Jimmy Johnstone | 1966-1970

Moderators: Korinov, Epsi, Adrien, jurgens, Brezza, frshmn, Albo7

Jimmy Johnstone | 1966-1970

Postby PES Stats Database » 2008 Dec 10, 19:03

Club: Celtic FC

Growth type: Early/Lasting

INFO:

Spoiler: show
Jimmy Johnstone, one of the most prolific wings & finest football personalities with over 500 games and 130 goals for the Celts. He was one of the smallest too... In 2002, "Jinky" was voted by Celtic-fans as the greatest player to ever play for the club. "Jinky" and the rest of the Lisbon Lions went into history books when they won the European Cup in 1967 by defeating the superstars of Internazionale who played the defensive tactic "Catenaccio". Not only were they 11 players from the same nation, but they also lived not far from each other! Johnstone played a major part in that achievement.

Johnstone was afraid of flying, so Jock Stein (manager at that time) used to take an advantage of this, especially in European Cup away matches. Stein used to encourage Johnstone that if he could help to get the team a good result in the home game, he would not have to take long flights for the away matches. One incident was an European Cup match against Red Star Belgrade. Stein said to Johnstone that if he'd help the team to get a good result in the home game, he could stay home while the others went to Yugoslavia. He netted 2 goals and assisted 3 goals...

Tiny Johnstone had the habit to cause havoc in the opponents defence, especially the opponent full-backs. He did so with the likes of Bertie "the terrier" Vogts and Terry Cooper. Johnstone used to toy around so much that Terry Cooper once managed to fall on his butt. Cooper even tried to kick Johnstone in some cases, but failed to do so as Johnstone just went past him. Although Vogts was a hard-worker that almost never gave up in a duel, he once claimed that although he was in a great form, Johnstone still managed to cause a lot of problems for him.

Johnstone capped only 23 times for Scotland. At that time, most of the national team contained players from the archrivals of Celtic, Rangers. Most of the national team supporters were also Rangers-supporters which caused Johnstone some issues during matches. Whenever Johnstone got the ball, the supporters started to boo/shout and winding up Johnstone. He later asked to not be a part of the national team, so he "retired" from playing for the national team.

One thing that not many people knew until recently... He was not far from signing for Manchester United, but he eventually chose Celtic as his team. Even Ferguson had to put on a smile and say "imagine that... Johnstone, Charlton and Best... imagine that..."

Johnstone died in 2006 after he was diagnosed with motor neurone disease in 2001. He was greatly tributed during the Scottish League Cup Final where there was a minute of applause before the kick-off. The entire Celtic squad wore the number 7 on both the front and back of their shirts to honour Johnstone. Also, after the match, the Celtic players wore shirts with the squad name "Jinky" and the number 7 as a further tribute to Johnstone.

VIDEOS:

ADDITIONAL LINKS:

http://www.jimmyjohnstone.com/biography/default.asp

http://www.jimmyjohnstone.com/stats/default.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Johnstone

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... stone.html

http://www.celticfc.net/home/players/pl ... stone.aspx

http://menssoccercleats.mesothelioma-la ... rs-i-like/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... atoms.html

http://www.celebheights.com/s/Rod-Stewart-252.html

Last edited by vinnie on 2014 Apr 26, 08:53, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: updated picture, added two new videos to replace old ones.
PES Stats Database

by »

Re: Jimmy JOHNSTONE | 1967-70

Postby Plava Čigra » 2009 Sep 21, 00:50

Please correct his Era to 1966/1970 (Age: 22-26). He played during whole 1966/1967 season with great successes.

Plava Čigra

Re: Jimmy JOHNSTONE | 1966-1970

Postby Plava Čigra » 2010 Jan 17, 13:15

Updated to fit the new format. Bare in mind that S19: Quick Scissor Dribble is given because I saw him doing a version of that dribbling.

Changes...

Added weight (60 kg) and changed height, 157>163 cm. There are different data about his height and weight on the internet (height goes from 151-170 cm and weight from 60-62 kg) but I relied on this data from his official site (http://www.jimmyjohnstone.com/biography/default.asp):

It’s a testimony to Johnstone’s magical balance, dribbling skills and sheer athleticism that he managed to play at the highest level for over 12 years without suffering a serious injury for, at just 5ft 4in and nine-and-a-half stones, he was invariably picked upon by tough, but insecure opposition defenders.

Removed AMF, because I haven't found any data about Johnstone playing at that position.

Defence: 54<50 - It is my opinion that Jinky knew how to put solid pressure on his opponents, but 54 for Defence was too much (M. Laudrup is on 52, Cruyff is currently on 54, although Cruyff could go up to 60 or more).

Acceleration: 93>94 - I think that Acceleration should be over TS, and 94 seems like good value for him (if I'm completely honest, I think his Acceleration could be bumped to red area, but I would rather wait for somebody who could confirm this impression of mine).

Agility: 98<97 - Updated by Brezza (don't know when this update occurred). I think it looks better now.

Dribble Accuracy: 97<96 - Updated by Brezza (don't know when this update occurred). I think it looks ok now (but I wouldn't have a problem if we assign 97 again).

Short Pass Accuracy: 76>79 & Short Pass Speed: 75>78 - I think these values suit him better. He was a bit better at short passing.

Shot Accuracy: 82>83, Shot Power: 81>82, Shot Technique: 81>82 - Really good shooter. I think 1 point raise in every shooting segment is appropriate. People tend to underestimate his shooting a bit, due to his excellent dribbling and technique.

Free Kick Accuracy: 68>70 - He took short free kicks often, and sometimes even crossed from long free kicks. FKA: 70 won't make him dangerous FK taker, but I feel it suits him better then 68.

Curling: 77>78 - Again, just felt like 78 suits him better.

Header: 71>74 - I saw him scoring a few headers. It was mainly due to his jump, but his heading ability looked decent.

Jump: 83>84 - As I said he was really high jumper. In some videos his jumping ability looked really amazing (although he wasn't that often in the situation to score a header).

Technique: 96<95 - Updated by Brezza (don't know when this update occurred). I think it looks better now.

Team Work: 84<82 - This reduction is mainly because he liked to hold the ball, in order to give his teammates time to breath. If I was looking only at level of his understanding of his teammates moves, I would keep 84 ;).

I want to thank Brezza for lowering his Agility, DA and Technique. Although it was a silent update, it shows that we're trying to make players better and more precise. Cheers mate. :)

And for the end, I want to say that I think that original stats creator didn't went overboard and that these were very good stats from the beginning. :)

Plava Čigra

Postby Alcohomicide » 2010 Jan 17, 18:21

I live with a huge Celtic fan who is a massive massive fan of Johnstone and these stats may've just inspired him to play pro evo with me for once! Good work.

"When we were winning leagues and European Cups at Real I always said Makelele was our most important player. There is no way myself Figo or Raúl would have been able to do what we did without Claude and the same goes for Liverpool and Gerrard."
Alcohomicide

Postby cocopie » 2011 Oct 16, 21:13

great video . ;)

cocopie

Postby Brezza » 2011 Oct 18, 21:11

Great video thanks. 8-) Mesmerizing close control such an underrated talent. Agility and speed stats do look abit overdone considering how tiny he was.

" If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
Brezza

Postby Nrby » 2011 Oct 18, 21:33

Plava Čigra wrote:Team Work: 84<82 - This reduction is mainly because he liked to hold the ball, in order to give his teammates time to breath. If I was looking only at level of his understanding of his teammates moves, I would keep 84 ;).
he obviously loved the ball ... but form the last video I've seen just now he seamed to see some really good passes ... although marking seemed terrible in some cases for the player that received the ball from him ... still some very modern through passes some of them

Nrby

Postby Alex » 2012 Jan 06, 19:31

Alex

Postby Adrien » 2012 May 25, 09:49

Does anyone have enough knowledge for him to do a global new set with standard of stats. If you take a look at Konami stats for this era (60'), you can see that they reduced a lot than ours the physical stats like stamina, BB, and a little lower the speed stats like TS, Acc, Agi. I find it really better to replicate in game the low style of game of this era. So anyone for a new set, will be welcome ;)

They have eyes but cannot see; they have ears, but cannot hear; they have tongues, but cannot speak. They are like cattle.
Adrien

Postby blumbas » 2012 Aug 21, 11:03

This set must be update by new standars of 50's/60's players.

blumbas

Postby reckless » 2012 Oct 10, 20:42

93 top speed? Come on. He was nowhere near that speed. That's the speed Ronaldo has on here.

reckless

Postby blumbas » 2012 Dec 03, 21:33

Could anyone change this set by new standars?
I think his TS and BB are too much for Jimmy. He had great acceleration and really good close control, but not that speed.
And SPS and LPS to green or white.
Sorry for my English.
Good compilation for him:

Last edited by vinnie on 2014 Apr 26, 07:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link.
blumbas

Postby cocopie » 2012 Dec 04, 12:24

He should have s05 1-touch play.

cocopie

Re: Jimmy Johnstone | 1966-1970

Postby The Raven » 2013 Jun 23, 05:49

Could someone post the removed stat values?
I mean Acceleration, Shot Technique and Aggression, I still play the PS2 versions...
Thanks!

The Raven is back...
The Raven

Postby Roy » 2013 Jun 23, 06:41

The Raven wrote:Could someone post the removed stat values?
I mean Acceleration, Shot Technique and Aggression, I still play the PS2 versions...
Thanks!

Just look on the DB...

jurgens wrote:i could take a shit on my keyboard and produce something that has more relevance in game

jurgens wrote:the only muscle you'll ever have is that of a better man than yous cock

Varane002 wrote:My suggestion is that the explosive power is between 80 - 81. Is very agile despite its 1.90 m. In the game with explosive power 70 is very trunk.
Roy

Postby Yazid » 2014 Mar 11, 16:40

96 DA is very conservative from what I've seen...I play with at least 97.

Yazid

Postby vinnie » 2014 Apr 26, 08:27

I made some changes to the set

Set pre-update:
Attack: 86
Defence: 50
Balance: 78
Stamina: 85
Top Speed: 86
Acceleration: 94
Response: 80
Agility: 97
Dribble Accuracy: 96
Dribble Speed: 95
Short Pass Accuracy: 79
Short Pass Speed: 72
Long Pass Accuracy: 85
Long Pass Speed: 76
Shot Accuracy: 83
Shot Power: 78
Shot Technique: 82
Free Kick Accuracy: 70
Curling: 78
Header: 74
Jump: 86
Technique: 95
Aggression: 96
Mentality: 82
Keeper Skills: 50
Teamwork: 75

I've looked at him, and i don't see him nearly as this devestating in terms of speed, i think that 95 ds is far from what johnstone was, johnstone was an incredible incredible dribbler, i have to agree with yazid, 97 DA is the least he deserves, i was actually wavering between 97 and 98 for a while; but he didn't have nearly this capability of dribbling at full velocity like a messi or robben could. He was an incredible dribbler, but he lost quite a bit of speed on the ball, and players could really catch up to him in not too far of a distance. He wasn't slow on the ball, still quite quick, but i'm really sure that he's around 86 or so DS. Johnstone was much more about control then speed or even agility in my opinion. I want to lower agility to 96 but whatever, it's not a big difference and i can see some instances that can justifiy such a value.. just that in his turns i don't actually see him above a sanchez or messi.

other stuff i couldn't see too much about, but he's an incredible jumper, he's not worthy of 86 ts fast, but has a very very great burst of acceleration that justifies the 94 he had. He's also a pretty fantastic attacking player, dribbling aside he's really aware of his teammates, and his passing was better then the 79 he had in my opinion, so i raised it to 83. He could really pull defenders out of position, and thread short but accurate through balls as a frequent technique,

If you don't put effort into your post, i won't put effort in my response.
vinnie

Return to 60's