Elías Figueroa | 1974-1976

Moderators: Korinov, Adrien, Albo7, Brezza, jurgens

PES Stats Database

Elías Figueroa | 1974-1976

Postby PES Stats Database » 2008 Dec 10, 21:12

Nickname: "Don Elías" | "Gran Mariscal" | "Muralla Roja" | "Míster Lujo" | "El Coloso" | "Dios de Beira Rio" | "Gran Capitán" | "El gran Elías"

Club: Internacional

Growth type: Standard/Lasting

Last edited by psiqueus on 2010 May 24, 06:30, edited 15 times in total.
Rated-R

Re: Elías FIGUEROA | 1974-1975

Postby Rated-R » 2009 Nov 20, 02:25

the technique and dribbling stats are correct in my opinion, his style was much like Beckenbauer and the not too distant, Beckenbauer said Don Elias was better than that he.

Why your curling is so low?

I suggest:

BB: 89
Header: 90
Jump: 92 to 93
SP: 80 at least IMO.
"Elegante como un conde de smoking, peligroso como un tigre de bengala, Elías Figueroa fue el zaguero Perfecto" Nelson Rodrigues

Rated-R

Postby Rated-R » 2010 Jan 13, 21:46

after watch the matches of Chile in the WC 74, I still have some small suggestions and a few minor errors in my earlier suggestions, retaking, DEF & RES should rise slightly one or 2 points on this on the level of Pasarella in RES (96) Elias Figueroa should be between Beckenbauer and Stat Pasarella this would suggest 97, the DEF can be maintained or slightly elevated is the best defense in history, I propose a 98 though 97 also is good.

Jump: In the not nobody beat him in the air, but always well placed and strong physically, the predominant in a wonderful way he is not the best jumper in the history of Chile, but I see it very close to Zamorano and Humberto Cruz (97 & 98 respectively) suggest 95

Header: Product of the big jump at times lost his direction, although the vast majority could give you power and precision suggest reduced slightly to 89

BB: him in his physical stats is very similar to Bruno Alves (BB 91 & Jump 95) also in weight and height, was impassable in the melee game either knocked down a 90 is fine.

BTW sorry for the double post :|

Slds _chi
"Elegante como un conde de smoking, peligroso como un tigre de bengala, Elías Figueroa fue el zaguero Perfecto" Nelson Rodrigues

Classical

Postby Classical » 2010 Jan 15, 21:35

Can you share a link to download (or anything with the same output) any of Chile's games?

I am very curious to see with my own eyes the legendary Figueroa.
When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. Eric Cantona
Rated-R

Postby Rated-R » 2010 Jan 16, 00:53

Talk to Maestrillo, his signature is a blog where you can see the old games download including games of Chile from the WC 74 ;)

maestrillo

Postby maestrillo » 2010 Jan 16, 01:08

Classical wrote:Can you share a link to download (or anything with the same output) any of Chile's games?

I am very curious to see with my own eyes the legendary Figueroa.

Here you can find the 3 Chilean match in WC1974

www.partidoscompletos.blogspot.com
http://partidoscompletos.blogspot.com/
Classical

Postby Classical » 2010 Jan 16, 01:51

Well, thank you very much then :D
When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. Eric Cantona
andykeikei

Postby andykeikei » 2010 Feb 03, 08:13

Just finish watching the game between Chile and West Germany in 1974 World Cup. Here's what I observed:

Figueroa was really a great defender. Every time he decided to challenge for the ball, he got it. Great anticipation; strong, was like a tower in the penalty area; great header, may be not as dominant as Passarella, but still won almost every balls that went to his way. Chile defended pretty well the whole game and lost the only goal to Breitner's magnificent long range that went to the top left corner. I think his main attributes in defense (could be lower following the ladder, but I don't really know the difference between him and the other great defenders), balance, response are well rated.

However, from what I observed from this game (I know only 1 game), the other attributes of him did seem overrated. First of all, he never joined the attack except for set pieces. Unlike Passarella, Moore, or even Baresi, Figueroa never crossed the half way line when his team had possessions. Playing against the host and reigning Euro Champ may be a factor, but I didn't see him joining the attack even when they were down 0-1 in the second half. So Attack, aggression and stamina could be lowered.

Figueroa did look calm with the ball, but he rarely dribbled and would usually just passed to the nearest teammates. Thus I think high 70s for DA, and green numbers for his DS and SPA would be enough. 85 for technique though is definitely overrated, I think around 78-80 would be enough.

I don't know about his speed as Chile defended pretty deep, there's not much space for the German to expose and Figueroa generally recovered very well. The one time I think he lost is when Hoeness going at him in full pace on a counter. Figueroa tried to shoulder him but couldn't keep up and lost his own balance :lol: (remind me Rio and Vidic against Torres :cry: , but at least Figueroa forced Hoeness to go to the byline and his teammates blocked Hoeness's shot)

And 98 for mentality would not reflect his game very well. Figueroa was not a mad dog chaser, but he sure could mark very well. I would suggest around 90.

IMO, he really played like a modern defender, in which tends to stay back at all times. He's like a more durable, stronger Nesta with better heading.
julgui

Postby julgui » 2010 Feb 03, 21:29

Elias Figueroa the best defense SouthAmerican in the history.
Señor Ascenso | Mr. Lower Leagues
Oriello

Postby Oriello » 2010 Feb 03, 22:32

andykeikei, thanks for your report of him in that match. :) You stated yourself it ws only one match, but it could be that he did not come up to join in the attack, because he was under orders from coach? Afterall was home team, reigning European Champions... Possibly for club in Brazil he was given more liscence to do as he saw fit?
Rated-R

Postby Rated-R » 2010 Feb 07, 04:48

I know him better, I've seen more games and have seen some videos on Chilean TV, your Mentality needs to be reduced but not less than the 94-95 well marked, but the mentality does not mean only that, but also as playing with pressure Figueroa and doubtless always fell short and was the team leader.

Your DA is correct better watch it he was able to dribble to the front ridiculed, like Pele and Gerd Muller, the attack was compounded when he had the opportunity and dominated balloon ascended, plus had an excellent first touch was added when the first attack and played several times leaving them empowered his teammates in position goal.

As his current passes, speed and technique seem to me correct.

In Porto Alegre International is an idol and was captain of that team, under a lot of goals there, in fact, is remembered for the "goal lit" which gave the title to Inter in the final of the championship 1975.

The is definitely one of the most comprehensive defense I've seen only shoot lacked Free Kick. had offensive presence, he had speed, bulk, etc

as said Julgui

Elias Figueroa is the best South American defense history

I repeat my suggestions:
Jump: 95
Header: 88
BB: 90-91

Falco

Postby Falco » 2010 May 06, 23:03

Elias Figueroa was an extraordinary defense, probably the best of all history.

I'm Austrian _aut and i'm related to him because my country faced him in the 1982 world cup (in the world cup my country cheeted to classify to the second round :D , eventhough it was Germany's idea 8-) )

From what i saw at that world cup i considered Figueroa a great defender, but not the best of the world or the history. But when i discovered some things about him my thoughts about him being the best defender of all times started to change.

The first thing i discovered about him is that he played that world cup completly overweight, in a really bad physicall condition (apperently this was because of some problems of organisation of the chilean federetion in their preparation for the world cup), but this didn´t stop him from running, jumping and stealling balls in a very good way. The other thing i discovered is that he played that world cup with the fat-finger of his right foot completly broken. He had broken his finger in a really silly way in the preparation for the world cup, and Chile's coach was ashamed to admit this, saw he made him play anyways. But this didn't affected his precise passes and dribbles. The last thing i discovered was that at that World Cup he was a grand-parent (he was quite old), and he could still run and mark well. Once i had discovered this I started to investigate things about him, and i am know completly sure he is one of the best defenders of all times... This were some of the results of my investigations:

1) This were his titles:

With Peñarol
Champion of Primera División Uruguaya: 1967 and 1968
Winner of Intercontinental Champions Super Cup: 1969
Winner of Competencia Tournament: 1967
Winner of Honour Tournament: 1967
Winner of Cuadrangular Tournament: 1968 & 1970
Winner of Atlántico Sur Cup: 1972
Winner of Copa Principe Juan de España: 1972
Winner of Príncipe Juan de España Cup: 1972
Winner of Montevideo Cup: 1971

With Internacional
Champion of Campeonato Gaúcho: 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975 & 1976
Champion of Campeonato Brasileiro Série A: 1975 & 1976

With Palestino
Winner of Chile Cup: 1977
Champion of Primera División de Chile: 1978

With Fort Lauderdale Strikers
Winner of 1982 North American Soccer League season (Southern Division): 1982

With Colo Colo
Winner of Primera División de Chile: 1983

2) His individual achievements:

-Best player of all uruguay in 1967 and 1968
-Best defender of uruguay in all the years he played there
-Man of the tournament and champion of Intercontinental champions Cup (they won this tournament against Pele's Santos)
-In 1972, were most of the 1970 world cup brazilian champions were playing in brazil, figueroa was chosen the best of all the brazilian league. He won this prize again in 1976
-In 1972, 1974, 1975 and 1976 he was chosen the best defender of brazil
-In 1974, 1975 and 1976 he was chosen the best player of all America
-In 1975 and 1976 he was chosen the best player OF THE WORLD
-In his time he became the second most expensibe player of the world (only Pele's transfer to Cosmos was more expensive), even though it wasn't because of a transfer, but because of a life insurance policy International de Porto Alegre paid for him. This made him more expensive than Beckenbauer or Cruyff
-He was the captain of all the teams on which he played
-He made his first appereance in profesional football at 15 years
-Made his first appereance in the Chile National football team at 17 years
-Played 3 world cup (1966,1974,1982) with a team that isn't use to go to the world cups (Chile)
-Ideal team of 1974 world cup
-Ideal team of South America in the history
-8th best south american player of the history
-Maracaná stadium hall of fame
-Best chilean player ever (far over Salas, Zamorano and Leonel Sánchez
-FIFA 100
-Best foreign player to ever play in Uruguay
-Best foreign Player to ever play in Brazil

a little video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1uAXyosMhg

Extra Info

1) He was a sparring of brazil´s World champion team in 1962, at the age of 15. Pele, Didi, Garrincha, Vavá and other players were amused by the huge abbility of this 15 years old boy, that was able to mark them better than any other profesional defender of the world cup teams they played with.

2) In the 1974 world cup all the German fans antending to the stadium to see Chile's matches gaved standing ovations to Elías Figueroa when the matchs were over, even if Chile hadn't win.

3) He made a strange and vey effective football trick. When he was with the ball he sometimes runned towards his own goal at a slow pase, with the "intention" of giving a pass to his goalkeeper. When strikers saw this they runned towards him with the intention of stealing the ball or intercepting the "future pass". When Elias Figueroa was facing his own goal and the striker was very close to his back, running at full speed Figueroa will softly pass the ball over his head, turn around and continue dribbling, while the confused striker, that wasn't able to stop, would have run a long way leaving Figueroa completly alone. Pelé, Roberto Dinamite and Gerd Müller between others suffered "Don Elías" (or "Mr. Elías", as he was nicknamed) trick.

4) Franz Beckenbauer was one year older than Elías Figueroa (so he had one more year of experiance). In 1966 Beckenbauer was allready one of the best Players/defenders of Europe. At the start of the 70', when Beckenbauer was allreday a superb player, he was called "the European Elías Figueroa", by some european people and europe football comentarists, periodists and managers.

5) When he played for International of Porto Alegre, something really stranged happened. Hundred of brazilian sick children were brought by brazilians of all parts of the country to Elias Figueroa's house. They thought Elias Figueroa was so good he must had some magical power, and that he could heal sick people.

This were just some of many short stories about Elias Figueroa, just to show how good and important he was.

Now, going to his stats this are my conclusions. First of all I want to inform you i have been lucky enough to watch lots of Elias Figueroa match's and i could also see almost all his 1974 season (for me the best of all his seasons), even thought i didn't watch it in 1974, but 10 years later :) . With all this I´m traing to say I know what i'm talking about ;) , even though i'm not forcing to to change your stats, i am just giving my opinion:

-Attack: Low 70' seem fine to me, he like to score goals and attack. I don't think he diserves colurs, after all he didn´t ALLWAYS went to the rival's box to attack, but 60' seems to little.

-Defense: 97, for me, is perfect. 98 is also OK (in case you want to change), but 97 is just fine.

-Body Balance: I think he dosen't diserve less than 90. Between 90 and 92 seems good enough for me. He was able to steal the ball from anybody, in the "shoulder to shoulder" battle for the ball he allways won. he also camed victorius of all the crosses, free kicks and corner kicks, this wouldn't have been possible without a huge body balance. 89 isn't bad at all for a noral defender, but it isn´t enough for "Mr. Elías"

-Stamina: Some people are proposing really high stamina and that's OK. After all he runned a lot, he covered well and he didn't get tired easily. But I really thing 88 is high enough. Even 90 seems accurete for me, but if I had to choose I'll stay with 88-89. I prefer to priviledge a high Form/Condition/Fitness (7 or 8 for me)

-Speed: He was quick, but not quicker than the values you propose. Mid 80' is enough. Also they put acceleration is 3 points greater than top speed, something that is completly accurate ;)

-Response: The value you propose represent perfectly this player. I think this value shouldn't be increased more than one point, and shouldn't be decreased. In this asspect he is worst than other extraordinary defenses and thats correct. This wasn't his biggest virtue (even thought his response was still awsome), his major virtues was his strenght, technique and his capacity to win in the air.

-Agility/DA and DS: This was one of his better abilities. I think all this values should be increase in one or two points, he was very good with the ball on his feet; allways accurete and calm. I also think his DA should be bigger than his DS. For instance; DA84 and DS83 or DA85 and DS84. As I said before he had a very precise dribble. It's true he could also run long distances with the ball (even thought he didn't abuse of this resource) without having to use much skill to pass throw other players. But, in my opinion, this was more because of his DA and his BB rather than his DS

-Shot accuracy and Passes accuracy and speed: They are correct, efficient passes but nothing really remarcable.

-Shot power: He had a really powerfull shot and a very long and also when he needed to clear the ball it get really far. I personally think that his abilities should be between 85-89

-Shot tecnique: I´ve never known this, i hope somebody can answer this doubt: DOSE SHOT TECHNIQUE AFFECT A PLAYER'S HEADER? If the answer is YES, ST could be increased (79-82); and if the ansewer is NO, ST could be decrease to 75

-FKA and curling: He sometimes took Free kicks (I even saw him score a good free kick goal once). I think 74 is a more standarded value for him. if somebody wants you could even put 78 and it will still be correct. Curling is OK

-Header: I totally agree with "Rated-R" about header and jump. Heading wasn't the thing he did best, it was jumping. Citing Rated-R: "Product of the big jump at times lost his direction, although the vast majority could give you power and precision", totally correct. I propose to decrease it to 88 or 89

-Jump: I also agree with Rated-R in this one. I also see him close to Zamorano or "Chita" Cruz (to excelent chilean jumpers), and to continue with the ladder i propose 95 or 96. This was on of his major virtues.

Jump P.S.: In case you were wondering "How the F*** is Humberto Cruz?", I also thought the same, and did some reaserch...Humberto Cruz was a Chilean defender of 1.63m how was borned in 1939 that was able to jump...1 metre! :o , this meant that he could be marking a to 2.10m guy that jumps 40cm, and he will still win him in a cross. (I, in my better days at Wien Highschool, could jump 55cm... I was the better jumper of all my classmate :lol: )

-Technique: I think 85 is enough. I had personally put 86 or 87, even though any stat up to 89 could be considered correct.

-Aggression: I think 65 is not enough for Figueroa. I would have put something between high 70' and mid-80'. He advanced and marked with al lot of force a agresivity. His header was also aggressive.

-Mentality: He did very good in this. But I also agree with some of the persons that have post before, that consider this value a bit high. 98 ain't wrong, but something arund 95 is more correct

-Team Work: The same as with Mentality. He really knew what it was to play in a team, he usually prefered to give the short simple pass rather than trying to pass throw somebody. But his teamworkness (if that word exist :) , in Austria we would call it "Teamgeist", just like the 2006 world cup ball), wasn't magnific either. So, again, 94 isn't wrong, but something around 90 is more correct

-Form Condition Fitness: Between 7 and 8, as I said in "stamina". It was very difficult for him to get tierd

-WFA-WFF: 5 is just right, he was a bit above the average with his left foot.

Growth type: I think "Late" or "Late/Lasting" would me more suitable, after all he retierd at the age of 36, won his last tournament at the age of 36 and played his last world cup at the age of 35.

Age: I personally think is when he had 28 (1974), even though his era might be between 28-30 (1974-1976) or even 26-32 (1972-1978). His golden years in Peñarol 21-23 (1967-1969) could also be consider as one era, but I think he was better in the 70'. In the age you put 25 (1971). I´m pretty sure that wasn't his best year

This really long post (yes it's finally getting to the end) was specially directed to all the ones how though Elias Figueroa was overrated...They should investigate before posting.

Thx for reading :D
zguc

Postby zguc » 2010 May 06, 23:11

Congratulations to the post.
El orgullo y desafío.
Classical

Postby Classical » 2010 May 07, 08:06

Very good investigation on Don Elias, indeed.
Turu Flores

Postby Turu Flores » 2010 May 17, 01:23

there is something that anyone said, is that despite his position, defense, only one time he receive a red card during his all career, which mean of his abilities ;)
Oriello

Re: Elías FIGUEROA | 1974-1976

Postby Oriello » 2010 May 17, 12:38

Yeah but a good many half decent defenders from that 60's early 70's era tended to get away with more nasty challenges - before football became a mixed sport like it is nowadays where girls like Sergio Busquets play alongside men. :P

Just to note, I was researching old Legia Warsaw players and stumbled onto a massive statistics gold mine (http://www.legia.net/historia/index.php) and Zygfryd Blaut a competent defender only got booked only once in his career and even Jacek Gmoch who was a fair but 'robust' :lol: tackler never got booked!
Rated-R

Postby Rated-R » 2010 May 17, 21:16

Falco wrote:-Response: The value you propose represent perfectly this player. I think this value shouldn't be increased more than one point, and shouldn't be decreased. In this asspect he is worst than other extraordinary defenses and thats correct. This wasn't his biggest virtue (even thought his response was still awsome), his major virtues was his strenght, technique and his capacity to win in the air.

No man, Response was far one of the best attributes of Elias, great playing read, cleaning impressive in his tackles, he wins all the second balls, large advances defensive and offensive, anti goal porcher (he cancel Gerd Muller in WC 1974), no doubt for me his Response must be the closest to Beckenbauer.

Team Work: leaves me rather unhappy he was a true leader capable of guiding and leading any team from the defense, was a great defense with anyone.
On many occasions, Elias was the mastermind of the team, all attacks on passers-by, if not decided to take his "spear" and send it to attack.

I personally rated his in 92

Off-Topic: Finally someone with whom to discuss, on this great player ;)

Phil

Postby Phil » 2010 May 22, 12:13

Who updated him ? He's been overrated in some areas imo, 85 for DA seems too high to me, comparing him to the likes of Sammer (82) and Scirea (82) and who are both very competent players on the ball. Same with TECH and also DS, comparing him to Classic Lucio (85) in DS who absolutes bombs down the pitch with the ball, whereas Figueroa seems a lot more elegant and relaxed coming forward, maybe a low 80 number ? BB looks too much for me also, no doubt he was strong but stronger than a prime Kolo Toure (who is smaller and lighter) I don't think so tbh, 89 for me is enough. I'm not sure about jump though, I'd have to look into it a bit, but currently he's on par with Tim Cahill who is significantly smaller and from what I've seen from both players Cahill has the better leap. Mentality should not be above Passarella either or equal to present day Puyol! He was determined no doubt but have you seen Puyol play ? He's a freakin animal on the pitch and there is definately a difference between the two, low 90's maximum imo.
psiqueus

Postby psiqueus » 2010 May 24, 06:28

A really interesting discussion is taking place here. For what I've seen in footage/videos/VHS tapes of different matches, principally of 1966 and 1974 Fifa World Cups (this information covers the three matches Elías played in each cup), he was pretty strong, I would say very similar to Paolo Montero, maybe even stronger. "Don Elías" was nearly a force of nature in crosses, tackles and one-on-one confrontations, being one of the main pillars of this his physical strenght. When I say "main pillars", I mean one of the three main features, being the others his defensive skills and his respone/reading of the game. Taking into account the differences in weight and height, and the different comments here cited regarding balance (posts of Classical, Rated-R, Falco, Oriello, Andykeikei), I think balance 90 is OK. Now, regarding DA and Technique, a more complete discussion appears to be very necessary. Two positions are drawn briefly: first, those who consider Elías a regular/"normal"/mediocre dribbler; and, secondly, those that rescue, his ability to "humiliate" the front rivals (a bold gesture, I might add), as well as their ability to get the ball dominated elegance and security. Personally, I feel that he was close to Maldini in DA, maybe slightly better than the older CB (2002-2003) version. Testing in the game was also done with players of diverse skill levels, in order to cover the variance (or try to cover, because I only've classified five regular PES gamers in the following levels: "virtuoso/master", skillful, capable, "little faith" and clumsy). I would try to reveal and disclose the aims, method and results very soon (it was a very simple proposal, however).

For now, I updated Elías according the suggestions of Rated-R and Falco, with which, needless to say that I agree.
Plava Čigra

Postby Plava Čigra » 2010 May 24, 08:15

Thanks for your explanation psiqueus. I saw that you edited first post and I've waited to read your explanation. Just in future list the changes you've done ;) . Since I have previous version I'll list the changes this time.

Balance: 89>90 (first raised on 92, now it's 90),
Agility: 80>83,
Dribble Accuracy: 82>84,
Dribble Speed: 83<80,
Short Pass Accuracy: 80<77,
Shot Power: 81>87,
Shot Technique: 78<75,
Free Kick Accuracy: 64>74,
Header: 90<88,
Jump: 93>96,
Mentality/Tenacity: 98<95,
Team Work: 94<90.