Statistical Analysis

Moderator: Mod's

Statistical Analysis

Postby nilwill » 2011 Jul 17, 08:20

Hi everyone. I'm new to the boards, but I've been using the stats from the site as a basis for a long time. Currently, I study statistics (math major) and economics at the University of Utah and am always looking for new ways to apply my skills.

I was wondering if anyone has ran basic statistical analysis (numerical, graphical, and regressions) on the stats in the database? I'm curious to see where the range is on most statistics, as well as median and mean values of the stats. My theory is that most statistics in the game should have a mean and median close to 70 (which I consider the average for professional players). If not, there must be some bias that needs fixing in order to ensure that gameplay is solid.

Tell me what you think as I'm interested in what everyone has to say. I've played PES since 2001 and spend way too much time on it not to care (game time in PES 2011 is over 500 hours at this point, with 399 in ML).

nilwill

by »

Re: Statistical Analysis

Postby čale » 2011 Jul 17, 11:51

actually i'm very much interested in statistics and find it very amusing to do some research on my own every now and then, i've always used 75 as an average...

Fixer wrote:No wonder there's a 'penetration' stat, all of them players look like rapists

MocaBG wrote:Because you are a nerd and have no life.
čale

Postby adieet » 2011 Jul 17, 13:19

I prefer around 68-74 as average...Got suggestion, how about make a poll ?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
adieet

Postby čale » 2011 Jul 17, 15:40

IMO the current system is very good and functions also very good. the only issue i have is that:
1. kills the difference between slow and fast players as they are too close and then renders most of them not up to the task
2. same goes for passing
3. this one is based on youngsters/lower league/lesser league players and their Att or Def value which is almost similar if not identical to most of those players which kills their uniqueness

Fixer wrote:No wonder there's a 'penetration' stat, all of them players look like rapists

MocaBG wrote:Because you are a nerd and have no life.
čale

Postby nilwill » 2011 Jul 18, 07:41

Thanks for the feedback.

After my post, I thought a lot about the differences between defensive and offensive players, young players and old players. and other categories that would change the average in statistics.

I'm not saying that there needs to be an overall average, but that some of these differences should be normalized. That the aggregated list of defenders would have a defense stat of 70 (or whatever you perceive as average), and aggregated offensive players have an average shooting ability. Of course, we can break these into different categories of young vs experienced (old) players and such. There are players that have certain discernible qualities that differentiate them from other players, but I find it weird when I see a stat that appears too low on a player with average capacity.

Over the next month, I'm going to see where the spread of the stats are in the leagues that are usually included in OFs. Afterwards, I'll post my findings and see what everyone has to say about them. This is mostly for fun, but as well to see overall bias in certain stats.

nilwill

Postby KillaKlo » 2011 Jul 23, 00:50

I'm also studying statistics (TU Dortmund) and I worked a bit with PES data. Do you use R in Utah? Then I could contribute you a workspace, you might be interested in...

PES-Up
KillaKlo

Postby Supaman Stan » 2011 Jul 26, 20:55

nilwill wrote:Currently, I study statistics (math major) and economics at the University of Utah and am always looking for new ways to apply my skills.

That's funny. I'm studying mechanical engineering at the University of Colorado, so I guess we're supposed to be rivals and all since both our schools are going into the Pac-12.

My statistics knowledge is basically everything I learned in the stats class I took last semester, but like you, I'm also looking for places for me to apply my knowledge. I'm down to collaborate on a study if you want to do one sometime.

Supaman Stan

Postby bff » 2012 Jan 28, 01:31

I'm currently finish my IT graduation and specializing in a database sub-area called 'Data Mining'. it is kinda statistical analysis together with some artificial intelligence and neural networks subject.

actually my graduation work is called 'the process of extracting knowledge from virtual soccer championships', and all of my data comes from a PES championship that i play with many friends and we use PSD stats to update our base-pes.

however, all the Data i have is just a small % of this site, because i have to get it in a totally manual way.

i tried many times to get access to the full set of data of PSD, though i never get an answer from nobody.

if i had this data, i could do some amazing analysis on it, would extract some very insteresting information and knowledge !

if anyone related to the PSD site (specially the MySQL administrator) read this, PLEASE, make contact with me.

and everybody else interested in statistical analysis, contact me if we will, i would be glad to share knowledge.

bff

Return to Attributes analysed and explained