may have been short but he used it to his advantage, and had a crazy sort of low centre of gravity. He still will not be able to move larger players of lower balbcne due to weight values, but against medium sized opponents he will have a strange unatural strength.
sencesor

Postby sencesor » 2008 Dec 25, 12:40

seems bit underrated, still - its f%#king maradona..!

couple of seggustions:

* scoring
* middle shooting
* one touch
* outside

shoot acuracy 91

shoot power 86

shoot technique 95

free kick 95

cheers
"Buy the ticket - take the ride" - Dr. Raoul Duke - Pure Gonzo journalism.
Brezza

Postby Brezza » 2009 Jan 03, 00:44

Ok ladies, with countless pages of debates we could have an update.

Here are the suggestions :ugeek:

Attack: 88/89
Defence: 40 ?
Balance: 85
Top Speed: 89
Short Pass Accuracy: 92
Long Pass Accuracy: 92
Dribble Speed: 97
Teamwork: 79
Aggression: 91 ?

* scoring (?)
* middle shooting (?)
* one touch
* outside ( both definite)

Top Speed:

Well heres a video of those two famous goals your talking about Oriello; side by side.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nXzXsdZJ5AQ

I wouldn't quite base his speed on that though, Messi doesn't usually show that kind of pace all the time while Maradona was all about those long raging runs at defenders. I personally find the videos deceiving as they could be made to look like there in sync. Again I personally believe that Maradona proved to be the fastest overall a while Messi who is lighting quick hasn't really proven his capacity from longer distances apart for the video. Seeing Maradona at full flight was just godly I really do think he could be around 90 for top speed for me but thats just imo , so my preference would go with Peter's speed update of 89.

Attack/Defence ratio:

debated he was not exactly a poacher but he did have fantastic attacking intelligence to avoid his markers , his goals against Belgium in the world cup shows examples of him being able to position himself just off his marker avoid a couple of challenges with a burst of speed and slot it home. I don't think that something along 88/89 would be too bad if you compare it to Torres and Keane nowadays who like to come from deep as well.
Defence should go up as he did like to drop back occasionally and 'playmake' ( for a use of a better term) in the midfield.

Balance: 85

agree with peter and psigues explanations was a real figher when people tried to tackle him, and he wasn't that easy to knock off the ball

Dribble Speed 97:

Nuff said especially with Messi's update

Passing:

seriously his passing could be flawless long or short and its something people seem to overlook about Maradona. Just look at that 6 minute video posted up where it shows nothing but his passing. no goals or chances other than the ones he set up; however tightly marked, that left peg more often than not found a man, sometimes with the most audacious imagination. . popular opinion around is that hes could even be considered as one of the best of all time in passing . Zico once said 'Mardona can see 50 ways of passing the ball than other good players can normally read.'

Im not sure id agree with that, but from what ive seen id say hes just as good if not better than Ronaldinho in terms of passing accuracy

Teamwork 79:

Ok I give in as long as Passing stats go up. I think he can still get within the realms of being involved in team play enough as well as go on those solo runs with 78/ 79 for team work (same as Ronaldo) so yeah im ok with it.

imo shooting stats shouldn't be touched his placement of shots were not overally accurate, he could still require a few chances to score on the other hands he could hit strikes really cleanly and from hard positions but i wouldn't quite say it should be in the god region.
sencesor

Postby sencesor » 2009 Jan 03, 22:48

Brezza
Reply with quote Post Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:44 am

imo shooting stats shouldn't be touched his placement of shots were not overally accurate, he could still require a few chances to score on the other hands he could hit strikes really cleanly and from hard positions but i wouldn't quite say it should be in the god region.

fair enough.
"Buy the ticket - take the ride" - Dr. Raoul Duke - Pure Gonzo journalism.
Brezza

Postby Brezza » 2009 Jan 03, 23:21

What do people think of the suggestions then? :P
Peter80000

Postby Peter80000 » 2009 Jan 04, 10:00

Brezza wrote:What do people think of the suggestions then? :P

Agree :)
Brezza

Postby Brezza » 2009 Jan 04, 17:42

Thats good enough for me, made some changes ;)
CDDRodrigo

Postby CDDRodrigo » 2009 Jan 09, 16:42

About the pool:

No, he wasn't the greatest. Cruijff was.
ravlee

Postby ravlee » 2009 Jan 09, 16:44

nah neither of them :)
CDDRodrigo

Postby CDDRodrigo » 2009 Jan 09, 19:45

So Di Stéfano? 8-)
Vandeach

Postby Vandeach » 2009 Jan 10, 11:13

Beckenbauer? Yashin? Maldini?

Return to “80's”