Didi | 1957-1959

Moderators: Korinov, Epsi, Adrien, Albo7, jurgens, Brezza, frshmn, Korinov, Epsi, Adrien, Albo7, frshmn, jurgens, Brezza

PES Stats Database

Didi | 1957-1959

Postby PES Stats Database » 2008 Dec 10, 17:15

Name: Waldyr "Didi" Pereira
Nickname: "The Prince Ethiopian" ("O Príncipe Etíope")
Club: Botafogo

Growth type: Standard/Lasting

INFO:

Spoiler: show
Waldyr Pereira (October 8, 1929 – May 12, 2001), nicknamed Didi, was a Brazilian football midfield player who played in three World Cups: 1954, 1958, and 1962, winning the latter two. He is considered to be one of the greatest midfielders ever. He had incredibly accurate passing, great stamina and strength and he scored many goals.

Born in Rio de Janeiro, he nearly had his right leg amputated when he was 14 due to a severe infection. He recovered and played for some clubs in Campos dos Goytacazes. He became professional playing for Americano de Campos. He came to prominence when he joined Fluminense in 1949. During seven seasons with the club he won the Campeonato carioca in 1951 and Copa de Rio in 1952. He became famous for being an intelligent player and for his "folha seca" ("falling leaf") kicks, where the ball would swerve seemingly downwards at the right time resulting in a goal.

During the 1954 World Cup he scored goals against Mexico and Yugoslavia, before Brazil's defeat to the favorites Hungary. This match was infamously known as the Battle of Berne; Didi was involved with the brawl that followed this bad-tempered match.

At club level, he moved to Botafogo, winning the Campeonato Carioca (Rio state championship) in 1957. Didi had previously promised to walk from the Maracanã to Botafogo's clubhouse in his kit if Botafogo won the championship; 5,000 Botafogo fans joined him as he did so.

His greatest achievement came at the 1958 World Cup where he was player of the tournament. From midfield, he masterminded the first of his two World Cup successes for Brazil. In 68 international matches he scored 20 goals, including a dozen using his trademark free-kicks.

In 1959 he was signed by Real Madrid of Spain. Despite his great reputation after the 1958 World Cup he played only 19 matches (6 goals) for the Spaniards and often clashed with the team leader Alfredo Di Stéfano, who felt offended by the divide in the fan’s attention with this newcomer; this situation precipitated his exit from the club. After success at the 1962 World Cup, he decided to become a coach.

PLAYING HONOURS:

* Campeonato Carioca: 1951, 1957, 1961, 1962
* Copa Rio: 1952
* Pan American Games: 1952
* Atlantic Cup: 1956
* FIFA World Cup: 1958, 1962
* Copa Oswaldo Cruz: 1955, 1958, 1961, 1962
* UEFA Champions League: 1959, 1960
* O'Higgins Cup: 1955, 1961
* Rio-São Paulo Tournament: 1962

* Ramon de Carranza Trophy: 1959
* Mexico City Tournament: 1960
* World Cup's top player: 1958

Coach/Manager Career

After retiring as player he began a coach career with Sporting Cristal, and was called to manage the Peru national team in the 1970 World Cup. That team included stars like Teófilo Cubillas and Héctor Chumpitaz were eventually defeated in the quarter finals by Brazil. In 1971 he managed the top Argentine club, River Plate, when he accepted a lucrative position, and had his apex in his coaching career with Fenerbahçe, guiding the team to two consecutive Turkish First Division (later named Turkish Premier Super League) titles in 1973-1974 and later in 1974-1975.

He also coached important Brazilian clubs like Bangu, Fluminense, Botafogo, Cruzeiro, Peruvian club Alianza Lima, Kuwaiti and Saudi national teams.

In October 2000, he was inducted into the FIFA Hall of Champions. By this time he was quite ill and died the following year in Rio de Janeiro from complications arising from intestinal cancer.

Trivia

On June 16, 1950 in a friendly match involving Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo youth state teams, Didi (aged 20), playing for Rio de Janeiro, scored the first ever goal at the Maracanã Stadium.[4]. He is also known as the first person to call the game The Beautiful Game.

VIDEOS:

(scoring a long range shot on 00:50)

ADDITIONAL LINKS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valdir_Pereira

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valdir_Pereira

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didi

http://www.world-cup-betting.me.uk/legend-didi.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/17/sport ... gewanted=1
jfb33

Re: DIDI | 1957-1959

Postby jfb33 » 2010 May 27, 22:54

Which FK style should I use for him?
Danilo Cruz

Postby Danilo Cruz » 2010 Jun 12, 02:06

Didi was nicknamed "The Prince Ethiopian" ("O Príncipe Etíope").
Dagoods

Postby Dagoods » 2011 Oct 28, 18:16

Here's a video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxJmoc3qgQc
(Di Stefano, Puskas, and Didi) during training...
Deus84

Postby Deus84 » 2012 Jan 25, 13:17

Didi and Gérson are the two best Playmaker Brazil has ever had. According to football experts and historians Didì was the better player in terms of passing skills: so why he has

Short Pass Accuracy: 93
Short Pass Speed: 86
Long Pass Accuracy: 93
Long Pass Speed: 85

while Gérson has:

Short Pass Accuracy: 95
Short Pass Speed: 85
Long Pass Accuracy: 96
Long Pass Speed: 86

Honestly i think you should swap them. I'm currently reading a book written by Gianni Brera (a famous italian sport journalist and one of the greatest football expert ever: he said that didì was a better playmaker and had slightly better vision than gérson who, on the contrary, had a better shoot.

Cheers ;)
Brezza

Postby Brezza » 2012 Jun 27, 18:50

Deus84 wrote:Didi and Gérson are the two best Playmaker Brazil has ever had. According to football experts and historians Didì was the better player in terms of passing skills: so why he has

Short Pass Accuracy: 93
Short Pass Speed: 86
Long Pass Accuracy: 93
Long Pass Speed: 85

while Gérson has:

Short Pass Accuracy: 95
Short Pass Speed: 85
Long Pass Accuracy: 96
Long Pass Speed: 86

Honestly i think you should swap them. I'm currently reading a book written by Gianni Brera (a famous italian sport journalist and one of the greatest football expert ever: he said that didì was a better playmaker and had slightly better vision than gérson who, on the contrary, had a better shoot.

Cheers ;)

Agreed with swapping their SPA. Didi can have better attack to represent his vision and he was much better supporting of other team-mates off the ball as well.

Pretty sure Gerson was better in LPA from what Ive seen though it was pretty much his trademark.I also think he had harder shot but I think Didi showed better placement as you can expect from such a free kick expert)

Overall updated both players to new standards based on their stats from pro evo 4 to represent their slow, sometimes static style. Also adjusted attack/def ratio accordingly especially after previous discussion with ManiacButcher in the Brazil all star thread. Both played in a deep playmaker or 'segundo-volantes' role than a pure DM. Falcao could play this role as well but was far more responsive off the ball and more box-box.
milanillo

Postby milanillo » 2012 Sep 16, 12:41

What his free kick style is ?
Which type can I use for him ?
milanillo

Postby milanillo » 2012 Sep 16, 12:54

What his free kick style is ?
Which type can I use for him ?
Vickingo

Re: Didi | 1957-1959

Postby Vickingo » 2017 Jan 27, 16:16

Well I made it to watch some good footage from him, and I watched it without see any number from this set to don't be influenced by that. And I think the set is quite good overall but it seems it missed all the revolutions.

My impression of him is that he was a player that could play in modern football without any problem, obviously working more at his physique in terms of speed...but the guy was incredible good. I liked him a lot all the images I watched from Didi, mostly from 1958 and 1962.

The "Mr Football" thing looks pretty spot on, he was an all around midfielder with incredible technical skills and knowledge about giving football to all the team in a very disorganizated style of playing back then.

He had a good eye in attack, always retaining the ball in front of his marker outside the box and looking for the exact pass to let a teammate in front of the keeper, that's why he used to fail quite a good amount of passes but his vision was clearly amazing...specially taking into account how defenders used to be one near the next one and let tiny spaces to pass the ball. Also his dispossesing ability was quite good, there are some examples, good timing to put the leg and steal the ball, specially when Didi lost the ball and had to go to the defence...waited for the moment and stole the ball. Clearly it wasn't his best asset but it was really good at it...but I was more impressed about his response, he was really good at it...his reading of the ball in defence was almost as good as in attack. He used to hide his intentions until the opponent made a pass, so he went quickly for the ball. I'd keep his current number in attack and probably raise his defence to 75, also raising his response to 83/84.

I find weird current value at BB. Sinceraly I didn't find a strong player, at all i'd say. He tried to avoid physical contact and he was easily dispossesed when he went for a body battle, he wasn't that kind of player who used to use his body balance to protect the ball, he relied more from his agility to scape defenders. I'd decrease it to low greens. About agility, yeah he wasn't that insane agile player but he was really fast at his feet and his quick movements on his da, current number is ok. About his speed, he was really slow, he didn't use his speed at all off the ball, only to intercept balls...when he moved all around to get the ball he was in a very slow or normal speed...current number in ts/acc are ok probably i'd switch them and decrease it even more his TS. BUT his DS was quite good i'd say, he ran a lot forward, quite aggressive player on dribbling...i'd say he was low greens in DS. I've never watched him using his header, either jumping...i'd taken down to players like Xavi or Riquelme...probably his jump was smth like 65 and head the same, or a bit more but wasn't a part of his game.

I was amazed about his 1st touch, seriously he looked so easy when he stopped balls, aerial ones, strong passes or even using his chest, there's no much explanations more than look at his actions, smooth controls and quickly ones to start attacks fast. He reminded me Bochini in terms of the way he used to stop aerial balls in one movement. Current number is ok but without exaggerate could be reds. His da is well rated, always using it to retain possesion, surpassing so easily players and using it in really tiny spaces and even in the box with closed defences. Same with his passing but I'd take down ten points his SPS, he didn't use it at all, it wasn't a factor and it's overrate it to put at mid yellows...he used to make 1-2 passes all the time with the cf and look for the forward pass to shot (this is what I was talking about https://youtu.be/Y6-mzScM0xM?t=48...that's why he failed quite a lot in final metres, because of his lack of pace and almost impossible passes. Aside that, he tried a lot to pass the ball forward but his range wasn't good...I'd say he wasn't that good as Bochini and taking into account it's rated at 92 (I disagree with that but well), i'd take down it a little to make him less dangerous and as he was irl. His long passing was amazing really, didn't use it that much but to "clean" the ball to the sides, smth quite unusual in this era...his range at long passing was more than good so I'd keep current numbers.

His shoting was something usual on him, very aggressive shoter and really good at it. I was reading all the time throught some pages that he was an amazing FK taker, but in the games and images i watched, never scored once...so I can't tell so much about it BUT the technique was in there. Probably he needs long ranger as well. Also his SP wasn't at 86 by any means in my eyes, with 81/82 you can shot that hard.

EDIT: There is a couple in here https://youtu.be/Y6-mzScM0xM?t=53
https://youtu.be/Y6-mzScM0xM?t=157

STA, TW and MENT are well rated, a real leader in all sense and physically he was insane for his era, always running from here to there, asking for the ball and going forward and tracking back to recover the ball. I was more impressed about his tw, which was just fantastic, his understood and knowledge of what was happening in the game is at top levels.

About cards, he clearly needs 1st touch (can't believe he doesn't have it).

Here are the vids, you must discover this guy if you don't know him. It would be so nice to have this image quality from all players from this era:
Spoiler: show

Vickingo

Re: Didi | 1957-1959

Postby Vickingo » 2017 Jan 30, 13:10

Well, updated.

Return to “50's”